As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] DEATHRATTLE: ACTIVATE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    That feeling when you play Reno at 1 HP and forget about the one last duplicate in your deck (despite having the decklist right in front of you)....

I messed with the 2 reno decks I copied last night for the first time. lost 2 games in a row waiting to draw my 1 dreadsteed so reno would be active

except there aren't two dreadsteeds in this reno deck

... there's not even 1.

ALWAYS check your deck lists!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Is there a graphic indication as to whether Reno is going to trigger or do you just have to remember what you've played if your deck isn't all singletons?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Is there a graphic indication as to whether Reno is going to trigger or do you just have to remember what you've played if your deck isn't all singletons?

You've got to remember. Also, Beneath the Ground is anti-Reno tech. Rogue OP! :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    All right, I give up. Any deck you dare to make yourself will get slaughtered, I get it. What's the current Rogue deck that stands any kind of chance in this meta?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I think they've said making a graphical indicator would be technically challenging. For some unknown reason...

Redfield, just has to be no duplicates remaining in your deck at the time you play Reno

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    All right, I give up. Any deck you dare to make yourself will get slaughtered, I get it. What's the current Rogue deck that stands any kind of chance in this meta?

The Midrange Deathrattle Rogue has been getting a lot of play and popularity. It's a strong tempo-focused deck that can wreck just about anything when on a roll. Here are two different on the build by taste and card stock:

More aggro vs more control

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

I think they've said making a graphical indicator would be technically challenging. For some unknown reason...

Redfield, just has to be no duplicates remaining in your deck at the time you play Reno

My guess is they iterate through your entire remaining deck at the time he's played to check for dupes. It's inelegant, but would make sense why they wouldn't want to do that when every single card (or even the specific cards that affect your deck) is played or drawn

• Options

My guess is they iterate through your entire remaining deck at the time he's played to check for dupes. It's inelegant, but would make sense why they wouldn't want to do that when every single card (or even the specific cards that affect your deck) is played or drawn

That's the only thing I can think of too. But see, that's actually not a big deal. It's at most 30 iterations. That's... I mean, honestly, that's just really really quick and easy.

So it's gotta be something else, something weird related to quirks of the programming.

Steam profile
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Get a quest to win with Mage, go into casual with my crazy Flamewaker deck and come against an aggro druid deck that I beat. No BMs from me. I play fast and he concedes after a counterspell ruins his attempt to regain board control.

I requeue and get matched against the same guy. He proceeds to rope every turn, playing all his stuff in the last 2-3 seconds of the rope. I greet him and he emotes back, so he's obviously there. Continues to rope every turn even though he's winning. I regain control and start to win, he's topdecking for like 2 turns and then concedes after roping every single freaking turn.

wtf dude

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm sitting here playing control warrior, staring at a haunted creeper, piloted shredder, and nerubian egg, and looking at the brawl in my hand, and just

getting so angry about the state of board clears in this game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

That's the only thing I can think of too. But see, that's actually not a big deal. It's at most 30 iterations. That's... I mean, honestly, that's just really really quick and easy.

So it's gotta be something else, something weird related to quirks of the programming.

Considering any card has the potential to add more cards to the player's deck, that means it would have to loop through the deck every time a card is played.

That being said, there are more elegant ways to keep track of duplicates in a deck. When Reno is drawn, loop through the deck and create a map of all cards that have duplicates, link that map to Reno. When a card is drawn, check the map to see if its in there, if it is, remove from the map if the count says there is only one left. If an effect adds a card to your deck, then loop through to check if any duplicates exist and add to the map if it does.

At this point, the only thing that needs to be checked after a card is played is if the map is empty. If the map is empty, highlight Reno. No longer have to loop through the deck except for when cards are added to the deck. Which will be WAY less than 30.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Considering any card has the potential to add more cards to the player's deck, that means it would have to loop through the deck every time a card is played.

