Options

The [presidential election] is done with conventions

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

The Megyn Kelly blood comments happen on August 7, 2015, or about a year ago. He still won't shut up about it.

he's still bitter over a joke made about the size of his hands in the fucking 80s! a year ago is practically yesterday as far as Trump is concerned.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »
    The most incredible thing about this election so far is that Sopan Deb is able to get out of bed every morning.

If anyone deserves a medal it's that guy

Sleep on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Richy wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

This is scary low conviction and energy. This is basically a line from her speech at the DNC, but at 10% the energy level.

Are you doing a thing here? It's not a rally.

Low Energy! Sad!

That's really not where I was going with that. I meant, when she delivered that line at the DNC she was full of life and energy, and it resonated. It was inspirational. Here she's much more unsure and hesitant. She's monotone and saying a "huh" every sentence and keeps looking down at her notes. This is not a speech that is going to win any hearts, or that anyone will link to and say 'look how great Hillary is'.

I hope she was just having an off-day and will be back to her DNC self soon.

As a (normal) presidential candidate you have to make one or two, sometimes more campaign stops per day - every day for a year+... Quiet factory-floor speeches are at the very least just as important as giant rallies in spreading your message to likely voters in swing states (in this case, factory workers in Colorado). No one's expecting Hitlerian shouting rallies twice a day

In the doldrums of the 2008 primaries and general, Obama was giving these kinds of studious, and yes, low-energy speeches daily. It's a nonstarter complaint or note or whatever.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Like I just can't get over this fucking tonawanda thing, like I knew folks in the region were fucking country loving redneck assholes, but I didn't think it had actually progressed that far. Just so much WTF is in my brain right now.

The entire western world is facing the same insanity. Look at Europe. Marine le Pen. Extreme right-wing demagogues are gaining traction in the ever-leftist Nordic countries. The US election is going to be much bigger than the USA itself; if Trump wins, everything turns to shit. Suddenly we'll be looking to China as the distant land of social and financial sanity.

Man am I glad tonight is D&D night. I need some escapism up in this bitch.

Last month I started DMing a 2nd campaign just so I wouldn't have the time to drive myself crazy. Results have been mixed.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

What... what does that even mean? He wants to sue Kelly over a comment he made about her? How does that even make sense?

Or is there another meaning of the word "litigate" I am not aware of?

It's also used for rehashing arguments in discourse.

although in trump's case you have to check to make sure he isn't actually suing her because he's Trump

override367 on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

What... what does that even mean? He wants to sue Kelly over a comment he made about her? How does that even make sense?

Re-argue them in public.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

In this context it's used like deconstruct; think of rules-lawyering. That's not what I said / what I meant was.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    Is there a nice interactive map out there with decent cross tabs? I really kinda want to see what drives the urban rural political divide. There is no way that a city/town that hits some median population just flips blue.

There must be plenty of poly-sci papers on the subject but I don't have journal access.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    glimmung wrote: »
    Is there a nice interactive map out there with decent cross tabs? I really kinda want to see what drives the urban rural political divide. There is no way that a city/town that hits some median population just flips blue.

There must be plenty of poly-sci papers on the subject but I don't have journal access.

Google "The Great Sortition".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    You know I never entertained those "Trump wants to lose but is horrified because he seemingly can't" theories before, but now...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

This is scary low conviction and energy. This is basically a line from her speech at the DNC, but at 10% the energy level.

I don't think that's the case. I personally agree with Richy. In the ad Clinton makes good points but isn't really enthusiastic about making them. It's hardly the worse thing in the world but I do think she could stand to improve. She's said herself she's been way better at the service portion of her job than the public part.

• Options
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Like I just can't get over this fucking tonawanda thing, like I knew folks in the region were fucking country loving redneck assholes, but I didn't think it had actually progressed that far. Just so much WTF is in my brain right now.

The entire western world is facing the same insanity. Look at Europe. Marine le Pen. Extreme right-wing demagogues are gaining traction in the ever-leftist Nordic countries. The US election is going to be much bigger than the USA itself; if Trump wins, everything turns to shit. Suddenly we'll be looking to China as the distant land of social and financial sanity.

Man am I glad tonight is D&D night. I need some escapism up in this bitch.

Last month I started DMing a 2nd campaign just so I wouldn't have the time to drive myself crazy. Results have been mixed.

