Options

[XCOM] You can't parry a shotgun. The Resistance is Live!

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    Advertising is about one thing and one thing only: Making as much money as possible.

I distilled it a bit.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I can honestly say that change is what made me preorder

Because every time they allegedly fixed that teleporting bug, I'd fire up the game and somehow almost immediately run into that bug
    I honestly don't think I've ever run into this bug, and I have no idea why, because it's been something that people have been complaining about since day 1. How does it work again?

In my experience, it usually occurs when an alien moves far enough back into the fog of war that they switch back into their teleporting movement

If I had to take a guess, it'd be that moving far enough back into the fog of war causes them to switch back to that movement behavior, but that alien is also still considered "activated" so they will try to find a waypoint toward the closest point to your squad. Because they've switched over to the "teleport" movement rules though, they just end up showing up right in the middle of your soldiers, and then usually they will melt someone's dome.

The best for me was when a Sectopod took their turn, overwatched... then promptly teleported away.

I was miffed and proceeded to try and test it's ability overwatch from it's new unknown position with someone who did not have Lightning Reflexes. A fatal error.
    Zxerol wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    If they started the marketing wtih EU, everyone would've been NEW XCOM BY FIRAXIS WHAT YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

oh and you guys are also making some kind of shooter spinoff or something okay that's cool i guess NEW XCOM STRATEGY GAME YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Maybe Firaxis didn't have enough to show at the time. Or maybe it was more cynical and they thought propping up an exciting new shootmans game to reintroduce a classic franchise was The Right Marketing Thing. Whatever. If people know that EU was in the pipe, XCOM 2010 wouldn't have nearly got the horrendous backlash it did. (Yes, that was me too, I remember. I thought it looked cool, but using the Xcom name for it was straight booty.)

Honestly? I think the bass-ackwards way they handled things actually helped, on the net.

If they opened with the strategy game, five gets you ten there'd be a lot more grog noise about losing time units, the loadout system changes, the four man fireteams, the "consolfied" skill system, and on and on. Sure, grogs gotta grog, but it doesn't exactly help word of mouth when you're appealing to a (supposedly, at the time) niche audience. Follow up with announcing a shooter, and it gets even worse.

Go the way they went, though, and most people will be too busy being happy about the TBS existing to get into rage mode about the changes.

I could see that. Like you said though, grognards gonna grog, and for these folks nothing but a near 1-to-1 conversion of the original game will do anyway. At least, at the time, Xenonauts was a thing to look forward to (and OpenXcom now for antediluvian devotees). Hell, last thread ended with yet another argument on how really xcom-y EU is, like it was 2012 again.

Related, someone on reddit posted this interview with Jake Solomon and Julian Gollop from a few years back, and it's adorable how flustered Jake gets with Julian praises EU. Far be it for me to pull appeal to authority, but when the grandaddy of xcom says, "Yo this game is pretty awesome guys," I think that says something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zZsecTRfM

OldCOM is one of those titles that just oozes Microprose; it's incredibly deep, putting together a surprisingly precise ballistics simulation (they used a raycasting technique, if memory serves, alongside a pioneering method of stacking bitmaps together to create 3D objects & terrain) alongside an intricate UFO ecosystem & base economy simulation.

It was also very fiddly, the UI was convoluted and the pacing wasn't very tight (most noticeable during the tactical phase when you're looking around for the last Goddamn alien on a map and quickly burning-up your patience for the game. Or when you've done your 20th mission in a month and are just exhausted with the rote disembarking procedure with your 12 man squad.

NuCOM is much tighter in terms of pacing (and I find the tactical maps much more engaging with the smaller squad & modern movement system. Fuck action points, they can go burn in 90s Hell), but I do still feel they cut a little too much in EU/EW. Munitions & weapons loadout choices were more interesting in OldCOM, I personally enjoyed the immersion & measured downtime provided by studying the UFO Activity charts and hunting for saucers / bases, they were lots of different approaches to individual base layouts & overall strategy layer approaches (many specialized bases; one super base and many fighter bases; heavy manufacturing vs xeno containment zoos; etc), and I can't help but think this was a concession to the console market.

