Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I just bought SSB WiiU over the weekend.

Boy am I confused. This game isn't anything like the others.

I guess there's no story this time? And there's no unlocking characters? And what the hell is up with that Mario Party-style board game? I went through 15 rounds of it and at the end I didn't know what I was doing. Like at all. And they said during the Final Battle that I would get to use all the characters that I had collected during the board game? But then I didn't? And they had me use someone that I had never used at all during the board game? It's all so confusing.

And I tried using Mario in a standard battle, and I guess he doesn't know how to Butt-Stomp? At least, I was never able to figure out how to butt stomp.

I've played every other SSB in the series, but after about 20 minutes with it, this one has me baffled.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    He's never had the butt-stomp.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    There are unlockable characters:
    Wario, Falco, Dr Mario, Lucina, Dark Pit, ROB, Mr Game & Watch and Duck Hunt.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah it's one of those games where they don't have giant "????" where the secret characters are supposed to be.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    You do use all the guys you have collected as your stocks at the end of smash tour - but, it is very wacky and confusing so maybe something happened right before that switched up all your mans

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I played that mode once and figured that was enough.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    You do use all the guys you have collected as your stocks at the end of smash tour - but, it is very wacky and confusing so maybe something happened right before that switched up all your mans

Well during the course of the board game, I used Mega Man twice, Sheik once, and Zero Suit Samus once. Then during the final battle, I was expecting to have 3 lives and use those 3 dudes. But I only had two lives and they had me use Sheik and Lucario, who I had never used during the game. That's why I was so confused.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    You use the trophies you collect as your stock, but there is at least one space on the board that has a "swap your dudes" effect, plus if you have a bunch and lose two, they're sort of randomly chosen so you could end up losing the two you used most.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The board game mode isn't nearly as fun as the 3DS Smash Run, but my kids love the board game, so I play it quite a bit with them.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I like Smash Tour, actually. It's a nice way to inject weird effects you might never think to try into the game. It doesn't properly explain itself at all, though, and didn't really wrap my head around it until the second time I played it. edit: I should say, I've only had fun in multiplayer. Alone its just dull.

Of course, my friends and I frequently just play Random Characters Random Stage, so I realize that I may not be the "normal" Smash player.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    If you're after solo fun times in Smash Bros Kerfuffle, start by trying to unlock all the characters. Then the Events matches are quite meaty. Then go to work trying to clear the Challenge board! I've spent nearly 100 hours in Smash, most of it solo. ;P

Smash Tour was incoherent anti fun, IMO. Avoid!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I think the speed in 3D World is fine?

It's faster than the Galaxy games

What's the point of comparison?

I remember Galaxy being practically glacial when I played it, when it came out on Wii U. I don't think there's a run button in that game, though. You just eventually shifted from 'plodding' to 'moseying'. I will definitely give this another shot, but I haven't seen anything amazing in the first world so far. Even the boss fight with Bowser, who is driving a giant car, was incredibly slow. I was all prepared to have to struggle to keep up with him and I ended up either standing still or walking the entire time. I think there was one jump.

I played Mario 1-3 and then never had a SNES, N64 or Wii. I liked Sunshine, but it wasn't meant to be fast, you were carefully aiming most of the time. So I'm looking for, I don't know...Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio...Kya? So far this is mostly 'get cat suit, run to the top of everything, maybe jump a few times'. Not badly done, I'm just not feeling it.

The games ramp up in difficulty, the first world is not going to be much challenge. I always use the long jump to get around faster, see if that helps you.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    After world 4, when you've gotten a general sense of all the game mechanics they start ramping up the crazy which culminates in the last few worlds.
    And then gets even crazier on Star Road.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    You use the trophies you collect as your stock, but there is at least one space on the board that has a "swap your dudes" effect, plus if you have a bunch and lose two, they're sort of randomly chosen so you could end up losing the two you used most.

You're also essentially betting the fighters you use in the matches, with the winner taking the one the loser used.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Nikkei is reporting that Wii U production is ceasing at the end of the year.

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLZO98745680T20C16A3TI5000/?dg=1

• Options

According to Nikkei, Nintendo is going to cease production on Wii U at the end of the year. :?

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    jinx

can't say I'm super surprised, it had comparable hardware sales to the PS Vita, which was taken out back and shot while back. Wonder if that means no hardware bundle with the new Zelda game? :<

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I would be super surprised if that news is accurate.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    I would be super surprised if that news is accurate.

