Options

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I can only imagine how hard it is for those that do roles like orks or other gutteral acting. 5 minutes of that and im already feeling strained.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I think Hamill also specifically had said before the movie was announced that he would bring the voice out of retirement if DC were to do specific stories with the Joker, and that Killing Joke was one of them.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Yeah this is the project he has been waiting on. He's wanted to do the role for a killing joke adaptation for years.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Documentary on the making of Zootopia. Man, that cut scene with the little polar bear was heartbreaking, what I wouldn't give to be able to watch the earlier versions of their movies (in all of their sketchy glory), to see how they develop over time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3pF9owYlRI

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    New Powerpuff Girls last night was decidedly meh. Hopefully it's just one of those shows that takes a bit to find its voice and doesn't just stay there. There were a few gags that ran well, but most of it was pretty flat.

It seems to be more character-driven.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So , how many times does this make it that Hamill has "retired" the Joker voice, then done the Joker voice again anyway.

The rumors Ive heard are he quit the Arkham games because video game voice work is almost abusive to the actors

Wouldn't shock me. Video game voice actors have been on the verge of striking over conditions for awhile now.

Yeah, Kevin Conroy said his work on the Arkham games was pretty brutal.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So , how many times does this make it that Hamill has "retired" the Joker voice, then done the Joker voice again anyway.

The rumors Ive heard are he quit the Arkham games because video game voice work is almost abusive to the actors

Wouldn't shock me. Video game voice actors have been on the verge of striking over conditions for awhile now.

Yeah, Kevin Conroy said his work on the Arkham games was pretty brutal.

I remember reading some interview or something with him about the games, and he was saying how drastically different it is doing VO for games vs animation. Animation is not far removed from normal acting. But games? There's a ton of self narration "help" lines (I need to grapple up to that duct) with at least 2-3 forms of variation (If I use the grapple to get up to the duct...) if you don't want it to be stale. Not to mention the bucket load of "oof/aah/ugh/ngh" shit you have to do.

And apparently WB was really unique in their animation department, opting to have all the actors in the room doing their lines with each other. While games and basically everybody else opts to record everything separately.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Yeah VG VAs are typically not together to record lines and it really shows. I feel that having everyone in the same room at the same time really helps bring out their characters. The actors can play off each other just like in movies and on stage.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

I know that it's a highly rated comic, but I never liked what it did to Barbara.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I know that it's a highly rated comic, but I never liked what it did to Barbara.

From what I've read, that's one thing that this version will address directly.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I wonder if this will at all address the theory that it's the final Batman vs. Joker story - that Joker is killed by Batman at the end of it. Will they leave it as arguably ambiguous as the book does, or explicitly show Joker as alive or dead afterwards in some kind of aftermath?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular

Isn't that a double edged statement?
    For if didn't happened, we would never had Oracle? Who Barbara kicked more ass than she did as Batgirl?

Or are we referring to the implications of what may had happen to her?

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »

For if didn't happened, we would never had Oracle? Who Barbara kicked more ass than she did as Batgirl?

I'm guessing the second one. I'm not that familiar with the story itself other than I think it might have been referenced in a Batman Beyond episode where joker really fucks up Dick Grayson*, but even I've heard about that part.

*that may have been an entirely different story that I'm not familiar with either, like I said I don't really read comics.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

I'm guessing the second one. I'm not that familiar with the story itself other than I think it might have been referenced in a Batman Beyond episode where joker really fucks up Dick Grayson*, but even I've heard about that part.

*that may have been an entirely different story that I'm not familiar with either, like I said I don't really read comics.

That was actually the BB movie where the Joker mindfucked Robin.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Dick was already Nightwing and the Robin he messed up was Tim Drake.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I think most people are fine with the shooting but not with the "implications" that occur after. Including Alan Moore apparently

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Oracle happened because John Ostrander is a king among men. It doesn't make what happened to Barbara in TKJ worth it.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I think Orcale is cool but Batgirl is better.

We sell tons of Batgirl stuff at my work. Its kinda heart breaking to think that young girls get their own Batman, but then learn that she's doomed to a support character.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

We sell tons of Batgirl stuff at my work. Its kinda heart breaking to think that young girls get their own Batman, but then learn that she's doomed to a support character.

I've grown to slowly like Gordon's Batgirl over the years via cartoons (YJ, Batman TAS) and comics like Batgirl: Year One and Batgirl of Burnside. I prefer her as Oracle, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI0-pqBNMfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIxyw46qlsk

Best Batgirl is Casandra Cain.

tumblr_luzgcqHLoC1qbujox.jpg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

I don't get this. Everyone in the family is essentially a support character to Batman. And even when she was Oracle back when DC was making comics she had her own book, just like Tim and Dick. And she's had her own series for the last few years too.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    oh wow.. that had to hurt. about 260 to 300lbs of ladies and about a 90 foot drop and Barbara catches a ledge on the first go... at a 1/2inch stop thats something like... 648,000 N (~148,000 lbs) of force applied to her hand.

