Options

MMOTCG: [Hex: Shards of Fate] Ladder System Incoming!

• Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    I played a bunny Warrior far enough to see their talent tree and I wasn't impressed when I compared it to the cleric trees. Maybe better for really fast aggro decks but those aren't my cup of tea. Curious about the mage talents as well but I haven't figured out a way to see the tree without doing the tutorial dungeon and that's a fair bit of work just to sate my curiosity.

There's a pretty good talent calculator here :

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/talents

It doesn't show the card rarity matrix last I looked, but it does show the race & class talents and the class talent trees. Pretty helpful to figure out which class/race to start with.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    Sorry, gjaustin, those are all Magic colors. I haven't played enough Hex yet to develop preferences for it, which is making creating a character a little daunting.

EDIT: There are no lady dwarves? No wonder the males turned evil...

Hex is almost straight anolog for magic colors, especially in the first set. I would maybe recommend you go red/green elf for a stompy deck with red removal.

That would also have the benefit of being a quick deck that's more straightforward to play, so you can get to murdering quick.

Alternatively, you could go red/blue dwarf for stompy robots and red removal/blue tricks.

Botp'd and didn't @ iolo.

Also, you could go orcs for red aggro and purple removal, but orcs aren't stompy as much as they're just fast aggro.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Sorry, gjaustin, those are all Magic colors. I haven't played enough Hex yet to develop preferences for it, which is making creating a character a little daunting.
    My confusion was that you were referring to a Red/Black deck with bounce. :)
    I think I want to build up to some kind of 5-shard Necrotic deck, since it kinda just sounds fun, and I do have that Diamond Necrotic card that gains invincible when you have all 5 shards (I forget the name). I dunno if its something that is built around that deck, but it certainly sounds fun. And I did make a Necrotic mage, so it could make more use of that "steal a card" ability. Though I think currently I'm not allowed any green in my deck (what level does this open up? I'm only level 3 currently.)

How much PvE is currently available? Have peeps finished it already?
    For Wild, all you need is a shard to turn on some abilities. If you don't have any copies of Shardcall I should have extras I can give you.

And Lixil is one of the better cards for that deck since she's a fixer and nearly impossible to deal with once you turn her on.

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »
    I played a bunny Warrior far enough to see their talent tree and I wasn't impressed when I compared it to the cleric trees. Maybe better for really fast aggro decks but those aren't my cup of tea. Curious about the mage talents as well but I haven't figured out a way to see the tree without doing the tutorial dungeon and that's a fair bit of work just to sate my curiosity.

There's a pretty good talent calculator here :

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/talents

It doesn't show the card rarity matrix last I looked, but it does show the race & class talents and the class talent trees. Pretty helpful to figure out which class/race to start with.

I think the advantage of Warriors over Clerics is that their abilities are pretty much always on. A lot of the Cleric ones are dependent on drawing a Blessing.

I also think that Mages are the worst class at the moment, because three spells isn't nearly enough. Especially for the races where Telekinesis is mostly redundant (Humans and Shin'hare). And what were they thinking with the 1 SP when playing a Mage talent? Warriors get a whole charge (a SP is worth 2/3 of a charge) and Clerics get Lifedrain!!!

However, despite my claims that Shin'hare are the worst race and Mages are the worst class, I don't think my Shin'hare Mage is the worst race/class combo. Their racial spell is probably the best and the +3 life helps so much.

• Options
    I made a dwarf cleric for jankbot, figuring stall was crucial to getting my combo together, but man cleric is dull.

I did manage to play like 50 blessings by using that creature that lets you search your deck anytime you'd draw.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Played some more PvE this morning. The lag was almost not noticeable, and ran into the first real challenge for my deck. The boss of the tipi dungeon (I forget her name), kicked my butt. I'll need to think about how to change my deck around, though 1 of the times, I just got completely shard screwed. :(

Which version of her did you fight? I've seen at least two: R/W and B/W

I think it depends on your conversation choices.

Ruby/Wild She got an early bug crush guy out, and I wasn't fast enough to get something down that could kill it, and she just snowballed from there.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting that when a Quick Basic Action (or, as I like to call them, the not!Instant) says something like "Target Troops get +3/+3 and Crush" that's for the entire length of the match unless the card specifically states "until end of turn", which most of them don't.

