Options

[Deadpool] Clawing his way back to relevancy

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    If it helps there's zero mention of Colossus being gay in the movie, so without comic context "cockgobbler" came across as pretty neutral.

I have explained at length why it is not "neutral".

If it were neutral then dudes would call one another "pussy-licker" just as often but hmmm well they never do that.

I wonder why!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    If it helps there's zero mention of Colossus being gay in the movie, so without comic context "cockgobbler" came across as pretty neutral.

If it were neutral then dudes would call one another "pussy-licker" just as often but hmmm well they never do that.

I wonder why!

Pussy Licker just doesn't roll off the tongue like cock sucker. Jokes aside your point stands, just like when dudes will yell at someone being an ass fucker they aren't implying with a woman.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It bothers me way less than when people assert that that underlying homophobia doesn't exist. And it hurts my feelings barely, if at all.

Just gonna go ahead and quote myself here because I think everyone flat out ignored this.

The above is exactly what is happening here.

Throwing around "cocksucker" as your xbox live insult of choice is not the most earthshattering of anti-gay things. I'm not going to lose any sleep at night.

But when a forum full of ostensibly thoughtful people will go through painful mental gymnastics to avoid acknowledging that the basis for the insult is anti-gay in the first place, that's really obnoxious.

Its like listening to a roomful of fedora-kids explaining how their hentai is actually totally deeply respectful of women.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Your point stands and I agree with you, Regina. However, and let's be honest here: "cock" is a funny word at its base level. Especially if it's somebody with a heavy Bostonian accent saying it.

Although, for some reason during the movie, I misheard it as "cockgoblin" so I didn't get the homophobic implications until it was brought up here.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Your point stands and I agree with you, Regina. However, and let's be honest here: "cock" is a funny word at its base level. Especially if it's somebody with a heavy Bostonian accent saying it.

Although, for some reason during the movie, I misheard it as "cockgoblin" so I didn't get the homophobic implications until it was brought up here.

I haven't seen the film yet, it may be totally funny in context.

Just the underlying basis for its use as an insult is what it is. It's possible to acknowledge that and still laugh at the joke.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Just saw the movie. Best Fox Marvel movie hands down. Mid-range among the general Marvel movies. Only, now I wish all the Marvel movies were R-Rated.

The theatre was packed and laughing hysterically.

My only real criticism is that for how fantastic the action shots were, the non-action shots that were 50% of the movie were rather standard in cinematography compared to stuff we saw in Guardians or other Marvel movies.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Deadpool makes me hope they they shot Suicide Squad as an R and Deadpool's success keeps WB from cutting it down to a PG-13.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    This movie was everything I hoped it would be and then some. I'm glad to see it's doing so well. I'm especially proud to be rocking my DP avatar atm.

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Deadpool makes me hope they they shot Suicide Squad as an R and Deadpool's success keeps WB from cutting it down to a PG-13.

I am still utterly confounded that WB want's to make a movie of a squad of hardened murderers and psychopaths, who get enslaved by the government prison system and set on secret government suicide missions while they have kill-switches on them to keep them in line.... is going to be PG-13.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I am still utterly confounded that WB want's to make a movie of a squad of hardened murderers and psychopaths, who get enslaved by the government prison system and set on secret government suicide missions while they have kill-switches on them to keep them in line.... is going to be PG-13.

They're allowed one Fuck.

Totally in keeping with the tone there.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

I wonder why!

I did work with a guy who called guys that. (Pussy eater as well). Apparently he doesn't believe in the cunnilingus.

Also, people who do are disgustingly nasty people.

Dude actually has a wife.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

I wonder why!

I did work with a guy who called guys that. (Pussy eater as well). Apparently he doesn't believe in the cunnilingus.

Also, people who do are disgustingly nasty people.

Dude actually has a wife.

I'll volunteer to get her opinion on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc
    Just joking, I'm not keen on cuckolding

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    She confirmed he does not eat the pastrami taco.

The look on her face is one I will remember forever.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

I mean, completely divorced of context, I can think of several slurs that sound funny at their base level. I think that's almost a requirement for a slur to catch on.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    My favorite line was
    "I'm going to sew your mouth shut"
    "Oh no, you don't want to do that, that would definitely be a mistake"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    My favorite line was

I did like following up on that.

