Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: Screams from My Father

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    necroSYS wrote: »
    Ladai wrote: »
    Looks like Sanders is ready to endorse Clinton:
    Bernie Sanders signaled a formal endorsement of Hillary Clinton is imminent, saying in an interview that Republican Donald Trump is “a pathological liar” and that he’ll throw his full support behind electing his rival for the Democratic nomination as president.

“We have got to do everything that we can to defeat Donald Trump and elect Hillary Clinton,” the Vermont senator said in an interview Thursday with Bloomberg’s Albert R. Hunt for PBS’s “Charlie Rose” program. “I don’t honestly know how we would survive four years of a Donald Trump” as president.

I'm just glad it seems this will be wrapped up before the conventions. I admit to having some harsh feelings toward Sanders during the last few months regarding how he's played out the tail end of his campaign, but now, honestly, I mostly just feel relief. I'm ready to move on.

Good grief, I don't know how we would survive four weeks, but Bernie, what the hell has been stopping you from endorsing her for the last 6 weeks?

Hail mary on the emails

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Bernie Sanders signaled a formal endorsement of Hillary Clinton is imminent, saying in an interview that Republican Donald Trump is “a pathological liar” and that he’ll throw his full support behind electing his rival for the Democratic nomination as president.

“We have got to do everything that we can to defeat Donald Trump and elect Hillary Clinton,” the Vermont senator said in an interview Thursday with Bloomberg’s Albert R. Hunt for PBS’s “Charlie Rose” program. “I don’t honestly know how we would survive four years of a Donald Trump” as president.

I'm just glad it seems this will be wrapped up before the conventions. I admit to having some harsh feelings toward Sanders during the last few months regarding how he's played out the tail end of his campaign, but now, honestly, I mostly just feel relief. I'm ready to move on.

Good grief, I don't know how we would survive four weeks, but Bernie, what the hell has been stopping you from endorsing her for the last 6 weeks?

Just a hunch, him or his handlers didn't want him to formally drop out until the email baloney was finally settled, just in the off chance that Clinton was indicted.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    We had a thing happen here the other day. At night, guy on a motorcycle on the expressway made an illegal u-turn and stuck a police car on the passenger side, died instantly.

At least that what the papers reported and the police are saying. Eye witnesses at the scene are saying different. Here is the description of events per a guy whos an EMT was was waiting at the toll booth to get through, and got out to help as soon as it happened.
    Guy was approaching the toll booth on his motorcycle, going probably 50 (speed limit is 60) officer started his car, made an illegal u-turn with no lights on, motorcycle hit the side of his car, guy went flying, died on imapct. EMT ran to the motorcycle guy, saw he was dead, went to the office who was just staring off into space repeating "oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck" then asked the EMT "Is he ok?" EMT said no, Cop cursed loudly, got out of the car, told people to disperse, called it in. When other officers arrived many witnesses said they would give a statement, none were taken, and one state officer said "Please leave, we will take care of this" now the papers and the police are giving a possibly false story and focusing on how he had an expired lisence so he driving criminally.

Fuck all this shit.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Makes me think I really should get a dashboard cam. You never know when you're gonna need it.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The last five years have made me deeply, deeply afraid of police

I'm an asian guy, whiter than most, and I'm afraid

I can't even imagine what the black community have had to live with for so long

This has to stop

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    we're catching up to russia in police corruption

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/trump-changes-few-minds-with-meeting-on-the-hill
    Another Republican in the meeting who declined to go on the record so he could speak candidly told TPM that Trump was asked pointedly if he would defend Article I of the Constitution.

"Not only will I stand up for Article One," Trump enthusiastically stated, according to the member in the room. "I'll stand up for Article Two, Article 12, you name it of the Constitution."

The Republican member said that Trump's lack of knowledge about how many articles exist, gave him "a little pause." (The Constitution has seven articles and 27 amendments.)

"There wasn't a lot of substance, and I think at some point we got to get to substance in the most significant political position in the world," the member said.

Blake Farenthold (R-TX) dismissed the flub as little more than a small error.

"He was just listing out numbers," Farenthold said. "I think he was confusing Articles and Amendments. Remember, this guy doesn't speak from a TelePrompter. He speaks from the heart."

Yo it's totally not necessary for the president to know how many articles and amendments the constitution has. He's just in charge of fucking defending it. It isn't like he needs to know what it actually says... Total fuckmuppetry

theonion.com/article/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c-2849

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The last five years have made me deeply, deeply afraid of police

I'm an asian guy, whiter than most, and I'm afraid

I can't even imagine what the black community have had to live with for so long

This has to stop

The thing that drove it home to me was when I was canvassing and our van got stopped twice by the same cop because he was just determined that we were like... the shittiest least-stealthy thieves.

Long story short, the realization that this officer was stupid as a board, very frustrated because he hadn't gotten to do what he wanted, and armed, was fucking terrifying.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    We had a thing happen here the other day. At night, guy on a motorcycle on the expressway made an illegal u-turn and stuck a police car on the passenger side, died instantly.

At least that what the papers reported and the police are saying. Eye witnesses at the scene are saying different. Here is the description of events per a guy whos an EMT was was waiting at the toll booth to get through, and got out to help as soon as it happened.
    Guy was approaching the toll booth on his motorcycle, going probably 50 (speed limit is 60) officer started his car, made an illegal u-turn with no lights on, motorcycle hit the side of his car, guy went flying, died on imapct. EMT ran to the motorcycle guy, saw he was dead, went to the office who was just staring off into space repeating "oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck" then asked the EMT "Is he ok?" EMT said no, Cop cursed loudly, got out of the car, told people to disperse, called it in. When other officers arrived many witnesses said they would give a statement, none were taken, and one state officer said "Please leave, we will take care of this" now the papers and the police are giving a possibly false story and focusing on how he had an expired lisence so he driving criminally.

Fuck all this shit.

Cops will always lie to protect themselves. It's just the natural outcome of there being literally no consequences to it. They're faced with the choice of "lie and get off scott free, every time" or "tell the truth and lose your job for no benefit". Why would they ever tell the truth just to hurt themselves? In pretty much every incident I can think of where video evidence was revealed after officers had already made a statement, the video evidence contradicted the statement. Too bad prosecutors and cops are in bed together and will never stop giving officers a get-out-of-jail free card by always taking their statements at face value.

It's funny, the only thing changing this is the existence and prevalence of smart phones. People think that somehow there has been an increase in police misconduct recently, with all the publicized shootings. Uh, no. There has been an increase in incontrovertible video evidence. Before ten years ago, the cops would murder someone, give their lie-filled statement about how their victim was attacking them, and the papers would dutifully publish it as if it were fact. Black people have always known this, but they had no way to fight back, because the power system was aligned such that the police's word would always be taken as revealed truth. Technology is finally making it impossible to ignore. Film a cop today.

sig.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

it's not hard to convince yourself that racism is fine when you personally are insulated from any repercussions of it

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

I wanted to make a flippant remark about doing what he can to save himself from the camps, but even though I really do believe that Trump is exactly that kind of fascist, the remark is inappropriate. I'll just continue to hope that Trump doesn't really have a chance so I'll never have to find out how far he's willing to go on this neo Nazi drag.

Cambiata on
    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

The dnc hasn't committed to many of the policies and views Bernie is fighting for, he doesn't owe HRC or the DNC any endorsement. He'll use it as leverage and once policy that he can agree with is put in place the endorsement will be made.

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/bernie-sanders-this-isn-t-about-my-ego-719966787657?cid=eml_mda_20160707

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but this guy is Jewish

Maybe he doesn't face as much hatred from neo-Nazi types because he's also on the right, but he's still supporting someone who endorses hating and insulting Jews

That's some real cognitive dissonance.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

The dnc hasn't committed to many of the policies and views Bernie is fighting for, he doesn't owe HRC or the DNC any endorsement. He'll use it as leverage and once policy that he can agree with is put in place the endorsement will be made.

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/bernie-sanders-this-isn-t-about-my-ego-719966787657?cid=eml_mda_20160707

He at least owes them a concession speech, which he has yet to give.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

I feel the same about Paul Ryan. There is no way in hell Ryan actually wants Trump to win or believes he'd be a better President but his colleagues and constituency would lose their collective shit if he were to admit that.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular

None of that matters if Sanders' position is "Holy shit, we have to do everything humanly possible to defeat Trump in November, because he is an existential threat to America."