We're getting interesting loadouts back in NuCOM 2, which is awesome, but alas the deep strategy layer seems to have been permanently binned. Oh well. At least they got rid of the pointless NuCOM interception 'game', and the FFG-esque strategic board game looks interesting enough on first impressions anyway.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    Firaxis had a prototype that was a bit of disaster and had to go back to the drawing board. Took them a while to get the basic gameplay down, and to figure out how to do the strategy layer. There's an interview somewhere where Jake talks about how he put his best foot forward with the initial design only to have to start all over. Also talks about doing a lot of board game playtesting of strategy layer with Sid.

did someone say xcom pitch cinematic?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1QnIfsSKYA

and

xcom proof of concept development video?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFdwgtW91-k&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    Firaxis had a prototype that was a bit of disaster and had to go back to the drawing board. Took them a while to get the basic gameplay down, and to figure out how to do the strategy layer. There's an interview somewhere where Jake talks about how he put his best foot forward with the initial design only to have to start all over. Also talks about doing a lot of board game playtesting of strategy layer with Sid.

and

lol

Well the robot looked cool, and I preferred the plasma weapon designs featured in the concept footage.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I dunno, that robot was pretty derpy looking.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    If they started the marketing wtih EU, everyone would've been NEW XCOM BY FIRAXIS WHAT YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

oh and you guys are also making some kind of shooter spinoff or something okay that's cool i guess NEW XCOM STRATEGY GAME YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Maybe Firaxis didn't have enough to show at the time. Or maybe it was more cynical and they thought propping up an exciting new shootmans game to reintroduce a classic franchise was The Right Marketing Thing. Whatever. If people know that EU was in the pipe, XCOM 2010 wouldn't have nearly got the horrendous backlash it did. (Yes, that was me too, I remember. I thought it looked cool, but using the Xcom name for it was straight booty.)

Honestly? I think the bass-ackwards way they handled things actually helped, on the net.

If they opened with the strategy game, five gets you ten there'd be a lot more grog noise about losing time units, the loadout system changes, the four man fireteams, the "consolfied" skill system, and on and on. Sure, grogs gotta grog, but it doesn't exactly help word of mouth when you're appealing to a (supposedly, at the time) niche audience. Follow up with announcing a shooter, and it gets even worse.

Go the way they went, though, and most people will be too busy being happy about the TBS existing to get into rage mode about the changes.

Did you coin the term 'grognoise'? If so, you're my hero.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The Ender wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »

and

lol

Well the robot looked cool, and I preferred the plasma weapon designs featured in the concept footage.

Notice how the muton rushes the guy at the end to whack him in melee?

That's something you'll see a fair amount of in XCOM 2.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Guys this is the age of the internet, a TV commercial doesn't have to sell you on anything, it just has to let you know about it.

They aired a commercial on a show about little grey men showing an ominous little grey man and gave you the name of that thing. People are gonna go "woah, I'm into aliens and shit" and google it to find out what it's all about.

The commercial didn't do anything for you because you already know what XCOM is.

As proof:

mD4KZqK.png

I think the commercial accomplished its goal

• Options
    edited January 2016

Even on the official forums, most people were just happy to see a new Turn Based update to the original game that added modern sensibilities, but there were (and still are) several people who complain about it doing anything different. The lack of interception in XCOM 2 has been a frequent quibbling point for example. The thing with XCOM: EU is that it made a lot of sensible changes, such as dumping time units, decreasing the squad size (which has its own disadvantages, but is a net benefit to the game), making the games logic "clear" and so forth. It also did a lot of things that weren't very good, like how they handled abduction missions, which felt far too gamey. Of course XCOM 2 has a similar mechanic that makes MUCH more sense because of the situation they set up in the game.

XCOM: EU also had a poor "Rushing satellites" strategy that dominated the geoscape and the fact you could delay alien tech (psionics) by delaying story missions was a very bad design decision. So was the idea of having tightly scripted "story" missions and maps, which really reduced and hampered replayability. I've mentioned this before, but you look at XCOM 2 and it systematically addresses all of these issues - quite deliberately. Hell, apparently there isn't even a specific kind of soldier tech you need to win the game. According to designers, you can win XCOM 2 without even making a psionic soldier as an example.

Of course, I feel XCOM: EUs approach is best appreciated when you compare it to other updates of the original game that are more "faithful". Xenonauts as an example is a more faithful update, but shows you all of the traps that you rapidly find developers falling into. You can build multiple bases, but anywhere outside of 3 locations is a deadly trap that rapidly dooms your playthrough to failure. Aircraft matter the most and the tactical layer will not win you the game, so if you lose the air war at any point you're basically going to lose the game instantly. They have "Time Units" and most of the other things that give X-COM "Depth" according to grognards, but none of it is ever useful - I can't think of a mission where I needed to pick up ammo, alien bodies or similar (Hardest difficulty at that). TUs are a frustrating mechanic to use, because you end up only wanting to move as far as you can to leave a shot anyway. Cover mechanics work nebulously, if they work at all. Ground missions become so blatantly boring and tedious after a while, there is just no point in actually engaging in them that often (unless you have to).