Really? The Wii U sold like garbage. They probably have tons just sitting in warehouses going unsold. No need to make more when the system is likely being phased out for the NX

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    It wouldn't mean they're pulling the Wii U from shelves or anything, just that their projections for sales means they don't expect to need any more Wii Us made after the end of the year. Mayhaps because of something they might wanna announce sometime soon. :tell_me_more:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Should probably look into getting a spare gamepad to keep as backup now, when the sticks wear out down the line.

• Options
    Where can you buy a standalone gamepad? Straight from Nintendo?

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Where can you buy a standalone gamepad? Straight from Nintendo?

Yeah I think so. They don't sell them in stores. I think it's over $100 too

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I don't see the gamepad for sale as a standalone at store.nintendo.com. Probably better off just getting another console once it gets severely reduce price drops when NX hits. Looking at the store page they seem to have USB LAN adapters again. Getting the Nintendo branded ones was hard to find.

• Options
    I don't see the gamepad for sale as a standalone at store.nintendo.com. Probably better off just getting another console once it gets severely reduce price drops when NX hits. Looking at the store page they seem to have USB LAN adapters again. Getting the Nintendo branded ones was hard to find.

I can't look now, but check their support sections. You may be able to order one as a "replacement" controller.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I wouldn't assume that the next console won't also have a Wii U transfer including pad option (purchasable separately or included for all we know).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

According to Nikkei, Nintendo is going to cease production on Wii U at the end of the year. :?

Woooooow.

Well, guess that means NX this year for sure.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I wouldn't assume that the next console won't also have a Wii U transfer including pad option (purchasable separately or included for all we know).

If they do the sensical thing and change the hardware to match PC standards, it probably won't ever be capable of running Wii U games.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    jothki wrote: »

If they do the sensical thing and change the hardware to match PC standards, it probably won't ever be capable of running Wii U games.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it really makes in practice. I mean, Wii U supports Unity anyway, it's not like Unity coders have to expend any extra effort due to the difference in architecture, it just works. Other engines could be similar in that respect.

They could also do what they've traditionally done for several generations now, include a complete or mostly-complete Wii U in the next system in addition to new hardware, so there's no emulation to be concerned with at all, it just runs natively, but the primary CPU is x86. Depends on how prohibitively expensive that might be.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    It wouldn't mean they're pulling the Wii U from shelves or anything, just that their projections for sales means they don't expect to need any more Wii Us made after the end of the year. Mayhaps because of something they might wanna announce sometime soon. :tell_me_more:

Exactly. It's not discontinued (yet). But if the news is accruate, it will likely be discontinued sometime next year. Which, if the NX IS a successor to the Wii U, is unsurprising.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Eh they can probably just emulate it with a powerful enough CPU. MS pulled it off with X360 -> Xbone

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Woooooow.

I think it could mean two things: the NX is coming out this year and it's not backwards compatible or the NX is coming out next year. They're ending production at the end of the year which probably means fiscal year which is in 2017. Unless they actually don't have a bunch of Wii Us sitting around already that's a whole lot of extra ones to be making when a new console is right ready to replace it. The Wii U already has either zero or negative name recognition so who's going to buy one when a brand new Nintendo console is sitting right beside it? The literal only reason I can see someone buying a Wii U this late if the NX is coming out this year is if the NX can't play Zelda.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I think it could mean two things: the NX is coming out this year and it's not backwards compatible or the NX is coming out next year.

I'm curious why you think that. IMO, all it means is they don't expect Wii U to sell much once NX is released (reasonable assumption given it doesn't sell much now :P). I don't really see backwards compatibility factoring in at all though. I mean, Wiis still sold after Wii U was released. GameCubes still sold after Wii was released, etc etc. People like to pick up the old generation on the cheap, especially when you have, say, a family on a budget who wants to get any kind of vidjamagame system for their kid(s) at the cheapest price possible :P Super cheap console with a big library of likely discounted games can be very attractive compared to brand new $400+ console with like 5 games :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

I'm not sure how much of a difference it really makes in practice. I mean, Wii U supports Unity anyway, it's not like Unity coders have to expend any extra effort due to the difference in architecture, it just works. Other engines could be similar in that respect.

They could also do what they've traditionally done for several generations now, include a complete or mostly-complete Wii U in the next system in addition to new hardware, so there's no emulation to be concerned with at all, it just runs natively, but the primary CPU is x86. Depends on how prohibitively expensive that might be.

