Options

Ace Com[chat]

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I wish I was dickish enough to be like I'll call you an uber, be gone when someone has been in my domain for ... reasons... and I want them to leave.

I believe in you

latest?cb=20100221235118

vision of the future

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    the fact that Spool can't find a job means I have no hope and I should send a job application to ISIS

but I hear even they are cutting salaries

ffs

that's why all their agents are jumping ship to ODIN

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    My cousin who lives in Austin just posted something on FB last night about how Austin is this land of milk and honey for tech people. That folks are abandoning other tech towns to move to it's shining light.

yeah i should hop ship probably to one of them sweet jerbs

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I got guacamole for free at Izzos.

Manager training new cashier didn't notice either.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Some people do take shits in the back seats. Others mouth off to the driver. Some puke everywhere. Customers can be all sorts of next level assholes.

I just assumed that people used them as a cheap alternative to a real taxi and just behaved as all civilised people ought to when sat in a perfect strangers car.

Do you think that people don't puke in taxis or mouth off to taxi drivers?

I assume some people do.
    And those people are monsters.

But I have since refined my question to "assuming you're not a fucking embarrassment to your mother.. etc etc"

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Taco Bell Mystery
    https://www.tacobell.com/preorder

SHADY DEAL IS SHADY

Oh this is tempting and horrible.

GUYS READ THE WHOLE THING.

Whatever this abomination is it will be available to purchase regularly just a few days later. With no guessing.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Castle you're not a Tech job.

You stay the fuck out of the tech field

with that smile

and those teeth

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I always wondered by most world maps cut asia in half instead of cutting it in the pacific ocean so all continents are intact.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    tryinta fuck it up for the rest of us

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Taco Bell Mystery

SHADY DEAL IS SHADY

Whatever this abomination is it will be available to purchase regularly just a few days later. With no guessing.

But I could poison my body earlier!

I'm guessing it's an apple empanada...quesorito!

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Is lyft the one where they want you to sit up front? Ick.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    My cousin who lives in Austin just posted something on FB last night about how Austin is this land of milk and honey for tech people. That folks are abandoning other tech towns to move to it's shining light.

frogrammers

internal IT continues to be disincentivized.

Also shit is just hard to land at my level. idk what I'm going to do.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I wish I was dickish enough to be like I'll call you an uber, be gone when someone has been in my domain for ... reasons... and I want them to leave.

I believe in you

latest?cb=20100221235118

vision of the future
    I'm with you.
    556f4ee174b581b02dc77ed26d659a0f.jpg

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I wonder what it's like to be an attorney in silicon valley

every job opening all like, must have experience reducing risk and shielding principals in patently illegal business ventures

• Options
    Taco Bell Mystery

SHADY DEAL IS SHADY

yeah, but the mystery box could be anything, maybe even a boat!

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how many people use Uber because it's cheaper than a cab, or how many people use Uber because it's more reliable.

Personally, I'm happy paying a little more for a taxi service that comes when I need it and isn't like playing idiot roulette.

100% the reliability

I have no idea how pricing compares to normal cabs, other than vague notions that sometimes vulnerable people are ripped off?

but I've called cabs perhaps 10 times in my life and had about a 10% success rate of them showing up. Last time we were at a party and 40 minutes after the cab was supposed to arrive someone pointed out that we could walk several blocks and through a park to get to a bar district where there would be cabs.

So yeah, disruption, regulation, I get it, but the cab industry won itself zero loyalty with consumers. Now that they have been vanquished, I'm comfortable criticizing Uber for its shitty employment practices.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I wonder what it's like to be an attorney in silicon valley

every job opening all like, must have experience reducing risk and shielding principals in patently illegal business ventures

it's money hand over fist tho

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Really, Uber would be well-served to just pay drivers well enough that they avoid friction. They'll be able to lay them all off in 10 years and replace them with AI drivers anyway, with the entire app and maps infrastructure already in place.

TL DR on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Is lyft the one where they want you to sit up front? Ick.

Nah. They have a secret menu, basically. Sit in front if you want to chit-chat. Sit in back if you want quiet.

I've also never had a driver try to fist-bump me, ever.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Ludious wrote: »

with that smile

and those teeth

i... *kicks can and walks off*

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I'm not sure how many people use Uber because it's cheaper than a cab, or how many people use Uber because it's more reliable.

