As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Webcomics] Thread: Welcome back Gundi

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    ffs, I'm not saying everything needs to be grim and horrible

I'm saying "hey, maybe right now isn't the best time for humor involving police in america"

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    I do not care for the "white people have wacky encounters with the police" comic

tvmdznle.jpg

it strikes me as exceptionally tasteless to make such a thing while there is a national movement protesting police killings of unarmed black people
    Then we should probably cancel everything that isn't about tragedy and suffering because there are always bad things happening.

missing the point

no, you're missing the point

the point isn't ignore the black lives matter movement because of this mediocre comic about silly things. the point is enjoy this comic about the dumb things the some police officers see some of the time.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

I'm saying "hey, maybe right now isn't the best time for humor involving police in america"

By this logic there has never been a good time for humor involving police in america.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

That means its the best time for humor involving police in America.

HIuGYzi.png

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    The police comic is in black and white

I kind of assumed not everyone in the comic is white but who knows

you can tell they're white because they aren't left bleeding in the street at the end of the comic

You find it obscene, others find it funny, others don't care and scroll past.

The end.

oh fuck off

I'll talk about whatever the fuck I want talk about

• Options

you can tell they're white because they aren't left bleeding in the street at the end of the comic

The end.

oh fuck off

Excellent! I'm glad we agree.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    My gut reaction is that it's disconcerting when police action is a punchline.
    "the police recorded this funny thing happening" comics go over better.

I welcome folk to post the comic, but I also welcome the discussion on what that comic makes people think and feel regarding it.

I'm not surprised different folk can come away with "hah people sure do stupid stuff",
    and "this is extremely uncomfortable".

I think part of the equation is the level of empathy for members of authority,
    and the level of empathy for people making anti authority decisions.

Also the overall narrative has been, "Police are helpful dudes doing their job around all the crazy, and sometimes positive and amazing characters of humanity."
    I absolutely feel that's a real side of the coin, but your experiences and observations with it's other side, is going to shape your perspective of that narrative.

There is a reaction of seeing the systematic violence and bullying by police departments, and
    following that by internally dismissing the the humanity of police officers.

I think that's a trap folk have to strive to avoid, and comics like this can help.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Kana wrote: »
    I do not care for the "white people have wacky encounters with the police" comic

tvmdznle.jpg

it strikes me as exceptionally tasteless to make such a thing while there is a national movement protesting police killings of unarmed black people

So as long as something bad is happening with the police we must treat all police everywhere, all the time as faceless grim automotons of racial suppression, and ignore any real life evidence to the contrary for fear of losing ideological purity.

Yes, this is definitely a sane way to approach the world.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    that image is evidently the result of a series of pranks between the police and fire departments

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    The fact that a man visited my church for the first time and was shot by the police in a traffic stop gone sour that broke several of the potted plants at the plaza I visited frequently (thereby leaving large physical artifacts and reminding me constantly of that event)

Is balanced out by the Asian American police rookie who was t-boned and instantly killed about 12 blocks south of that shooting by a woman high on drugs that sped through a red light.

The young man that died in a coma after a police officer chased him through Belltown because someone mistakenly identified him as a thief, resulting in the officer giving chase and smashing an innocent man's head against a concrete wall....

that too is balanced out by the police woman, a veteran of the police force, pulling out of her driveway and also being instantly killed by a car thief who was fleeing her fellow officer and was also instantly killed.

The world is violent and bloody and we are not guaranteed the quick, clean death surrounded by loved ones my father had. We are not promised a corpse to bury as my father left me.

We have to deal with fire breathers in Capital hill, vigilante bike riders in Beacon hill, and ferry Ferris wheel operators holding people hostage inside the ride because they appeared to have an orgy.

Laugh.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    mNhjZ6Uh.gif
    The first video of El Jefe was released in February. I missed that news, but now we know.
    Dv6G6dYh.gif
    If for some rational reason you haven't been reading Rex Morgan, let me remind you that Sarah is SIX YEARS OLD and the smuggest little shit you will ever meet.
    CYNryIw.gif
    But yeah, I'm sure they're selling $100K of her art, and this is definitely not some sort of convoluted money laundering scheme.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Demon is done:
    2016-04-24demon720.gif
    Thank You!!!!!

That’s all folks! Hard to believe it was just over 2 years ago that we started our journey together. But here we are at the end. I guess I knew going in that 720 pages would be a push but I really had no idea. Too many times, I wanted to call it quits and run away screaming. I probably would have too if it weren’t for the continual encouragement from my friends, family and most of all YOOOUUUU. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I couldn’t have done it without you guys. Right now I feel Demon’s got the most supportive, smartest audience on the entire internet. You taught me to never underestimate my readers’ intelligence and gave me the courage to reach for some of the nervyest ideas of my career.

Everyone told me it was insane to spend half a decade of my life on this project only to give it away online for free when I could just go with a traditional publisher. The analogy I always hear is that I wouldn’t go volunteer to work at Wallmart for five years for free. But I guess I don’t see it that way. The webcomics and blogs I’ve read have given me so much I feel it’s the least I could do to give a little something back. Thanks to YOU, my readers building a fan base for me, tweeting, promoting the comic and even generously giving direct financial support, it’s worked out for me beyond my expectations. But even more importantly, I’m hoping Demon will be seen as a worthy addition to the great heap of pop culture, to be enjoyed for generations and maybe even inspire someone else to make their own comic one day.