Even if a game developer using an existing engine doesn't have to worry about platform differences, the engine developer most certainly did. And if an engine adds support for a new platform, it doesn't automatically mean that existing games will run on that platform. At absolute minimum, the game would have to be updated to be use the new version of the engine and a version for that platform exported/compiled.

Any specific game engine is not going to be a factor in whether the NX will play Wii U games.

• Options
    You know, I hate to say this, but I think I am going to call no backwards compatibility. Under the assumption Nintendo is changing the architecture (which rumors suggest), I feel like the only reasonable way to support it is via packaging in the old hardware. And the thing is, price bit them in the ass *hard* with Wii U. Yes, they *could* emulate the old hardware, but that is extremely hard (they'd be writing an emulator from scratch keep in mind) and they'd want to test individual games for proper compatibility... You thought the Virtual Console releases were a trickle? Imagine them play testing a modern game....

I add onto this the rumor that "they are working on another Smash Bros for NX" which everyone assumes will be a port of the Wii U version. Maybe that will be their strategy - port over the most popular Wii U titles instead of supporting backwards compatibility. They can re-sell the game, make it look a little prettier potentially... the Wii U audience is low enough they might consider this a reasonable approach.

But yeah, if there is any backwards compatibility I feel like they will for sure just package the old hardware inside. But the feasibility of that will come down to cost.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man...I'm so conflicted. There's so much I hate about the Wii U, but I love to boot it up much more than my PS4. I hate the tablet controller battery life but man is it GREAT when you have to share the TV. Sigh...too bad you never got that momentum going Wii U.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Woooooow.

I think it could mean two things: the NX is coming out this year and it's not backwards compatible or the NX is coming out next year. They're ending production at the end of the year which probably means fiscal year which is in 2017. Unless they actually don't have a bunch of Wii Us sitting around already that's a whole lot of extra ones to be making when a new console is right ready to replace it. The Wii U already has either zero or negative name recognition so who's going to buy one when a brand new Nintendo console is sitting right beside it? The literal only reason I can see someone buying a Wii U this late if the NX is coming out this year is if the NX can't play Zelda.

That's a good point. Did they specify calandar year, or fiscal year? Because Nintendo's fiscal year starts in May. So they're either ending production on December 2016 or May 2017, which is a pretty sizable gap of time.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Man...I'm so conflicted. There's so much I hate about the Wii U, but I love to boot it up much more than my PS4. I hate the tablet controller battery life but man is it GREAT when you have to share the TV. Sigh...too bad you never got that momentum going Wii U.

I love my Wii U way more than any of the others this gen. I boot it up almost every day, even if sometimes it's just to watch youtube videos or something on my big TV. The Gamepad makes that much more convenient. And Hyrule Warriors is still my favorite game of 2014 :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    You know, I hate to say this, but I think I am going to call no backwards compatibility. Under the assumption Nintendo is changing the architecture (which rumors suggest), I feel like the only reasonable way to support it is via packaging in the old hardware. And the thing is, price bit them in the ass *hard* with Wii U. Yes, they *could* emulate the old hardware, but that is extremely hard (they'd be writing an emulator from scratch keep in mind) and they'd want to test individual games for proper compatibility... You thought the Virtual Console releases were a trickle? Imagine them play testing a modern game....

I add onto this the rumor that "they are working on another Smash Bros for NX" which everyone assumes will be a port of the Wii U version. Maybe that will be their strategy - port over the most popular Wii U titles instead of supporting backwards compatibility. They can re-sell the game, make it look a little prettier potentially... the Wii U audience is low enough they might consider this a reasonable approach.

But yeah, if there is any backwards compatibility I feel like they will for sure just package the old hardware inside. But the feasibility of that will come down to cost.

Yeah, I can only think of 4 big evergreen games that would probably warrant a rerelease

-Smash 4
    -Splatoon
    -Mario Maker
    -Mario Kart 8

And I'm not 100% sure of that last one. They may just make a Mario Kart 9.

• Options
    Zython wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yeah, I can only think of 4 big evergreen games that would probably warrant a rerelease

-Smash 4
    -Splatoon
    -Mario Maker
    -Mario Kart 8

And I'm not 100% sure of that last one. They may just make a Mario Kart 9.

Super Mario 3D World and Hyrule Warriors (Super Duper Legendary Edition with 900 hours of gameplay!! :P) But basically yes. Maybe also Pikmin 3, but I assume the Pikmin 4 they blurted out they were working on will be an NX title at this point.