Options

Work sixteen [Job] and what do you get...

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So I have to go to Sweden for two weeks for work in a couple weeks... it appears my T-Mobile plan will cover data and text without a problem, but calling is $0.20/min. Considering I'm on the phone for at least two hours a day (and I can see being there will increase that even more), is there a better calling option I should look into?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I'm struggling to play nice at work today. And the fact I'm trying to be healthier means that I only have a sliced up apple to eat as a snack. Can someone send me a truck of Reece's?

Put some peanut butter on those apple slices. There, now you have a healthy and satisfying snack.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Just applied to a crazy new job, even though I'm pretty happy where I am. This new one is a newly created position and would involve working with some really top-end firms though, so it would be pretty cool. It would be really tough to leave the team I manage though. Guess I'll work through that mental math if I get an offer.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    That interview happened! It went well! But I'm feeling real conflicted about it and am not really sure what I'll do if I get a response back.

Sigh.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I asked for a new chair at work and my boss just agreed and bought me one. I'm sitting in it now, it's very comfy.

It's the little things, you know?

Now if we could just get the funding for my plane ticket to Japan.....

godmode on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Cello wrote: »
    That interview happened! It went well! But I'm feeling real conflicted about it and am not really sure what I'll do if I get a response back.

Sigh.

Yay interview going well! What are you feeling conflicted about?

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I'm struggling to play nice at work today. And the fact I'm trying to be healthier means that I only have a sliced up apple to eat as a snack. Can someone send me a truck of Reece's?

Open the bottom left drawer in your desk. You will find a red phone.
    Pick up the receiver, no need to dial.
    Simply say "It's time."
    Darth Waiter will know what to do.

Are you sure it's not:

Open the bottom left drawer in your desk. You will find a peanut butter cup.
    Reach into the drawer, take it.
    That was Darth Waiter's snack.
    Sorry about your fingers.

If it's in your drawer or on your desk, it's your Reese's.

However, you can donate it if you like, I won't say no.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Cover letter question:

So! I currently live in Germany (which I moved to for a job) and am applying to yobs in the US and Canada. Companies are reticent to look at overseas candidates because of visa issues and moving costs. Fortunately I am a citizen of both US and Canada and also put aside a lump of money as a 'move back to the States if I need to' fund. I wouldn't be expecting a company to pay more than they pay for any move normally.

Is there an effective way to bring this up in a cover letter quickly that doesn't feel like putting the compensation cart before the 'you are actually interested in me' horse?

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Simply say "It's time."
    Darth Waiter will know what to do.

Are you sure it's not:

Open the bottom left drawer in your desk. You will find a peanut butter cup.
    Reach into the drawer, take it.
    That was Darth Waiter's snack.
    Sorry about your fingers.

If it's in your drawer or on your desk, it's your Reese's.

However, you can donate it if you like, I won't say no.

Sorry - too late. I've already been to the vending machine. I fail at being strong and having discipline. But I'm in day 1 of 2 doing my old job and I'm pissy about it.

Edit: I'm working with my health coach at work, trying to bring down my weight and blood pressure. I just wrote this in celebration of my weekly check in tomorrow upon finishing my Reece's.

Ode to a Health Coach
    By Lindsay Q. Lohan, Esquire

Dear Health Coach, I’m Sorry
    I’m weak and not strong,
    But I’ve been doing two jobs
    For simply too long.

I said I’d do better
    But I’m sneaky and a cheater
    And it doesn’t help at all
    That I’m a big ol’ stress eater.

Tonight I’ll work out -
    I’ll make my heart flutter
    But right now I’m much happier
    Full of chocolate and nut butter.

I’m feeling quite guilty
    My self-control was quite low
    But it’s better than leaping
    Out the fourth floor window.

So please don’t be mad
    Don’t yell and don’t holler
    But I’m heading to the break room
    Can I borrow a dollar?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Another application in to a similar agency.

Wooooo....

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Cover letter question:

So! I currently live in Germany (which I moved to for a job) and am applying to yobs in the US and Canada. Companies are reticent to look at overseas candidates because of visa issues and moving costs. Fortunately I am a citizen of both US and Canada and also put aside a lump of money as a 'move back to the States if I need to' fund. I wouldn't be expecting a company to pay more than they pay for any move normally.

Is there an effective way to bring this up in a cover letter quickly that doesn't feel like putting the compensation cart before the 'you are actually interested in me' horse?

Eh, if you can slip it into the resume, all the better, as half the people out there don't read or get cover letters.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Cover letter question:

@Wassermelone are you a government contractor at all? What type of jobs are you looking at/what areas?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Radiation wrote: »
    Cover letter question:

@Wassermelone are you a government contractor at all? What type of jobs are you looking at/what areas?

I work in video games doing concept art - theres a couple hubs for those jobs such as Montreal, Seattle, Austin, Bay Area etc

Really I just look for the jobs and then go where that takes me

@schuss - That might be the better way to go about it - thanks

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Alright, so all four days are available so I volunteered for all of 'em.

