As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Brussels Bombings] 31~ Dead, 250~ Injured

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    anyway right now the situation is still unfolding and I don't know anymore about what experts or authorities think about responsibility, although raids are currently being conducted in Brussels' Schaerbeek district

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SavgeSavge Indecisive Registered User regular
    Maybe Trump was right

• Options
    Here is the BBC's latest roundup of events:
    • Police have issued a wanted notice for a man in a hat who was caught on CCTV pushing a laden luggage trolley at Zaventem airport.
    • An explosive device containing nails, chemical products and a flag of the so-called Islamic State were found during raids in Brussels.
    • Police operations were under way at several points in the city but a lockdown imposed after the attacks has been eased.
    • The threat level across Belgium has been raised to maximum, and troops have been deployed in Brussels.
    • Security has been beefed up in many other European cities.
    • More than 30 people are believed to have been killed in the attacks.

And the more comprehensive summary: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35869254

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    mRahmani was warned for this.
    Savge wrote: »
    Maybe Trump was right

Oh fuck off

Trump is these asshole's dream candidate.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Beautiful, I hope the CN tower follows suit. I think signs of standing with those suffering and grieving are important, however small as they may be in the grand scheme of things.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Preacher wrote: »
    Terrorist org's always claim responsibility immediately following something, doesn't mean they actually did it. I believe ISIS claimed San Bernadino was theirs as well when it was just a wannabe.
    IS's claims of responsibility have generally been corroborated; from what I've seen they are not in the habit of claiming attacks that they didn't commit. You're right to refer to the San Bernadino perpetrators as wannabes, but IS wasn't really dishonest in claiming that attack either. IS specifically calls for disaffected Muslims in Western countries to commit lone wolf attacks regardless of organizational contact and without seeking prior approval from IS central. This theme not only recurs frequently in their propaganda, but is part of their ideological and methodological approach to terrorism as a strategy. So when IS says "a soldier of the Caliphate attacked the infidels in San Bernadino" it's because their definition of "soldier of the Caliphate" is liberal enough to include anyone who pledges allegiance on Facebook.*

Plus, this is trademark IS style terrorism. al-Qaeda is the only other remotely likely option, and if AQ has remained silent while IS has claimed responsibility (as seems to be the case), I think IS is almost certainly the culprit.

*IS does issue formal public acceptance speeches for pledges from previously independent jihadist groups, like Boko Haram and much of the TTP (sometimes called the "Pakistani Taliban") in Afghanistan/Pakistan. But this is bit different from the lone wolf phenomenon IMO.

Edit- apologies for the sloppy post, a bit sleep deprived

Kaputa on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    For me though claiming ISIS did it because it follows their idealogy isn't exactly a true statement. And ginning up the spooky ISIS argument like they did for San Bernadino just seems to inflame the mistaken belief that "OH NOES FUCKING ISIS IS GOING TO BLOW SHIT UP OVER HERE!!!" which serves no one any good. Especially in the wake of people like Ted Cruz wanting to bring back internment camps.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »

Trying to follow along, but I'm not sure I'm grasping the full implications of this. The group claiming responsibility is targeting its PR at EU/US and not it's own people?
    I'm still catching up on events after getting out of work, but this wouldn't surprise me too much. While a successful attack on a European country would probably be a morale booster in IS's ranks, the point of terrorism is to scare the targets of the attack. It's more important that the US and Europe know who attacked Belgium than it is for their people in Iraq and Syria, who are probably more focused on the ongoing war with their multitude of foes and the US/Russian bombing campaigns.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Terrorist org's always claim responsibility immediately following something, doesn't mean they actually did it. I believe ISIS claimed San Bernadino was theirs as well when it was just a wannabe.
    IS's claims of responsibility have generally been corroborated; from what I've seen they are not in the habit of claiming attacks that they didn't commit. You're right to refer to the San Bernadino perpetrators as wannabes, but IS wasn't really dishonest in claiming that attack either. IS specifically calls for disaffected Muslims in Western countries to commit lone wolf attacks regardless of organizational contact and without seeking prior approval from IS central. This theme not recurs frequently in their propaganda, but is part of their ideological and methodological approach to terrorism as a strategy. So when IS says "a soldier of the Caliphate attacked the infidels in San Bernadino" it's because their definition of "soldier of the Caliphate" is liberal enough to include anyone who pledges allegiance on Facebook.*

