As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Grand Unified Thread for [Game of Thrones] (Book spoiler guidelines in OP)

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Re: "healing factor"
    It takes a long time to recover from gut wounds that are presumably potentially lethal, but the Waif had left her for dead. It seems clear to me that Arya was kept in convalescence for weeks or months, cared for by Lady Crane, until the Waif finally learned that Crane was caring for some mysterious injured girl. She wasn't looking for her because he thought she was dead; she just caught some news. It's not like the Waif has a network of spies or anything.

The show necessarily has long stretches of time between scenes and episodes, often weeks or months, but doesn't indicate when this compression occurs. That's an annoying thing, sure, but we have to acknowledge it.
    Her wounds were still open. That was an overnighter.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Underestimating danger and getting themselves almost or actually killed is basically the characteristic of Arya's entire family.

I disagree. The Starks are not portrayed as having totally static, identical personalities. Like, I can't imagine Ned getting himself into a Red Wedding situation, spurning a marriage agreement because some pretty young thing caught his eye for the moment. Arya's whole characterization at the start of the season was this rough and tumble kid, wanting to learn how to fight. That's been refined, she's been put into dangerous situations, she had the Hound as a mentor, she's spent the last year being trained by an assassin death cult.

I can certainly see her upholding Stark ideals of honor, but she's going to go about it in a very different way than anyone else in the family.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It takes a long time to recover from gut wounds that are presumably potentially lethal, but the Waif had left her for dead. It seems clear to me that Arya was kept in convalescence for weeks or months, cared for by Lady Crane, until the Waif finally learned that Crane was caring for some mysterious injured girl. She wasn't looking for her because he thought she was dead; she just caught some news. It's not like the Waif has a network of spies or anything.

The show necessarily has long stretches of time between scenes and episodes, often weeks or months, but doesn't indicate when this compression occurs. That's an annoying thing, sure, but we have to acknowledge it.
    What makes you think her wounds are still open? It seems that she rubbed fruit juice on herself and left traces to fool the Waif.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    On the positive side the preview for next week has me very excited.
    Underestimating danger and getting themselves almost or actually killed is the defining characteristic of Arya's entire family.

I would disagree here. Some small book spoilers (opinion):
    Ned was hemmed in by the duty required of his friend and king and the fact that he was just not built to be where he was placed. Robert killed Ned essentially. Ned knew full well what was going on and had all but won if not for Cersei being an evil murdering Lannister. Cersei being better at the game by being a murderer of a drunkard is hardly Ned underestimating where he was at.

Cat and Rob did not underestimate the danger they were in. What happened to them is probably the highest form of crime that can be done in this world. They had eaten the bread and salt of the Freys. Rob had all but won and beaten not just the Lannisters but had his kingdom. They both looked for eating the bread and made sure to be proper according to the law of the lands.

Sansa's line is all but a shadow of GRRM that I cant really comment. I dont want to go overboard with books so ill just say Sansa at this point is a show creation.

Bran I have no comparison too either. But it wouldnt surprise me if it is a bit different in the books.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Show Arya

I didn't really have any problems with where Aryas arc went, and I'm glad there wasn't any face-off style nonsense. But it was just executed really poorly. It needed to feel like a more even cat and mouse game rather than Arya just getting owned for 2 episodes and then she wins.

It makes me feel almost like theres a B-filming team that did Dorne last season and they're on Bravos this one.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    arya, more of what everyone else is saying really
    loving this season and was fine with this episode but that doesn't mean I have to think arya's behavior made sense

the last 15 seconds of it were great! she got the girl back to her hideout and it looked like a plan. but absolutely none of the rest did and while yes, shit happens in this story and arya doesn't have the same view we have... it felt really silly to me that she'd walk out in daylight (after we'd last seen her hiding in absolute darkness) unarmed and be SHOCKED! that she was found and stabbed.

I wasn't shocked. I doubt you were shocked. arya should have expected it, again based on her own actions the previous week.

bleh. it could have been a FUCKING AWESOME deal. it's the end of one of the cooler plotlines/characters in the show as far as I can tell... and they've just sort of turned them into assassins. creed.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

So they waited weeks or months to give the Many Faced God his due? Why, when Arya was already taken care of you'd think they'd get right on that instead of doing it next month-ish.

This is assuming they somehow missed their dead target walking through the marketplace drawing a thousand stares because she was obviously gut stabbed. That's not network of spies level, that's "occasionally hears huge topic of gossip" level of information gathering.
    I think the scene where she was caught out and the scene where she wanders through the market gutstabbed are both bad, agreed. They undermine the only possible interpretation that would allow her time to heal. (Though I get the impression that in that city, people bleeding out and wandering the market are not a huge topic of gossip and not entirely rare.)

