Options

[Nintendo] Switch

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
edited October 2016 in Social Entropy++
Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

NX will use game cartridges as its choice of physical media, multiple sources have also told us.

Considering NX's basis as a handheld first and foremost, the choice may not come as too much of a surprise - although we have heard the suggestion Nintendo recommends a 32GB cartridge, which is small when considering the size of many modern games.

Naturally, we expect digital game downloads will also be available. We were told Nintendo considered but then decided against making a system which supported digital downloads only.

It's not the first time cartridge-based media has been mooted for NX. Back in May, eagle-eyed fans spotted The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's trademark included cartridge-based games. This was a change from Nintendo's usual wording for home console trademarks, which only refer to digital downloads and discs.

Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility.

Another source said the system would run on a new operating system from Nintendo. It won't, contrary to some earlier rumours, simply run on Android.

Inside the NX, as stated above, the system will harness Nvidia's powerful mobile processor Tegra. Graphical comparisons with current consoles are difficult due to the vastly different nature of the device - but once again we've heard Nintendo is not chasing graphical parity. Quite the opposite, it is sacrificing power to ensure it can squeeze all of this technology into a handheld, something which also tallies with earlier reports.

Finally, we've heard from one source that NX planning has recently moved up a gear within Nintendo ahead of the console's unveiling, which is currently slated for September.

After the confused PR fiasco of the Wii U launch, the company is already settling on a simple marketing message for NX - of being able to take your games with you on the go.

Nintendo always designs its hardware to show off specific game concepts - and it remains to be seen how the system will showcase the next Mario, or even how the NX version of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - the only first-party game confirmed so-far - may differ when played on the device.

Previously, however, we've heard reports of various Wii U games reappearing as updated NX ports - Splatoon and Smash Bros. have both been mooted. And then there's Pikmin 4, which Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed to Eurogamer just over a year ago.

"Nintendo has not made any new official announcements regarding NX which is due to launch in March 2017," a Nintendo spokesperson told Eurogamer when contacted about this story. "As such [we're] unable to comment on the various rumours and speculations circulating."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

The NX is almost exactly what we all thought it was

except CARTRIDGES, Y'ALL

nintendo-cartridges-1500x1000.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUOgIgLqOQ

6F32U1X.png
Sterica on

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Detachable controller pieces sounds like an interesting way to do this thing, but I'm very worried about the size and battery life. A proper portable system should be aiming for the DS Lite sweet spot, imo. Small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket with enough battery to last an all-day car trip.

God the DS Lite was so good...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Maybe I am not the best judge as I have not bought a Nintendo system since the gamecube but I do not think it is a good idea to lose backwards compatibility.

That is what I thought was the coolest thing about the Nintendo console, a huge back catalogue of games.

(This could also be since not many people make games for it)

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, the battery life is the biggest question.

Though this is Nintendo, I imagine they wouldn't move forward if they didn't at least find a way to have the battery life be at 3DS levels.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Maybe I am not the best judge as I have not bought a Nintendo system since the gamecube but I do not think it is a good idea to lose backwards compatibility.

That is what I thought was the coolest thing about the Nintendo console, a huge back catalogue of games.

(This could also be since not many people make games for it)

The six Wii U games will probably all get ports anyway

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    This thing sounds like it's gonna be goddamn huge if it has detachable controllers

• Options
    Guessing they'll do like they've done for several Wii games and have them avaialble digitally. In my dreams you'd be able to transfer your digital library from the Wii U but it's Nintendo, so that's pretty much definitely not going to happen.

But yeah, I agree that the one-generation-back thing they've been doing is great. I'm kind of confused at your stance on it, though, Blake, because they didn't even START having console back-compat until the Wii, which is after you got out of the game. SNES, N64, and GameCube didn't have that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    So if the cartridge thing is true, that would give NX games an additional 7 GB over the Wii U's 25 GB discs, but 12 GB behind the dual layer Blu Rays used in the PS4. Not that that'll really matter since I doubt anyone will be porting anything from current gen, just something interesting to keep in mind.

Man, I'm glad the Bombcast switched to recording Tuesdays to do it live, I want to hear their take on all this.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    This thing sounds like it's gonna be goddamn huge if it has detachable controllers

If it's the size of the Wii U gamepad I'm going to be upset. That's way too fucking big for a proper portable system, Chincy be damned.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I hope they mean that backward compatibility will be lost with the Wii and Wii U discs.

Cause if they also mean the Virtual Console, that'll be insane.

• Options

If it's the size of the Wii U gamepad I'm going to be upset. That's way too fucking big for a proper portable system, Chincy be damned.