I'll even be liberal and say she could slow the fall by a foot due to intense training (even though, no, she was already extended to try and grab the ledge) that would be about 27,000 N (~6075 lbs) applied to her hand.

I know, cartoon action logic, but that's just wow. GI Joe kung fu grip.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Man, the new Powerpuff Girls is getting shit on hardcore online, especially over an episode featuring a pony wanting to become a unicorn. The creators of the reboot apparently said in an interview that it was supposed to represent trans issues, but the response from trans people and allies I've seen has been "holy fuck you shouldn't have even tried".

Also apparently Ms. Bellum isn't going to be in the show for some reason and the Mayor is now obsessed with pickles.

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Man, the new Powerpuff Girls is getting shit on hardcore online, especially over an episode featuring a pony wanting to become a unicorn. The creators of the reboot apparently said in an interview that it was supposed to represent trans issues, but the response from trans people and allies I've seen has been "holy fuck you shouldn't have even tried".

Also apparently Ms. Bellum isn't going to be in the show for some reason and the Mayor is now obsessed with pickles.

When does it air? I have a morbid curiosity to see if it's actually as bad as I've heard.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

The mayor was always obsessed with pickles

REQpQbV.gif
    tumblr_ln5wa2Ngos1qjj2ado1_500.png

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The pickle obsession was a minor quirk that grew into a character-defining-trait in the later seasons, as these things often go.

I just find the new cartoon relentlessly meh, not enough life in there, though there are flashes of good ideas and i like what they're going for in concept, everything's a little zanier than it was before and that's fine, but you can't go at zany with this wet-noodle jokes.

• Options
    When does it air? I have a morbid curiosity to see if it's actually as bad as I've heard.

If you're talking about the unicorn episode I don't know, but what I've seen suggests that the Powerpuff Girls find a talking pony that wants to be a unicorn, take him to the Professor to have a procedure done to transform him into one only for it to instead transform him into a monster due to unforeseen side-effects, and then in the end the pony turns back to normal just as real unicorns appear to reveal that the "pony" had been a unicorn all along and that it's tiny horn was hidden underneath a tuft of hair.

If anything the episode seems to be against trans people.

• Options

If you're talking about the unicorn episode I don't know, but what I've seen suggests that the Powerpuff Girls find a talking pony that wants to be a unicorn, take him to the Professor to have a procedure done to transform him into one only for it to instead transform him into a monster due to unforeseen side-effects, and then in the end the pony turns back to normal just as real unicorns appear to reveal that the "pony" had been a unicorn all along and that it's tiny horn was hidden underneath a tuft of hair.

If anything the episode seems to be against trans people.

• Options
    I just meant the show in general.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I've heard the show is trying waaaaaaaay too hard to be all "girl power!" when the original show managed to achieve that organically.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I've heard the show is trying waaaaaaaay too hard to be all "girl power!" when the original show managed to achieve that organically.

That's only in the new OP, really. The rest of it comes from the fact that episodes seem more focused on the girls like a slice-of-life show about superheroes (a la TTG) than a straight superhero toon that occasionally shows a day in the life.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I just meant the show in general.

New episodes air, I believe, Thursdays. But like a lot of Cartoon Network shows, it'll likely be reran at random times during the week.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

That's only in the new OP, really. The rest of it comes from the fact that episodes seem more focused on the girls like a slice-of-life show about superheroes (a la TTG) than a straight superhero toon that occasionally shows a day in the life.

Unsurprising given how "popular" TTG apparently is. Despite it being complete crap.

I would expect other new shows are going to end up similar until they realize the formula isn't going to work.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »

Unsurprising given how "popular" TTG apparently is. Despite it being complete crap.

I would expect other new shows are going to end up similar until they realize the formula isn't going to work.

TTG has the benefit of being a parody of established "serious" characters. PPG started off as a comedy, so there's nothing to make fun of.

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »

The forumla clearly works in fact the original PPG was designed to be 11 minute chunks. The issue with PPG is that it doesn't understand the property at all

• Options
    I don't think there's anything fundamentally broken there, they just need to tighten up the pace and add some zest to the jokes.

• Options
    The art style for anything that they didn't just take from the old show is terrible. It's like they had unused Clarence character designs .

• Options
    It's really bizarre to me that they used the original designs for the old characters but are using a pretty different art style for the new ones. Even if they couldn't emulate the original design aesthetic you'd think they'd at least alter the original characters a bit in appearance so that they don't look like they came from a completely different world.

• Options
    It's really bizarre to me that they used the original designs for the old characters but are using a pretty different art style for the new ones. Even if they couldn't emulate the original design aesthetic you'd think they'd at least alter the original characters a bit in appearance so that they don't look like they came from a completely different world.

If they altered the original characters, people would go apeshit.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

People are going apeshit anyway.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

People are going apeshit anyway.

Okay, well more apeshit.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA