As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Kai_San wrote: »
    My opinion on programming seems to be the same as my opinion on games. For some reason I find Assembly very interesting and not that hard to follow. It took me a little bit to get beyond the idea of not having a direct if/then statement, other than that I kind of like that level of control. But I also have masochistic interests with my games too, loving me some unfair hard gaming.

Also it helps that some of my earliest understanding of programming was descriptions of how glitches and exploits worked in 8bit and 16bit era games. IF you ever read a good explanation about things like Pokemon's missingno or FF6's sketch glitch, you likely know at least something about assembly.

Yeah this was several years ago, and have now been in the programming field for several years. I'd like to go back and see if things finally click for me in assembly (prior to the class I had no idea what a memory address actually was). I might try and follow an NES assembly tutorial and see if I can get it to work. It's fascinating stuff, but makes my eyes cross.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Honestly, before that video I posted, I did not understand what addresses were in general. Kind of took a massive leap of understanding after that.

To this day the only programming class I have taken was Java. I am in a computer technology major right now, but they had very little programming classes included.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Just to clarify, I'm not arguing that fixing these technical issues would be easy, or even practical. I'm just saying it's silly that major technical issues with 8 and 16 bit games are seen as "part of the retro charm", while the same issues are seen as unacceptable for every generation after.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Well yeah, that is why I said the resolution of a game does not affect how you play it quite the same as slowdown/lag and such. You could make an argument with regards to fps though.

Also, there is a clear distinction (for whatever reason, no legit explanation as to why that I understand) between the "bit" eras and everything after with regards to how it is seen. Being pixelated and simple has become an art style and even has charm. Once you went beyond that, being visually limted was the complete opposite of charm. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that really, the visuals of games took a HUGE step back artistically in order to move to 3d for a long time. Could be why no one looks at that fondly and wishes to preserve it. Very few people would state some of the best looking SNES era games did not look immensely better than almost any 3d PSX era game.

• Options
    People who got the collection on 3DS. Are there options for what to display on the extra space on the sides? Some of those images seem distracting from the actual game.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Dirty wrote: »
    People who got the collection on 3DS. Are there options for what to display on the extra space on the sides? Some of those images seem distracting from the actual game.

I haven't checked yet (was too busy with Fire Emblem last night :P) but I've heard that there is. I believe I've read you can either do the images or a pure black border. There may be more options.

Edit: From the review I linked earlier:
    Lastly, there are a few nice choices in the options sections, such as the ability to change the language, the ability to change between Mega Man or Rockman (depending on your preference), and the ability to put a border around the screen. As the original game is in a square format, you can either have black screen filling in the empty space on both sides, or a border featuring original artwork from the game.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Pure black sounds like a good choice.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Honestly, I would love a remake of the 8-bit Mega Man games done with super high res sprites, as long as the original physics, enemy placement, and ai were all the same. I feel like the differences between Mega Man X and Maverick Hunter X were large enough that it actually felt like a different game, and that's not what I'm looking for.

Hell, I tried to do it myself back in college.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPQAExWNic4

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I mean.. in terms of making something like that you could do it fairly easily in unity or wave-engine relatively painlessly.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    These games should not have slowdown or little graphical fuck ups. They should be pristine representations of what should have been, if not for the limitations of the time.

Now, having a "Retro" mode for when you feel nostalgic, with all of the original glitches and problems is perfectly fine. But not cleaning the games up proper is just being lazy.

For what it's worth, from an interview:
    5. It's been said that while some slowdown and flicker is due to NES limitations, other instances are hard-coded into the game and are therefore preserved. Can you elaborate on instances of this each?

Hmmmm… I can’t think of any specific hardware-caused slowdown that’s no longer there but it’s true that slowdowns caused by the original hardware is no longer there for obvious reasons. I’m sure your readers will notice which ones are gone before I even do. You’ll see though that the majority of the slowdown and flicker from the old games were programmatically inserted because most of it still remains. Off the top of my head, the game will still slow down a lot when you get about five or six Adhering Suzy enemies on the screen at once in Cut Man’s stage.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I got the notification that there were new 3DS themes, and I wasted no time to get this one.