XCOM: EU did a tremendous amount of things right in updating an old strategy game, which I feel that other games that tried to be too "close" didn't do very well. Yeah there is something to be argued for the depth that Xenonauts has over XCOM: EU - but depth is an illusion when it literally doesn't matter. Being able to place your base anywhere isn't depth when there are only 3 truly valid locations. It doesn't matter if you have the granularity of time units, when the system doesn't present the options to make it worth while other than "Move forward, crouch, save enough TU for shot". A lot of depth comes from simple options that interact in a way to provide multiple valid choices each turn. This is something that XCOM: EU and certainly XCOM 2 from the look of things achieves.

I'm not convinced though that the controversy about XCOM (the FPS) made people more sympathetic or accepting of the changes in XCOM: EU. I see that maybe there was some relief about "This isn't another FPS right?" in there, but I think XCOM: EUs inherent design was good enough that it would have won people over either way. What would have happened is that whatever they were trying to do with the FPS would have been viewed infinitely more kindly than it was, which would have afforded them a lot more freedom. Ironically despite being one of the more vocal critics of the XCOM FPS, I probably ended up being one of the only people who seemingly played and enjoyed the actual final game (even if it was extremely flawed).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So two things:

1) Procedurally generated maps are a toooon of work. Procedurally generated maps that are balanced, fun and interesting are really, really, really hard. The original XCOM didn't actually randomly generate the maps, but instead had super huge pregenerated maps of each type (forest, jungle, farm, etc) and it just pulled random chunks from them to create the battlescape, which is why some maps could feel really weird.

2) I had completely forgotten that they both blew up a barn and the barn still managed to hide an overwhelming alien force in the proof of concept video. That is the most XCOM thing ever.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Yeah I gotta say, I gave Xenonauts a couple of shots and it just... man did I not give a flying fuck.

There was an overwhelming feeling that it was a solved problem waiting for me to fuck up. Like I wound up looking up "best starting location" and "best stat growth" and "best air combat strategy" etc and so on until I realized I didn't really feel like walking up this particular hill. There weren't any stories I could imagine retelling.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I gotta say, I gave Xenonauts a couple of shots and it just... man did I not give a flying fuck.

There was an overwhelming feeling that it was a solved problem waiting for me to fuck up. Like I wound up looking up "best starting location" and "best stat growth" and "best air combat strategy" etc and so on until I realized I didn't really feel like walking up this particular hill. There weren't any stories I could imagine retelling.

Xenonauts did an amazing job of replicating the original XCOM, and then ripping the soul and character out of it. It is the exact sort of game I would expect to play if NMA got together and made a Fallout game.

• Options
    Yeah the bland alien designs were one of the biggest problems that I had with Xenonauts, as well as the fact the game made ground combat tedious and that everything important happens in the air (Geoscape) level of the game.

Also that it has exceptionally ugly and ill-detailed models for aliens/soldiers. I also discovered that it doesn't even use procedurally generated maps, which also comes with a complete lack of variety as many of them felt similar enough I thought for sure they were generated on the fly (using chunks ala X-COM).

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The one two punch of OpenXcom and Modern XCOM rendered Xenonauts one hundred percent meaningless

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    God, why isn't it the 5th already?

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

228h til I get home from work and put on xcom... The whole weekend is cleared.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Dealzon has a 27% discount coupon for gmg available!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »

228h til I get home from work and put on xcom... The whole weekend is cleared.

I took the Friday, the following week, AND Thursday 4th - midnight release so I need to use the Thursday to adjust my sleep schedule so I'm wide awake and ready at midnight, not too snoozy to enjoy.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I have a medical appointment on the 4th by happy coincidence. Of course I need the whole day Thursday and the next day friday off work. To recover. Yes.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I will be out sick that day for plasma burns.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    No class Friday ^_^

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    I just have to front load the writing for my various contracts to a couple of days before. Then I can play XCOM.

I just won't be able to sleep beforehand is all ;)

• Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Not having coffee for 10 days (oh man the annoying head... tightening), just to have the extra kick on release night.

