As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp]Shadowrun - Bump in the Night

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    PDF? There's nothing specific for Technomancers out yet, though in GenCon, it WAS announced there's an ebook in the works. :(

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Oh, I just assumed they got more fleshed out in Data Trails.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Nah, there wasn't much in there, not what was needed, for sure. Most of it was just Deep Matrix fluff and crunch.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    @Farangu Still taking signups? And if so, would you allow RunFaster Qualities if I post the text? If it's no-book-no-use, cool too. But Adrenaline Surge so stronk.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    There's definitely some nice QoL stuff in there, though. I'd kill sometimes for that quality that gives bonus dice to resist fading.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    PMAvers wrote: »
    There's definitely some nice QoL stuff in there, though. I'd kill sometimes for that quality that gives bonus dice to resist fading.

A lot more granulated Negatives too. I wish they'd split RunFaster into 2 cheaper books. All those new metatypes and changeling stuff in 1 book; Qualities, Contacts, Lifestyles and Gear Packs into another book.

Kaneski on
  • Options
    @Kaneski I'm taking signups at least until the Holiday Hangout leaves, if not through the new year, so feel free.

As for the book, I'm newer to Shadowrun, so for right now I'm going to say no-book, no-use. I'll take stock of the next splatbook people are interested in and probably start acquisition of the PDF's over a period of time, as they're not as hard on the wallet, but until I do, it's probably better for all if we stick with what's available, which as of right now is Core + Run & Gun.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Nvm, just needed to push more buttons.

Edit: Now for an actual question, thinking about also submitting a face, but it doesnt all fit on one screen... is there somewhere I can upload the HTML?
    Geth roll 50d6o6t5 for please work

please work:
    50d6o6t5 19 [50d6o6t5=10, 4, 4, 2, 2, 1, 1, 4, 5, 3, 4, 5, 3, 4, 2, 5, 14, 3, 20, 3, 5, 5, 5, 4, 20, 3, 5, 2, 3, 3, 2, 5, 2, 2, 7, 3, 1, 15, 1, 1, 9, 3, 11, 3, 4, 5, 4, 7, 8, 2]

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I'd like to get in on this if you still have room. Are there character creation rules online somewhere?

I used to be very familiar with 2nd edition Shadowrun....lets see how a new edition stacks up. The fluff and feel of the world I know.

• Options
    Always room for more submissions, especially since we only have two so far!

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    wow, can't believe I missed this thread.

@Farangu, here's my dilemma:
    I'm gonna be heading out trucking again around Dec 28th to Jan 1st. I'll have internet thanks to my smartphones, but what's the frequency you want responses?

As for a character, I'm thinking rigger/faceman (just enough to do in a pinch, but not as good as a devoted faceman since someone else wanted to make one).

I know you only got 5E and Run'n'Gun, so I'll stick to those... but I also got Street Grimoire, Data Trails, Chrome Flesh, Run Faster, etc. I.. I got them all...
    I may have a problem...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    @NotoriusBEN For response time, I'd like something every couple of days. More if you're in the middle of something important to the run, ideally. If you drop out of contact for a bit in the middle of a run, I'll be willing to cardboard cutout you until you're able to get back. Extended absence will likely mean that your character has personal stuff going on and is too busy for the run.

• Options
    @maclay how'd you get that chummer 5a to work? I got the one from github but I can't find its executable.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Ben go to newest releases. I had the same problem with that main page file.

• Options
    bingo, thanks @egos

are we allowed to link that kind of stuff on PA?
    back in 4th, the chummer saved a metric ton of headache with heavy lifting character generations and it seems prudent to keep doing so with 5th.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I can't imagine they would have an issue linking it, but I also don't generally link anything.
    Geth roll 20d6o6t5 for testing

testing:
    20d6o6t5 8 [20d6o6t5=2, 9, 4, 3, 4, 3, 7, 11, 4, 4, 4, 5, 1, 3, 5, 4, 5, 9, 1, 7]

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    So here's what I was thinking with my Rigger. (Still putting him together with the fucking shopping list, god damn is it hard to spend 450k... I might just go 270k and take a bunch more skills...)

wanted to make a veteran of the Am-Az War that just happened.
    oh hey, Demolitions (defuser), oh cool back story! He was EOD and it ties nicely with the whole Rigger thing using bots to detonate IEDs...

Hmm... need more skills from karma... Bad Rep... something went south... oh... Unsteady Hands... on a Rigger EOD... pfff hahahahaha sold. Taking it.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Since I know that the Holiday Hangout is going to be popping up soon, if you haven't submitted a sheet before the hangout goes up, feel free to PM it to me and we can still go over it.

I'd like to have a group selected by the 4th of January. If we get a lot more submissions I'll have to decide who gets in.

• Options
    I got my hands on the book... it has a lot of pages.

