Options

I Ain't Scared Of You Mother[chat]ers

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Y'all to me is not defining with the South.

There is a drawl that is required to mark the South and where in the South can change that dramatically.

I am use to a Western sound to it. We don't have a drawl like the South. But we have a sound to ourselves that is a mix of North and Texas. I guess a little of the Spanish accent if you are from that part of time.

I hardly ever hear the word y'all out loud in California.

Although today a few teenagers had a quiet and intense conversation while they walked by me.

I wondered what it was about after I heard one of them say, "No no, I don't wanna mess up my life or nothin'. It's fine."

And then his friend shouted back, "THEN WHY Y'ALL SELLIN' DRUGS?"

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    watching videos of roguelikes/lites makes me want to design one that scratches all my itches

for one thing, short and without combat

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Fuck it, I'm not going to the show. I'm not going to wait another hour on the phone just to get my ticket.

Fuck Ticketmaster. And might I add, fuck Ticketmaster? Because fuck Ticketmaster.

What are you trying to say here?

Ticketmaster gets him in the mood for intercourse

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    not really sure why people bring up y'all like it's the #1 thing destroying the english language and they must have no part in it

actually it kind of pisses me off

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm not going to have a sex with ticket masters for you Gim no matter how much I like you

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Gator wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    But especially not from the south; I do not feel at home or comfortable when I've visited there.

it's like 35% of the country, what are you even talking about.

Unless you've spent a couple of years traveling so you have some idea of the difference in the regions or something to underpin this?

I mean like, what have you got against:

Athens, GA
    Memphis, TN
    Austin, TX
    Miami, FL
    Raleigh, NC
    New Orleans, LA
    Biloxi, MI

that you can lump them all together (along with everything south of Kentucky from the mid Atlantic coast to the Mexico border) and say you don't want to sound like you're from any of them?

I mean, damn. I knew you were racist against void champs but this is quite an opinion you have.

Miami is a hellhole

wha

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I guess my parents are watching Bruce Springsteen with Chris Christie

Which one is on top

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    But especially not from the south; I do not feel at home or comfortable when I've visited there.

Unless you've spent a couple of years traveling so you have some idea of the difference in the regions or something to underpin this?

Athens, GA
    Memphis, TN
    Austin, TX
    Miami, FL
    Raleigh, NC
    New Orleans, LA
    Biloxi, MI

that you can lump them all together (along with everything south of Kentucky from the mid Atlantic coast to the Mexico border) and say you don't want to sound like you're from any of them?

I mean, damn. I knew you were racist against void champs but this is quite an opinion you have.

Miami is a hellhole

Southern Florida is not The South.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I've been looked down on by a lot of people before I cultivated an accent that would get people to stop assuming I was an imbecile, but it's been a long long while since somebody just came right out and said it.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    not really sure why people bring up y'all like it's the #1 thing destroying the english language and they must have no part in it

I agree.

The clear and present danger to the English language and to mankind is vibrating dolphin gifs.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I've been looked down on by a lot of people before I cultivated an accent that would get people to stop assuming I was an imbecile, but it's been a long long while since somebody just came right out and said it.

I hope you aren't insinuating that's what's happened here.

• Options
    it kind of just feels like shitting on peoples' regional identity for no real reason other than petty in/outgrouping

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

I agree.

The clear and present danger to the English language and to mankind is vibrating dolphin gifs.

shots fired!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Athens, GA
    Memphis, TN
    Austin, TX
    Miami, FL
    Raleigh, NC
    New Orleans, LA
    Biloxi, MI

Miami is a hellhole

And is only part of the south in a geographic sense.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    can we point to where credeiki said that
    can we do that before continuing

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Athens, GA
    Memphis, TN
    Austin, TX
    Miami, FL
    Raleigh, NC
    New Orleans, LA
    Biloxi, MI

Correct, I do not want to sound like I am from any of the places you mentioned.

Beyond having a kneejerk dislike of the South, largely based in stereotypes, I am *not from* anywhere that uses y'all, so if I were to use it, it would be affected, and the intent would be for me to indicate that I was from somewhere I am not (whether southern or western).

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options

I agree.

TO: Kedinik

Subject: Words you said just now

SEE: my avatar

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Y'all to me is not defining with the South.

There is a drawl that is required to mark the South and where in the South can change that dramatically.

I am use to a Western sound to it. We don't have a drawl like the South. But we have a sound to ourselves that is a mix of North and Texas. I guess a little of the Spanish accent if you are from that part of time.

I hardly ever hear the word y'all out loud in California.

Although today a few teenagers had a quiet and intense conversation while they walked by me.

I wondered what it was about after I heard one of them say, "No no, I don't wanna mess up my life or nothin'. It's fine."

And then his friend shouted back, "THEN WHY Y'ALL SELLIN' DRUGS?"

Cali ain't the West.

It is the West Coast.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Athens, GA
    Memphis, TN
    Austin, TX
    Miami, FL
    Raleigh, NC
    New Orleans, LA
    Biloxi, MI

way to list all the major metropolitan areas and not

Bucksnort, TN
    Big Bone Lick, KY
    Big Lick, TX

et cetera

I mean, metro areas are part of the south. Also I skipped the really big ones like Atlanta or Houston, and the very different ones like Galveston or Lafayette or Key West.

