As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Force Awakens] Spoiler discussion

19495969798100»

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Rey is actually the emperor

Seriously though, Rey is Vader.

Cloooooones.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Can't say my level of respect for dolly grip #2 is any greater for making me sit through 10 minutes of scrolling text.

Well a lot of that is due to the fact that movies today, especially effects heavy ones, have a billion people involved.
    It's like getting up and leaving during curtain call at a play. Except that instead of 5-30 actors coming out, bowing, pointing at the orchestra pit, pointing at the tech booth and leaving, it's 5-100 actors, and all their assistants and the 12 different SFX and rendering companies etc... ad nauseum. edit: To further torture extend the analogy, there's no program or playbill listing all the backstage people, so their names have to go somewhere.

I mean, I don't necessarily pay attention to the whole thing, but I'm at at least present.

My point is "showing respect" is a social action. The credits are a list of people you don't know, who are not present, who you will never meet, and there is no possible way to convey respect to them. Nor are any of them aware of your actions to judge respect or lack there of. "Showing respect" is utterly meaningless in this situation because there's no one to show respect to. Am I disrespecting an author if I don't read the bio on the dust jacket?

A stage show is completely different as there is direct, immediate communication and feedback between the cast/crew and audience where "respect" can actually mean something.

I agree... I mean... do you clap after the movie is over?

Sometimes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l0NwOb9EMxjGcXK9O/giphy.gif

"We're at page 100?! Where's my new thread!!!"

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Actually my theater did clap when the movie was over. It felt very strange.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Khildith wrote: »
    Actually my theater did clap when the movie was over. It felt very strange.

A few people tried to do it in mine, but quickly got embarrassed and gave up.

Keep in mind, I saw it on the 29th, it was sort of old-hat by then. Probably quite a few people on their second or third time around.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I saw it opening night, and we clapped. The same for The Hateful Eight. You're not clapping for the actors, it's about celebrating the shared experience.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I actually don't want a shared experience. I would be perfectly happy watching it by myself in an empty theater. I enjoy the presentation, not the company.

And therefore I do not enjoy when people talk during the movie, or say funny things, or understand why you clap in a theater in Pennsylvania. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'ma just look at you funny.

and kick the fuck out of your chair if you do either of the preceding things.

• Options
    One of the people I went to see it with pulled out his cell phone and started texting the moment the crawl started.

I didn't know I was friends with Hitler, but there you go.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I actually don't want a shared experience. I would be perfectly happy watching it by myself in an empty theater. I enjoy the presentation, not the company.

And therefore I do not enjoy when people talk during the movie, or say funny things, or understand why you clap in a theater in Pennsylvania. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'ma just look at you funny.

and kick the fuck out of your chair if you do either of the preceding things.

I agree with the talking (and anything involving a cell phone). Opening night showings are just a very different movie going experience. I appreciate them. If you're not into it, you can always wait a week or two.

And I'd advise you not to kick a grown man's chair. Leave and get an usher. Lots of theaters will actually take care of those problems if they're informed of them.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Opening night and really more specifically "midnight" showings? Sure clap, cheer go nuts

Any other showing everyones job is to be a ninja that might occasionally get the giggles

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Opening night and really more specifically "midnight" showings? Sure clap, cheer go nuts

Any other showing everyones job is to be a ninja that might occasionally get the giggles
    Nah. If you want to clap after the show, go nuts.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Clapping after the movie is acceptable

But I'm going to call you a weirdo in my head

• Options
    edited January 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3mGQAFS6I

The outtakes might be better than the original!

Khildith on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Khildith wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3mGQAFS6I

The outtakes might be better than the original!

"I hear his face is the best"

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Honestly, my perfect movie-going experience? I'm the only one in the theatre. I get the best seat, and its quiet, and its a nice big screen and I can focus on the movie instead of pausing it halfway through to grab a treat out of the fridge (a nice convenience, but it sort of pulls you out of it...). I think people who clap during movies are really weird. But I don't really hold it against them for opening night of Star Wars, because, its the opening night of Star Wars. I'll have my entire life to see this quietly, let's nerd out for a little bit now.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh god, this just popped up in my Facebook feed with the caption, "Happier Days":
    LnQ7Qfx.jpg

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Honestly, my perfect movie-going experience? I'm the only one in the theatre. I get the best seat, and its quiet, and its a nice big screen and I can focus on the movie instead of pausing it halfway through to grab a treat out of the fridge (a nice convenience, but it sort of pulls you out of it...). I think people who clap during movies are really weird. But I don't really hold it against them for opening night of Star Wars, because, its the opening night of Star Wars. I'll have my entire life to see this quietly, let's nerd out for a little bit now.

I did that with Vampire Academy, pity because it's a fun movie.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Oh god, this just popped up in my Facebook feed with the caption, "Happier Days":
    LnQ7Qfx.jpg
    Nmtmzfz.jpg

• Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Donnicton wrote: »
    LnQ7Qfx.jpg
    Nmtmzfz.jpg
    tbm86pupz9oz.jpg

EvilOtaku on