They had the deadpool figurine from origins as well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    My favorite line was

I did like following up on that.

They had the deadpool figurine from origins as well.

ahh, that's what that was

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Anyway, you genital fondlers, Deadpool was awesome. It was ending and I was just sitting there thinking "but I want more."

And I couldn't be happier for Reynolds given how long he's been pushing for this.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Just got back from seeing this, and the theater was packed, everyone loved it, and only like 4 people left when it was over, nearly everybody stayed put to the end of the credits. Great movie, except for the flashbacks. Those started to drag on for me and I just wanted them over with.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    That was definitely great. The middle third or so lagged a bit, and I think they could've worked the origin story in better so as not to hammer the pacing so much.

But!

Overall, still great, and best of the non-MCU movies. Reynolds earned every bit of success this movie will have, and I can't wait for the sequel.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    My most fervent hope at this point is that Marvel and Fox work out a deal where Deadpool "breaks the fourth wall" and also exists in the MCU.

For no apparent reason.

Just the same guy in both universes, never explained, but he deadpans a joke about it every now and again.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    My most fervent hope at this point is that Marvel and Fox work out a deal where Deadpool "breaks the fourth wall" and also exists in the MCU.

For no apparent reason.

Just the same guy in both universes, never explained, but he deadpans a joke about it every now and again.

If they next X-Men were to flop hard, I could see Fox cutting a deal like Sony's with Spider-Man. It would definitely be a huge moment to have Spidey, Iron Man, Cap and Mr.Pool on screen at the same time.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Oh man, with how well this movie is doing, what are the odds on an X-Force movie down the line?

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I read an article that said the writers really wanted Bob to be a Hydra agent and that fight at the end to take place on a bombed out SHIELD Helicarrier but they couldn't secure the rights from Marvel to do so.

• Options

For no apparent reason.

If they next X-Men were to flop hard, I could see Fox cutting a deal like Sony's with Spider-Man. It would definitely be a huge moment to have Spidey, Iron Man, Cap and Mr.Pool on screen at the same time.

I don't think Fox will ever cut deal with Marvel. They aren't in dire financial straights like Sony was. DoFP was the highest grossing X-Men by a large margin and it looks like Deadpool is going to break a ton of records. They're not going to panic and run to Marvel if they get a single flop. X-men would have to be an absolute dead franchise for them. (I mean, they're still holding onto FF tightly and look how bad that bombed)

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    Oh man, with how well this movie is doing, what are the odds on an X-Force movie down the line?

They announced an X-Force movies years ago.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/kick-ass-2-filmmaker-tackling-584655

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

They announced an X-Force movies years ago.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/kick-ass-2-filmmaker-tackling-584655

Man, I seriously hope they decide to take this immediately away from Wadlow and hand it to Reynolds and Miller.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Someone help me with a quote please:
    At one point, AjaxFrancis gives Deadpool a comeback to which he sincerely responds "That was a good one, a really good one" Problem is I've seen it twice now and can't understand what the hell he was saying through his accent, and my google fu has failed me.

madparrot on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    At one point, AjaxFrancis gives Deadpool a comeback to which he sincerely responds "That was a good one, a really good one" Problem is I've seen it twice now and can't understand what the hell he was saying through his accent, and my google fu has failed me.

He said:
    I see you can grow back body parts now. (referring to his hand) When I'm finished the parts will have to grow back you.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    madparrot wrote: »

He said:
    I see you can grow back body parts now. (referring to his hand) When I'm finished the parts will have to grow back you.

I definitely heard it as
    When I'm finished your nuts will have to grow back you.

Which was a funnier line

• Options
    This is pretty awesome:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/deadpool-ryan-reynolds-reveals-a-864977
    Deadpool is shattering box office expectations, but before the film’s release, Ryan Reynolds gave a young cancer patient the chance to see the film before anyone else.

