Options

Work sixteen [Job] and what do you get...

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'd love to be able to write in cursive on a caligraphy level, but otherwise I don't really care. My field of work traditionally uses all caps writing anyway.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Cursive is for rapidly writing down information for myself. If other people are meant to read what I'm writing, I switch to a more legible mix of cursive and regular letters.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I can't write non-cursive, never learned it. If I need to write "block letters" as they are called here, I basically write my cursive letters but with little spaces between them.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Is cursive just joined-up writing?

yeah. I don't know what the big problem with it is, but then I am an OLD and had to attend school before these newfangled COMPOOTERS were everywhere.

I think German schools might have started teaching non-cursive writing in the last 5 years or so? Before that it was all cursive all the time.

I only learned simplified cursive in school which is basicall print with connecting lines and slight adjustments to the letters. It's ugly as hell. I think after elementary school you could use print if you liked.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm a big fan of getting rid of cursive in school. So much time spent repeating letters over and over, and today I don't even know how to write half the cursive letters because I haven't had to use it since 5th grade. Now, typing classes would've been infinitely more useful, but we didn't get around to any of that until after I'd long settled into, like, 4-finger typing I still use now.

Plus, even with bad handwriting, normal lettering is usually still readable. With cursive, either the person better have been putting a lot of effort into it or they may as well have been just scribbling circles across the page.

Scooter on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Cursive was taught well enough after I learned print that, while I can use it, it never became something I'd regularly use.
    When I was a small child, I always thought that the Disney "D" was a "G".

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I, also, thought the D was a G.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Back in grade school, right after I was taught cursive I was told by my teachers that my handwriting was so horrible that I could only print from then on. I basically never used cursive again. However I had to reteach myself when I was doing 1800's reenacting since writing with a quill or steel nib pen required it to get the most out of each dip of the pen.

Also as someone who has to use a cursive capital G in his signature, Yo cursive capital Gs are bullshit! Look NOTHING like the printed letter. I've been trying to force myself to move to the Thomas Jefferson method. He always printed any capital letters then the rest of the word was cursive. Looks pretty good.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I feel like every time cursive writing comes up, we all end up repeating the same arguments. I guess you could say the discussion has a tendency to be a bit.........

recursive

enhanced-5041-1396278170-14.jpg

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    The servers are down this morning. Nobody knows for how long. We can't do anything until they are back up.

Just send us home.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I feel like every time cursive writing comes up, we all end up repeating the same arguments. I guess you could say the discussion has a tendency to be a bit.........

recursive
    https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2014-03/enhanced/webdr03/31/11/enhanced-5041-1396278170-14.jpg

Yes but should one?

Anyway I think I mostly dislike cursive because I was bad at writing it and remain bad at quickly reading it, so I'm a little jelly of people who it clicked for/practiced it enough

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I'm having one of those weeks where I'm considering taking two days leave just because the week has been so crap so far.

Kind of a waste of leave but I think I need the long weekend to reset my brain so I can go back to work properly relaxed.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    The servers are down this morning. Nobody knows for how long. We can't do anything until they are back up.

Just send us home.

So how long will they be down? Seems like you're the person to ask.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I had to use cursive through gradeschool, but around about middle school or highschool I started switching to print because I could read it better.

Even when people have good penmanship, I have to struggle to read certain letters because by the nature of cursive a lot of letters look alike.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cursive was taught well enough after I learned print that, while I can use it, it never became something I'd regularly use.
    When I was a small child, I always thought that the Disney "D" was a "G".

I can't not see the "y" as a "p"

Every time the logo comes up I say "Disnep" in my head

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Madican wrote: »
    Wonder if we'll be sent home early tomorrow as well when the coffeemaker catches on fire next.

Seriously who the hell thought lowest bidder was a good idea for electrical work?

Hi! Hello? Yes. I'm here from the government....
    Also as someone who has to use a cursive capital G in his signature, Yo cursive capital Gs are bullshit! Look NOTHING like the printed letter. I've been trying to force myself to move to the Thomas Jefferson method. He always printed any capital letters then the rest of the word was cursive. Looks pretty good.

That sounds neat, but I don't think it was his:
    360px-Thomas_Jefferson's_signature.svg.png

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Also one major thing about cursive is it fucks over left-handed people. We smudge writing so easily and cursive goes from slightly-legible to a big smear.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Wonder if we'll be sent home early tomorrow as well when the coffeemaker catches on fire next.

Seriously who the hell thought lowest bidder was a good idea for electrical work?