I... think the card even stays modified if it's sent off the battlefield somehow.

But anyway, I really appreciate how HEX takes advantage of the fact that it's a card game played on a computer. It does things that would be rather difficult to manage in real life with actual cards.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting that when a Quick Basic Action (or, as I like to call them, the not!Instant) says something like "Target Troops get +3/+3 and Crush" that's for the entire length of the match unless the card specifically states "until end of turn", which most of them don't.

I... think the card even stays modified if it's sent off the battlefield somehow.

But anyway, I really appreciate how HEX takes advantage of the fact that it's a card game played on a computer. It does things that would be rather difficult to manage in real life with actual cards.

This is correct. You can transform a troop into a phantom and give it - 1/-1 to send it to a crypt. If the player returns it to the board it'll still be a 0/0 and die again instantly. If they revert it first and then return it, it'll be the original card again. I really like how tokens also go to the crypt, not just vanish like in mtg.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    SniperGuy wrote: »

This is correct. You can transform a troop into a phantom and give it - 1/-1 to send it to a crypt. If the player returns it to the board it'll still be a 0/0 and die again instantly. If they revert it first and then return it, it'll be the original card again. I really like how tokens also go to the crypt, not just vanish like in mtg.

It can make for some insane mechanics. I have an arena blood deck with infernal professor and 2 necrophets in it. Infernal professor pulls a non resource card out of your deck and you have to play it before the start of your next turn or your take two damage. In this case infernal professor pulled a necrophet out which I played. The AI hero reduced the necrophet's health to zero. But when necrophets die they immediately return to your hand so when the game checked my hand the next turn it was still there and I took two damage.

I ended up with a zero health card I couldn't keep out of my hand that did two damage to me at the start of every turn.

I lost that round.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    I like Clerics because I like the "All your Clerics get Lifedrain" talent.

But I'm debating whether to stick with my Elf or try out some different race. I never was very good at just sticking to the first character I create.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    One more thing about the persistence of card bonuses - if you copy a card, you get a copy of it as it currently is, which can be either very handy (copying a card that's buffed to the gills) or fairly useless (copying something that has Inner Conflict on it). I had an opponent Inner Conflict one of my clerics, then kill and reanimate it ... and the resulting zombie still couldn't attack or block.

• Options
    Woo, finally beat the tipi boss!
    Though the victory was a bit hollow, for the most part, the reason why I won as that she used her hero power on the coyotle that when exhausted gives 1 resource? (shard? still working on the terminology, essentially mana). So it was like 5/3 with crush, and if she attacked with it, I would have probably had to block with all 3 of my monsters, to kill it, and it would have killed all 3 of them. But instead, she just kept using it for the shard resource, and with no cards to actually use the resource with.

I had some some rejiggering around with my deck as well, putting in some kills, repels, and some 1/1 lethal shin'hares, to help with removal. All in all, it worked out better than I had originally thought.

Also, are the packs you get for beating a dungeon, one time rewards? I'd imagine that they are, but was just wondering.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Woo, finally beat the tipi boss!
    Though the victory was a bit hollow, for the most part, the reason why I won as that she used her hero power on the coyotle that when exhausted gives 1 resource? (shard? still working on the terminology, essentially mana). So it was like 5/3 with crush, and if she attacked with it, I would have probably had to block with all 3 of my monsters, to kill it, and it would have killed all 3 of them. But instead, she just kept using it for the shard resource, and with no cards to actually use the resource with.

I had some some rejiggering around with my deck as well, putting in some kills, repels, and some 1/1 lethal shin'hares, to help with removal. All in all, it worked out better than I had originally thought.

Also, are the packs you get for beating a dungeon, one time rewards? I'd imagine that they are, but was just wondering.
    You get a pack every time you beat a dungeon. The bonus pack for completing the quest is one time per character though.

Do you have any Fertile Engorger's from the Arena? With their equipment they can generate multiple Killblades.

• Options
    Also, I'm starting to come around to the quality of Mages. The low starting health is really, really rough against the more aggressive enemies. But it's flexibility made some battles, such as the Sea Hag, so much easier.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    The dwarf mage is hilarious with his turn something into a random artifact ability.
    Holiday on the other hand is terrible but I continue to use it because I'm dumb.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    The dwarf mage is hilarious with his turn something into a random artifact ability.
    Holiday on the other hand is terrible but I continue to use it because I'm dumb.

