As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX AUS Proxy?

2»

• Options
    luckycharmluckycharm Perth, AURegistered User regular
    I'm an American who lives in Australia and I still have my American bank account/Amex =D

• Options
    hackyhacky Registered User regular
    Thanks for running the Aus proxy this year @luckycharm ! Just sent my money for delicious pins...

• Options
    pobblebonkpobblebonk Registered User regular
    Will we be able to preorder any of last year's Tinman pin considering they are still selling them?

• Options
    Will we be able to preorder any of last year's Tinman pin considering they are still selling them?
    No one pay attention to him. My husband is trying to make my head explode!

Speaking of wtf: I can't believe that SMG Studio would bump their prices. So mad. Now I have to go back to all my pinny people and ask for more money or change their order. It makes me look terrible. And if the core sets are actually $40, then I have to bump that up back to $35. Anyone have a confirmation on that?
    @hacky So sorry! Hold off on sending more funds until we have the core set price confirmed. I'll send a PM when I am sure of the actual price.

I thought I had everything nice and ordered, pre-labling my boxes, my excel spreadsheet numbers pretty. Now more issues. *stomps off*

• Options
    vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    @luckycharm.

Post that in the pin quest thread, maybe they'll start to understand why we are annoyed.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    This is sometimes the price you pay for getting information early. Sometimes things need to change.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    'Need' to change, sorry cant agree with that in this instance. Remember we are getting no game, code or discount voucher with these.

• Options
    Capt WasabiCapt Wasabi AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Just saw this on twitter:
    SMG Studio ‏@smgstudio 22h22 hours ago
    @2_slayeru @brushwoodmutt we'll do them for $15 I think and we'll throw in OTTTD steam key

Yeay :)

• Options
    ah thats 100% fair then

• Options
    PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Whilst I can understand a bit of frustration at the situation, lets not get too upset.

Firstly, its not like there are exactly hundreds of partners falling over themselves to be part of Pinny Arcade at PAX Aus. Making threats or demands of SMG Studios regarding what is still the cheapest pin at the show is not really called for. If this is the impression they get of the pinny community, how likely are they to take part again in the future?

Secondly, pin prices in the US are mostly between $10 and $15 USD. With the current exchange rate, that works out to roughly $14-$20 AUD. So charging $10 would have been well below the usual PAX rate. Keep in mind also that the majority of Pinnys don't also include a game code, so we are doing alright.

Finally, it's not like we are dealing with Microsoft or something here. SMG Studios is a small indie studio, and the video game industry is not exactly renowned for being particularly lucrative for small indie studios unless you are extremely lucky. If they have a product that people will be willing to spend $15 on rather than $10, good luck to them. I can't fault them as a business for wanting to maximise a revenue stream. So they mightn't have thought the process the whole way through. Doesn't mean they are bad people. They'll know better for when they hopefully do their next pins.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I agree with @PAX_Skeletor, GET THE PITCHFORKS!

:P

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Whilst I can understand a bit of frustration at the situation, lets not get too upset.

Firstly, its not like there are exactly hundreds of partners falling over themselves to be part of Pinny Arcade at PAX Aus. Making threats or demands of SMG Studios regarding what is still the cheapest pin at the show is not really called for. If this is the impression they get of the pinny community, how likely are they to take part again in the future?

Secondly, pin prices in the US are mostly between $10 and $15 USD. With the current exchange rate, that works out to roughly $14-$20 AUD. So charging $10 would have been well below the usual PAX rate. Keep in mind also that the majority of Pinnys don't also include a game code, so we are doing alright.

Finally, it's not like we are dealing with Microsoft or something here. SMG Studios is a small indie studio, and the video game industry is not exactly renowned for being particularly lucrative for small indie studios unless you are extremely lucky. If they have a product that people will be willing to spend $15 on rather than $10, good luck to them. I can't fault them as a business for wanting to maximise a revenue stream. So they mightn't have thought the process the whole way through. Doesn't mean they are bad people. They'll know better for when they hopefully do their next pins.