More on that in a sec. But first some business. If you’re wondering what will happen to this website, I’m planning to leave the entirety of Demon up for a couple more months. When the collected volumes start to come out from First Second, I’m removing everything but the first chapter. So if you want to read the webcomic one last time, do it before July. After that it’s gone, but only in webcomic form. If you want a permanent way to relive some highlights of Demon such as Jimmy being born or Sweetpea kidnapping a boy band and forcing them to perform at gunpoint, I have exciting news for you. You can now preorder Demon on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Demon-1-Jason-Shiga/dp/1626724520)!!! I’ve been working on this book for a year and it’s a gorgeous 2-color printing. We set out to try and replicate the aesthetic of old 2 tone manga from the 30’s and it’s succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. As for shigabooks.com, I’m planning to keep the blog section of this site going. Even though there won’t be new pages of Demon, feel free to come back here for news about future projects, behind the scenes trivia about the making of Demon, cartooning advice and when I might be coming to a city near you!

Looking back on all of it now, I can say that Demon has been the most rewarding experience of my career. When I started, I knew almost nothing about webcomics or crowdfunding. As my wife can attest, my business sense was below nonexistent. It still is. But nowadays I feel like I’ve discovered the secret elixir to the universe. I want to shout the recipe from the rooftops and tell every creator I know that for about $5 in raw materials, some very rudimentary drawing skills and a solid idea or two, they can start to earn a living from their work too. To that end, I’m planning to write up a 2 or 3 part blog post on everything I learned about making webcomics so stick around.

Right now, I just want to thank everyone here once more. Demon has been the journey of a lifetime and I couldn’t have done it without you!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Oh thank god.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Dear Shiga's friends and family:

What did we do to deserve this?

Sincerely,
    ASimPerson

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Looking back, I think my favorite comment on Demon hereabouts may be this one, from about a year ago (and it still applies right to the very end):
    I skim past Demon because the characters postures make my neck and shoulders ache just lookin' at them

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    idon'tlikething.jpg

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    With simple line art and off-label usage of semen, you too can be a webcomics success story

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    now that i think about it that comic probably summarizes every webcomic thread for all time

if you want to imagine the future, imagine a handwritten response saying "ok" to your opinion forever

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    tvmdznle.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I miss when One Punch Man was about one punch man

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I thought Demon was pretty good

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I'm really surprised he didn't go ahead and show us every good person on the planet dying at once. Seems like it'd be the Demon way to end.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Gonna be honest, I really liked Demon at the beginning

I guess I've got three months left before he takes it down to try and pinpoint where exactly the entire thing just went to shit, and given two separate cum-related plot twists I might need all of those three months.

And if that's honest to god the final panel of the comic, than I am comfortable with my overall assessment bring this:

Demon is a comic that spent two years trying to be a comic on the level of Death Note and spent about nineteen months of it failing utterly to do so.

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    The very beginning of demon was cool cuz there was an actual mystery type deal to solve. Then it was solved and the comic descended into murderwank and derpitude for the remainder of its duration.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    There were several "Oh hey he's finally figured it out" moments where I actually thought that hey, Demon's finally made a turn-around and figured out what it's good at.

And every time it would quickly become obvious that while Demon was sometimes clever, it was always by accident.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    what i'm hearing is that i only have a couple months in which to complete my archive post of demon

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    In terms of comics where the protag fucks a camel, its top 5 easy

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    160421a.jpg
    Huh, I think its an improvement over the last one.

I also dig the eyes in the background.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You taught me to never underestimate my readers’ intelligence and gave me the courage to reach for some of the nervyest ideas of my career.

I’m hoping Demon will be seen as a worthy addition to the great heap of pop culture, to be enjoyed for generations...

When I started, I knew almost nothing about webcomics...As my wife can attest...But nowadays I feel like I’ve discovered the secret elixir to the universe. I want to shout the recipe from the rooftops and tell every creator I know...To that end, I’m planning to write up a 2 or 3 part blog post on everything I learned about making webcomics so stick around.

I couldn’t have done it without you!

-_-

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    I miss when One Punch Man was about one punch man

Just you wait. It's going to be about him with a vengeance, very very soon.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    MirroMirro Registered User regular

Demon is done:
    2016-04-24demon720.gif

And all I can think is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6VjPM5CeWs

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    tvmdznle.jpg

It truly is the .gif that keeps on giving.
    Yes, I know it's not really a .gif file. Let me have this!

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Narbonic - Dr. Narbon: March 12 - 17, 2001
    vb7q6o4n4ihm.jpg
    bpydruiiqgii.jpg
    f38qtkwusyd1.jpg
    x96t2b9dwglt.jpg
    4l3sxrj3xi6y.jpg
    c10njf6yj14h.jpg

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

The end.

oh fuck off

And single handedly derail the entire thread because you want to be a goose, because god forbid a comic involve police for the sake of humor and not social commentary.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    technically the thread has completely rerailed in every way

there is not a single rail it is not on

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Re: the end of Demon
    07nqf78cmd72.gif

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    God Bless Demon

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    s9j722gepasl.jpg

I don't remember if it was already posted, or not.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Florida Man is the hero we deserve.
    tumblr_nyylohshl81uitnb0o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nzzwf7IMUS1uitnb0o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nw1779XeOI1uitnb0o1_1280.jpg
    http://floridamanillustrated.tumblr.com/

This discussion has been closed.