But Bucksnort TN is quite pleasant if y'all are into whitetail. ;)

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Athens, GA
    Memphis, TN
    Austin, TX
    Miami, FL
    Raleigh, NC
    New Orleans, LA
    Biloxi, MI

way to list all the major metropolitan areas and not

Bucksnort, TN
    Big Bone Lick, KY
    Big Lick, TX

et cetera

Um, wow. So those are actually real places.

(except maybe the last one)

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I mean

While I'm not sure I'm comfortable with everything else that's going on

You are saying "Here is a thing I did, and now credeiki is doing it and it's shitty of her"

Because she is just saying she doesn't want to be associated with that! Which you obviously don't either! That is somewhat orthogonal to people being dicks about areas of origin, I think.

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    Y'all necessarily indicates cultural affiliation with some parts of the US though. Since I am not affiliated with those parts, I'd rather not use it.
    Maybe in the future it will be more widely adopted.

hahaah

the most roundabout way to say you don't want to sound like a redneck or like you're from the south

that's kind of upsetting, to be honest. Whats the term?

problematic.

I'm not sure how that could be considered problematic. We all make personal vernacular choices based on the affiliations we intend to communicate, and there are plenty of valid reasons not to want to communicate "Southern-ness"; primarily, one might imagine, not being from the South.

s/southness/urban

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Gator was warned for this.
    Cinders wrote: »

Athens, GA
    Memphis, TN
    Austin, TX
    Miami, FL
    Raleigh, NC
    New Orleans, LA
    Biloxi, MI

Miami is a hellhole

wha

Athens, GA
    Memphis, TN
    Austin, TX
    Miami, FL
    Raleigh, NC
    New Orleans, LA
    Biloxi, MI

Miami is a hellhole

wha

A city raised on cocaine money and populated by the refuse of Latin American oligarchies - the ones who went to English school for twenty years and are incapable of speaking Spanish, much less English (Latin American oligarchs have to be the most stupid and illiterate on the whole world)

Oh yes but it has great beaches

FUCK Miami

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

But now no one knows you're a good cook right away.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Guys, I'm already annoyed with things I can't alter tonight. Can we talk about nice relaxing things? Things to help us all finish our weeks, and get paid?

Cinders on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Peasants. Just say "you (formal plural)" like I do.

If you can't pronounce the parentheses, you don't deserve to be able to address a group.

• Options
    edited February 2016

Athens, GA
    Memphis, TN
    Austin, TX
    Miami, FL
    Raleigh, NC
    New Orleans, LA
    Biloxi, MI

Miami is a hellhole

wha

A city raised on cocaine money and populated by the refuse of Latin American oligarchies - the ones who went to English school for twenty years and are incapable of speaking Spanish, much less English (Latin American oligarchs have to be the most stupid and illiterate on the whole world)

FUCK Miami

Wow....

Cinders on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Fuck it, I'm not going to the show. I'm not going to wait another hour on the phone just to get my ticket.

Fuck Ticketmaster. And might I add, fuck Ticketmaster? Because fuck Ticketmaster.

What are you trying to say here?

Eat Arby's

• Options
    Guys, I'm already annoyed with things I can alter tonight. Can we talk about nice relaxing things? Things to help us all finish our weeks, and get paid?

If I knew how to get paid I wouldn't be in retail

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    Peasants. Just say "you (formal plural)" like I do.

If you can't pronounce the parentheses, you don't deserve to be able to address a group.

look at this here high-falutin' educator

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Guys, I'm already annoyed with things I can alter tonight. Can we talk about nice relaxing things? Things to help us all finish our weeks, and get paid?

Downtown SF is p. fun. Discuss.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    rOW7QGt.jpg
    I did not know people actually liked McMuffins.

• Options

Downtown SF is p. fun. Discuss.

Never been.

• Options

My girlfriend crashed at my place last night. She was waiting for her Lyft when I left for work in the morning. When I got home, there was a cute note and she'd cleaned the kitchen. Including stuff that we didn't mess up when cooking dinner last night!

This is as adorable as it is deeply shameful; I'll need to step up my cleanliness game if I'm going to keep having her over.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Athens, GA
    Memphis, TN
    Austin, TX
    Miami, FL
    Raleigh, NC
    New Orleans, LA
    Biloxi, MI

Miami is a shithole.

all of those metropolitian areas are surrounded by miles and miles of... well... decidedly less cosmopolitan people.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Dude, I am not saying it's bad for you to have a southern accent. I'm saying it would make no sense for me to have one, or to use the speech patterns associated with it, because the only time I have been to the south was on vacation to the beach in NC and for a wedding and a couple of conferences.

Also obviously I know that every place has a whole distribution of people, so even if the overall culture over this huge geographic region on average somewhat skews towards directions I don't like, that doesn't really mean anything...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    can we bash on the midwest instead

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular

Athens, GA
    Memphis, TN
    Austin, TX
    Miami, FL
    Raleigh, NC
    New Orleans, LA
    Biloxi, MI

Miami is a hellhole

wha

FUCK Miami

Wow....

I can guarantee you that 90% of those upper-middle class (or just plain rich) Latin American immigrants to Miami haven't read a book in the last year (excepting Argentina, I guess). It's that bad.

• Options
    can we bash on the midwest instead

this self-hate tho

• Options
    Why would someone prefer a mcmuffin over a biscuit?

Are they cheaper?

This discussion has been closed.