As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In this thread, we get our [Groove] on.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There are regularly lines around the block at all the record stores in my area, yeah

That's part of why I was asking - I'm unlikely to want to wait in a line like that just for a chance to buy a limited edition record, especially 'cause I didn't see anything listed that I particularly cared about getting

I'll see if my local places have any additional promotions, but I doubt they'll make that line worth it

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    This year's list is pretty weak, in my opinion. Skip it homie

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Only thing I've seen that I'd want is there's a Radical Face vinyl box-set of the whole Family Tree collection, and while I'm not a big vinyl guy, that's the perfect series of music to listen to in that format.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    This year's list is pretty weak, in my opinion. Skip it homie

Last year I got a copy of Take On Me with scenes from the music video printed on both sides. Worth it.

This year? Ehhhh. The few bands that are interesting to me are from folks I should probably support by buying their full albums instead. I guess the John Wick soundtrack was pretty good?

I'm thinking I'm probably going to save my money and sit this one out.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I want to see Counting Crows

But I already saw Cracker and I'm going to see them again in a month

and then Violent Femmes

My concert funds are tapped out!

Gotta save for shirts and posters!

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I am trembling with anticipation for the m83 concert. gonna be great

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Was there RHCP talk I missed? God I'd love to see them so much, By The Way came out when I was 13 and I still love them. My friend's brother gave me one of their tour shirts which on tiny pre-teen me was a ballgown, I'm sure its still somewhere about.

Anyhoo have some of the rubbish I love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N1Wip3tEs8

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    wait, the John Wick soundtrack for RSD? .... i don't even have a turntable right now. the licensed songs, hmm.
    thank you, youtube playlist, i would probably enjoy this release, but... RSD madness...
    Think / LED Spirals / Red Circle is a good cue, but i wish the former was a full song.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    RSD is like "hey guys capitalism." support your favorite record stores the other 364 days of the year imo

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Listening to the new PJ Harvey. I like it. Also checked out the new Andrew Bird, but it didn't make much of an impression. I'll give it a few more listens though because I generally like his stuff a lot.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    I wanna listen to the new pj harvey immediately but she's the caliber of musician where i have to do it right and have a whole free day to do nothing but listen to it

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Survived RSD. Picked up Soul Asylum, Alanis Morisette and Rich Robinson. Unfortunately now I'm in my kid's bowling league for the entire day and can't even open them. It was a small crowd and actually really fun and sociable, but I hear the Portland (ME) shops were super busy.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Have I posted Boris Brejcha in this thread? Don't believe I have

@pooka I think you might like this, slightly heavier than you usually post maybe but still a great minimalist techno beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSZOiq7-3mE

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Fine suffer with the song I love the hear
    Annette louisan Das Liebeslied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JEtxK7_3Dw

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    i haven't actually heard too much doomtree stuff but I've got a solo album from paper tiger that I like a bunch

https://youtu.be/xe0wUph7heA

whoops meant to post that in the hiphop thread

i also got introduced to julien baker's music last night

https://youtu.be/tADWPTqR_4A

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    We went.

Lots of stuff has new, higher, pricetags. Compared to the same albums I looked at last weekend.

Still picked up a blue Josh Ritter, Sermon on the Rocks.

It's just that damn good.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I've been listening to the new Otep album almost nonstop since I got it early a few days ago (it only released yesterday) and fuck me it's so, so good. I just love everything about it

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I went to RSD after work. The only exclusives I got were The GO! Team and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I picked up a bunch of other things, but put them back. There wasn't a whole lot left.

I also raided the used vinyl and picked up some Devo, Robert Palmer and Bryan Ferry for <$10.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Picked up waxahatchee's cerulean salt just cause at RSD

place was pretty packed!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Axl Rose is taking over lead vocals for the remainder of AC/DC's tour after Brian Johnson had to stop touring due to hearing loss.

That seems really weird.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm drawing at total blank right now and it's driving me mad because I think i should know this, I just can't remember right now:
    What's that visualisation of an audiotrack called that looks like a symmetric graph over and under the x-axis?

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Axl Rose is taking over lead vocals for the remainder of AC/DC's tour after Brian Johnson had to stop touring due to hearing loss.

That seems really weird.