The MFG getting his due is fine, as we've seen any life will do. Arya did not kill Crane, so her life was forfeit instead. We've seen substitutions before.

Or you know (not book)
    They could have made her injuries not look fatal for the sake of a good cliff hanger. Sorry with modern medicine getting stabbed in the gut multiple times complete with a twist is months in the hospital. In their world it's at best a slow painful death.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2016

So they waited weeks or months to give the Many Faced God his due? Why, when Arya was already taken care of you'd think they'd get right on that instead of doing it next month-ish.

This is assuming they somehow missed their dead target walking through the marketplace drawing a thousand stares because she was obviously gut stabbed. That's not network of spies level, that's "occasionally hears huge topic of gossip" level of information gathering.
    I think the scene where she was caught out and the scene where she wanders through the market gutstabbed are both bad, agreed. They undermine the only possible interpretation that would allow her time to heal. (Though I get the impression that in that city, people bleeding out and wandering the market are not a huge topic of gossip and not entirely rare.)

The MFG getting his due is fine, as we've seen any life will do. Arya did not kill Crane, so her life was forfeit instead. We've seen substitutions before.

Or you know (not book)
    They could have made her injuries not look fatal for the sake of a good cliff hanger. Sorry with modern medicine getting stabbed in the gut multiple times complete with a twist is months in the hospital. In their world it's at best a slow painful death.

This would have been the best choice. I think it's clear that this season has a lot of clumsy plotting to hack away at narrative baggage and free it up for quicker movement forward. That's why it feels less like an adaptation of a novel and much more like typical TV show writing, I think. It's not great but it's better than faffing about for three seasons, certainly.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

What makes you think her wounds are still open? It seems that she rubbed fruit juice on herself and left traces to fool the Waif.

Watch the scene again.

• Options

Watch the scene again.

I'm at work so I can't!

• Options

Watch the scene again.

I'm at work so I can't!

It was not fruit. :p

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    I really liked everything with Jamie and Riverrun. They're really diving into his characterization shown in the books, finally. Or at least I hope so.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Bronn should get his own spinoff show after this one is over.

Assuming he survives, of course.

EDIT: Actually, Jerome Flynn would be perfect for a TV/Film adaptation of The Bard's Tale.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So more arya thoughts...
    arya thinks she might go further west of westeros and see where the world ends when she's recovering...

"Arya" says she's arya stark and is going to Winterfell.

Waif as arya declaring that makes sense, real arya could too but it's contradicting what she just said

My theory is the waif is arya and she will go kill Sansa to make up for the fact Jon snow was brought back to life. A debt must be paid.

This seasons red wedding won't be blowing up kings landing but instead will be the reveal that arya is dead by the waif killing Sansa

616610-1.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So more arya thoughts...
    arya thinks she might go further west of westeros and see where the world ends when she's recovering...

Waif as arya declaring that makes sense, real arya could too but it's contradicting what she just said

My theory is the waif is arya and she will go kill Sansa to make up for the fact Jon snow was brought back to life. A debt must be paid.

This seasons red wedding won't be blowing up kings landing but instead will be the reveal that arya is dead by the waif killing Sansa

You are setting yourself up for heartbreak and disappointment.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    No quite the opposite! I don't remotely want that to be the case! If it is then damnit! I if not hurray! I'm preparing myself for heartbreak and disappointment!

616610-1.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    On the positive side the preview for next week has me very excited.
    Underestimating danger and getting themselves almost or actually killed is the defining characteristic of Arya's entire family.

I would disagree here. Some small book spoilers (opinion):
    Ned was hemmed in by the duty required of his friend and king and the fact that he was just not built to be where he was placed. Robert killed Ned essentially. Ned knew full well what was going on and had all but won if not for Cersei being an evil murdering Lannister. Cersei being better at the game by being a murderer of a drunkard is hardly Ned underestimating where he was at.

Cat and Rob did not underestimate the danger they were in. What happened to them is probably the highest form of crime that can be done in this world. They had eaten the bread and salt of the Freys. Rob had all but won and beaten not just the Lannisters but had his kingdom. They both looked for eating the bread and made sure to be proper according to the law of the lands.

Sansa's line is all but a shadow of GRRM that I cant really comment. I dont want to go overboard with books so ill just say Sansa at this point is a show creation.

