As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Aaaaaand fuck this last boss. I can beat the first form without taking a hit now, but after probably 13 lives thrown at it, I'm done. Don't care how it ends, last boss is not only hard as balls, but the framerate tanks through the whole second phase.

We're done, Mighty No. 9. I'll YouTube the ending.

ROBOTS WERE BUILT FOR WAR, MAGGOT! NOT FOR GIVING UP!

NOW GET BACK IN THERE LIKE A GOOD SOLDIER AND DO YOUR DUTY!

(note: the above is a hint.)

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I was using that weapon. Doesn't help with the framerate much.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I thought people were reporting the last boss is piss easy or something?

I have no idea, i'm not there yet, I'm only about halfway through the first levels currently.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Looking at a video of it, it has such a piss easy pattern. But the "challenge" is that you do pathetic damage to it, so the fight's nearly 10+ minutes.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Well I still have yet to beat a single mighty. Most of my time has been spent on Pyro, and I can't get passed the failing platforms, fireballs and towers section.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Looking at a video of it, it has such a piss easy pattern. But the "challenge" is that you do pathetic damage to it, so the fight's nearly 10+ minutes.

Well, that video uses the regular buster shot, so yeah it takes longer. I tried to do it that way and it's annoying. There's another video using battalion that isn't too hard. Still took me a good 10 tries.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It says volumes that there's an insta-death spike area IN THE GODDAMN INTRODUCTORY LEVEL.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The last boss takes a loooooong time because the best thing you can do is use the normal buster and Brand.

Brand up close on first form to nullify the projectiles and do damage to it.

Normal buster from across the screen on the segments on the second form.

When it appears in the middle of the screen quickly Brand on both segments and dash through and jump onto one of the upper ledges, with both segments gone it won't be able to hit you.

Then just dodge the big beams and repeat.

and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat for like 20 minutes. Keep repeating, and try not to fall asleep.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The last boss takes a loooooong time because the best thing you can do is use the normal buster and Brand.

Brand up close on first form to nullify the projectiles and do damage to it.

Normal buster from across the screen on the segments on the second form.

When it appears in the middle of the screen quickly Brand on both segments and dash through and jump onto one of the upper ledges, with both segments gone it won't be able to hit you.

Then just dodge the big beams and repeat.

and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat for like 20 minutes. Keep repeating, and try not to fall asleep.

First form you can damage any time the boss is small/drained, aka it's vulnerable to attack in the window after it has dropped its first four projectiles, and before it has absorbed its first four. Ice ball will continue to do periodic damage even after the boss returns to invulnerability. You can as such continue doing damage to the boss even during the phases where it's not sitting in the corner.

Use the missile from the armybot on the second form. The explosion damage hits every segment and only takes maybe three or so to completely shred the health of each segment.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It says volumes that there's an insta-death spike area IN THE GODDAMN INTRODUCTORY LEVEL.

what's wrong with that? bottomless pits and spike pits have always been in those games

mega man x which everyone loves has bottomless pits all over the intro stage

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

what's wrong with that? bottomless pits and spike pits have always been in those games

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to play through the final version but the backer demo had the intro stage (which I'm assuming didn't change much) and I don't recall having much of an issue with it. But yeah, I think all of the Mega Man games with intro stages at least had bottomless pits.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

MMX's intro level gets people singing its praises as one of the best tutorials ever made and I think it has like 10+ death pits.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    That's part of what makes it a good tutorial.

Guess what, you can instantly die in this game, now you have learned it, you can start over with all your lives and won't have lost a lot of time in doing so because it's level 1.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Anyone in Europe got their code yet?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    And don't forget to set your lives to 9 in the options.

• Options
    Having now played through this I am glad it wasn't as bad as all the reviews made it out to be. I'd even be glad to have played it if it was $10.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yeah, I finally played a little bit. It's pretty much what I expected. Pretty fun, though there are definitely some cheap parts I don't care for. Also the loading times on the Wii U are butt. That's honestly my biggest complaint about it so far.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Talith wrote: »
    MMX's intro level gets people singing its praises as one of the best tutorials ever made and I think it has like 10+ death pits.
    More like one guy who knows barely anything about game design made a video singing its praises and everyone kinda jumped on that bandwagon.

But it also has one of the best songs this side of the MM2 theme, so it can have all the death pits it wants.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Death pits are lame. I want lava pits that send you flying with a comedy flaming ass, I want water you float in, I want holes that lead to a lower, slower part of the level as "punishment", I was spikes that don't do max damage.

Basically, I'm not in a early 90's arcade anymore team, get on it.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    More like one guy who knows barely anything about game design made a video singing its praises and everyone kinda jumped on that bandwagon.

But it also has one of the best songs this side of the MM2 theme, so it can have all the death pits it wants.