I don't know what AC/DC's reputation is like for starting concerts on time, if at all, but I can't help but feel sorry for the fans still to attend shows.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I'm drawing at total blank right now and it's driving me mad because I think i should know this, I just can't remember right now:
    What's that visualisation of an audiotrack called that looks like a symmetric graph over and under the x-axis?

An oscilloscope trace?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    now axl can ruin a whole different band!

huzzah.
    fuck axl rose.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    now axl can ruin a whole different band!

huzzah.
    fuck axl rose.

I've never liked Axl Rose's voice.

It seems like he is over-signing if that makes sense, like Steven Tyler almost.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    See, I'm the flip side of this - I still like Axl's voice. I know he isn't quite where he used to be vocally - but those rose colored glasses of nostalgia kick in and I'm super forgiving. I'm not a fan of AC/DC. I don't dislike them, I'm just sort of indifferent to them.

I don't want the GnR reunion stuff getting ruined by something going wrong with Axl screwing up his voice or getting angry and quitting again while on this side job. All I ask is that I get one concert Bluray with Axl and Slash together, then it can fall apart.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    steven tyler can pull it off though

i believe i most recently described axl rose's "singing voice" (and i use that term only in the loosest possible sense) as "miserable caterwauling."

i stand by this statement.

he is, essentially, the antithesis of what a good frontman should be. he is selfish, unprofessional, untalented, and unlikable. how he saw even a modicum of success is far beyond me.

• Options
    Steven Tyler can pull it off for sure, he still sometimes overdoes it I think.

Really their is only one song from either band I actually like.

Dream on by Aerosmith.

and Paradise City by GnR.

Also I don't really care much for AC/DC either honestly, actually I kinda am getting real tired of the local station playing them 80 times a day.

• Options
  • Options
    yeah, the thing about AC/DC is that their best stuff never gets radio play, probably because it's all their really old Bon Scott stuff, like Big Balls and whatnot.

the Brian Johnson era has some good stuff too, but all the radio ever seems to play is friggin Shook Me All Night and Back in Black

where's Hell's Bells? where's Shoot to Thrill!?

• Options
    Classic radio is quite popular here and plays some of the stuff you mentioned but I think they only play it late nights

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I dislike AC/DC's music, but I admire their attitude.

Like, an interviewer asked them how they felt about their critics. Namely, the people that accuse them of making the same record over and over.

Their response was basically, "Fuck yeah we do. And we're millionaires. If you could do the same thing over and over again and be a millionaire, you'd do it too."

It's so flagrantly mercenary that it's adorable.

• Options
    I dislike AC/DC's music, but I admire their attitude.

Like, an interviewer asked them how they felt about their critics. Namely, the people that accuse them of making the same record over and over.

Their response was basically, "Fuck yeah we do. And we're millionaires. If you could do the same thing over and over again and be a millionaire, you'd do it too."

It's so flagrantly mercenary that it's adorable.

This is basically the same reason I like Gene Simmons/Kiss. Besides their music being okay.

He's fucking shameless.

• Options

no but seriously i'm obsessed w/ this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXZG6-3BaKY

my god, those vocals at the end

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Not a RSD thing but while walking home someone was setting up for a garage sale and asked if I would take a look
    They had a ton of cd's and tapes from 1986 I got two of what they had of the same group since it was a $1 but still it was odd their entire music collection on display was of one year

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Goodness gravy, the new Sturgill Simpson record is fucking great

Metamodern Sounds in Country Music was a truly great country record, serving as a tour of different outlaw country styles, unified by his killer voice. I would've been totally content for him to do that again.

Instead, he's expanded out and up and thrown a shitload of new stuff at the wall, and I'll be damned if it don't all stick. He's still got That Voice, but now he's infusing his songs with funk, or doo-wop, or soul. There's a song on here that could've been in friggin' Blues Brothers and nobody would bat an eye. Gosh, but I love an adventurous artist. What a fun, unexpected record.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    There are

Too many new albums by people I'm interested in that just dropped.

Good thing my current state of mind is "stay inside and hide."

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I'm quite addicted to this specific track, lately:
    https://youtu.be/lBD07y3qC90

forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Suffer for I have remembered a music known as Freestyle in a fit of bordem
    Also it's weird I made fun of how many songs I can use by Missing Persons at work as an insult to my idiotic managers and most of the ones of the album I got a few months ago have played even words
    Spoilered for sexual imagery

Brainleech on