As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird Video Card issues

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
Hey all,

I've had my Radeon R9 270X for about a year and a half now and all the sudden since last week I've been getting weird crashes. After anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours of playing games my screen goes black, with just a white cursor and I can't do anything, can't bring up the task manager or anything like that. After letting it sit for a few minutes after that Windows reboots and when I log in (using Windows 10) I get the message box "Display driver stopped responding and recovered" but then Windows will say I don't have a graphics card. I have to uninstall the AMD Catalyst software/driver, reboot, then reinstall it and reboot again to get Windows to detect my card again.

Some goolge fu has given me answers ranging from "Your card is borked, RMA it" to "Your not getting enough power and need a bigger power supply or need to use a different cable" to "The card moves when PC is verticle, tie it to the PC" and the ever popular "Its Windows 10. It sucks and AMD doesn't like it"

So I've tried a few things but nothing has worked so far. I was hoping someone here had an idea on what I can try next.

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Try tracking your GPU temperature while playing. It's possible that the card is overheating and you just need to dust it out.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Took your advice, sprayed out the whole case. It was rather dusty, but we'll see. I played 2 hours of overwatch today and peaked at 67 celsius but normally hung around 62-64

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    No advice here for your issue, here's mine though:
    Just upgraded to R9 390 from ATI card, everythings fine (except Fallout 4 shitting itself for some reason with pixelated rainbow textures for some reason), except that anytime the drivers want tp update, they instead just uninstall themselves.
    Which sucks, and forces me to reinstall them everytime i get an update announcement.