As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Andromeda Announced! Featuring EVEN HOTTER humanoid ship AI!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    @Asthariel

Is that a Hugo award winner from back when they made sense, or one of the recent ones where it's all just a bunch of crazy competing interest groups trying to get one of "theirs" through the process?

Also, having never read any of the ME books, have they been good quality? Or tie-in cash-trash?

The most recent set of that had the majority of them being authors who just make good work/are successful, and Theodore Beale trying to cash in on their success. None of the ones who actually align their beliefs with his won anything this year (and most of them got voted "No Award," which is "we'd rather no one win in this category than this fucker get anything.")

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I always loved the Claymore in the MP; point in a general direction and something probably dies. ANd that's before you even pull the trigger. Though I eventually adopted the Reegar eventually as my "make things disappear in front of me" weapon.

The Carnifex is my favourite sidearm, and finding out that there was a Triforce replica of it was just the greatest thing.

If money were no object, my next pick up would be an M-99 Saber with a built in sound function. Hit like a truck and had one of the most satisfying sound effects in the game (imo).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    @Asthariel

Is that a Hugo award winner from back when they made sense, or one of the recent ones where it's all just a bunch of crazy competing interest groups trying to get one of "theirs" through the process?

Also, having never read any of the ME books, have they been good quality? Or tie-in cash-trash?

Does she look like someone the Puppies would be into?

nk-jemisin.jpg

(Shes a very good writer and probably deserves the award. Haven't read that specific book yet though)

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Oh, N.K. Jemisin, I should have recognized that name! I have the audiobook of The Fifth Season and yeah, she's very, very good at worldbuilding and writing characters.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    it needed every mod to get it running well

damage, armor piercing, accuracy, stability...

this is because it was basically terrible on every front

Pretty much every rapid-fire gun was weak compared to high spike damage guns

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Piranha.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Pretty much every rapid-fire gun was weak compared to high spike damage guns

The Black Widow was the best.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The Revenant is great in 2 and 3. The problem with 3's is that they ruined the sound it makes, which was half of what was fun about it.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I ever fully upgraded a anything in multiplayer.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    The Revenant is great in 2 and 3. The problem with 3's is that they ruined the sound it makes, which was half of what was fun about it.

NO

The Revenant sounded rad in 3

It was just completely anemic compared to 2, had vastly too much recoil and not enough accuracy for how little damage it did in comparison to something like the DLC weapons, especially the Harrier, the Typhoon, and the Lancer

It bummed me out so bad

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    You know what weapon sounded rad in ME3? The Saber. Although according to the description, they are custom made for each spectre, it would've been nice if we could change it from Rifle to Sniper to Shotgun, however we wanted to play it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I'm an engineer. I use a pistol.

Well, I don't really use it as a pistol.

It's more of a handheld power magnifier that can also shoot things, if necessary.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Revenant is awesome. You just hold down the trigger and kill every guy. Then you use Adrenaline to fill up the clip and keep shooting, Commando style. If you're whining about range, please go be an Infiltrator, that's just silly talk.

In ME3 this is the case

In ME2 this is decidedly not the case and why I reloaded an earlier save so I could take a gun that wasn't terrible compared to the Mattock

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mattock is Ridiculous in ME2, especially compared to ME3.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I don't understand that at all

The revenant is a shadow of itself in 3

Well I mean

Maybe you're just too used to the mattock, which as i've said is so ridiculously OP that I can't even stand to use it

An actually balanced weapon might look shitty by comparison

• Options
    I don't understand that at all

The revenant is a shadow of itself in 3

Well I mean

Maybe you're just too used to the mattock, which as i've said is so ridiculously OP that I can't even stand to use it

An actually balanced weapon might look shitty by comparison

I'm used to guns that can hit things more than 20ft from me

The Revenant can't manage that for more than two shots before becoming a shotgun that fires pellets individually and that's with Adrenaline Rush up.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Well, as mentioned the accuracy gets better once you get the upgrade, which you pick up after three damage upgrades. You'd be shooting for that ASAP anyway and probably will have, or can have it alongside the Rev. That makes it reasonably accurate in the mid-range.

It's a question of playstyle I guess. I don't enjoy camping, and I love having to change weapons as I go, so something like the Rev that's great in short and mid range is great for me. Camping and sniping in heightened rush with mattock and widow is super powerful, but I don't enjoy it much.