Reynolds recently revealed on his Facebook account that about six weeks ago, he screened his film for Connor McGrath, a young boy under hospitalization in Edmonton, Alberta who happens to be a big fan of the Marvel superhero, who is diagnosed with late-stage cancer in the film. After Deadpool undergoes a special experiment, he ends up with special healing powers.

Reynolds posted a photo with McGrath stating: “This is my friend, Connor McGrath. He's quite possibly the biggest ‪#‎Deadpool fan on earth. He was also the first person ever to see the Deadpool film. Like Wade Wilson, Connor's trying to put cancer in his rearview mirror.”

And for those wondering what McGrath thought of the film, Reynolds added: "Of course, the Deadpool was right up his alley because Connor's the funniest, potty-mouthed Canadian mercenary I've ever met.”

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    My joy at Deadpools success is somewhat blunted by the fact it rewards the geese who cut millions from an already shoestring budget at the last minute.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    My joy at Deadpools success is somewhat blunted by the fact it rewards the geese who cut millions from an already shoestring budget at the last minute.

I'm kinda curious about that. The writers actually said that cut helped tighten up the script though that may have just been PR talk. I felt the script was on just the right side of too drawn out so I'm wondering if maybe it was ultimately a good thing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

I'm kinda curious about that. The writers actually said that cut helped tighten up the script though that may have just been PR talk. I felt the script was on just the right side of too drawn out so I'm wondering if maybe it was ultimately a good thing.

I won't dispute that, but somehow I doubt that's what Fox's execs were thinking when they did it. At the very least give them more then 48 hours to figure out what to cut.

• Options
    Or don't? Since apparently sudden budget cuts made the movie better! MORE BUDGET CUTS AT LAST MINUTE!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

For no apparent reason.

I don't think Fox will ever cut deal with Marvel. They aren't in dire financial straights like Sony was. DoFP was the highest grossing X-Men by a large margin and it looks like Deadpool is going to break a ton of records. They're not going to panic and run to Marvel if they get a single flop. X-men would have to be an absolute dead franchise for them. (I mean, they're still holding onto FF tightly and look how bad that bombed)

What is with this diadochi bullshit with Marvel's movie stuff?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2016
    My wife wants me to take her to see this for Valentine's Day. (I saw it with a friend today.) Which I am totally game for.

Except she's also making me rewatch the first Wolverine movie.

Because apparently I am married to a monkey's paw.

(Her: "I hear Deadpool is in it. I should watch it so I know his backstory."

Me: "Deadpool is terrible in it. Infamously terrible. It's so bad that the new movie has half a dozen jokes about how terrible it was."

Her: "Oh, then we should rewatch Wolverine so I get all the jokes."

Curse you, devastatingly handsome Hugh Jackman.)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My wife wants me to take her to see this for Valentine's Day. (I saw it with a friend today.) Which I am totally game for.

Me: "Deadpool is terrible in it. Infamously terrible. It's so bad that the new movie has half a dozen jokes about how terrible it was."

Man I don't know if it would be worth that much pain to see Deadpool again. Can't you convince her to see vampire dog again?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote: »

For no apparent reason.

What is with this diadochi bullshit with Marvel's movie stuff?

Back in the day, the idea of Marvel having their own studio and making their own movies wasn't even a pipe dream, so the idea of selling the film rights made sense. Unfortunately for long-term planning, they sold the rights under contracts that only require the studio to put out a film every 8 years or so to retain the rights; rather than having the rights expire after a flat amount of years or movies. Now that Marvel has their own studio (and thus a reason to want the rights back) the companies are less inclined to let them return, since they know Marvel will spin them into gold and THEY want that money dammit. Imagine the guy who had to explain to shareholders about why the company lapsed on rights to Daredevil, who was turned into a critically acclaimed Netflix series after only two years. Like, rather than let Fantastic Four revert, they farted out a trainwreck of a movie so they can hang onto the rights for another few years. Scuttlebutt is that Disney has offered billions (with a B) to get these IP's back and has been turned down.

Meanwhile DC just got bought by Warner Bros a bajillion years ago, so the rights never went anywhere, because if anyone was going to make movies with them, it'd be Warner.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Compromise and convince her to do a MST3K style drunk heckling viewing of Wolverine Origins