I'm loving the Shin'hare mage so far, I can flat out kill a troop. ti's been incredibly useful on many occasions.

I didn't realize I had lower starting health though, I haven't felt hindered so far I just assumed everyone started at that amount :D

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I only felt hindered by low health at the piranha swarm. Guy kills me turn 2 with ten 2/1 piranhas. I am not sure what to use on that one.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Also, I'm starting to come around to the quality of Mages. The low starting health is really, really rough against the more aggressive enemies. But it's flexibility made some battles, such as the Sea Hag, so much easier.

Necrotic+Mage gets an spell that steals a card from an opponents deck and puts it into your hand. That proved really useful in the tipi dungeon when they actually give you shards of the color of their deck.

I haven't noticed too much the low health (except for the boss of tipi when she got a really aggressive opening). Though I did take the first ability that gives you a bonus to health.

You get a pack every time you beat a dungeon. The bonus pack for completing the quest is one time per character though.

Do you have any Fertile Engorger's from the Arena? With their equipment they can generate multiple Killblades.

Thanks for the info. I played for a few weeks a couple years ago (has it really been that long?) in the summer, I think when it opened up to all backers. I got cards from the backer level (was actually a gift from a friend, who hasn't actually played much at all) and some more just from buying platinum. I did maybe a dozen draft tournaments over that summer, and I remember it was a pretty good deal cardwise (I wasn't very good, but iirc I think I managed to win one or two), but I haven't played since. So, my card base is pretty thin (especially in blood, since the cards I did angle for in the draft skewed towards a human inspire deck of sapphire, diamond and ruby). Anyway, this is a really long run up to the fact that I don't have a large card base (and they're all from the first? set) and, while I saw that arena button, I haven't had the temerity to press it. ;) So, what is the arena?

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I only felt hindered by low health at the piranha swarm. Guy kills me turn 2 with ten 2/1 piranhas. I am not sure what to use on that one.

Oh on that one I saw the benefits he had and I assumed it was designed to be unbeatable and force you to use the other path the guy at the bridge even flat out says he's never seen an adventurer succeed. I think every turn he can put out 4 piranhas or something ridiculous like that.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    If only they hadn't nerfed the war machinst robes.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Also, it just occurred to me that other races might not have the same dungeons? Or do they just have different overworld maps, but end up at the same dungeons anyway?

• Options

Thanks for the info. I played for a few weeks a couple years ago (has it really been that long?) in the summer, I think when it opened up to all backers. I got cards from the backer level (was actually a gift from a friend, who hasn't actually played much at all) and some more just from buying platinum. I did maybe a dozen draft tournaments over that summer, and I remember it was a pretty good deal cardwise (I wasn't very good, but iirc I think I managed to win one or two), but I haven't played since. So, my card base is pretty thin (especially in blood, since the cards I did angle for in the draft skewed towards a human inspire deck of sapphire, diamond and ruby). Anyway, this is a really long run up to the fact that I don't have a large card base (and they're all from the first? set) and, while I saw that arena button, I haven't had the temerity to press it. ;) So, what is the arena?
    The Arena is basically their dungeon prototype. It's 15-20 consecutive battles using a deck created in the PvP card manager (though you can use PvE cards and equipment). It has random enemies and bosses and rewards equipment and gold at quite a good rate. It's not quite as good as the PvE campaign, but it does give you more deck flexibility.

Also, it just occurred to me that other races might not have the same dungeons? Or do they just have different overworld maps, but end up at the same dungeons anyway?
    There's one faction specific dungeon for each side. The town is also in a different place, but everything else I've seen is the same.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

Oh on that one I saw the benefits he had and I assumed it was designed to be unbeatable and force you to use the other path the guy at the bridge even flat out says he's never seen an adventurer succeed. I think every turn he can put out 4 piranhas or something ridiculous like that.

Yeah, Piranhas can't possibly be beaten by whatever level two race/class combo you have at that point. Right? Unless you had the ability to do 1 damage to all creatures just about every turn (or some sort of moat effect maybe?), you're facing 5 piranahas attacking for 10 on turn 2 with another 6 piranhas hitting the board.