I've been going to the gym more frequently, gives me like two hours a day where all I need to think about is the next mile, the next rep, and not how fucked the future is.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Trump is well known for slinging around legal threats when he's upset. He rarely follows through on them.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

This sounds like a really standard Trump stump speech with many of the usual inane bits.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Alright, I was indeed not aware of that meaning of the word "litigate". That does make more sense. Thank you all.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

I don't think that's the case. I personally agree with Richy. In the ad Clinton makes good points but isn't really enthusiastic about making them. It's hardly the worse thing in the world but I do think she could stand to improve. She's said herself she's been way better at the service portion of her job than the public part.

Except that's not an ad, it's a speech at a tie manufacturer, mainly targeted at employees there.

• Options
    He wants a golf match against Obama for the Presidency.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    The most incredible thing about this election so far is that Sopan Deb is able to get out of bed every morning.

If anyone deserves a medal it's that guy

It's even crazier because he's Indian, so apparently gets yelled at by Trump followers all the time to go back to Iran or wherever. He's the journalist who was arrested for no reason at a Trump rally back in March.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

in Trump's brain he's the hero of every story

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

It's not an ad. It's 30 seconds of a campaign stop filmed and posted by politico.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

This sounds like a really standard Trump stump speech with many of the usual inane bits.

You know its funny democrats get shit for saying "Get aboard the hillary train or Trump wins." But I don't think that Hillary herself has said "Sorry if you want someone better fuck you I'm all you have."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I have no political or office experience and no poli-sci/jurisprudence/community/foreign-pol education and if I had to compete against this guy starting tomorrow and lost I would have to jump off a bridge in shame.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

You know its funny democrats get shit for saying "Get aboard the hillary train or Trump wins." But I don't think that Hillary herself has said "Sorry if you want someone better fuck you I'm all you have."

No, she's been about making the positive case for herself.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

That brings up a stormfront link and a reddit discussion.

glimmung on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Trump feeds from his base, and his base is 100% behind "Ryan, Romney, McCain and the rest are just a bunch of whining losers that just need to be told to shut up and the sooner that we can primary them the better".

I really want to see what happens if Ryan loses his seat.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

That brings up a stormfront link and a redit discussion.

yea I was actually curious about it and I think Hedgie is saying that it's a self selecting thing, that liberal people move into cities and conservatives move out of them, not that the city itself makes them liberal or rural environs make people conservative.

But I'd be interested in reading an article about it :p

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
  • Options

That brings up a stormfront link and a redit discussion.

Okay, that's weird. But in a nutshell, for the past few decades, we've been reshuffling ourselves. There's been a few different dynamics at play, but the result is that the US has seen communities shift, and people relocate to be in communities that better fit their worldviews.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Trump has the instinctive need to prove his dominance. One of the main ways he's been doing this has been to prove he is beyond consequences by lying directly into people's faces while he knows they know he's lying to them.

august on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Yes because when everything is 35% more expensive and we can't export anymore without the same kinds of tariffs that'll totally help us out.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    CNN's still being cheeky:

r73sxsysdow5.jpg

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Except that's not an ad, it's a speech at a tie manufacturer, mainly targeted at employees there.

Oh well fuck it then.

In other news: Signed up for volunteering. Waiting on an email to say when and where.

• Options

That's not how this... aw, forget it.

• Options

New strategy: they can't fact check you without facts to check.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

He can't possibly think it's a good idea to bring this up again (of course he does). He's on video mocking a man with a disability, why remind everyone who sees you of one of Hillary's best attack ads?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

I actually think this will work better than it deserves too

while I clearly see the message, his whole point has long been that the system favors doing these things. he'd be a fool not to make ties at a lower price given the option.

like, his answer to it is easy. that doesn't make it a bad message, though.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    ahahahaha I was worried that with this Iran money thing and all the pleas for sanity he might make it a day

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

the fucking reporter! THE FUCKING REPORTER?????????????? WHY?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Trump feeds from his base, and his base is 100% behind "Ryan, Romney, McCain and the rest are just a bunch of whining losers that just need to be told to shut up and the sooner that we can primary them the better".

I really want to see what happens if Ryan loses his seat.

Ryan and McCain will not lose their primary. I don't think Trump has that kind of sway even in his own party.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.