Incidentally also planning to restart the Legendary campaign because of poor, coffee-fueled decisions.

It's aaaaalllllll factored in.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I tried to kick tea and coffee, need to do it when the kids aren't home... I become el groucho

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I'll be bold and predict the review embargo ends tomorrow. Perhaps with the same provisions as the previous one about spoilers, but I'm expecting another blitz of info until release.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    I think it ends on the first.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Damn

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    This article says they will give their final judgement on XCOM 2 on the first.

• Options
    I am curious about the reviews personally, because so far my main concern about XCOM 2 is that it's going to be too easy.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Well reviews probably wont help you really determine that.

Considering most people in this thread probably have ten times the XCOM experience of most reviewers. So there estimate of what 'hard' is probably not going to match up to yours.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    My main concern is that they're not going to release a character creator early, and thus I'll lose Friday to making all of my friends into X-COM soldiers.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    My main concern is that they're not going to release a character creator early, and thus I'll lose Friday to making all of my friends into X-COM soldiers.

Fool that I am, I hadn't even considered this

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Do you really hate your friends that much that you'd like to see them die to aliens?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The one two punch of OpenXcom and Modern XCOM rendered Xenonauts one hundred percent meaningless

Except... not remotely at all? Because believe it or not, some people appreciate having an actually modernized sequel to the original, rather than something that still looks like total butts and just has a bunch of stuff modded into it.

And Modern XCOM (though good and fun) is almost completely unrelated to what Xenonauts (and the original X-com) play like, so I have no idea why that would do anything to make Xenonauts "meaningless". I wouldn't even consider it in the same genre of game, much less something that obsoletes it.

I mean, unless you inexplicably just want to shit on a pretty worthwhile, albeit niche (which the original Xcom pretty much was, until EU), product made by some obviously dedicated fans?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Do you really hate your friends that much that you'd like to see them die to aliens?

Nah, they're the ones that stay in cover. It's ones I don't like that turn into advance scouting parties.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Honestly, I don't think I'm going to make my friends to put in my character pool. It was fun to have them be in a campaign, but I'm not sure I want them to show up again and again, only to die again and again.

...Okay, well, there's one friend I'll make, but that's because he would appreciate dying again and again, as long as he got to kill aliens while doing it.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I don't think I'm going to make my friends to put in my character pool. It was fun to have them be in a campaign, but I'm not sure I want them to show up again and again, only to die again and again.

...Okay, well, there's one friend I'll make, but that's because he would appreciate dying again and again, as long as he got to kill aliens while doing it.

That's why you make a 1000-character pool. Put John Cena in there. Put Ned Stark in there. Put Bernie Sanders in there.

Your friends will barely ever show up, and when they do it will be 1) extra special and 2) one hell of a story. "So there you were, staring down this Sectopod, when out of nowhere, JOHN CENA! With supporting suppression fire from Freddie Mercury."

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Friends and Family soldiers is the only way to play, those deaths need to mean something

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I wouldn't even consider it in the same genre of game, much less something that obsoletes it.

I mean, unless you inexplicably just want to shit on a pretty worthwhile, albeit niche (which the original Xcom pretty much was, until EU), product made by some obviously dedicated fans?

I dont understand how a base-building and management sim on top of a turn based shooter is NOT in the same genre as a base-building and management sim on top of a turn based shooter.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I wouldn't even consider it in the same genre of game, much less something that obsoletes it.

I dont understand how a base-building and management sim on top of a turn based shooter is NOT in the same genre as a base-building and management sim on top of a turn based shooter.

There's a bazillion games with base-building and management, it's hardly indicative of a whole genre these days. ARK has those two things, and it's definitely not in the same genre. Or MGSV, which is also in another genre.

I could agree to "very distantly related while still a bit in the same genre", but that's probably about it and the definition of "turn-based shooter" would need to be watered down a lot to get there. The two games (EU and Xenonauts) have pretty enormously different ways they handle almost everything, from air combat to ground combat to recovered items. Take somebody who has played a lot of EU and never Xenonauts (or the original X-com stuff) and switch them over to Xenonauts, and they'll be basically entirely lost because the games are not at all similar.

And I don't say this stuff as any sort of criticism, just that they are two very different games to the point that there's no way one "obsoletes" the other. They're two different beasts, each good in their own way.

Ninja Snarl P on
This discussion has been closed.