I'll have something for you soon!

• Options
    I guess there's a sale on Shadowrun at DrivethruRPG right now, because the core book is $10 and all splatbooks aside from the just-released rigger book are $12.50 currently.

There may be some expanded creation options, as I just got my holiday bonus.

• Options
    That's good to know, after I bought all of them >.>

One thing that I'd definitely want for 6th edition is a pared down starting runner's shopping list, or take the gear and role in a lot of their modifications.
    I get that a lot of the appeal is shopping for this stuff, but god damn is 450k a lot of money to spend. (maybe just break it down that X amount is for cybermods, Y is for weapons/armor, Z is for lifestyle, gear, and IDs.) Or go the DnD route and say, "Here are standard kits. Its got everything a Runner would need for B&E" Like Thieves' Tools...

As it is, I've got two complete identities set up along with my UCAS citizen identity, because I don't know where to burn the rest of the money...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    So yea. I picked up some stuff.

The following can now be used for creation if desired:
    Run Faster
    Rigger 5.0
    Run & Gun
    Bullets & Bandages
    Shadow Spells

And once I go over Data Trails, Street Grimoire, Hard Targets & Chrome Flesh, I'll approve those too.

This was a good sale.

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    If anyone thinks any of them come close to being essential, I can probably afford to get myself one or two. Already paid 20 for the core book.

• Options
    @Farangu here's my character finally done. As much as I'd ''love'' to go back and check out things in Rigger 5.0, I'll let you parse them out when we all have shopping trips...

Michael Khross aka Frost.
    Frost%20Shadowrunner_zpsyrljduwx.png
    Frost%20Shadowrunner2_zpsk0e8d3nh.png
    Frost%20Shadowrunner3_zpstrcmhdsj.png
    Frost%20Shadowrunner4_zpsgbawpmi1.png
    Backstory

Michael Khross grew up in Seattle. His parents UCAS citizens, some of the few able to find gainful legitimate employment that wasn't with a MegaCorp. More than likely, it was a MegaCorp subsidiary that just didn't offer corporate citizenship. A bit of a tinker, Michael had the beginnings and ambition for engineering degree with MIT&T, but without scholarships or Corporate Executive money to pay for it, he'd only get through about half of a semester. He turned to the UCAS military for grant money in exchange for service. His technical aptitude translated well with drone mechanics and operations and later, IED removal and disposal.

Fast forward a couple years and Crash 2.0, and Michael was still with the UCAS military, but the prospect of grant money was out of the question with all the nightmare bureaucracy of a national government trying to reinstate people into its citizenship, let alone giving out free money. After his service requirement was up, it took little convincing from some fellow army buddies to jump ship and join with Combat, Inc., a private military company that offered benefits and paid vacations.

He was stationed with a company in Bogota. The low intensity conflict between Amazonia and Aztlan providing plenty of pay. His former training quickly put Michael in charge of EOD operations for Combat Inc. as they removed IEDs from main roads and travel routes placed by Aztlan troops. When the bush war erupted into a full blown conflict with the Ghost Cartels included, it was all Michael and other members of Combat, Inc could do to keep from being thrown into the meat grinder of lead, magic, IC, and everything in between.

The following months have seen Michael and a couple others deserting Combat Inc and making their way back to their home countries by any means necessary. Luckier than some, Michael was able to snag a few drones from the motor pool as a severance package. He didn't escape the jungle unscathed however, he's taken a few pieces of shrapnel and multiple explosions from bombs have started to cause tremors in his hands every so often. Undergoing cyber-surgery for muscle and nerve replacements have allowed him to keep all but the worst episodes from hitting him.

Legitimate work needs a legitimate SIN, but if he used that, it'd only be a matter of time before someone took up Aztlan's offer of a bounty. The bills are piling up. He's done with the literal demons he left behind in that jungle. Time for a new identity and working in a hopefully more civilized concrete jungle.

I guess the running theme of this group is that they got their own personal baggage. Hey, if ever there was a group that had to do crime to pay the bills...

A Troll Street Samurai that is very rough around the edges and an insomniac
    A Troll Shaman whose a severe alcoholic
    A Human Rigger that's former EOD with hand tremors

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    So I just finished reviewing all of the splatbooks. If you were planning to make extensive use of extra rules added in those books, please let me know as some of them may end up house-ruled. Otherwise, knock yourself out.

• Options
    nope, just tell me what to roll for stuff.
    im back out getting a new truck for driving, though, so i dont have my books for a couple of weeks.

looking forward to the game!

we could use a dedicated face and decker still!

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I was planning on going Stealth/Assault which yeah probably isn't all that helpful. Trying to come up with a decent backstory. Read the 20th Anniversary addition which has a much better history recount compared the fifth edition.

• Options
    Yea, I liked when FastJack was in charge of JackPoint.