Plus, this is trademark IS style terrorism. al-Qaeda is the only other remotely likely option, and if AQ has remained silent while IS has claimed responsibility (as seems to be the case), I think IS is almost certainly the culprit.

Agreed.

The reason they spend time on a well produced English language publication is precisely to encourage lone wolf attacks. They aren't necessarily providing back channel support in terms of armaments, but lone wolf attacks are both the intention and predictable results of a careful, long term media strategy, as well as a broader result of the ideological view they attempt to foster.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    @Hakkekage , may I please request that you edit out the picture of the attack suspects?

Recruitment & radicalization relies in part on the promise that a given martyr can expect some glorification / celebrity status as an unwitting result of news coverage (in the same way that some spree shooters are encouraged by the promise of having their name known).

They'll be getting that anyway, of course, but I think we should avoid being part of the process that gives it to them if possible.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Ender while I understand your point I am skeptical of the real world recruitment effect of posting a surveillance image that Belgian police are in fact circulating, and have issued a wanted alert in particular for the man in white.

At any rate it's been hours and I'm on mobile, so later

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    @The Ender

Not like there are any belgians on the forums that I'm aware of but I believe white jacket & hat is considered still at-large. So imo the picture should stay.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    @The Ender

Not like there are any belgians on the forums that I'm aware of but I believe white jacket & hat is considered still at-large. So imo the picture should stay.

Split the difference, draw penises all around them. Defame and inform!

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Unconfirmed reports now of two suspects being arrested in Schaerbeek, and a shrapnel bomb being found with an accompanying ISIS flag.

EDIT: Apparently the taxi driver that the attackers used to get to the airport (the driver was not a willing accomplice) went to the police and led them to where he picked-up the suspects.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Whenever I hear about weak old Europe, I always want to go "bitch, this is the continent that made the Holocaust. 6 million dead over a period of 3 year".

That's whats worries me about attacks like this. If Europe gets angry, I wouldn't want to be a Muslim for all the tea in China.

I am more scared of watching somebody re-enacting the Reich's greatest hits, then I am of being caught up in a terrorist attack.
    *Europe* didn't "make the Holocaust". .

Of course not, Oceania did it.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    tinwhiskers was warned for this.
    I was someone confused after this seems to happen after Paris, but now that it is happenign again in Belgium.

WTF is with the cops letting these guys sit for as long as they do. Like it would be one thing if they were rolling all these warrants after the attacks and finding nothing, but they seem to be pretty constantly finding assembled bombs. It seems like they are sitting on these guys hoping to get bigger fish for a long as time.

also:
    Figured I'd keep if SFW

W8g7bj7.png

e:Heaven forbid we insult the terrorists.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Can we not do the insult muslims we don't like with pork products? There are plenty of people who don't blow people up that don't eat pork.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I was someone confused after this seems to happen after Paris, but now that it is happenign again in Belgium.

WTF is with the cops letting these guys sit for as long as they do. Like it would be one thing if they were rolling all these warrants after the attacks and finding nothing, but they seem to be pretty constantly finding assembled bombs. It seems like they are sitting on these guys hoping to get bigger fish for a long as time.

also:
    Figured I'd keep if SFW

XPTRDvu.jpg

seriously?

• Options
    edited March 2016

...I don't think that's a very sound conclusion?

It's not unusual to find assembled / partially assembled bombs at the hideouts of bombing suspects. That doesn't mean the police are just sitting on the suspects; it means there's a degree to which the state trusts people not to use their private lives & homes as munitions factories. Unfortunately, sometimes that trust is abused.