If you're going to have instant death mechanics in your game you should put them in the intro stage you know? The earlier the player has that information the better they can react to it when presented with it again in subsequent stages. All the egoraptor videos doesn't invalidate that aspect

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Instant death environmental hazards are also the only actual part of the stages that are remotely threatening, because all the enemies are boring and the level design doesn't even put them in places where they might require finesse to deal with.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Instant death environmental hazards are also the only actual part of the stages that are remotely threatening, because all the enemies are boring and the level design doesn't even put them in places where they might require finesse to deal with.

I think that's on purpose because otherwise the combo system would be useless.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Well then they designed their game to be bad and boring on purpose

Which I don't actually know if that's better or worse but hey

• Options
    There are many instances where bad timing will cause a thing to toss out a little pellet that will knock you back to your doom.

• Options

Doesn't mean he's wrong. Even a hyperbolic internet celebrity clock is right twice a day.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I love the video, but it makes a lot of assumptions about how humans think.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I love the video, but it makes a lot of assumptions about how humans think.

It does indeed, but again, a lot of the technical design he points out is spot on, whether the designers intended it or not. We could all feel how good that level was back when we were kids playing it, but none of us took the time to make a video essay on it.

• Options
    Yeah, I have doubts that his example of learning to wall jump is how people actually figured it out.

End of the day, Mega Man is not a complex game, and there are limited ways to interact with it. Not to mention the SNES controller only had so many buttons, and the options menu told you what they did. So of course you're more likely to figure it out for yourself. And a lot of its learning tricks aren't unique (Mario has been doing the whole "see the trick in a safe environment" schtick from day one).

Then take something like Mass Effect. Where the buttons do different things depending on context. On a controller with way more buttons. It's no wonder people didn't know the Mako had a damn cannon.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    All I know is, my cousins and I never figured out how to get out of that wall-jump pit. Pretty frustrating, let me tell you.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

I remember the MMX intro level song...

but what video are you guys talking about?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

Spark Mandrill?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular

Spark Mandrill?

I suspect he's referring to the intro stage, but my vote is for Boomer Kuwanger's.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

That guy kind of lost me at "there were no books on game design." I mean... even dating it to 1987 there was info out there.

Hell, part of my early learning of how to program gaim came from copies of 3-2-1 Contact from my grandma's house, which had complete BASIC games in them. Widely available publications on game design and game making, perhaps. But no? Hardly.

Also, the first stage of SMB?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

That guy kind of lost me at "there were no books on game design." I mean... even dating it to 1987 there was info out there.

Hell, part of my early learning of how to program gaim came from copies of 3-2-1 Contact from my grandma's house, which had complete BASIC games in them. Widely available publications on game design and game making, perhaps. But no? Hardly.

If you watch his episode on Ocarina of Time, you'll probably get an ulcer. Some of his points are valid, but there's way too much nitpicking.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'd be curious to see what people here thought of Arin's 'Castlevania 1 vs 2' and 'Super Castlevania IV' sequelitis videos.

The recurring theme that stuck out to me across those two, the MMX and LoZ:OoT episodes was the point that when you make a sequel to a successful game, you have to respect that the previous entry worked as a unified whole, and that any changes you make to parts of the formula will spiral out to effect other aspects you are carrying over from the previous works, so you need to consider those ramifications and how things interact. It's at the heart of why he feels that Symphony of the Night and the other Igavanias succeeded where Simon's Quest failed (that it didn't change things enough to make the genre shift shine), it's why Arin feels that the enhanced whip mechanics in SCIV where underutilized and yet made the traditional weapon items obsolete, it's the cause of a bunch of his complaints in the controversial OoT video, and it's part of what he praises about how MMX adapted what made the classic MM games so good.

He never really singles it out as a focus of the series, but it's present in one form or another in all of the videos, and I think it's an interesting way to look at sequel design.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    RockinX wrote: »

If you watch his episode on Ocarina of Time, you'll probably get an ulcer. Some of his points are valid, but there's way too much nitpicking.

I liked the ending of it though. Where he says "Now to all of you who want to refute my statements? ...Go ahead! You sat here and listened to me soapbox. It's only fair you get to do it in kind.".

It was a shocking moment of maturity in an internet that's more likely to just go "I'm right you're wrong lalalalala".

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Honestly, I couldn't have agreed any harder on every single point made in the Ocarina of Time video. It wasn't nitpicking, it was completely spot-on.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

He's talking about the evolution of games that feel good to play, not just functionally copying real world games like cards or sports.

• Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular

He's talking about the evolution of games that feel good to play, not just functionally copying real world games like cards or sports.
    Did you quote the wrong post? What does your reply have to do with what RockinX said?

Steam Profile: Lork