As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Ought To Be Watching [Movies]

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    if it was just the major that was Caucasian idk if I'd have a problem with it, hell they could have most of the cast both be Japanese and appear to be a variety of ethnicities because that's not their original bodies

but for some reason I have the sneaking suspicion that they aren't much thought or care into it

They really should tweak the movie a bit, change all the names, and rename the title so it's no longer a GiTS adaption, but a generic cyberpunk movie. It's not like the GiTS name was going to bring them much business by itself, it's not Star Wars in America.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Maybe they could make it a male lead and rename it "Deus Ex"

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    This is the character she's playing, correct?

9171cfbba2b531d557e27ade224fba76.jpg

It might take place in japan but to most American audiences ScarJo will be fine.

Look, you're basically saying "the character doesn't look Japanese to me so what's the problem"

Do I need to start posting screenshots from different anime of explicitly Japanese characters to show you how dumb that argument is? I hope not!

NO, but please post a screenshot from THE MOVIE WE ARE DISCUSSING that look Japanese and we can talk ;)

Whitewashing is a problem. In my eyes, this character already looks white.

Again, if they could not get a big name to play the lead the movie would not get made.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Even if there wasn't something inherently wrong with that sort of thing, it'd still be greatly insulting from a diversity perspective--hiring white actors to play even non-white roles in an industry that struggles to provide enough roles for non-white actors to begin with.

To those dissenting with this statement, how many successful stories outside of Hamilton are there of a non-Caucasian actor portraying the role of a Caucasian character in the West?

Depends on how you define success.

Michael Clarke Duncan in Daredevil is the first one that comes to mind (Well, second, but we've already had the Heimdall argument).

The Dark Tower will be a good test of that. Idris is pretty much the perfect living actor to play the roll of Roland and his skin color has little to do with the story except for a plot point that I don't think would have made the movie anyway.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Let me try to say this a little less hot-headedly:

One of the wonderful things about animation is how it frees us from the constraints of reality. As an animator, one is not limited to representing what actually exists in front of a camera. An animator can make a character's appearance far more distinctive in animation than could ever be achieved in real life, for in animation one has literal control over every single detail. In his animated world, Mickey Mouse is a mouse, and you cannot deny this, regardless of how little he conforms to reality's depiction of what a mouse is.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Even if there wasn't something inherently wrong with that sort of thing, it'd still be greatly insulting from a diversity perspective--hiring white actors to play even non-white roles in an industry that struggles to provide enough roles for non-white actors to begin with.

To those dissenting with this statement, how many successful stories outside of Hamilton are there of a non-Caucasian actor portraying the role of a Caucasian character in the West?

Depends on how you define success.

Michael Clarke Duncan in Daredevil is the first one that comes to mind (Well, second, but we've already had the Heimdall argument).

I don't consider either the Daredevil movie or a bit part in Thor to be success stories. Do you? MCD is a treasure and I miss him, but Daredevil was a flop. And holding up a bit part as a success story just drives my point home. The minority actor just gets a token part.

• Options
    edited April 2016

It might take place in japan but to most American audiences ScarJo will be fine.

Look, you're basically saying "the character doesn't look Japanese to me so what's the problem"

Do I need to start posting screenshots from different anime of explicitly Japanese characters to show you how dumb that argument is? I hope not!

NO, but please post a screenshot from THE MOVIE WE ARE DISCUSSING that look Japanese and we can talk ;)

Primus' argument was that how the characters are drawn are not intended to be white since it's how every character is drawn in that media. That's why it deflates your statement about GiTS characters, like the Major, being white. That also ignores the fact if the Major was white it would be noticed by a lot of characters and come up with discussion. That's why you'd know it, Japan/Asian culture don't ignore stuff like that as much as we do since they're not cultural melting pots like America is. The recent Miss Japan in Miss Universe caused a huge uproar in Japan because she was half-Japanese.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32957610
    Again, if they could not get a big name to play the lead the movie would not get made.

They weren't far off when they had Margot Robbie, and Hollywood doesn't need a listers for movies leads like this. Which I've been saying for the last few pages. Bigger films than this have gotten less obscure lead actors - like Sam Worthington in Avatar.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Hello, privilege and cultural bias.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

EPKTzo.gif

• Options

Really? We are going there now?

I'm sorry if I don't think this is a big deal in this case.

• Options
    edited April 2016

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/cache/91/71/9171cfbba2b531d557e27ade224fba76.jpg

Ah, so now you're literally saying "because the character looks white to me, there's no problem."

I direct to this post I made before I saw this reply of yours:

One of the wonderful things about animation is how it frees us from the constraints of reality. As an animator, one is not limited to representing what actually exists in front of a camera. An animator can make a character's appearance far more distinctive in animation than could ever be achieved in real life, for in animation one has literal control over every single detail. In his animated world, Mickey Mouse is a mouse, and you cannot deny this, regardless of how little he conforms to reality's depiction of what a mouse is.

In other words, the context of the work is key and if you are going to willfully ignore it when passing judgement on it, don't be surprised when your judgement is summarily dismissed as facile.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options

Ah, so now you're literally saying "because the character looks white to me, there's no problem."