Introducing the Official NX JNCO Jeans

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Introducing the Official NX JNCO Jeans

JNxCO Jeans

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    this is the happiest I've been about a nintendo announcement since probably the gamecube era

fuck

yes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Jesus, so I can choose to play zelda on a horrible wii u tablet or a portable nx tablet. fantastic

• Options
    this is the happiest I've been about a nintendo announcement since probably the gamecube era

fuck

yes

This isn't a Nintendo announcement. It's a rumor.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Jesus, so I can choose to play zelda on a horrible wii u tablet or a portable nx tablet. fantastic

No, you'll play it on your television.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

fuck

yes

It's a major games website reporting what several of their trusted sources have told them

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    sG5igud.jpg

Yh4Yl5R.jpg

m1417nk.jpg

7LWjwMa.jpg

cwMpLOV.jpg

J3IHwWN.jpg

IT'S REAL. IT'S ALL REAL. EVERY LEAK CONFIRMED. EVERY WISH COME TRUE CONFIRMED. PORTABLE/LIVING ROOM TRI-SCREEN GLASSES-FREE VR/AR CROSS-PLATFORM NETWORK + HOBBY GRADE CAMPAIGNS CONFIRMED.

• Options

fuck

yes

It's a major games website reporting what several of their trusted sources have told them

Right, a rumor.

It's 100% not an announcement, nor is it from Nintendo.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

fuck

yes

yeah like at this point the announcement is the only thing left, so you're right its not an announcement

But I basically consider this to be a done deal

Big sites like this don't report this unless they can back it up.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Until there's an actual statement from the company or verifiable proof it's a rumor. That's the literal definition of a rumor. The likelihood of it being true doesn't change that in any way.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Until there's an actual statement from the company or verifiable proof it's a rumor. That's the literal definition of a rumor. The likelihood of it being true doesn't change that in any way.

joel

You're doing that thing where its pretty clear what I meant and I already capitulated but you're stiill being pedantic

I used the wrong word

But it doesn't really matter, its not an announcement but this is concrete enough that I'm going to proceed as if its true

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    If that rumor is true ....

well

I guess I always liked cartridges because of nostalgia

and I like detachable controllers

aside from that, I really couldn't care less about any of it. The battery will suck ass and it will be too big to fit in your pocket. It will be underpowered I assume so that'll kill third party games.

I also doubt there will be a way to transfer games over from the Wii and Wii U

• Options

joel

You're doing that thing where its pretty clear what I meant and I already capitulated but you're stiill being pedantic

I used the wrong word

But it doesn't really matter, its not an announcement but this is concrete enough that I'm going to proceed as if its true

I disagree that I'm just being pedantic. I think it's a very important distinction. But I don't really want to fight about that right now so I will drop it. Sorry.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i'm not gonna be putting any gameboy of any sort in a pocket. do people put 3DSs in their pockets? game boy goes in bag

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    i'm not gonna be putting any gameboy of any sort in a pocket. do people put 3DSs in their pockets? game boy goes in bag

I put my XL in my pocket yeah

• Options

I do!

it's what they're for!

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

well

aside from that, I really couldn't care less about any of it. The battery will suck ass and it will be too big to fit in your pocket. It will be underpowered I assume so that'll kill third party games.

nintendo killed third party games on their platforms over a decade ago and they havent cared about being underpowered in almost as long

• Options
    edited July 2016

I've put every portable other than the original Game Boy (which was too thick) in my pocket. Why would I carry a bag around just to hold my Game Boy when the whole point of pockets is to let you carry things around without needing a bag? The DS line (and its likely prototype, the GBA-SP) are even designed around this fact with it's handy, screen-protecting clamshell design.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

well

nintendo killed third party games on their platforms over a decade ago and they havent cared about being underpowered in almost as long

yep

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    yeah I have a 2DS so i've never even thought about putting a gameboy in a pocket, that oblong monster isn't fitting in clothes

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    hey guess what

i'm actually going to play monster hunter now because i'll be able to play it on a fucking television with a fucking controller

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I guess my 3DS fits in some of my back jean pockets but like half of the thing is hanging out so I usually don't bother.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    No backwards compatibility well I guess I already have a wii u so I can just play those games on that but I was really hoping I could use the WiiU to make a dent in the cost of a nx

or that there would be some kind of promise about improving digital offerings of old titles

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

joel

I used the wrong word

I disagree that I'm just being pedantic. I think it's a very important distinction. But I don't really want to fight about that right now so I will drop it. Sorry.

nobody who has ever said "I disagree that I am just being pedantic" was ever proven to be right

• Options
    hey guess what

i'm actually going to play monster hunter now because i'll be able to play it on a fucking television with a fucking controller

Speed

Speed this might mean we get to play pokemon on a tv

• Options
    anyways, cartridges are more expensive to make than disc so good luck finding that third party support

again

• Options

joel

I used the wrong word

nobody who has ever said "I disagree that I am just being pedantic" was ever proven to be right

I know this is a trap and I am trying very hard not to walk into it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    anyways, cartridges are more expensive to make than disc so good luck finding that third party support

again

oh this sounds like they've totally given up on home consoles

it mostly sounds like they're making a new handheld with a built in Super Gameboy

• Options
    also no backwards compatibility, cool cool cool

• Options

again

What if digital only is an option? Nintendo said they considered just not using physical media but decided against it but that doesn't necessarily mean they're requiring every game to have a physical option.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.