That being said, there are more elegant ways to keep track of duplicates in a deck. When Reno is drawn, loop through the deck and create a map of all cards that have duplicates, link that map to Reno. When a card is drawn, check the map to see if its in there, if it is, remove from the map if the count says there is only one left. If an effect adds a card to your deck, then loop through to check if any duplicates exist and add to the map if it does.

At this point, the only thing that needs to be checked after a card is played is if the map is empty. If the map is empty, highlight Reno. No longer have to loop through the deck except for when cards are added to the deck. Which will be WAY less than 30.

Totally agree that there are more elegant ways to do it. I'm just saying, looping through the deck every time a card is played is still really really easy for a computer. It's got to be another restriction.

Steam profile
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

Totally agree that there are more elegant ways to do it. I'm just saying, looping through the deck every time a card is played is still really really easy for a computer. It's got to be another restriction.

The reason is that card highlighting is done client side and the client doesn't know your deck.

• Options

Looping through the deck every time an effect is triggered is really easy, yeah, if that's the only thing that's happening. The issue that I am sure they are running up against is that there are probably a ton of different things happening and being checked every time any effect could be triggered. Adding looping through the deck is minor, but is probably one of those things where because this also runs on phones and stuff, they want to limit that amount of looping (regardless of how small) in order to keep it at a certain optimization level.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I went to the dark side and made a Reno Warrior.

They shouldn't have worn that Face deck.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I kill my Sylvanis into his Thezud. It steals his Thezud. Get her back. Next turn I steal his 10/7 minion. He wastes resources to kill that and Thezud. I drop AntonFIREBALLFIREBALLIWIN.

Up to Rank 15 full stars. Go team.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Grobian wrote: »

The reason is that card highlighting is done client side and the client doesn't know your deck.

... because if it did, it'd be possible for people to mine the data when you play and know what order their cards were going to appear.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    i just want to get my warrior quest done but no one is playing anything but control

i've been here for an hour!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I AM STILL IN THE MATCH I WAS IN WHEN I POSTED THAT AND IT HAS BEEN 10 MINUTES

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

... because if it did, it'd be possible for people to mine the data when you play and know what order their cards were going to appear.

It's trivial to guard against that by just randomly drawing each time but the thing is that draws need to be computed server side anyway (and deck state also kept there) to avoid exploits so it doesn't really make sense to keep the same data twice. Or rather it didn't, before Reno.

• Options

It's trivial to guard against that by just randomly drawing each time but the thing is that draws need to be computed server side anyway (and deck state also kept there) to avoid exploits so it doesn't really make sense to keep the same data twice. Or rather it didn't, before Reno.

That makes sense, yeah. I hadn't considered previously that the deck wasn't stored client-side, which makes perfect sense. That would be more work to implement, yeah.

Steam profile
  • Options
    IT JUST ENDED

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I'm at 2 as Mage against Zoo. He has 5 minions out including a Leper Gnome. I drop Brann and then Mind Control Tech. I steal his Imp Gang boss and then the Leper Gnome. I proceed to clear the board and am able to win later in the game.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    IT JUST ENDED

That match sounds like it was awesome.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I remembered we got Fierce Monkey and tried to make Bolster work. It didn't work at all.

• Options
    Teriferin wrote: »
    IT JUST ENDED

That match sounds like it was awesome.

no it'sj ust your standard control warrior vs control warrior where you spend 4 turns doing nothing, then someone tries to bait out a removal spell

when we entered fatigue he was at over 90 health, i was at over 70

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SnowglobeSnowglobe Registered User regular
    The story of a Paladin V. Mage arena game, in a single image:

3Fcdj0n.jpg

• Options
    and then a flamestrike

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    and then a flamestrike

Mrghlhl....

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Paladin vs. Paladin still decided entirely on who gets Muster for Battle with a stronger initial board, more news at 11.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Arena paladin, 7-0 streak ended by a hunter.

