edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, what is the good life?

Shinto on

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

Enough money to own a flying yacht, and an airport for it on a private island.

yalborap on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A really good British tv show?

I think that's one of those unanswerable and completely subjective questions, where we each argue our own version for a few pages and then slowly drift away agreeing to disagree...

BobCesca on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, as you know, we can't have threads where people argue but still disagree here in D&D.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Selfish.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Selfish.

Immensely. I'm also materialistic beyond belief.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Selfish.

Doesn't sound very good to me.

Do you just exist to stimulate the pleasure centers in your brain?

Sounds pretty empty and wretched actually.

Shinto on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I do. Also to stimulate the pleasure centers of other people's brains, but only because that stimulates the pleasure centers of my brain.

I find that my pleasure centers are infinitely better stimulated by a more convoluted metaphor, but I'm not afraid to call it what it is, either.

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Selfish.

Doesn't sound very good to me.

Do you just exist to stimulate the pleasure centers in your brain?

Sounds pretty empty and wretched actually.

Well, I look at it this way: Everything else(love, etc.), that's kind of a GIVEN. There are but a handful of people whom would not want that.

It's the stuff BEYOND THAT(living deep within a forest and nature, creating immense and amazing technology, having a private island) that's interesting and different for everybody.

So, yes, I'd also want to be with the love of my life and have good health and all that. But who WOULDN'T?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I do. Also to stimulate the pleasure centers of other people's brains, but only because that stimulates the pleasure centers of my brain.

I find that my pleasure centers are infinitely better stimulated by a more convoluted metaphor, but I'm not afraid to call it what it is, either.

So that pesky social programming is value neutral then. It just happens to be the configuration through which you make your pleasure judgment.

Shinto on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Having a laser powerful enough to draw a smiley face on the moon.

MKR on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Standing outside on a freezing cold day, watching the rain pour down from under some shelter, wearing a ridiculously warm jacket, all with cigarette in one hand and delicious coffee in the other.

I am easily pleased.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    BobCesca wrote: »
    <3 Felicity Kendall :winky:

Seriously, doing exactly what you want to do rather than what some external value system says you should want to, that is the best life.

Unfortunately the system is currently rigged to prevent exactly this situation from ever occurring in the majority of people.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Life of Riley of course!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    get me some soma

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No worries. It doesn't matter if you're poor or about to die in a year, as long as you're happy with it I would say you're living the 'good life'.

So, making myself independent of things that worry me is something I think about daily. I'm really not satisfied how demanding the economy is of people. In some cases, something that would be ideally perfect is just not translatable into an economic product. A good example of this is the RepRap project. How are you going to market something which would eliminate its own scarcity to some extent in an environment totally dependent on the exploitation of scarcity (which the economy is, in my mind)? It is quite similar to the marketability problems around Open Source software.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    No worries. It doesn't matter if you're poor or about to die in a year, as long as you're happy with it I would say you're living the 'good life'.

So, making myself independent of things that worry me is something I think about daily. I'm really not satisfied how demanding the economy is of people. In some cases, something that would be ideally perfect is just not translatable into an economic product. A good example of this is the RepRap project. How are you going to market something which would eliminate its own scarcity to some extent in an environment totally dependent on the exploitation of scarcity (which the economy is, in my mind)? It is quite similar to the marketability problems around Open Source software.

Open source is easily marketable, just not as an end in itself. OSS as a market is about support, not software. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Being an immortal cyborg that rules the world with an iron fist. Hard to complain about that.

theSquid on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not having to will yourself out of bed every day.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Crushing enemies, seeing them driven before you, and hearing the lamentations of their women.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i should go become a stoic, but that is too hard

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    theSquid wrote: »
    Being an immortal cyborg that rules the world with an iron fist. Hard to complain about that.
    Are you kidding?
    Being the immortal ruler of the world sucks, take it from me.
    I mean, it's all fun and games for the first century or so, but there's only so many ways to hideously torture your enemies and after a while there's only so many enemies too...seriously, a couple of centuries down the line and no-one will care that they're the subject of your iron-fisted rule because half of them won't know different and the other half of them will think it was their idea in the first place....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Waking up on a cold day next to the girl you love.

The best things in life come from other people from caring about them and them caring about you.

Mr. Pokeylope on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Are you kidding?
    I mean, it's all fun and games for the first century or so, but there's only so many ways to hideously torture your enemies and after a while there's only so many enemies too...seriously, a couple of centuries down the line and no-one will care that they're the subject of your iron-fisted rule because half of them won't know different and the other half of them will think it was their idea in the first place....

That's why you build an intergalactic network of wormhole generators, populate the universe with people, and subjugate them through superior technology.

MKR on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Waking up on a cold day next to the girl you love.