Honestly, if you haven't saved over your file already, I'd say split the save, take one on each. Give the thing the old college try and be aggressive and mobile. It's very rewarding. If you still hate it, load up ye older widow file and go nuts.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I could never give up the Viper for the Widow as a soldier, even if I didn't love the almighty Rev. Adrenaline rush was like, oh, did I just empty the clip into the heads of everyone in the room? Yes, yes I did. Resume normal time.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Mattock was my go to gun in ME2.

Now I usually pick the Harrier in ME3. That or the fucking Falcon.

That said, there's only one weapon in the entire Mass Effect franchise that inspired me to write a short story for.

The Claymore
    By Mild Confusion
    Curly taught me the joys of claymore infiltrator. Amazing thing. I remember the first time I pugged with that build...

It was a beautiful day in Reactor. The radiation was glowing and the ammo boxes were full. Cerberus troops decided to meet us for a lunch-in, but we didn't bring the apple pie like we promised we would. Poor Suzie Stabkill, the Phantom leader, she was oh so looking forward to apple pie. Voices were raised and tempers soared. Next thing I know, Centurians were throwing smoke grenades to cover their Nemisis getting into sniping position and allow their engineer to set up their welcoming, greeter turret.

It was chaotic at first, my team and I didn't quite understand what was going on. We thought the Cerberus troops were going to set up the improv comedy act like they promised (we'd heard that the Guardian twins Rocky and Bulwark were an amazing act). But when the first bullet flew by, we got suspicious. After the second, we grew concerned. When the third bullet broke my shields and a red laser cut through the smoke to land on my head, I knew something was fishy.

After taking cover and allowing my shields to recharge, I told my squad mates that mayhaps our Cerberus friends weren't here to play anymore and that we may have to get rowdy. One of them replied with, "Duh!" and started shooting his wee pistol. Nonplussed, I peeked over cover and heard the greeter-turrets saying "Hello there," at 2,000 rounds-a-minute. I felt it was safer to cloak and move to a better location. Luckily, I brought my Krogan made M-300 Claymore ShotgunTM! Some of the others made scoffing sounds at using a one round shotgun that could break my arm, but I'd heard amazing stories of infamous soldiers throughout the galaxy who have used this weapon to amazing effect! "Infiltrators should use sniper rifles," they said. "What if you have two enemies at the same time? How will you take care of the other one?" they mocked. Well, I chose to prove them wrong!

So I peaked my cloaked head around the corner and saw the welcoming turret, I tossed a casual cryo blast and aimed my Claymore at its center mass, and pulled the trigger. The kickback was amazing! As I struggled with the recoil and attempted to load another round, I heard the sound of exploding metal and igniting ammunition as the turret was scattered in a friendly explosion, taking the engineer with it. "Well," I said to myself, "that's quite a sight to see!" And then I went to find the next target.

I noticed that my squadmates were being pressed from from the right of the landing pad, where Rocky and Bulwark were slowly moving towards my squadmates while a Nemisis took potshots from behind a crate. I figured they could take care of the Guardian Twins (I was so hoping to see their act today) and cloaked again and left to take care of the Nemisis. The poor thing was doing her best to kill us, but I just couldn't allow that to happen, it would ruin such a pleasant day. So I snuck up next to her and tossed her my lucky sticky-grenade. The sweet girl was so happy, that she did a flip and forgot to catch it! Well, it didn't matter, I aimed at her head and squeezed the trigger and blew all the happiness right off her shoulders.

That taken care of, I went back to rejoin my squadmates and I suprised to see that Rocky and Bulwark were still alive and that two of my squadmates were down on the gound hurt! It turns out that Suzie Stabkill had snuck behind them and sliced them with her monomolecular sword! Well, I of course had to help them, but those silly Guardian twins were in my way. How, oh how, can I take them both out when I only have one shot? Inspiration struck me then! I loaded an armor piercing mod that morning! Couldn't it be possible to shoot through one's shield and head and still be able to hit the other? I had a theory and now I needed to test that theory. Cloaking once again, I snuck beside them and lined up my shotgun. As I was getting ready to pull the trigger, I heard Bulwark make a joke, "Hey Rocky, what's the difference between my wife and a Banshee?"

"I don't know, what is it Bulwark?"

"I don't know either!"