Most of the fragmentation bomb designs that the various ISIS 'cookbooks' disseminate to prospective martyrs are inexpensive & require neither exotic materiel nor unusually large quantities of household chemicals (because they are aware that these are things that raise red flags). There's not a reasonable way for law enforcement to know if a given home is making these bombs or not (its just safe to assume 'not' 99% of the time. Alas, for that 1%...)

EDIT:
    Ender while I understand your point I am skeptical of the real world recruitment effect of posting a surveillance image that Belgian police are in fact circulating, and have issued a wanted alert in particular for the man in white.

Sorry, that's a fair point; I thought it was just an image leaked to the media.

I just try to be extra careful when it comes to re-publishing suspect names / photos.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »

...I don't think that's a very sound conclusion?

It's not unusual to find assembled / partially assembled bombs at the hideouts of bombing suspects. That doesn't mean the police are just sitting on the suspects; it means there's a degree to which the state trusts people not to use their private lives & homes as munitions factories. Unfortunately, sometimes that trust is abused.

Most of the fragmentation bomb designs that the various ISIS 'cookbooks' disseminate to prospective martyrs are inexpensive & require neither exotic materiel nor unusually large quantities of household chemicals (because they are aware that these are things that raise red flags). There's not a reasonable way for law enforcement to know if a given home is making these bombs or not (its just safe to assume 'not' 99% of the time. Alas, for that 1%...)

EDIT:

Sorry, that's a fair point; I thought it was just an image leaked to the media.

I just try to be extra careful when it comes to re-publishing suspect names / photos.

Unfortunately, this is the new normal. And it's not because of Isis - it's because anyone can cause a lot of damage with what is for us simple technology. That's a new historical situation - just two imbeciles managed to kill at least 37 people with a few explosives. Remove ISIS from the world, and this problem will continue to exist.

• Options

also:
    Figured I'd keep if SFW

W8g7bj7.png

e:Heaven forbid we insult the terrorists.

Your edit is still pretty bad. God damn.

• Options
    It's not so much insult the terrorists its literally playing into the exact mentality that turns them radical.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BBC's coverage has ended for today. Their summary of events:
    • Police are hunting for a man in a hat who was caught on CCTV pushing a laden luggage trolley at Zaventem airport before a twin attack there.
    • An explosive device containing nails, chemical products and a flag of the so-called Islamic State were found during raids in Brussels.
    • Police operations were still under way in the Schaerbeek area of Brussels well into the night.
    • The threat level across Belgium has been raised to maximum, and troops have been deployed in Brussels.
    • Security has also been beefed up in many other European cities.
    • More than 30 people are believed to have been killed in the attacks.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    It's not so much insult the terrorists its literally playing into the exact mentality that turns them radical.

Religious beliefs are not and should never be above mockery. This has been beaten to death on this forum, especially after the Charlie Hebdo attack, but I'm pretty much firmly planted in the "too bad you're offended, but tough shit" camp. I realize that's probably a minority/unpopular opinion around these parts, but events like this serve as stark reminders (to me anyway) of the importance of not kowtowing to those who seek to impose their beliefs on others through subjugation and violence.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Yall wrote: »

Religious beliefs are not and should never be above mockery. This has been beaten to death on this forum, especially after the Charlie Hebdo attack, but I'm pretty much firmly planted in the "too bad you're offended, but tough shit" camp. I realize that's probably a minority/unpopular opinion around these parts, but events like this serve as stark reminders (to me anyway) of the importance of not kowtowing to those who seek to impose their beliefs on others through subjugation and violence.

You want to be an offensive goose, then own it. I'm tired of people arguing that they should have the right to mock the beliefs of others, then wonder why they're held in contempt by those people.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

would that post be ok if it was jewish terrorists instead of muslim ones?

• Options
    edited March 2016

Most Muslims aren't doing that, though, and IMHO it is very distasteful to start lumping everyone from that religious group in with a group of radicalized youths.

