Options

Ninja [chat] Party

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Winky, I didn't know you used to be a science.

Yep I have degrees in Biology and Psychology and once was a bioinformatician, believe it or not

i wonder who has the most surprising education/career vs. how they seem on the forums

i feel like I'm a lil bit surprising, as i am a buffoon

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    super meat boy keeps crashing on the final boss

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    what's going on in milwaukee

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    my lack of degree matches my comic ineptitude

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Yep I have degrees in Biology and Psychology and once was a bioinformatician, believe it or not

i wonder who has the most surprising education/career vs. how they seem on the forums

jake what do you do

• Options

jake what do you do

i work in radiation safety

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I dunno if me talking about what I do/have done/am educated in would surprise anyone.

It's p mundane.

Except for getting free HBO using military hardware. That was p cool.

• Options
    /i was a physics major and math minor

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Did you have to do linear/matrix algebra?

I hit the math wall on that class.

Or I had a horrible teacher...

• Options
    edited August 2016

yep. at first i struggled but then i learned it p good, despite not really knowing what i was actually doing to these matrices or what they represented. a lot of times i can learn how to do something mathematical or physics-y without actually understanding it, which is great for school, but not, like, life

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Just watching Zootopia

Holy shit Pixar went PKD on Disney critters

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options

yep. at first i struggled but then i learned it p good. a lot of times i can learn how to do something mathematical or physics-y without actually understanding it, which is great for school, but not, like, life

It wasn't fun.

I enjoyed Calc I and Calc II because I felt they had applicable functions in the real world. Physics was a lot of fun, once you get how the formula stacking goes.

Linear/Matrix Algebra was a fucking nightmare.

• Options
    Why did I not know about this??

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options

yep. at first i struggled but then i learned it p good, despite not really knowing what i was actually doing to these matrices or what they represented. a lot of times i can learn how to do something mathematical or physics-y without actually understanding it, which is great for school, but not, like, life

(I'm fine with a useless, shallow understanding if you want to help me pass integral calculus beginning a week from tomorrow :4)

• Options

yep. at first i struggled but then i learned it p good. a lot of times i can learn how to do something mathematical or physics-y without actually understanding it, which is great for school, but not, like, life

It wasn't fun.

I enjoyed Calc I and Calc II because I felt they had applicable functions in the real world. Physics was a lot of fun, once you get how the formula stacking goes.

exactly - i couldn't really visualize what the hell these matrices were. just like when i got to advanced physics stuff where we used.. hermitian operators and whatever nonsense

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

jake what do you do

Oh awesome I need your help with this planet in No Man's Sky-

• Options
    I'm looking forward to the prospect of using databases and spreadsheets to derive trends in criminal activity and how it correlates with socioeconomic factors. I don't know if I have the job yet, at all, but apparently I'm on a short list due to veterans preference and a bach degree in CIS/MIS.

Also, if my source is correct, they will be training the analysts on Hadoop and BigTable.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

(I'm fine with a useless, shallow understanding if you want to help me pass integral calculus beginning a week from tomorrow :4)

i am always up 4 helpin u if u need

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

jake what do you do

Oh awesome I need your help with this planet in No Man's Sky-

WHAT ISOTOPE

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    I actually really enjoy like, the theory of integrals. Yes, I can totally see how engineering problems in the real world probably aren't composed of horizontal functions, and how finding the area of a curve is progressively more precise if we take a larger and larger number of cross sections beneath blah blah

Doesn't solve my skip-class-and-be-anxious habit tho

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Doing things by myself is a 50/50 proposition for me. Sometimes I feel better even if I don't really enjoy myself, because I went and did something

Sometimes I get there and feel really really alone

P.S. We should do a fun thing

• Options

It wasn't fun.

exactly - i couldn't really visualize what the hell these matrices were. just like when i got to advanced physics stuff where we used.. hermitian operators and whatever nonsense

Yeah you went way beyond me on the physics. I think we did thermodynamics and fluid dynamics at the very end of the class and that was about it. We didn't really do anything theoretical.

But our prof would always have some cool shit for us when class started, like the match/fork/glass trick.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Just watching Zootopia

*googles*

polycystic kidney disease? weird.

• Options
    I feel like melatonin is delivering me good sleep results

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Organichu wrote: »
    I actually really enjoy like, the theory of integrals. Yes, I can totally see how engineering problems in the real world probably aren't composed of horizontal functions, and how finding the area of a curve is progressively more precise if we take a larger and larger number of cross sections beneath blah blah

Doesn't solve my skip-class-and-be-anxious habit tho

It's funny, but you usually move past taking the cross sections of a curve within the same class and simply expressing it as a function, effectively making that part of it obsolete before you even get into derivatives.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Also, I'm not insulting anyone by suggesting this at all, but I am suggesting this.

Get Calculus For Dummies.

It's a really, really well-written book.

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    Just watching Zootopia

*googles*

I thought it was Paracontrol Kite Division.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    [noob@localhost]# git gud
    fatal: repository 'gud' does not exist

:(

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Just watching Zootopia

*googles*

Philip K. Dick?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    Just watching Zootopia

*googles*

Philip K. Dick?

explosive ordinance disposal?

• Options
    [noob@localhost]# git gud
    fatal: repository 'gud' does not exist

:(

sudo git gud

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Just watching Zootopia

*googles*

Philip K. Dick?

explosive ordinance disposal?

Feral you responded to yourself to dig up the corpse of the EOD joke

Pull yourself together

• Options
    Omg you guys I'm super lttp but Zootopia is amazing

• Options
    public String getGud(){
    return.getRekt;}

• Options
    Also also Phillip K Dick

Savages

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Guys have you seen science, though?

CRISPR is an immensely exciting prospect for me, because it has the serious potential to be a real solution for genetic diseases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhjPd4uNFY

...The video didn't really touch on some of the hot-button issues surrounding genetic engineering of people. :|

For example: It is difficult to quantify age-related death as a bad thing from an impersonal / long term perspective. The way that social progress tracks with generational turnover is very problematic here; by significantly putting the brakes on that turnover, we are also likely to stall out the erosion of social mores.

It's less a problem of 'What if the Kim dynasty made super soldiers?' and more of the problem of, 'What if the Kim dynasty was literally eternal, barring violent intervention? What if simply waiting-out a bad era was no longer an option?'

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Also also Phillip K Dick

Savages

i literally don't see how zootopia is particularly dickian

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Zootopia is Disney, not Pixar.

This discussion has been closed.