Oh those guys! Always making jokes! So I pulled the trigger on my Claymore and watched their heads explode at the same time. Shame, I really wanted to see their act. After walking past the headless corpses of Rocky and Bulwark, I went to my downed squadmates and applied a bit of medigel to get them on their feet. "There is a phantom nearby!" One exclaimed as he gets behind cover to regenerate his shields. Well, that's fine, I should be able to cloak and find her. I peeked around the cover and spotted her taking potshots with her palm blaster at a squadmate of mine. He's doing his darndest to take her out, but Suzie Stabkill is very nimble, she's just dodging all his shots! I'd have to get really close in order to take her out.

I cloaked and snuck near her while she was distracted with my other squadmate. I had to be sure that she didn't dodge my single Claymore shot or else she'd run me through with that sword of hers and my-oh-my was it a scary looking thing! I got right next to her and tossed a sticky grenade. It stuck to her, but she tried to dodge anyhow. Then the grenade exploded and staggered her barrier. As I lined up the shot on her head, I heard Suzie state the words, "Apple pie..." I'm so glad that her last thought was of something nice before I scattered it around the reactor.

As I walked back towards my squadmates to see if they were ok, I saw one of them inspect my equipment and state the phrase, "What the fuck?"

It was a beautiful day.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I finally got around to finishing my ME1 renegade playthrough. I stopped right before Vermire, for some reason. I had done all the side stuff (I'm fairly certain I've completed every quest at this point). Who knows why I didn't finish it.

Man, the renegade ending is just dripping with space racism. I did enjoy letting the ascension get destroyed though.

My post mortem for this playthrough:

Engi skills suck. Don't ever play a class that is part engineer in ME1. On harder difficulties and higher levels the abilities just don't do anything. I feel like the gameplay aspect of the abilities is balanced around them also giving you electronics and hacking and they're useless as a result. Take Garrus/Tali/Kaidan with you instead and play a real class instead, IMO. I'm hoping this changes in ME2 and my infiltrator will be more fun to play there.

I don't think this game really needs an HD remake on PC. I don't think the game would fare well if it was transitioned to the gameplay style of the later games; it just wasn't designed with that style of gameplay in mind. The Models are still decent, and the textures are mostly ok (there are some glaring exceptions, where a way-too-low-rez texture is stretched across a large object, but that's not super common). The kinds of changes that need to happen are more level-design related changes that are a bit out of scope for a remake type project. The only graphical improvement that would have a large impact would be lighting. The game is using a very simple lighting model (almost always only one dynamic source per scene, with judicious use of specular mapping with a thick slathering of bloom on top). A proper dynamic lighting model with high quality AO would improve the visuals greatly. There are also a number of pre-rendered scenes that are VHS quality that should have probably just been done in-engine (the mass effect relay jump stands out, as there is an in engine version of the same scene when you jump into Ilos and it looks so much better. At the end of the day the game still looks good and it runs well on modern pcs.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Mattock is baloney in 2 because it's a paid gun. Comparing Revenant to it is like comparing FTP equipment in a mobile game to the whale stuff.

• Options
    Well, as mentioned the accuracy gets better once you get the upgrade, which you pick up after three damage upgrades. You'd be shooting for that ASAP anyway and probably will have, or can have it alongside the Rev. That makes it reasonably accurate in the mid-range.

It's a question of playstyle I guess. I don't enjoy camping, and I love having to change weapons as I go, so something like the Rev that's great in short and mid range is great for me. Camping and sniping in heightened rush with mattock and widow is super powerful, but I don't enjoy it much.

Honestly, if you haven't saved over your file already, I'd say split the save, take one on each. Give the thing the old college try and be aggressive and mobile. It's very rewarding. If you still hate it, load up ye older widow file and go nuts.

Oh no, I gave it until the end of the collector ship before reloading and taking the Widow.

Don't get me wrong run and gun in their face was a blast as a vanguard.

Doing that with a soldier just makes me wonder why I'm not playing a vanguard :P
    Mattock is baloney in 2 because it's a paid gun. Comparing Revenant to it is like comparing FTP equipment in a mobile game to the whale stuff.

I'd argue it's overpowered because it acts like a rifle in the sense that bullets actually go where I'm aiming :P

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

Eh, it does fine with a simple damage boost/AP combo. Works best against Reapers (melts Brutes and Banshees) but it has decent cover-based accuracy

I use the Revenant as a close-quarters fuck-you gun and it's actually pretty amazing at closer ranges, especially with armour piercing. The AI can't handle armour-pierced cover for nothing, they flip the fuck out, come out from behind cover to find other cover to flip the fuck out behind somewhere else, and the whole time you can just hold down the trigger and watch their health melt.