• Options

Why?

• Options

None of that matters if Sanders' position is "Holy shit, we have to do everything humanly possible to defeat Trump in November, because he is an existential threat to America."

No, it matters to a lot of people. Myself and others who are going to be voting in the future want to see commitment from their politicians. He's doing the exact right thing for his voter base by keeping his promises. He's going to fight for his platform and he's not going to give up on it. That matters. Getting behind Hillary and joining the dnc bandwagon isn't what his constituents want to see, they want to see change in the dnc platform. If he's using his endorsement as leverage, good.

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

Why?

Simple politeness and a recognition that he's been using the DNC prcess to run? Like every reasonable losing candidate ever.

Muddypaws on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Sanders has accomplished more without his party's nomination by pushing the DNC's platform toward progressive policies than some of his critics said he would if he were elected President. The party's taking small steps toward working on a new Glass-Steagall. He's even gotten the party to adopt the abolition of the death penalty. They've moved from a $12/hr to $15/hr minimum wage. Yeah they had some major losses in that fight for policy. I know he'd like to see a ban on hydraulic facking. There were no calls for carbon taxes. Of course the big one is that the Democratic Party is somehow still supporting the disastrous trade agreement that is the TPP. That said even fights where he lost like moving to expand Obamacare toward Single Payer are being taken up at a state level in Colorado. So yeah, maybe if you're not making minimum wage or a prisoner on death row his staying in it and pushing for policy changes doesn't matter to you. Hell Clinton could ignore the party platform entirely and then it wouldn't matter much to anyone but it's worth fighting for. Those policies matter a fuck of a lot more to me than "simple politeness" toward the DNC.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Muddypaws wrote: »

Why?

Simple politeness and a recognition that he's been using the DNC prcess to run? Like every reasonable losing candidate ever.

Fuck being polite, he's fighting for policy that directly effects my life.

• Options
    You really do give Clinton and the DNC zero credit for any of their positions.

• Options

So you're going to just strawman me?

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

Fuck all this shit.

Cops will always lie to protect themselves. It's just the natural outcome of there being literally no consequences to it. They're faced with the choice of "lie and get off scott free, every time" or "tell the truth and lose your job for no benefit". Why would they ever tell the truth just to hurt themselves? In pretty much every incident I can think of where video evidence was revealed after officers had already made a statement, the video evidence contradicted the statement. Too bad prosecutors and cops are in bed together and will never stop giving officers a get-out-of-jail free card by always taking their statements at face value.

It's funny, the only thing changing this is the existence and prevalence of smart phones. People think that somehow there has been an increase in police misconduct recently, with all the publicized shootings. Uh, no. There has been an increase in incontrovertible video evidence. Before ten years ago, the cops would murder someone, give their lie-filled statement about how their victim was attacking them, and the papers would dutifully publish it as if it were fact. Black people have always known this, but they had no way to fight back, because the power system was aligned such that the police's word would always be taken as revealed truth. Technology is finally making it impossible to ignore. Film a cop today.

They're working on tech to get by that pesky "accountability" problem.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Guys Sander is just

He's not actually that good you guys, i voted for him but he's not that good

• Options

I don't have a clue what you're talking about anymore.

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular

Why?

he can continue to fight for policy changes while also not being a massive goose about losing

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Why?

It affects mine too. Burning bridges with everyone everywhere doesn't get policy passed.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'll believe that Sanders has bowed out and endorsed Hillary when I see it

And then I will wait with bated breath until we're all welcoming Hillary into office

• Options
    The TPP would effect laws including intellectual property rights, food and product safety and environmental standards. Just about any regulation on how corporations do business would effectively be up for legal dispute in trade tribunals that subvert the sovereignty of nations allowing corporations to override and nullify laws. Under the TPP corporations effected by laws that would enforce environmental regulations for example could take the United States to a tribunal to change the law and those rulings would be legally binding. Under the TPP net neutrality legislation like SOPA could be easily passed. Furthermore just like NAFTA lead to the loss of jobs and lower wages the TPP would be disastrous for the middle class.

