As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reality II: This Time, It's Virtual, and on consoles!

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
edited October 2016 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCxFGxqLsHE
All the promises of the 1992 cinema classic 'The Lawnmower Man' will soon be yours! Every single one!

maxresdefault.jpg
The Oculus Rift, funded by Kickstarted and eventually purchased by Facebook, is the catalyst for this entire new wave of tech

Releasing this Tuesday for $600, the Oculus is also launching with its own storefront for app purchases, and comes with an Xbox One controller and wireless dongle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEazj_iLAuM
The HTC Vive, created in partnership with HTC and Valve, has gotten the reputation as the "high-end" VR headset

Releasing next week for $800, the Vive offers "room scale" VR, coming with two cameras to place in the corners of a room, to allow you to physically walk around and have that be tracked by the game

The Vive also comes with two "Touch" controllers to track hand motions; the Oculus Rift will release theirs sometime later this year, for an unknown price

maxresdefault.jpg
Playstation VR, developed and released by Sony, is now considered the "entry-level" VR

While the other two major headsets are for high-end gaming PCs, the Playstation VR is exclusively for Playstation 4 consoles and will support every PS4 release, be it a VR-native mode or a simulated room experience with games that aren't made for VR

Playstation VR releases this October for $400 just with the headset, or $500 to include the needed tracking camera, and optional Move controllers and pack-in game

These are the "major" headsets; there are also lower-end Android models, the $100 Gear VR for Galaxy S6 and above model phones, and the $15 Google Cardboard, which is a cardboard box you strap to your face

maxresdefault.jpg
That's a Virtual Boy.

6F32U1X.png
Mr. G on

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I've got a Gear VR coming my way soon.

I will post my thoughts on it when I get to try it out!

I am hopeful that it will be real cool.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    My vive should arrive on the 5th. Maybe I'll do some streaming.

Anyone else getting one so we can raw data/hover junkers or other co-op shenanigans?

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping to have a Rift some time in April, which I'm pretty excited about.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    I'm hoping at least the Oculus will have like Best Buy kiosks, cause I've never gotten to try any VR thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm hoping at least the Oculus will have like Best Buy kiosks, cause I've never gotten to try any VR thing

Yeah I'd like to give it a try to see if my grumpy old man attitude towards it is justified or not.

(I don't think it will be my cup of tea but I am really jazzed for folks who are interested in this stuff to finally be getting it into their homes.)

• Options
    Last time I was at Best Buy, which was months ago, they had a Gear VR demo unit, but it wasn't working

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I think there's a chain of pc stores or something in britain that has vive demos, and the microsoft nyc store has a demo station.

But they haven't revealed a larger plan for the u.s.

Oculus didn't really make a push to get them out to streamers and the like like HTC did. So I don't have hopes for in store demos in the near future.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I am going to give VR at least 2 years to really latch on before I blow that much money on it.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    gonna go for the Playstation VR

the Battlefront jetpack ride

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2016
    I just want to log in and yell

"I AM GOD HERE!"

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I was super interested in the Rift and Vive until prices came out

I'd been expecting them to be pricy, sure, but the Canadian equivalents cost more than I paid for rent

If I get any version this cycle it'll be a Playstation VR, but to be honest it's more likely I'll take a wait-and-see approach, rather than hedge my bets on which of these options doesn't turn into the next HD-DVD player

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    don't forget hololens craziness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d59O6cfaM0

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

"I AM GOD HERE!"

Access Denied

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Then I will make every phone ring at the same time.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Then the cell towers melt.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I was just thinking to myself, "I wish my face were sweatier when I played bideogames"

now that dream can be real

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Three days ago I got an email saying my order will be processed in the next 1-3 weeks for my Oculus. I am so fucking excited, y'all!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    GiantBomb will be doing a livestream tomorrow morning at 7am pst showcasing a bunch of the day 1 Occulus Rift offerings

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    reality 2 just seems like filler setting up for the avengers

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    reality 2 just seems like filler setting up for the avengers

I am going to imagine it took you all afternoon to come up with this one.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

"I AM GOD HERE!"

Access Denied

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I was like, man people are really not taking this to the level that I want them to

then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDPRRt7Ofso

• Options
    Moonlight sonata is such a good choice for that.

• Options
    Kerbal Space Program 2 would be a pretty excellent choice as a VR title.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Gotta get this on this first page:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkIs37a2JE

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I was like, man people are really not taking this to the level that I want them to

then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDPRRt7Ofso

Personally I think the apollo 11 experience is a lot cooler than adrift. But that's a more reality vs fantasy type deal.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that adrift trailer says september 2015 at the end... is this another MGSV release date situation

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    That is also very cool, but for very different reasons.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I tried an Oculus Rift early edition a while ago because someone had managed to get their hands on it, and while it was sort of interesting while it was on, I had to sit down and not walk around anywhere for about 10 minutes afterwards, the whole nausea/vertigo/etc thing hit me super hard. There's lots of claims that they've made it better since then, but as it stands, I am not a good customer.

(I have one of the cardboard phone-holding things as well; when I put an iphone in there, I don't have the same problems at all, probably because it's less immersive so my brain doesn't try and get all confused).

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I've got the PSVR bundle pre-ordered

I am looking forward to Rez Infinite and anything else that looks cool

I will hope and pray that No Man's Sky receives VR support

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I am not super interested in VR, but I figure I should give it a go. I wear glasses though (I'm nearsighted) and I worry that I won't be able to comfortably use VR headsets. I figure I've either got to wear glasses and have them pressed against my head, or hope that the screens are at the right distance to not require glasses?

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    one of the main bullet points on the Vive is "works with most glasses". YMMV, of course

(I'm only faintly interested in the tech, but I plan to follow the thread for a while and see if I can't get convinced)

• Options
    Giant Bomb's all-day stream is supposed to start in about 20 minutes

Also apparently the Oculus is out today

I had assumed tomorrow

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Giant Bomb's all-day stream is supposed to start in about 20 minutes

Also apparently the Oculus is out today

I had assumed tomorrow

Let's See How Much VR We Can Handle Before We Vomit

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Don't see VR catching on with Gaming but I do think Home theaters and industries like construction will use it to great effect.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I7mW6Qi.png

THE FUTURE IS HERE

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imlbNXF6gpM
    Giant Bomb's stream is live and installing drivers is real WAIT WHAT IS VR TENNIS ONLINE

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    probably an old joke, but why is Thor working for Giant Bomb?