Personally, I'm happy paying a little more for a taxi service that comes when I need it and isn't like playing idiot roulette.

100% the reliability

I have no idea how pricing compares to normal cabs, other than vague notions that sometimes vulnerable people are ripped off?

but I've called cabs perhaps 10 times in my life and had about a 10% success rate of them showing up. Last time we were at a party and 40 minutes after the cab was supposed to arrive someone pointed out that we could walk several blocks and through a park to get to a bar district where there would be cabs.

So yeah, disruption, regulation, I get it, but the cab industry won itself zero loyalty with consumers. Now that they have been vanquished, I'm comfortable criticizing Uber for its shitty employment practices.

someone needs to do the same for airlines, they suck too

propelr app, find me the nearest cropduster going from PDX to BOS

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Shivahn wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    i think the appeal of cats is that they are withholding

I dunno I've met some slutty cats
    no you are supposed to talk up how difficult it is to get their love, that way, the fact that they love you is indicative of your specialness

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    so what you're saying spool is that I should abandon my dream of finding a sysadmin job with as little responsibility as possible and improve frogramming skills instead

override367 on
  • Options

with that smile

and those teeth

no castle smile your way into management then lift us up with you

I believe in this plan

• Options

with that smile

and those teeth

I'm sorry mr "handsome and attractive"

WE DON'T WANT YOUR KIND HERE

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    *scoops a handful of jelly with her bare hand and licks at it*

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i am pretty sure we have never had an issue getting a cab to show up when scheduled but thats because we are calling cabs to arrive early in the morning to take us to the airport

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I do have an unreasonably happy smile going on in that one fancy dinner photo. Did those ever get posted to chat? The fancy dinner thread appears to have vanished or just gone unstickied. I want to put them on facebook.

• Options
    so what you're saying spool is that I should abandon my dream of finding a sysadmin job with as little responsibility as possible and improve frogramming skills instead

No you can specialize into hardware support and then into even deeper recesses. Basically follow the relationship between how deeply you're buried in the server farm and how much power you have.

I went the corporate route instead of the tech route and it's hard yo. It's real hard.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

frogrammers

internal IT continues to be disincentivized.

Also shit is just hard to land at my level. idk what I'm going to do.

I see what you mean. When I was looking around for you here it was like... The people I'm asking are IT Directors. So I'm basically asking if they are leaving their job or if they know anyone at their level who has left. And that level there simply aren't a ton of positions.

But lower than that? Hell, we have a helpdesk and a sysadmin position open right now.

• Options

with that smile

and those teeth

304415_10100376947336459_7290554_n.jpg?oh=fd69f7c693c72f72d0676daf92b12c30&oe=5740E5C4

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    If you can accurately diagnose and prescribe for all the tangled ailments of the airline industry I'm pretty sure you'll get awarded a nobel prize

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    I would never engage in such a vile practice as a friend giving me a cushy job

the idea is disgusting.

Sounds like something a hip Apple fan in New Jersey would try to do

AND FAIL AT

unless, you know, they tried real hard.

• Options
    I'ma make a thread with all the photos once I get my business handled today. :)

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

with that smile

and those teeth

no castle smile your way into management then lift us up with you

I believe in this plan

have they placed you in a job yet, those fucking bums. when are you coming in for a meeting.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Uber in Birmingham has pretty much reached an equilibrium where uber cars are just ordinary taxis hooked into the radio networks and also one or more app-based dispatch networks.

• Options

with that smile

and those teeth

304415_10100376947336459_7290554_n.jpg?oh=fd69f7c693c72f72d0676daf92b12c30&oe=5740E5C4

oh my god is that you? You look like data from Goonies and Stephen Hawking had a clone child made

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

100% the reliability

someone needs to do the same for airlines, they suck too

propelr app, find me the nearest cropduster going from PDX to BOS

if wife would only let me renew my pilots license this could be totally sweet

all getting a 10 passenger plane for a family vacation and selling the other 5 spots for like $100 each

but she has this ridiculous fear of death so

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Uber should obviously let the free market set the price by having riders set their asking price and then allow the drivers to give quick counteroffers based on information about the rider. The rider can then accept, decline, or make a new counteroffer.

This is obviously a terrible idea in a million different ways, but I just want to know how many people will defend it as a great idea.

This discussion has been closed.