Bran I have no comparison too either. But it wouldnt surprise me if it is a bit different in the books.

Ned isn't hemmed in by duty, he's hemmed in by his own issues. Ned is a broken man, haunted by the Rebellion that Robert so casually romanticises. To him, the Rebellion is nothing but the death of his entire family, friends dead, killing men he respected and admired and seeing infant heads smashed open against a wall. It's why he's spent all the intervening years hiding up in Winterfell and avoiding politics.

His sense of duty and honour makes him come south at Robert's asking but what gets him killed is his inability to deal with the idea of all that stuff happening again. He can't bring himself to act as he knows he should.

Cersei has no such compunctions and so Ned dies. And, in a bit of dramatic irony, sets off everything he wanted to avoid.

shryke on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Hachface wrote: »
    Waffen wrote: »
    Seriously the idea that Arya was walking around unarmed was laughably dumb.

like half the people in Bravos walk around with rapiers on their belts no one would've cared.

Books explained it.If you walk around armed in Braavos you could be challenged to a duel on the streets. there was a character who had this happen to them and nearly died for openly carrying a sword.

ok well

as far as the show is concerned, if you don't hear or see it, it didn't happen

Arya's time in Braavos has been truncated greatly from the books. We get a lot less background on the city and a lot less time spent on her internship/training. Some of her scenes may have worked better with that extra information, some may not. For my part I enjoyed the conclusion of the scenes but lots of the interim felt like it wasn't as thought out as it could have been.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    So more arya thoughts...

D&D IMO already confirmed this isn't true.
    In the inside the episode for this one, they basically do this dumb song and dance where they talk about how Jaqen had been rooting for Arya to kill the waif because even though he's no one he's still sort of himself and likes Arya, and bla bla bla.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So more arya thoughts...

D&D IMO already confirmed this isn't true.
    In the inside the episode for this one, they basically do this dumb song and dance where they talk about how Jaqen had been rooting for Arya to kill the waif because even though he's no one he's still sort of himself and likes Arya, and bla bla bla.

Yea, I definitely am getting the idea that D&D just Did Not Get It with the whole Faceless Men thing.

Honestly, they seem to be having issues with the religious fanatics in general.

• Options
    SchlagholzerSchlagholzer Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Re: Riverrun
    I think it's been said, but Blackfish going down without an on-screen battle is crap from an ass.

Schlagholzer on
    PSN ID : Schlagholzer
  • Options
    I think it's been said, but Blackfish going down without an on-screen battle is crap from an ass.

I forgot to mention this it is especially troublesome
    Because this is the second time they've fucked up a gay, legendarily badass character. In this season even! At least they didn't completely ruin his character like with Loras.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Re: the Blackfish
    As soon as he showed up last episode I told Megan "oh that guy is a total badass"

And then the next episode he's tricked by Jaime Lannister and killed offscreen like a complete chump

:?

Re: the Brotherhood Without Banners
    I assumed during the hanging scene that we were going to actually get Lady Stoneheart but with Sandor instead of Brienne, which would be weird but whatever

I'm still holding out hope

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So more arya thoughts...

Not possible.
    It's quite clearly the Waif's face on the wall.

So... unless there's some thing where the Waif also removed her own face, then I can't see how this would work.

Also, the show breaks all of these theories down:

"You told her to kill me."

"Yes, but there she is... and here you are."

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Books
    Beric is still alive. This was their chance and they didn't do it. Not happening.

• Options
    So more arya thoughts...

Not possible.

I think the idea is that she cut her own face off and put it on the wall?

Like Faceless Men are literally faceless and that's what it takes to become No One

So she cut off both Arya's and her own faces, put her own up on the wall, and wore Arya

Then through the whole conversation she acted just like Arya Stark and Sexy Jesus approved

Which would be stupid and awful, but would explain why they didn't show the fight between Arya and the Waif, something we were all pretty hyped up to see

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    As soon as he showed up last episode I told Megan "oh that guy is a total badass"

And then the next episode he's tricked by Jaime Lannister and killed offscreen like a complete chump

I assumed during the hanging scene that we were going to actually get Lady Stoneheart but with Sandor instead of Brienne, which would be weird but whatever

To be fair to the Blackfish
    He wasn't tricked by Jamie. His fucking soldiers turned on him for their liegelord Edmure, and he pretty much told them what was going to happen if they let him inside the castle and they did it anyways.

That those soldiers weren't behind the Blackfish after all that time is probably the most baffling part of the scene, actually. Edmure's been nothing but a chump that we've seen.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I forgot to mention this it is especially troublesome
    Because this is the second time they've fucked up a gay, legendarily badass character. In this season even! At least they didn't completely ruin his character like with Loras.

