Options

I'm playing Over[chat]

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Has someone made a game where biologically engineer a creature in the style of factorio or kerbal and then send it into an environment?

If someone says "spore" I'm going to kick a puppy through a window

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    If a customer leaves your website frustrated your links are hard to navigate only to google it specifically and make google find the elusive page does this mean google is awesome or your page is shit?

Yes

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    i mean google is pretty easy once you understand how to use: site:domainname "Search terms"

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    There's no doubt that all astronauts, and particularly that early batch of astronauts, are psychologically tough-as-nails, but interviews with the Apollo guys about Armstrong's crash, even like 30 years after the fact, are basically a combination of stunned silence, "that vehicle was so friggin' dangerous, Jesus", and "He literally ejected sideways. That doesn't even make sense, how is he alive."
    What was this?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    There's no doubt that all astronauts, and particularly that early batch of astronauts, are psychologically tough-as-nails, but interviews with the Apollo guys about Armstrong's crash, even like 30 years after the fact, are basically a combination of stunned silence, "that vehicle was so friggin' dangerous, Jesus", and "He literally ejected sideways. That doesn't even make sense, how is he alive."

It's its pretty much a miracle that the chute filled...like watching the video it doesn't seem like it should have.

The sideways ejection actually saved him. He ejected into the wind, the horizontal movement filled the chute faster than if he was straight up and down.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    So in factorio you have these critters that come at you if you attack them. Or if you pollute too much and they go all wrath of gaia (except not gaia since this is an alien planet. Anyway.) So I walled myself in. And then fortified those walls. And kept doing it. And now I've basically been doing nothing but make walls.

In all its splendor, The Reason I Haven't Gotten Anything Done Today

oUAPJpLh.jpg

eu7caxVh.jpg
    This wall was kinda overkill. The ammunition conveyor belt for the gun turrets is linked with the central factory, ensuring that they will never run out. Ever.

FQ4wLyA.jpg
    A more reasonable design with lower turret density, and abandoning the "cell" idea for a large circular ammunition conveyor belt, ensuring that more than enough spare ammunition is stored in the wall, should the feed from the central factory be interrupted somehow.

dEMR6Wq.jpg
    The rail gate was built with laser turrets, as they had become available - and my power infrastructure was sufficiently overengineered that I felt that I could rely on it for defence. The rear gun turrets lack an automatic ammunition feed, and are simply a just-in-case measure for if something should happen to get through the gates. Probably overkill, but it's the ammunition feed systems that are a bitch, anyway.
    Get on my ipad.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    i mean google is pretty easy once you understand how to use: site:domainname "Search terms"

Google being so easy is why sites with terrible navigation are so head-scratching to me. Just replace your site's search function with a link to google and some helpful phrases to copy/paste. Or just don't hide helpful links three pages deep on unrelated pages.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Satirical frogrammer books:

http://imgur.com/gallery/vqUQ5

But my favourite is this one:

IQBhKkTl.jpg

For obvious reasons -"Donkey Kong"

I really want this one and "Essential Copying and Pasting from Stack Overflow" printed out as fake book covers, so I can put them on real programming books and hand them to people.

I would definitely keep those on my desk

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    What was this?

imagine a jet engine mounted vertically and attached to a chair with some rudimentary controls

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    If a customer leaves your website frustrated your links are hard to navigate only to google it specifically and make google find the elusive page does this mean google is awesome or your page is shit?
    PEBKAC

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    What was this?

imagine a jet engine mounted vertically and attached to a chair with some rudimentary controls

Rocket+chair+woman_32a189_3659388.jpg

?

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    What was this?

I don't know anything about the early space program.

When I started that video my jaw dropped.

How did they convince him to get into that vehicle?

On the upside, what a satisfying explosion

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    listening to a webinar about implicit bias in the justice system

get wrecked bubble

• Options
    OMG you guys, yes, learn ye more about the LLRVs / LLTVs, and peek for the first time behind the slapstick curtain that was most of the training + experimentation leading up to the first Moon landings

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    this has the depressing ring of truth
    I think Every Frame a Painting says one good thing about what Michael Bay does right but its Bayhem episode, although wonderfully useful, seriously misses the point about what Michael Bay actually does well - although the overwhelming scale of the shot it points out that Michael Bay shoots pretty cleanly is an integral part of what he does well. To put it simply he's realised that there are more people who only occasionally watch films at the cinema than those who regularly watch them.

Michael Bay knows how to pitch films to people who don't watch films much. His characters are normally caricatures for three reasons. First it's easier to follow a caricature than a character. Second it adds to the larger than life feel. And third, the overblown personalities translate more easily. His visual editing is deliberately confusing and this is a feature and not a bug. If you only occasionally go to the cinema you expect to be overwhelmed by the spectacle - and leave feeling disappointed if you don't get a big and overwhelming spectacle. Incoherent visual editing that the cognoscenti dislike is a simple way of providing the overwhelming appeal; your brain tries to track what's happening in detail and can't.

Or in short Michael Bay is the best in the world at doing what he does. But if you own five DVDs or have a netflix subscription then what he does is not aimed at you.