Yep. A lot of the time the person running a Twitter account is told one thing when they ask a question, so they respond with that. But in the meantime, the question is bouncing around the company picking up alternate answers, and then it comes back to the original person with a new answer and bits of lint on it. And in this case, I'm guessing that one of the answers it picked up was "well what is everyone else doing? Let's do that."

I'd be interested to see if PA ever produced guidelines for the Partners, beyond the stuff in the contract that sets the floor price (can't sell for below $10). I've said before that having something about booth throughput for demo Pins would be good, but also stuff on the use of the word "limited". We know that once supplies run out there aren't any more, but we don't want confusion with Limited Edition Pins. So maybe advise them to instead say that supplies are finite (don't like that? Grab a thesaurus). Maybe use examples of previous campaigns that have been well received by us, exhibitors and staff? Undead Labs spring to mind, even if the Moonrise Pins didn't get completed they were still the best booth to interact with.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    "Tear the flesh from their bones!" you say?

Well, you have been here longer.

• Options
    EvenstarEvenstar PAX Prime Princess Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    gacbmmmlgacbmmml Registered User regular
    I just sent your a PM. I'll take one of everything!

• Options
    Okay! Prices confirmed finally. Send me a PM asap if you want an order. Payment by Google Wallet at anastasiacooper14@gmail.com. If I don't have an order, payment and address by the end of Saturday Pax, I cannot guarentee your box will go out with the rest and there will probably be a long delay in delivery.
    Core Set: $30
    Red/Blue Pins: $15 each
    Screencheat: $15
    Medius: $15
    To give you an idea, I have been asked to buy at least 35 core sets alone. So if you wait, you will miss out. Thank you and Take care!

• Options
    gacbmmmlgacbmmml Registered User regular
    Okay, so the total cost of one of each is... $75. Gotcha.

• Options
    Heads up, Death Squared pins are actually $20 each or $35 for both and a steam code (same as Tinman basically).

:/

• Options
    brainiac744brainiac744 Registered User regular
    gacbmmml wrote: »
    Okay, so the total cost of one of each is... $75. Gotcha.

I come up with $90, did you forget to double the red/blue pins ($15 each not total)

• Options
    Have no fear, I gave him the death stare when he tried to tell me there was a higher price today than yesterday. He sold me the pins at yesterday's price. All is well. :)
    Doing more boxes for shipping now, so if you haven't paid, please do so now! $90 for 1 of everything.

• Options
    hackyhacky Registered User regular
    It's pin day! They arrived!

Thank you again @luckycharm for taking the time to buy these for us!
    901YHvk.jpg
    (the Starcraft 2 CE happened to come in at the same time)

• Options
    hadiwisthadiwist Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    I also received my AUS pins today! Thank you @luckycharm - the slap bracelet and patch were a fantastic surprise!

• Options
    skellerskeller San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Just joining the chorus singing the praises of @luckycharm -- above and beyond the call of duty, like some sort of black ops person in a modern war. I don't know, that metaphor got away from me. But thanks so much!

• Options
    ThurorThuror Registered User regular
    Also wanted to thank @luckycharm for doing this. Hope we weren't too hard on you :)

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    hacky wrote: »
    It's pin day! They arrived!

Thank you again @luckycharm for taking the time to buy these for us!
    901YHvk.jpg
    (the Starcraft 2 CE happened to come in at the same time)

@hacky dat LotV CE tho

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    AjaxonAjaxon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mine showed up yesterday as well, cheers cheers to @luckycharm !!!

• Options
    theoriginalztheoriginalz PhillyRegistered User regular
    special thanks to @Squire_Pug! my pins just arrived safe and sound. you're a gentleman and a scholar!

Trade pins with me! Pinny LanyardjlB4Ded.png