EDIT: And I've said it before, and I'll say it again - religious convictions are a negative predictor for violent behavior.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Can we not do the insult muslims we don't like with pork products? There are plenty of people who don't blow people up that don't eat pork.

How is it insulting anyone?

• Options
    Gator wrote: »

Sure, why not? Especially if their motivation was similar to what we've been seeing in Europe from ISIS affiliate types.

"Religious beliefs are not and should never be above mockery."

I stand by that. If it hurts feelings? Oh well. Grow up. If more religious people had thick skin, we'd see less violence based upon antiquated belief systems

• Options
    edited March 2016

You want to be an offensive goose, then own it. I'm tired of people arguing that they should have the right to mock the beliefs of others, then wonder why they're held in contempt by those people.

I mock them because of their actions. Chicken before the egg and what not.

And to be fair, it's not like I'm posting anything specifically to defend offend religious people here or out in the wild. I'm just defending the right to do it as a response to religious based violence.

edit: strikethrough

Yall on
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

In the same way as Trump's little story about the bullets dipped in pig's blood.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Just to be clear, you are helping the terrorists with their end goals pretty much 100%.

I get the "you're offended, I don't care, because I'm a big silly goose", thing, but this isn't saying their religion is above ridicule what I'm saying is fucking cool it because you making fun of their core fucking beliefs and fucking alienating them is 100% what Daesh wants you to do. Stop following the fucking enemy's plan ya goose.

• Options

Sure, why not? Especially if their motivation was similar to what we've been seeing in Europe from ISIS affiliate types.

I stand by that. If it hurts feelings? Oh well. Grow up. If more religious people had thick skin, we'd see less violence based upon antiquated belief systems

The attacks are not motivated by antiquated belief systems.

With Love and Courage
  • Options

The attacks are not motivated by antiquated belief systems.

There was an interesting point brought up by the head of counterterrorism in Belgium:
    Previously we were mostly dealing with 'radical Islamists' — individuals radicalized toward violence by an extremist interpretation of Islam — but now we’re increasingly dealing with what are best described as 'Islamized radicals.'

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

In the same way as Trump's little story about the bullets dipped in pig's blood.
    You are going to have to be more explicit.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

Just to be clear, you are helping the terrorists with their end goals pretty much 100%.

I get the "you're offended, I don't care, because I'm a big silly goose", thing, but this isn't saying their religion is above ridicule what I'm saying is fucking cool it because you making fun of their core fucking beliefs and fucking alienating them is 100% what Daesh wants you to do. Stop following the fucking enemy's plan ya goose.

Nope, actually I'm not (unless you care to show me where I am...).

I'm defending doing so. I've not mocked anyone (well, unless you consider calling a religious an antiquated belief system "mockery").

• Options

Pork is not (generally) eaten by Muslims as a tradition, and there is a rather insulting western myth orbiting this tradition that suggests Muslims are afraid of pigs / pork products (thus the reason they don't eat pork, you see).

The tradition is not especially strange; most cultures have some taboos / prohibitions against eating some arbitrary animal group. Westerners do not eat dogs or cats (generally), for example.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Pork is not (generally) eaten by Muslims as a tradition, and there is a rather insulting western myth orbiting this tradition that suggests Muslims are afraid of pigs / pork products (thus the reason they don't eat pork, you see).

The tradition is not especially strange; most cultures have some taboos / prohibitions against eating some arbitrary animal group. Westerners do not eat dogs or cats (generally), for example.

I think he meat more explicit about the story regarding Trump and the comments. Pretty sure he has some basic knowledge about Muslims and their dietary restrictions...

edit; ha! typo "meat" instead of "meant".

Yall on
  • Options
    @Yall , if you would like to discuss the value / worthiness of insulting religious traditions, would you please make a separate topic for doing so?

That kind of conversation is likely to derail the thread, IMHO.

With Love and Courage