Man, I really will never go see Doctor Strange.

Having Tilda Swinton playing an Asian man is about the same, no?

Where's the outrage?

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Anime characters hardly ever "look" Japanese to me.

But they all live in Japan and speak Japanese so I just kind of assume.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

I mean, I could list off a lot of examples in Theater (Brian Stokes Mitchell's revival of Kiss Me Kate, Lea Salonga as Eponine in Les Miz, Audra McDonald playing one of the nuns in the recent TV version of "Sound of Music", etc.), but I feel like comparing casting in Theater as opposed to Movies is comparing apples and oranges. Theater nowadays is more lax in terms of ethnicity for casting, and the scope of theater is different than the mass-market appeal of movies.

Theater still has these casting problems (Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote In the Heights because of lack of Latino roles in musicals back in 2009), don't get me wrong. But being talented (you gotta have the PIPES!) is way more important than matching the ethnicity of the role unless the play/musical specifically calls out race or ethnicity (set during the Civil Rights movement, a play about slavery, the Asian roles in Miss Saigon, etc.). Maybe it's a similar effect (we cast superstars in musicals to sell tickets), it just so happens that the superstar pool in the musical community is more ethnically diverse.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Where's the outrage?

Please, continue to ignore the context of these works when making your hasty judgements.

The Ancient One, as a character, is not heavily tied to their gender or ethnicity. They are the Sorcerer Supreme who tutored Stephan Strange in the mystic arts. It is established the there have been many Sorcerer Supremes of varying ethnicity, gender, and species (vintage Guardian of the Galaxy reference there, nerds) and so there is established room for wide interpretations.

Major Kusanagi, the main character of Ghost in the Shell, as stated before, is explicitly a Japanese national working for the Japanese government in Japan, and the live-action film has decided to keep the the film in Japan and the character Japanese, but casts a white woman in the part.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Where's the outrage?

Some people did complain. Same complaint, white-washing.

Not gonna stop me from seeing it. Nor will it make me want to see GitS regardless of who they cast unless it's well reviewed or something. I'm expecting suckiness though.

• Options

Absolutely. You've literally stated "In my eyes, this character already looks white." That is coming entirely from your position of cultural bias. You see a somewhat generic character and imprint your American cultural view onto that character.

It's important to acknowledge, because the casting director in Hollywood is (probably) doing the same thing. And it drives white washing. You can't overcome cultural/racial baises if you ignore them.

You're not a bad person for taking this view, but the overall effect to society is negative. It leads to disparity along racial lines.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So anyone else watch the Russel Crowe is not as big of an asshole as Ryan Gosling videos that WB put out for the Nice Guys?

https://youtu.be/eHEocn4uem4

https://youtu.be/gB53t98RVMg

https://youtu.be/5bknEIwGg_s

https://youtu.be/LNdTxx1o3_g

This is quality advertising. Basically play off that Russel Crowe is thought of as a turd and Gosling is not and flip expectation. I can only imagine this had to have been Shane Blacks idea.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    um... did they just do a Scientology plug?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Where's the outrage?

I mean, it exists and is currently being discussed?

That's real shitty too. I've read a few articles about it, I've discussed my own disappointment at the fact that Strange was a chance to get a non-white-male hero onto the main stage for Marvel because (as much as I legit love Strange thanks to some indelibly wonderful runs of the book) he's basically a nonentity in the minds of the public.

He's also got, like Iron Fist, a kind of racist old colonial origin story. That could have been dealt with in dozens of ways that would have been interesting. Instead, they went with the stock origin story minus Wong and got the raw star power of Tilda Swinton on board to make sure there wasn't an Asian actor on screen at any point.

Also for flips god dang sake are we for real looking toward anime and saying well they basically are white because hey look at how they're drawn? That is some layers of gross.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    These offbeat marketing videos for Deadpool and now The Nice Guys are a really welcome antidote from the typical barrage of trailers that show the entire plot.

• Options
    Also for flips god dang sake are we for real looking toward anime and saying well they basically are white because hey look at how they're drawn?
    please post a screenshot from THE MOVIE WE ARE DISCUSSING that look Japanese and we can talk ;)

Yup.
    That is some layers of gross.

Yup!

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Nah that's not an e meter. It looks kind of like one with the cans, but its not.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I just noticed in the screen caps they changed all the posters and such on the walls each time, that's a hilarious set designer thing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Nah that's not an e meter. It looks kind of like one with the cans, but its not.

Well it sure as hell doesn't look like any official stress testing machine i've ever seen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z32BUEaoAgE

• Options
    Are you telling me their fake therapist is not properly providing therapy? Bullshit man!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    Anime characters hardly ever "look" Japanese to me.

But they all live in a Japan and speak Japanese so I just kind of assume.

Absolutely. You've literally stated "In my eyes, this character already looks white." That is coming entirely from your position of cultural bias. You see a somewhat generic character and imprint your American cultural view onto that character.

It's important to acknowledge, because the casting director in Hollywood is (probably) doing the same thing. And it drives white washing. You can't overcome cultural/racial baises if you ignore them.

You're not a bad person for taking this view, but the overall effect to society is negative. It leads to disparity along racial lines.

A: I'm not American but thanks for assuming so?

B: I have stated I don't watch anime. I have never seen an episode of dragonball and assumed Goku was white. Why? Because he's lighter skinned then I am. I'm not a fan of the genre. I see Tilda Swinton replacing a clearly Asian character being a worse case of whitewashing then ScarJo playing a character, that in my eyes, looks white.

I'm not going to keep debating Gits casting choices as I will probably not see it unless the reviews say it's something special. There are just worse cases Imo.

• Options

Where's the outrage?

Please, continue to ignore the context of these works when making your hasty judgements.

The Ancient One, as a character, is not heavily tied to their gender or ethnicity. They are the Sorcerer Supreme who tutored Stephan Strange in the mystic arts. It is established the there have been many Sorcerer Supremes of varying ethnicity, gender, and species (vintage Guardian of the Galaxy reference there, nerds) and so there is established room for wide interpretations.

Actually, as far as I know the Ancient One who taught Strange magic has always been Asian. The rank itself is another story, but the ones in the past aren't the ones doing the teaching. The Sorcerer Supreme is identical to that, but the main one Marvel uses is Stephen. Plus the Ancient One's location is meant to be tied to Tibet.

• Options
    A: I have cultural biases too!

B: White washing is happening all over. GITS is just a current example.

• Options

Where's the outrage?

There's been plenty, as well as the casting of Iron Fist.

• Options

Where's the outrage?

Iron Fist is a tough one. The original character is white and has that whole white Savior bit going.

Casting an Asian guy would have its own issues. Does Kung fu = Asian? That's kind of gross in its own way.

That was a lose - lose situation. Hopefully they work Shang-chi into the story.

• Options

Where's the outrage?

Iron Fist is a tough one. The original character is white and has that whole white Savior bit going.

Casting an Asian guy would have its own issues. Does Kung fu = Asian? That's kind of gross in its own way.

That was a lose - lose situation. Hopefully they work Shang-chi into the story.

Yeah, and they defaulted to the white actor as usual. It's true that they were going to have a tough time with this, though their options weren't limited to Asian and white. That said, it does highlight Marvel's problematic issue with Asian casting. Shang Chi being there wouldn't change anything, he still wouldn't be a lead.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Are you telling me their fake therapist is not properly providing therapy? Bullshit man!

No, im saying that their fake therapist isnt a fake therapist at all and is in fact a fake Scientology recruiter!

DanHibiki on
  • Options

No, im saying that their fake therapist isnt a fake therapist at all and is in fact a fake Scientology recruiter!

OH SHIIIIIII

I'm sure she's got some tech that would make Russel Crowe less of an asshole.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Especially because the first picture would be mokoto. as she is a Japanese national working for the Japanese government with a cyborg body being one of the more popular in Japan representing traditional Japanese beauty. In a production written in Japanese for a Japanese audience and originally produced in Japan. Mokoto is one of the most explicitly Japanese characters in any anime.

Re; heimdall. He is an alien his skin color does not matter. There is no cultural assosication there.

Re: daredevil. The nationality of the characters don't much matter in those instances. It does in GiTS. Indeed "nationality" in anything explicitly "American" doesn't much matter because of the whole "melting pot" thing being a core "Americanness"

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Re: daredevil. The nationality of the characters don't much matter in those instances. It does in GiTS. Indeed "nationality" in anything explicitly "American" doesn't much matter because of the whole "melting pot" thing being a core "Americanness"

If it isn't a concern then why do they continue casting white people in roles like that? Nationality is a concern considering it's another example of a mighty whitey type trope along with Iron Fist, it's not like they're in France. Plus it gives another role to an Asian actor Marvel desperately needs, and it would be faithful to the character. After all, that was a reason they went with a white actor for Strange and Rand, right?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Re; heimdall. He is an alien his skin color does not matter. There is no cultural assosication there.
    If religious myths don't count as culture, nothing does.

In story the relation between the two flips, but that relation is still there.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

If it isn't a concern then why do they continue casting white people in roles like that? Nationality is a concern considering it's another example of a mighty whitey type trope along with Iron Fist, it's not like they're in France. Plus it gives another role to an Asian actor Marvel desperately needs, and it would be faithful to the character. After all, that was a reason they went with a white actor for Strange and Rand, right?

Huh? Michael Clark Duncan is black and was cast for Kingpin. Kingpin being white doesn't matter. His nationality is "New Yorker". Should i have instead made a "punching up" argument? That also applies i think.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The unsolvable problem of the Iron Fist still exists, though. As in, there's no reason for him to be an asian character either, except that it's stereotypical of asians to be into kung-fu, which is still racist casting.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Whether anime characters look Japanese is really, really beside the point. The point is that there are tens of millions of asian americans and yet very little asian representation in cinema. That when you cast a white person to play a Japanese character named Motoko Kusanagi you are sending a message that asian actors aren't good enough to be hollywood stars. That making up a white actor to look asian brings to mind an uncomfortable history of white people doing racist yellow face caricatures. That this isn't something that should be viewed in isolation but in the wider context of Hollywood's and America's racism.

This discussion has been closed.