• Options
    also I went to a CLE on ethics and diversity last week

in the hypotheticals we were discussing, one of them was about sexist statements

I'll give you one guess on how long it took an older male attorney to raise his hand and ask "I don't think that statement is sexist, why is it sexist??"

le sigh

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    @Casual disciplining his child http://i.imgur.com/0Zv7hCC.gifv

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

in the hypotheticals we were discussing, one of them was about sexist statements

I'll give you one guess on how long it took an older male attorney to raise his hand and ask "I don't think that statement is sexist, why is it sexist??"

le sigh

first statement

• Options
    B iases
    R eally
    A re
    I nherently
    N ormal

yes I am going to live post this webinar :P

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

get wrecked bubble
    SoItGoes wrote:
    webinar

• Options
    Basically all I'm saying is that every single time we have launched people into space, it has been the height of human arrogance and hubris and the fact that it has largely worked out for us is proof of a kind and loving God

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I think Every Frame a Painting says one good thing about what Michael Bay does right but its Bayhem episode, although wonderfully useful, seriously misses the point about what Michael Bay actually does well - although the overwhelming scale of the shot it points out that Michael Bay shoots pretty cleanly is an integral part of what he does well. To put it simply he's realised that there are more people who only occasionally watch films at the cinema than those who regularly watch them.

Michael Bay knows how to pitch films to people who don't watch films much. His characters are normally caricatures for three reasons. First it's easier to follow a caricature than a character. Second it adds to the larger than life feel. And third, the overblown personalities translate more easily. His visual editing is deliberately confusing and this is a feature and not a bug. If you only occasionally go to the cinema you expect to be overwhelmed by the spectacle - and leave feeling disappointed if you don't get a big and overwhelming spectacle. Incoherent visual editing that the cognoscenti dislike is a simple way of providing the overwhelming appeal; your brain tries to track what's happening in detail and can't.

Or in short Michael Bay is the best in the world at doing what he does. But if you own five DVDs or have a netflix subscription then what he does is not aimed at you.

this is true

only like 11% of people go to the movies on average, once a month

the rest is made up by people who go once a year

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    B iases
    R eally
    A re
    I nherently
    N ormal

Is this for cops or lawyers?

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

get wrecked bubble
    SoItGoes wrote:
    webinar

si?

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    B iases
    R eally
    A re
    I nherently
    N ormal

Is this for cops or lawyers?

for anyone

no cops are watching this tho

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

le sigh

Same thing - workplace harassment / protected class mandatory meeting a few weeks ago, and that guy was actually 3 different guys oh my god get me out of IT or out of Kentucky I don't care which

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    man i love the levon vincent lp

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

get wrecked bubble
    SoItGoes wrote:
    webinar

si?

Lazy joke about the relative bubble-ness of the Webinar Class

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    @Hakkekage

FF15 Dog bro plus sexy noctis bro and sexy dad bro

cov_277_l.jpg

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

le sigh
    My ancestors were British, probably, I'm allowed to say cunt.
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

this is true

only like 11% of people go to the movies on average, once a month

the rest is made up by people who go once a year
    I go to the movies once every 2-3 years, come at me.

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited April 2016

le sigh

Same thing - workplace harassment / protected class mandatory meeting a few weeks ago, and that guy was actually 3 different guys oh my god get me out of IT or out of Kentucky I don't care which

don't worry, in an example where a pregnant lawyer goes to another lawyer's office and has her belly touched without her permission and receives inappropriate comments re: gender? yeah an older woman piped up with "I would have just told the person to knock it off! You have to stand up for yourself!" thus completely missing the point...

So It Goes on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Yesterday we emailed a statement to a wholesale account that's 90 days delinquent saying we're suspending deliveries until we get payment.

Today they emailed back saying they'd had all kinds of problems with orders from us in the past 3 months and won't pay until those get sorted out.

Problems that they haven't raised with us until we told them they owe us almost $6k.

Guess who's going to collections...

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Basically all I'm saying is that every single time we have launched people into space, it has been the height of human arrogance and hubris and the fact that it has largely worked out for us is proof of a kind and loving God

I would posit the fact it's worked out for the most part means it's not actually that hard, except I've played Kerbal. So now I'm just more in awe than I was before.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

le sigh

don't worry, in an example where a pregnant lawyer goes to another lawyer's office and has her belly touched without her permission and receives inappropriate comments re: gender? yeah an older woman piped up with "I would have just told the person to knock it off! You have to stand up for yourself!" thus completely missing the point...

We got 'lewd conversation on a carpool to work that makes an employee uncomfortable shouldn't count because it's not at work'

oh, and '"sissy" is not a problematic insult'

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    y...

you have to tell me if a cop is watching this....

it's the law...

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Why do people like to touch pregnant bellies, I don't get it.

It makes me uncomfortable watching that happen, then you make eye contact with the woman and she's all :bigfrown: while she's getting felt up.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yesterday we emailed a statement to a wholesale account that's 90 days delinquent saying we're suspending deliveries until we get payment.

Today they emailed back saying they'd had all kinds of problems with orders from us in the past 3 months and won't pay until those get sorted out.

Problems that they haven't raised with us until we told them they owe us almost $6k.

Guess who's going to collections...

*cuts eye-holes in flour sack*

*hefts rolling pin*

• Options

le sigh

first statement

But what was the statement, I must know

• Options

le sigh

first statement

But what was the statement, I must know

a statement implying that because the attorney was a woman she was not able to understand math/accounting

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    the way my bedroom is set up. It's rather large with a sort of wooden counter top that runs along 2 sides of the room (basement, used to be work bench i'm guessing)

So i'm thinking with some wood and cheap carpeting and paint, i can make a cool cat walk that kinda runs along the room that the cat can follow and play on

i mean it would probably ignore it and never use it ever

but it would still be cool

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
This discussion has been closed.