The government?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Back in grade school, right after I was taught cursive I was told by my teachers that my handwriting was so horrible that I could only print from then on. I basically never used cursive again. However I had to reteach myself when I was doing 1800's reenacting since writing with a quill or steel nib pen required it to get the most out of each dip of the pen.

Also as someone who has to use a cursive capital G in his signature, Yo cursive capital Gs are bullshit! Look NOTHING like the printed letter.

I hate cursive in general and was glad when I reached a point in school where it wasn't required anymore. My handwriting is terrible enough without adding all that complexity.
    I did kind of love writing Q's. The way you double-bounce off the line. It was fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

Hi! Hello? Yes. I'm here from the government....

The government?

Pretty much.

Just got a text from someone in contact with supervisor to wear comfortable clothes because we have two hours to clear the warehouse. This'll be a fun day.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Accidentally left my headphones at home in today and I am dying without a podcast or music or SOMETHING.

May have to go grab them at lunch.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Another week, another game of Guess What Websites The Web Filter Thinks Are Subversive. This week's contestants are Imgur, Reddit, Tumblr, Youtube, Livejournal, and Wikileaks. Two of these sites can still be accessed at work. Can you guess which two?

Hint 1: Wikileaks is the free space on the bingo card.
    Hint 2: All but Wikileaks were readily available last Friday.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Other than my signature, I haven't used cursive since grade school; once I enlisted, my signature went from fairly legible to some sort of palsy-stricken scribble because you have to sign your name and initials to about infinity documents just to start boot camp and you stop caring what it looks like when you haven't slept in two days. When you factor in all the damage my hands have taken from the bar industry and martial arts, my signature looks like someone tried to draw a series of angled loops with the hiccups.

Which is kinda funny if you imagine it happening to Darth Vader.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Spoke too soon, servers came back up about an hour later.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Nowadays I only use cursive for my signature but the calligraphy geek in me is sad that the art is dying out, at least in the U.S.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    My new litmus test is showing people at work the SpaceX drone ship landing.

"Holy shit."
    "WOah holy shit."
    "That's not real is it? Is this a game video?"
    "The space program is such a waste of tax payer dollars." -Never talk to this person again.

Edit: Embed just in case you haven't seen this yet:
    https://youtu.be/sYmQQn_ZSys

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I can write cursive. Sometimes I still do. But the annoying letters like Q and G almost always start off printed and the rest of the word is cursive.

I moved school systems in third grade. Old school taught cursive starting in third.New school taught it end of second grade. So I was behind on it anyways. Had do extra credit work to catch up . Then got to fifth grade and my teachers refurefused to read my handwritten stuff, it was pretty illegible. So I typed everything.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I never got Capital Q's or Y's.... a Q was a fancy number two, and ...I have no idea why the Y looked nothing like the print version.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Robonun wrote: »
    Nowadays I only use cursive for my signature but the calligraphy geek in me is sad that the art is dying out, at least in the U.S.

They could just move it from English class to Art class.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Robonun wrote: »

They could just move it from English class to Art class.

I hated cursive in English class but I think I would be okay with it in Art class.

Weird.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Hell, arts classes are dying out

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

"Holy shit."
    "WOah holy shit."
    "The space program is such a waste of tax payer dollars." -Never talk to this person again.

Holy shit those people are real?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    It's pretty rare in my area, but yeah there's quite a few folks who still think NASA money should be used on more useful things like, I don't know, Eagles Stadium or some shit.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Joined up writing is clearly a bigger deal than I thought

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The server room is right off my library and the door is immediately next to my office. There are some guys from the security company running wires and computer stuff for security cameras in the school. Whatever they are doing, every 30 seconds there is a loud BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

I might cause harm to something.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Can't you tell them to shush? It is a library after all.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Can't you tell them to shush? It is a library after all.

They are really full of themselves, demanding IT guys. I'm sure that would go over well.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I really don't want to get my hopes up, but there's a non-zero chance I might actually get a promotion at work, and it is killing any other thought I have in my head. I mean, where I work is unionized so it's a matter of seniority, but like I said, it's a non-zero chance and the job itself is seemingly pretty good.

edit: I'm also not going to find out if I get it for a few months, so there's that as well.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Elbasunu wrote: »

"Holy shit."
    "WOah holy shit."

Holy shit those people are real?

Yeah, they are. They also refuse to listen to any cogent explanation of how research funding is actually a good thing and led to the creation of most of the modern conveniences they take for granted.

This discussion has been closed.