It'll be nice to have the extra money!

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So a co-worker of mine has gone and told my boss's boss that I haven't been doing part of my job.

Except it actually isn't part of my job, and my boss has confirmed that I am not contracted to perform that duty. (Some of his other reports are, and I could be, but it's optional for us.) Except my co-worker has, I suspect, lied to my boss' boss about how this works, and so now he's coming after me, talking about how they'll need to recover the hours that I'm not spending doing this duty that I'm not supposed to be doing.

This is the second time this particular person has come after my wages illegitimately, the first time after a strike in which he admitted to not having read our back-to-work protocol before saying that we could lose hours, in direct contradiction of the protocol that was signed.

I've gotten my union representative involved, and I'm pretty sure once I get the right people in the room with the right paperwork, this goes away. Except this is still eating up a huge fucking chunk of my time that I'm not paid for (graduate student, hourly TA wages), and even then, that doesn't deal with the fact that it's this co-worker, who has a reputation for being a creating toxic environments and has previously sabotaged me on other work that we've done together including lying to our mutual co-supervisor then. In fact, my refusal to perform this duty in the first place is because I expressly want to avoid contact with this co-worker. I've been documenting as best I can, but even when I look at it, I don't have enough to prove any serious malfeasance on my co-worker's part.

So, job thread, help please!
    1. Do I alert my PhD supervisor about this? (He's not actually in the department (cross-appointment) so I'm not sure what he can do for me.)
    2. What do I tell my immediate boss about this? AFAIK, he knows nothing about what's going on.
    3. At what point do I just lawyer the hell up? That's pretty ridiculous over ~$150, but I'm so mad, I'll gladly pay $1000 just to stick it to them.
    4. How do I get my goddamned time back? I feel like I should be compensated for having to deal with this BS, given that this problem is one entirely created by the department's own incompetence and ignorance.
    5. How do I deal with the actual problem of my co-worker going out of their way to make my life hell by exploiting the stupidity of our bosses?

Edit: I've talked to another person who's had to deal with this malicious co-worker before, and they advised me to "fight back," and that it took them fighting back just to get moved to another office away from this co-worker, because the department refused to deal with it initially.

hippofant on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular

Simply say "It's time."
    @Darth Waiter will know what to do.

But seriously, if he shows up in a white van with free candy on the side, run.

Otherwise he'll kidnap you & take you over to the other thread.

orthanc
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    So a co-worker of mine has gone and told my boss's boss that I haven't been doing part of my job.

Except it actually isn't part of my job, and my boss has confirmed that I am not contracted to perform that duty. (Some of his other reports are, and I could be, but it's optional for us.) Except my co-worker has, I suspect, lied to my boss' boss about how this works, and so now he's coming after me, talking about how they'll need to recover the hours that I'm not spending doing this duty that I'm not supposed to be doing.

This is the second time this particular person has come after my wages illegitimately, the first time after a strike in which he admitted to not having read our back-to-work protocol before saying that we could lose hours, in direct contradiction of the protocol that was signed.

I've gotten my union representative involved, and I'm pretty sure once I get the right people in the room with the right paperwork, this goes away. Except this is still eating up a huge fucking chunk of my time that I'm not paid for (graduate student, hourly TA wages), and even then, that doesn't deal with the fact that it's this co-worker, who has a reputation for being a creating toxic environments and has previously sabotaged me on other work that we've done together including lying to our mutual co-supervisor then. In fact, my refusal to perform this duty in the first place is because I expressly want to avoid contact with this co-worker. I've been documenting as best I can, but even when I look at it, I don't have enough to prove any serious malfeasance on my co-worker's part.

So, job thread, help please!
    1. Do I alert my PhD supervisor about this? (He's not actually in the department (cross-appointment) so I'm not sure what he can do for me.)
    2. What do I tell my immediate boss about this? AFAIK, he knows nothing about what's going on.
    3. At what point do I just lawyer the hell up? That's pretty ridiculous over ~$150, but I'm so mad, I'll gladly pay $1000 just to stick it to them.
    4. How do I get my goddamned time back? I feel like I should be compensated for having to deal with this BS, given that this problem is one entirely created by the department's own incompetence and ignorance.
    5. How do I deal with the actual problem of my co-worker going out of their way to make my life hell by exploiting the stupidity of our bosses?

Edit: I've talked to another person who's had to deal with this malicious co-worker before, and they advised me to "fight back," and that it took them fighting back just to get moved to another office away from this co-worker, because the department refused to deal with it initially.
    1. Yes, still tell him.
    2. Tell him what you wrote above. He needs to know. He also needs to escalate that to his boss because he already got involved.
    3. Probably not worth it.
    4. You probably won't.
    5. By doing #1 and #2.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Ugh gotta try to get my shift covered on Sunday because the city is shutting off the water main from 12am to 530pm and fuck going to work without basic personal hygiene. Sure I could douse myself with a couple gallons of cold jug water, but I'd rather not.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Ugh gotta try to get my shift covered on Sunday because the city is shutting off the water main from 12am to 530pm and fuck going to work without basic personal hygiene. Sure I could douse myself with a couple gallons of cold jug water, but I'd rather not.