The best things in life come from caring about other people and them caring about you.
    (slight grammar edit, I think preserving your meaning)

This. I'd lime it but a mere forum meme doesn't do it justice.

nescientist on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Are you kidding?

Then you'd just have to start figuring out ways to torture the populace at random.
    Assuming you've populated the universe you could just go planet hopping and destroy humanity in the most nightmarish ways you could think of, trying to top yourself each time. Eventually you'll have killed everyone, at which point you could just transplant people from the millions of other worlds you've populated and watch them rebuild and coexist, or not.
    Being god sounds like fun, though I would imagine it would get a little lonely.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A wife and children who love me, the ability to support them, and peace in their day.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think it may be going on a living spree, cause the best things are free. It feels like atlanta, it feels like philly, well u see where I am going with this :)

lsukalel on
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Players who can not tell when they are being played, strangers wrestling with their identities, and wannabes who one day might just gonna be.

'Course most of them will never find it, they are all too busy looking.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A snow day, with a big comfy blanket, a sofa, hot chocolate, hot girlfriend, snacks, and a good movie.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A life of complacency with ample ecstasy.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Death Of HilarityThe Death Of Hilarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The good life happens when you aren't looking for it, and you probably won't notice it happening. The good life is when you forget what boredom is because you are always busy doing fun things. The good life is when you enjoy your job, are financially stable, and have people who care about you and want to spend time with you. You don't need to be rich to be living the good life, although it might help, you just need to be financially stable enough to afford the simple pleasures in life like going to the movies with friends or taking girlfriend out to a nice dinner or sitting around smoking with a few people. The good life is what happens when you stop worrying about having a good life and just start enjoying the little things that put a smile on your face.

The Death Of Hilarity on
    L+TheScythe21+L.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The good life happens when you aren't looking for it, and you probably won't notice it happening. The good life is when you forget what boredom is because you are always busy doing fun things. The good life is when you enjoy your job, are financially stable, and have people who care about you and want to spend time with you. You don't need to be rich to be living the good life, although it might help, you just need to be financially stable enough to afford the simple pleasures in life like going to the movies with friends or taking girlfriend out to a nice dinner or sitting around smoking with a few people. The good life is what happens when you stop worrying about having a good life and just start enjoying the little things that put a smile on your face.

Which John Cusack movie is this from?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The good life is whatever you consider the good life to be.

MKR on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want enough money to get by, without living in excess. I want to do good around the world. I want to debate ideas with other people. I want to find someone whom I love and who loves me. I want to not regret my life too much. I want to put things into historical contexts. I want to indulge every now and then in technological excesses. I want to be a good person.

When I achieve those things, I will have lived the good life.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    What is the best life?

Subjective.

_J_ on
  • Options
    The Death Of HilarityThe Death Of Hilarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Podly wrote: »

Which John Cusack movie is this from?

I have no idea if it's in a John Cusack movie, I just pulled it out of my ass because it's the first thing I thought of when reading the phrase the good life. It's what my life is currently like, and I think I'm living the good life right now, despite all the bad things happening. That is my idea of the good life, because it's close to what my life is currently like, and I'm happy and that's what matters.

The Death Of Hilarity on
    L+TheScythe21+L.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    The good life is whatever you consider the good life to be.

I do not believe this.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The good life is the financial freedom to do what I want. It's not about being rich. A trust fund that provided me with enough interest every year to live relatively comfortably (but there'd be no buying flying yachts) would do just fine.

I have a good job but this whole "working for a living" thing has never meshed well with me. I want the freedom to travel around and visit my family and friends whenever I wish. I want the TIME to be able to do those things. If I want to attempt to open up a business, I want to do so with the knowledge that, if it fails, I won't be living in a box.

Ludious on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    The good life is the one you've got. :|

Before you sic the _J_ on me, I guess, I'll say that the good life is what you have when stability has seeped into so many pores of the day that spontaneity doesn't shatter it. The good life is where if you feel like painting stars and moons and spacefish on your walls, you can, and it won't be the end of the world; the good life is where you can throw out your plans of frozen dinner and splurge at the restaurant of your choice because that's just what you want to do.

EDIT: This isn't to say that there aren't the obvious consequences of doing these actions -- you don't have to be rich so that money is a non-issue, for example -- but the stability exists where budgets have giving room and you have enough of an emotional reservoir to bend instead of breaking when you have to go the few extra miles to compensate for what you did in the feverish bouts of want.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ideal life would be along the megalomaniacal designs seen here, becoming immortal, being a god, all that.

Good life would be wealth, love and power to affect the world(For good or ill, depending on the situation).

Passable life is what I now have. Kinda sucky, stale.

Rhan9 on