...so no I'm not going to give Hillary Clinton or the DNC establishment credit or be polite when they support this agreement. Because even if they otherwise adopt the most progressive policies imaginable this is still handing the keys to our legislative branch over to moneyed interests that don't care about the Democratic Party or America or whether or not your tap water catches fire.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    He has open negotiations with the next president of the United States, that seems like a pretty good way to talk policy. Sanders isn't a democrat, it's not likely that once he's conceded he would have this kind of access again. Might as well use it.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Makes me think I really should get a dashboard cam. You never know when you're gonna need it.
    I.e. the russian solution. For exactly the same reasons.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I think that might have been aimed at the post above yours.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The TPP would effect laws including intellectual property rights, food and product safety and environmental standards. Just about any regulation on how corporations do business would effectively be up for legal dispute in trade tribunals that subvert the sovereignty of nations allowing corporations to override and nullify laws. Under the TPP corporations effected by laws that would enforce environmental regulations for example could take the United States to a tribunal to change the law and those rulings would be legally binding. Under the TPP net neutrality legislation like SOPA could be easily passed. Furthermore just like NAFTA lead to the loss of jobs and lower wages the TPP would be disastrous for the middle class.

...so no I'm not going to give Hillary Clinton or the DNC establishment credit or be polite when they support this agreement. Because even if they otherwise adopt the most progressive policies imaginable this is still handing the keys to our legislative branch over to moneyed interests that don't care about the Democratic Party or America or whether or not your tap water catches fire.

You're overlaying NAFTA on an existing trend and trying to blame it for things that were already happening.

NAFTA didn't really do much of anything economically, anyone saying it was a disaster is wrong, and anyone saying it was super great is wrong.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not sure why the onnis falls on me to point out all of the DNC and Hillary's best contributions to the party's platform and not her numerous vocal supporters who post in this thread but whatever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azmpSVm8f-8
    • expanding Earned Income Tax Credits
    • comprehensive immigration reform including “keeping families together, ending family detention, closing private detention centers, and guaranteeing legal counsel for all unaccompanied minors in immigration proceedings"
    • a joint Sanders-Clinton proposal “to commit to making America run entirely on clean energy by mid-century.”
    • opposing the 1973 Helms Amendment (limited U.S. spending abroad on abortion)
    • opposing the 1976 Hyde Amendment (limiting domestic federal expenditures on abortion)
    • calling for "ending the era of mass incarceration, shutting down private prisons, ending racial profiling, reforming the grand jury process, investing in re-entry programs"...still kind of vague but I'll take it.
    • Supporting states that choose to decriminalize marijuana
    • adopting an amendment recognizing the racial disparity of the impact of marijuana laws on African Americans
    • Taking the position that Palestine “should be free to govern themselves in their own viable state, in peace and in dignity"...a low bar but whatever.
    • Agreeing to take action to curb prescription medicine costs, including letting Medicare negotiate prices (this one actually just came hot off the twitter presses an hour ago)

Other than that the full press release on the June 25th meeting can be found here. It's full of a lot of vague language about restoring infrastructure and supporting teachers and such. Most of the actual policy proposals that were shot down were from the Sanders camp but it's also proving quite difficult to find out if any of Clinton's ideas were rejected. So yeah, a lot of vague promises so far. That said the Democrats are touting this year's national convention as the most transparent and inclusive ever. So if you for example would rather they actually promise to clean up uranium contaminated Navajo land over "unanimously adopting the most comprehensive language ever in the party’s platform recognizing our moral and legal responsibility to honor the sovereignty of and relationship to Indigenous tribes—and acknowledge previous failures to live up to that responsibility.” then you can go to Philidelphia on July 25-28th where I'm sure somebody will listen to you from your heavily guarded spot inside a caged in "free speech zone" miles away from the actual luxurious Wells Fargo Center where the convention will be held.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    People are allowed to support Sanders, you guys

The latter end of his campaign has been marred and there is absolutely criticism to be levelled there

But it's totally okay to support him and his positions and think that he has made a positive impact by moving discourse to the left. It's debatable but it's a valid point. If you keep on jumping on people's asses for actually, you know, liking a leftist candidate despite flaws then you kind of come off like as much as a jerk as you say he did. Which I personally agree that he did, towards the end, but still.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Why?

because he lost

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Why?

because he lost

But why does that mean he owes them anything?

This discussion has been closed.