Wanna know something hilarious? in 5e, Slammo!, Kane, and Bull are the admins for JackPoint now in 5e.

You run into Bull when you do the Ares Drone/Laser heist in the ShadowRun Hong Kong missions and Bull is a scrublord.
    Certainly came a long way in his career...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    IIRC Glitch is the third admin instead of Kane.

• Options
    Also @NotoriusBEN for your character, can you give a bit more detail for your contacts? The war buddy I can figure out pretty well, and I'm assuming you know the junk dealer through bartering for parts for your drones. But how do you know the smuggler? Is he another one of your war buddies?

Also also I'll be probably asking for more contact detail from all players at some point soon, as a heads up.

• Options
    I'll get you a write up tonight

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    To the people that expressed interest but haven't sent in a character sheet yet (@Egos @Kaneski @Steelhawk @cj iwakura @astrobstrd @JohnnyCache @OtakuD00D ) I'm planning to start finalizing everything soon, and would like a sheet in thread here by the evening of January 4th.

@NotoriusBEN - I don't think you ever expressed which setting you have a preference for.

@Brody - Same point as Ben, which setting would you like? Also, please PM me any concrete details you have/want about the Orca Experience Project.

@Maclay - Are you prepared to be an uncouth troll? I'm expecting some interesting social behavior, since you have no ratings in any social skills at all. Aside from that, I think you're all set to go for now, until we get a group finalized or unless there's anything else you come up with.

• Options
    Farangu wrote: »
    Are you prepared to be an uncouth troll? I'm expecting some interesting social behavior, since you have no ratings in any social skills at all. Aside from that, I think you're all set to go for now, until we get a group finalized or unless there's anything else you come up with.

My biggest concern here is how far I can push things before I become more of a hindrance than a help and I start becoming too frustrating for everyone to deal with. I have some idea of how to keep things mildly under control, such as ensuring that my associates have a chance to 'convince' me to show some restraint in cases that could have major repercussions (probably via a test). I would also want anyone involved to feel comfortable telling me if I'm not going far enough or am going too far.
    Perhaps a little regarding personality here will give some idea of where I'm at right now:
    When I started developing my character, she felt very Chewbacca-like. I ended up dropping most of the technical expertise though, so she may have ended up more in line with other hulking monstrosity types. Bits of horror classics like Frankenstein's monster and Mr Hyde, the various creations that were derived from them, such as the unstoppable 80s horrors like Jason.
    Socially, I've read a fair amount of Marvel's Hulk, Hercules and Deadpool, so you'll probably see some of that shine through. I don't expect there to be much in the way of fart-based humor and the like, but more 'Oh my god you are so boring shut up before I put one of our heads through a wall!' 'Fuck this Imma just shoot him.' troll-spreading, recalling a pretty funny joke during a really serious moment, that sort of thing.
    Obviously, I'm open to suggestions on how to better play the role.

Side-note: 1 day and 11 hours left on DriveThruRPG's Shadowrun sale.

• Options
    Almost ready!

I'm working up a Human Sammy with a surprising capacity for being the Face of the group!

• Options
    Oh! One important question that I completely forgot to ask you guys!

Do you all want this campaign to be pink mohawk, black trenchcoat, or a solid mix?

Pink mohawk = very stylistic, saints row over the top - at least two of your run plans involve high explosives & machine guns

Black trench coat = very detailed, Leverage methodical - you have contingency plans for most situations. Stealth is preferred because combat is usually dangerous, sometimes lethal

• Options
    Let's do a mix. I've actually interrogated someone in a shadowrun game like this... DM thought I was a bit over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfMO0E-AUK4

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Oh! One important question that I completely forgot to ask you guys!

Do you all want this campaign to be pink mohawk, black trenchcoat, or a solid mix?

Pink mohawk = very stylistic, saints row over the top - at least two of your run plans involve high explosives & machine guns

Black trench coat = very detailed, Leverage methodical - you have contingency plans for most situations. Stealth is preferred because combat is usually dangerous, sometimes lethal
    A Troll Street Samurai that is very rough around the edges and an insomniac
    A Troll Shaman whose a severe alcoholic
    A Human Rigger that's former EOD with hand tremors

Happy to roll with whatever, but if we have to resort to stealth things could get pretty interesting.

• Options
    IIRC Glitch is the third admin instead of Kane.

that sounds more correct, actually. Kane has just been around for so long that he's a staple of the genre.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I'll have to drop out. Tax season starting. Tech support job will keep me busy. Just won't have the time for it. :(

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Geth, roll 3d6x60 for starting cash

Hmm. 420 it is then.

Edit: Crunch is done, done enough anyway. I'll have background and fluff worked up and will post tomorrow.

starting cash:
    3d6x60 0 [3d6x60=3, 2, 2]

Steelhawk on