If you have access to a gym, you could use the shower there.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Spongebath, yo

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Good morning, Africa

O65Bojd.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Spongebath, yo

We frequently don't have water, sometimes for multiple days. I can have a sink-shower, including washing my hair and shaving my legs, in 1.25l of water.

Presumably Weaver doesn't shave his legs so it should be even easier!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Good morning, Africa

O65Bojd.jpg

Great, now I'm gonna be singing Hairspray all day!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Today is mandatory health and safety training. All day. The morning has been a new level of tedium.

It is purely a box ticking exercise for regulatory purposes. I wish we could literally just tick the box

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Welp. Both of my library Paraprofessionals called in sick so all I have for help today are my various student aides.

Guess I'm sitting up at this circulation desk all day and probably eating lunch up here.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'm setting up special part run with tight tolerances. Set things up to produce it and set the indicator mics to gage using shop floor standards. These standards are allowed to vary by half the total amount I'm allowed on the part. This is rather tricky and really needs to be validated by, QC preferably using their better standards or even on the CMM. Tell the operator to run three parts then get QC to validate them and I go on my way.

See QC later and mention it, they respond "Yea, they all read fine by the gage you set."

*Screams Internally*

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    An hour and twenty minutes into my forty minute commute, I was feeling pretty good because I was only two minutes away from work and getting out of my car, so of course traffic came to a dead stop for twenty minutes.

We're supposed to be better at handling snow, people!

Peccavi on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Shower the night before?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Shower the night before?

Well yeah, but that's not the problem. Weaver's saying he won't be able to shower in the morning before going to work.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

Shower the night before?

Well yeah, but that's not the problem. Weaver's saying he won't be able to shower in the morning before going to work.

I think the point is, shower the night before and go in to work mostly as clean as you would be by showering in the morning, instead of losing out on a full day of pay.

Honestly the idea of not going to work because you couldn't shower that morning is kind of nuts to me.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A couple of years ago, due to some storms I lost hot water for 4+ days several times in the middle of winter. So we just had to suck it up and deal with washing from a bucket. Basically boiled the kettle so I had a small quantity of hot water to add to a bucket of cold water so that it was non-scalding.

Then basically it's:

1) use a container to wet yourself with water, trying to get as much back in the bucket as possible
    2) Lather up
    3) use a container to pour water over to rinse off
    4) Use Dry Shampoo if your hair is greasy

It's not pleasant and relaxing like a shower, but it does at least do for basic hygiene.

orthanc
  • Options
    Also you can roll in mud and then rub against a convenient tree in order to dislodge parasites

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Orthanc wrote: »
    A couple of years ago, due to some storms I lost hot water for 4+ days several times in the middle of winter. So we just had to suck it up and deal with washing from a bucket. Basically boiled the kettle so I had a small quantity of hot water to add to a bucket of cold water so that it was non-scalding.

Then basically it's:

1) use a container to wet yourself with water, trying to get as much back in the bucket as possible
    2) Lather up
    3) use a container to pour water over to rinse off
    4) Use Dry Shampoo if your hair is greasy

It's not pleasant and relaxing like a shower, but it does at least do for basic hygiene.

Not proud to say it but I don't have a heater and sadly this is what I do to shower
    I am not going to get into why they took away the gas from me as I really don't understand it

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Houk wrote: »

Shower the night before?

I think the point is, shower the night before and go in to work mostly as clean as you would be by showering in the morning, instead of losing out on a full day of pay.

Honestly the idea of not going to work because you couldn't shower that morning is kind of nuts to me.

Doubly so when you consider that plenty of people shower at night rather than in the morning

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Spongebath, yo

We frequently don't have water, sometimes for multiple days. I can have a sink-shower, including washing my hair and shaving my legs, in 1.25l of water.

Can't you just train one of the elephants to spray water all over you? We have been doing it since caveman times!

• Options
    I have worked and still work with people whom thinking that showering is for not them
    They smell so bad like onions or BM it's so bad at times I want to vomit
    I mean I know we skipped showers at times because we did not have the time while in the field in the Corps but these people smell bad

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Also you can roll in mud and then rub against a convenient tree in order to dislodge parasites

Man, I love camping.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »

Shower the night before?

Doubly so when you consider that plenty of people shower at night rather than in the morning

For sure. I mean for me they're functionally equivalent (with the differences being personal preference) but even if you somehow see a morning shower as objectively superior, it doesn't seem like losing a day's worth of wages over.

• Options
    Really the people I am talking about are not sent home
    They are talked to nothing more
    and they smell

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Spongebath, yo

Can't you just train one of the elephants to spray water all over you? We have been doing it since caveman times!

Considering it's probably the elephant's fault that they're out of water, they owe her.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.