EDIT: Also, PVE is pretty fun so far. :)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    StingingAmbush.jpg

gjaustin on
  • Options
    definitely need to try that! I've made a human mage with a decent sapphire/diamond inspire deck. It's pretty fun but I can't wait to unlock more blood cards.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Figured out how to kill the Piranhas with both my Orc Cleric and then my Shin'hare Mage.

Sepulchra Maggot 1(B)
    1/1
    When you play this, create a copy of it for each troop that died this turn and put it into play.

Sorrow.jpg

Bloatcaps and other discard help too, since stripping a resource from his hand is worth 4 Piranhas.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So how is everyone's PVE campaign going? I'm slogging through with my Shin'Hare Mage trying to stick with the Cory challenge(starter or found cards only). I am using any equipment I have that's applicable.

It's pretty damn fun though. If it wasn't for VIP this is weekend I wouldn't have played any limited this week and I normally play 5-7 tourneys a week.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    So how is everyone's PVE campaign going? I'm slogging through with my Shin'Hare Mage trying to stick with the Cory challenge(starter or found cards only). I am using any equipment I have that's applicable.

Finished the Dream Spirit dungeon, but didn't get much further. I'm still debating going further with my Elf Cleric or starting up some other character. Also, last time I tried, the lag was so horrendous I just had to quit (and then had trouble logging back on). I'm also trying to keep my deck in theme (all creatures must be either Elf or Cleric, preferably both), but a few creatures are just too useful not to put in.

Anyway, when everything works and I'm not being indecisive I'm having a lot of fun.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I got a card from a quest reward outside of a pack and it is just gone. Can't figure out what happened, but it looked like something that would have been really awesome for my deck.

The mantis may have had some spider eggs in his deck.
    5NHkHyz.jpg

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Hmm. Should I start a dwarf warrior instead of cleric for my eventual jankbot raid deck?

• Options
    Incindium wrote: »

It's pretty damn fun though. If it wasn't for VIP this is weekend I wouldn't have played any limited this week and I normally play 5-7 tourneys a week.

I'm currently kinda stuck with my necrotic mage in the middle of Arrakis a desert fighting through burrowing worms, and having a difficult time, so I started a human cleric, but it has been pretty fun, I'd say.

On a different note, is there any consensus on what to do with chests and spinning? I kinda vaguely remember it from my previous experience, but I have a several chests with spins on them, is it worth waiting to have the gold to try and use their spin?

• Options
    I got a card from a quest reward outside of a pack and it is just gone. Can't figure out what happened, but it looked like something that would have been really awesome for my deck.
    There's a few cards bugged at the moment such that they don't appear in the card manager. Awaken, Phenteo's Gift, and Wormoid Hydra are the ones I know of at the moment.

Also, there's apparently a hidden reward in the Hag fight...

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    There's a few cards bugged at the moment such that they don't appear in the card manager. Awaken, Phenteo's Gift, and Wormoid Hydra are the ones I know of at the moment.

Is that the one with the
    invincible 0/1 frog? Is there a reward for removing it from play? Looked like there was a maiden behind it.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options

Is that the one with the
    invincible 0/1 frog? Is there a reward for removing it from play? Looked like there was a maiden behind it.

Yep
    You have to end the game with her reverted to a Princess card and under your control.

• Options

Is that the one with the

Yep
    You have to end the game with her reverted to a Princess card and under your control.

Oh?
    I heard you just have to end the game with her reverted. You don't have to have the card under your control.

• Options
    I'm just gradually selling stuff trying to make a spider deck now. Apparently at some point I need Monsuun and Reese which are quite pricey. Yikes.

• Options

Is that the one with the

Yep

Ah, it was Phenteo's Gift. Is there a way to add it somehow? Also what cards can revert the princess? Although its going to be a crapshoot with 100 cards anyways.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

Is that the one with the

Yep

Oh?
    I heard you just have to end the game with her reverted. You don't have to have the card under your control.

I never tried just that, so maybe?

• Options
    I think I have an idea how to beat Level 6 Army of Myth.

Time to break out my (near) infinite combo...

I will report back if it works!

• Options
    Aww, no exclusive PvE card for beating level 6 Army of Myth :(

I did get an uncommon card and a rare stardust at least.