Queue up immediately after, get matched with the same hunter (I guess because Friday evening is not most peoples' vidya time) and completely destroy him.

So satisfying. Particularly since this is my first entirely home-drafted deck after using HearthArena for a while.

• Options
    paladin paladin paladin paladin paladin paladin paladin paladin paladin

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Got five Brawl wins for my Mage daily using some half-assed mech deck that never drew into Flamewaker once.

Cancer avoided.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Climbed 13-->5 today. Thoughts:

Shit loads of druids, both in the midrange and aggro flavors. 14 of 59 games, or roughly 25% of the ladder from the slice I got. Only 2 Shamans and 1 Warrior. 7 Rogues, but they were all running the exact same deathrattle rogue list so I'm assuming one was streamed or posted or something. Only 8 Paladins, mix of secret and midrange with 1 aggro and 1 control.

Went 20-12 with Secret Paladin, but this definitely started to struggle more at 7/6. 10-4 with Dragon Priest, which felt a little more consistent at those ranks but I've found it really boring recently. Finished the run out with 6-1 as Control Warrior, and the loss was definitely due to my playing way too fast and inefficiently. Low sample size but it feels like a pretty decent meta for Control Warrior right now, as others are reporting.

The ladder right now feels much less hardcore than previous seasons, largely because it's slower/people are experimenting with weird decks. I'm sure it will be a hard ass grind again in a month or two once the dust settles.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I also hit rank 5 today. I'm not proud of it, but I face-huntered my way up from rank 8 4 stars, going 15-9 in the process.

Today at those ranks (mostly rank 7) I faced
    7 Paladins: Control (4), Token (1), Secret (2)
    4 Mages: Freeze (2), Aggro Freeze (1), Tempo (1)
    3 Warlocks: Dreadsteed (1), Handlock (2)
    3 Priests: Dragon (2), Classic Control (1)
    3 Shamans: Classic Midrange (2), Aggro Trog (1)
    3 Hunters: Face (2), Weird beast deck (1)
    1 Rogue: Raptor (1)
    No druids or warriors today.

Adding in the games from the last three days (from rank 9-5), I've faced
    12 Paladins: Control (4), Token (1), Secret (7)
    9 Warlocks: Dreadsteed (1), Handlock (4), Zoo (4)
    9 Hunters: Face (2), Weird beast deck (1), Midrange (5), Hybrid (1)
    8 Mages: Freeze (3), Aggro Freeze (1), Tempo (4)
    8 Rogues: Raptor (6), Oil (1), Mill (1)
    7 Priests: Dragon (5), Classic Control (2)
    6 Shamans: Classic Midrange (2), Aggro Trog (2), Mech (2)
    4 Warriors: Fatigue (2), Control (2)
    2 Druids: Classic Midrange (2)

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I wish I had tracked what I play against

edit - wow this is barely even a post

Variable on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Streaked from Rank 4 to Rank 2, and back down to 4. I wish the process wasn't such a timesink.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    I killed an aggro druid on turn 6 with Brann Coldlight because with prep and 2 shadowsteps fel reaver burned his whole deck. That was even more satisfying than killing a fatigue deck.

• Options
    I can't not post this
    Hearthstone%20Screenshot%2011-28-15%2004.08.03.png

finished off with dragon priest because shaman, though it pushed me from 5-2, wasn't at all consistent enough and it's painful to fall back a few stars in a matter of minutes.

• Options
    gam3p0tgam3p0t Registered User regular
    i think im done for the night- playing on breaks since its super slow and whatnot after thanksgiving yesterday and I've literally had 9/10 coin flips go against me so far. Druid isn't cutting it; my djinni priest is getting roughed up; think i'll just step back and work on some deck lists, or try to craft a new idea to play. Its been so bad today that I literally dropped from 12.4* to 16.1* without a single win. I couldn't win a guessing game if you gave me 99/100 guesses tonight. Oh well. Anyone have any interesting ideas or cards they've been thinking about trying to build a deck around?