CcAKQO_VAAESyqy_zps4ipulkwr.jpg

• Options
    I did the same thing, but put the Legacy Collection in the middle there, and only used games around it that looked like character portraits.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Oh goodness. How much is that theme? I don't even play my 3DS all that often, but that theme seems completely worth whatever money.

• Options
    Probably $1 or $2, I think that's how much most of them are.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    It was $2. I had $10 on my eShop account, now I have $8.

The vast majority are $2, but a select few are $1.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Capcom Survey Asks About Mega Man 11 and More Collections
    Capcom Japan has launched an online survey asking fans what they'd like to see from the franchise next. The survey comes from a URL bundled with the Nintendo 3DS version of Rockman Classics Collection in Japan.

The first batch of questions are pretty generic, like which consoles you own and so forth. In the second set, Capcom asks if "you would like to play a new entry in the classic series (like Mega Man 11). The third set concerns future collections, basically asking which past series (X, Zero, Legends, Battle Network, ZX, Star Force) you'd prefer to see collected.

Although the survey is in Japanese, anyone can participate. All you need is a little help from Google Translate to make your way through. For the postal address, just type in six random numbers, three in each box and select any prefecture. It really doesn't matter.

The survey closes on Saturday, April 30th. What happens after that is anyone's guess.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Gimme more Battle Network.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I need a second Mega Man Collection with 7-10 plus the two fighters.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    It makes me sad that the X series is dead. I want to see a new X game in the style of X-X3. I'm tired of Capcom churning out 'collections' of games I already own.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I wonder if Nintendo can work out a deal like they have with Sonic and get some kind of Mega Man & Mario crossover going.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    My wife commissioned a cake for me, from our friend who owns a bakery.

Edit: It didn't attach! D: I'll fix that when I get home.

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The suspense!

I am Mega Man's greatest nemesis: Old Man.

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    *sees Mighty No. 9 trending on Twitter...*
    *sees people cheering about another delay even though they just misread a European date (12/2 is not December 2nd guys, it's the original Feb. 12th release date in Europe)*
    *sighs*

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    does it even have a release date anymore, or are we into TBA territory?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Second quarter of 2016 is the planned release date. So..they still got some time, but they really should announce it soon.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

There hasn't been an update on their website since the Feb delay to "Spring 2016"

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I would hope that they've learned their lesson and are waiting until they're pretty much done before announcing another date. Better to stay silent then risk another delay.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I would hope that they've learned their lesson and are waiting until they're pretty much done before announcing another date. Better to stay silent then risk another delay.

Hell, I think they should wait to announce until two seconds after the game goes live.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    They should pull a Watchmen. "We released it 35 minutes ago!"

• Options
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    gamestop sets whatever dates they want

that means zilch

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Normally, I'd agree.

But then again Mighty No. 9...

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    gamestop sets whatever dates they want

that means zilch

Yeah, no way in hell it comes out in the summer.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's not technically a delay if they didn't have a date set anymore. Still tho... :tell_me_more:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    On one hand, they were saying Spring 2016, so technically Summer would be a delay. On the other hand, Gamestop can make up all the placeholder release dates they want, so it is kinda messed up to dump on Comcept over this. I mean, there are plenty of other reasons to dump on them, you don't have to make up new reasons to be upset about it.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I'm honestly not even mad about this game anymore. I don't remember how much I backed it for, but I've easily received more than that in entertainment value over the past couple years.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    This has gotten to the point where I wouldn't completely rule out the idea that Capcom is covertly sabotaging him somehow. I just can't honestly imagine how development for a game of this scale could be so horribly mismanaged.

Viskod on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    This has gotten to the point where I wouldn't completely rule out the idea that Capcom is covertly sabotaging him somehow. I just can't honestly imagine how development for a game of this scale could be so horribly mismanaged.

Making games is astonishingly hard.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

Making games is astonishingly hard.

Ramero did a post mortem on Doom a couple years ago. The game they made was so far from what they set out to make. Watching it made me feel bad for all devs that are bound to Kickstarter pitches and promises.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life