He did get to have that stupid conversation but lots of folks have had conversations that you'd never actually have but for Drama!
    Not sure how you get the whole "Ignore the Feudal Order of Lordship because I, the current person in charge of you in such order, says so!" thing. Like have him bitch about how he's trapped by the system and otherwise acknowledge he understands it's a trick but it's a trick he can't really directly contest. Saying "Fuck my lord!" is a bit much.

Also was a bit disappointed when the guards appeared sad that they were all going to NOT spend a year starving and maybe being violently killed for a big stone house that wasn't even theirs.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Also, this exchange had me in stitches:
    "Where's the other one... the one with the yellow cloak?"

"....FUCK YOU..."

"Those are your last words? "Fuck you"? C'mon, you can do better."

*thinks*

"....CUUUNT..."

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

He wasn't tricked by Jamie. His fucking soldiers turned on him for their liegelord Edmure, and he pretty much told them what was going to happen if they let him inside the castle and they did it anyways.

That those soldiers weren't behind the Blackfish after all that time is probably the most baffling part of the scene, actually. Edmure's been nothing but a chump that we've seen.

Yeah. Someone really needs to check the water lead content at Riverrun because goddamn that was stupid.

• Options
    So more arya thoughts...

Not possible.

I think the idea is that she cut her own face off and put it on the wall?

Like Faceless Men are literally faceless and that's what it takes to become No One

So she cut off both Arya's and her own faces, put her own up on the wall, and wore Arya

Then through the whole conversation she acted just like Arya Stark and Sexy Jesus approved

Which would be stupid and awful, but would explain why they didn't show the fight between Arya and the Waif, something we were all pretty hyped up to see

Oh god... yeah...

That would be... that would be something indeed...

• Options

Well
    He was, in effect, tricked by Jaime. If he had been smart he would have instructed all of his soldiers from day one to disregard everything Edmure said ahead of time, instead of trying to convince them it was a trick while it was happening. It should have been painfully obvious that they would try another ploy with Edmure after they backed down from killing him.

Also in the books
    Edmure helps the Blackfish escape by raising the portcullis at the Water Gate slightly and having him swim under it

Which is way more badass

• Options
    GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    He said that he had not been in a proper sword fight in years and figured he would embarrass himself. Maybe he did, and they did not show it out of respect.

• Options
    Also, this exchange had me in stitches:
    "Where's the other one... the one with the yellow cloak?"

"....FUCK YOU..."

"Those are your last words? "Fuck you"? C'mon, you can do better."

*thinks*

"....CUUUNT..."
    "You're shit at dying."

• Options

Well
    He was, in effect, tricked by Jaime. If he had been smart he would have instructed all of his soldiers from day one to disregard everything Edmure said ahead of time, instead of trying to convince them it was a trick while it was happening. It should have been painfully obvious that they would try another ploy with Edmure after they backed down from killing him.

Also in the books
    Edmure helps the Blackfish escape by raising the portcullis at the Water Gate slightly and having him swim under it

Which is way more badass

That's a bit like Biden saying ignore Obama. There is a certain problem when ones authority is entirely dervived from the one you're telling them to ignore.

Though agreed,
    Edmure came off as a chump here instead of a alright as in the books. We also didn't get Jamie's line about oubliettes to bring Edmure back down .

• Options
    On Arya
    “The one person who has protected her to this point is murdered. The fact the Many-Faced God gets the names that were promised to him makes you think there’s almost an inevitability to what happens to people who run afoul of the Faceless Men, as Arya has done.” - D.B. Weiss

• Options
    Ghoti wrote: »
    He said that he had not been in a proper sword fight in years and figured he would embarrass himself. Maybe he did, and they did not show it out of respect.

This also makes no sense!

Book spoilers
    In the books, he is part of the Battle in the Whispering Wood (he even leads the group that gets Jaime Lannister drawn out of his camp!), and he leads the van at the Battle of the Camps; plus, he campaigns with Robb for some time and presumably participates in other battles and skirmishes

It's a disservice to the character to make him some old man that fails epically at holding Riverrun and can't hold a sword properly

• Options
    Also, I'm calling it as my prediction now.
    Arya's dead.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Also, I'm calling it as my prediction now.
    Arya's dead.

Nah.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I think it'd be a neat twist with plenty of grounding, but I also imagine that a few of last night's scenes would have been shot completely differently if that were true.

This discussion has been closed.