As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

International tickets for PAX Prime?

MeanMeMeanMe Registered User new member
Me and a few friends are planning on coming to PAX from half way across the globe, and unless we want to pay out of our noses for the airline tickets, we need to start ordering them now. They offer no refunds.

I'm aware that getting PAX Prime tickets is somewhat unreliable, but I noticed that PAX Aus had international tickets that you could only buy if you cane from abroad. Is there any chance they're going to implement such tickets for PAX Prime this year?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't think so, I think that's an Aus specific thing. I could be wrong though! Try emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com for more info

• Options
    kuledud3kuledud3 Registered User regular
    From what I understand that's only offered for PAX Aus.

General PAX goer. Professional procrastinator. Expert Food Consumption Enthusiast.
  • Options
    vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I noticed the lack of international options too. How about putting a few 3 days aside for internationals. You could always put what doesn't sell by, say a month or 2 out back into the general pool. A bit of encouragement for people willing to pay thousands of dolars to get there isn't too much too ask surely!

• Options
    MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    The problem with doing that for PAX Prime is that you need a simple way to establish who can claim them. Unfortunately, the international border is within a couple of hours drive of Prime, which would put it closer than some people who live in-state. If you add a distance qualifier, you then have to have a system to verify people have traveled far enough to qualify and it becomes fairly complicated very quickly.

• Options
    MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    Wouldn't all those international tickets just get bought up by Canadians?

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Wouldn't all those international tickets just get bought up by Canadians?

Intercontinental maybe?

• Options
    ninnanuamninnanuam Registered User regular
    Yea I'm in the same boat. I would love to go to West or East but I've always been put off even attempting to grab tickets by the short timeframe between the opening of ticket sales and event as it will mean very expensive flights.

Next year, I have long service leave and would like to make an American PAX one of my stops on a big trip I'm planning. But its hard to factor in when i don't know exact dates of the event for next year, or even if i'll be able to get a ticket.

I understand that international tickets are probably a pipe dream but even just a longer period between tickets going on sale and the show would give OS people a chance to try for tickets and if successful, give them time to get good deals on flights etc.

• Options
    skellerskeller San DiegoRegistered User regular
    If you really want to go, the price of tickets to PAX, even if you buy them day of from scalpers, is pretty small compared to the price of an international trip. I think that once dates are known you can safely book air travel and assume you can get badges one way or another.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    skeller wrote: »
    If you really want to go, the price of tickets to PAX, even if you buy them day of from scalpers, is pretty small compared to the price of an international trip. I think that once dates are known you can safely book air travel and assume you can get badges one way or another.

Even flying domestically, the price of tickets is not the majority of my expenditures. Between flight, hotels, and food, the badges are just another item.

• Options
    ninnanuamninnanuam Registered User regular
    skeller wrote: »

I've always a bit iffy on the whole scalping thing.

However I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try my best to go to prime next year. Gonna book a month off around the end of August beginning of September and try my luck

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Washington/Seattle state has no law against scalping at the venue, and PAX has no real measures to prevent it (not are they likely to, for various reasons).

As such, you will pretty much* /always/ be able to get in day of the show, for a price. That price the last couple years has topped out at about $100-$150 a day for Friday-Sunday. Less usually, especially if you're willing to get a late start on some days (even just 1030/1100).

When looking at the cost of international travel and accommodations, the extra $300 or so over the face value (for all four days) shouldn't be make-or-break. In most cases, at least.

* - seen supply get short for a minute once, but still got one

mcdermott on