It's not a god-tier gun but it's still fun to use and entirely viable, same as the ME3 Mattock.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    I actually love the Revenant in ME3MP, N7 Destroyer+Revenant is a walking dakka dispenser

It's not the most effective thing but that's why you play with Curly

Every once in awhile Curly will appear and clear a spawn then then vanish but for the most part you can just sorta leisurely walk around cleaning up stragglers with endless dakka

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    I finally got around to finishing my ME1 renegade playthrough. I stopped right before Vermire, for some reason. I had done all the side stuff (I'm fairly certain I've completed every quest at this point). Who knows why I didn't finish it.

Man, the renegade ending is just dripping with space racism. I did enjoy letting the ascension get destroyed though.

Engi skills suck. Don't ever play a class that is part engineer in ME1. On harder difficulties and higher levels the abilities just don't do anything. I feel like the gameplay aspect of the abilities is balanced around them also giving you electronics and hacking and they're useless as a result. Take Garrus/Tali/Kaidan with you instead and play a real class instead, IMO. I'm hoping this changes in ME2 and my infiltrator will be more fun to play there.

I don't think this game really needs an HD remake on PC. I don't think the game would fare well if it was transitioned to the gameplay style of the later games; it just wasn't designed with that style of gameplay in mind. The Models are still decent, and the textures are mostly ok (there are some glaring exceptions, where a way-too-low-rez texture is stretched across a large object, but that's not super common). The kinds of changes that need to happen are more level-design related changes that are a bit out of scope for a remake type project. The only graphical improvement that would have a large impact would be lighting. The game is using a very simple lighting model (almost always only one dynamic source per scene, with judicious use of specular mapping with a thick slathering of bloom on top). A proper dynamic lighting model with high quality AO would improve the visuals greatly. There are also a number of pre-rendered scenes that are VHS quality that should have probably just been done in-engine (the mass effect relay jump stands out, as there is an in engine version of the same scene when you jump into Ilos and it looks so much better. At the end of the day the game still looks good and it runs well on modern pcs.

Yeah I mean I'd really love it if they redid ME1 with ME3 mechanics

But they'd almost have to build the game over again from the ground up and I just don't see them doing that.

• Options

Yeah I mean I'd really love it if they redid ME1 with ME3 mechanics

But they'd almost have to build the game over again from the ground up and I just don't see them doing that.

I don't even want them to do that. I get that ME1 has warts, I really didn't enjoy playing my engi run all that much because of them, but at the same time I like it being different from the other games. Just like, if you ever go back and replay ME1 do it as a vanguard or a biotic.

One other thing I have questions about: Are the statues on Ilos supposed to be protheans? Did they just change what protheans look like by ME2/3?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah, they did.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Protheans were the ultimate space trolls. They made all those statues just to fuck with people.

• Options
    They need to let us play as Elcor in Andromeda.

Elcor vanguards. The biotic charge would be inspirational.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Mattock is baloney in 2 because it's completely unbalanced compared to every other gun in the game, even the other DLC guns.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The beauty of the Claymore is it's a human designed gun for Krogan.

Best of both worlds.

• Options
    I dislike the fact that the dlc weapons and equipment exists, and I have all of them. I wish the gameplay was just balanced properly out of the gate.

Also, pre-rendered but rendered-using-the-game-engine-and-then-recorded-via-VHS-tape cutscenes really need to go.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I don't think I ever picked up the DLC that had the harrier in it.

Youtubing it.....yeah it looks lethal

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    One other thing I have questions about: Are the statues on Ilos supposed to be protheans? Did they just change what protheans look like by ME2/3?
    I think the Codex or some dialogue in ME3 says that world used to be inhabited by the I Forgot Their Name, and the Protheans either conquered them and moved in, or found the ruins as they were, making them to the Protheans what the Protheans were for us.

So yeah, they were meant to be Protheans, but aside from official word from devs, there was nothing to say so, so they retconned it fairly well.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I don't think I ever picked up the DLC that had the harrier in it.

Youtubing it.....yeah it looks lethal
    The Harrier is Auto-Mattock.

All shall bow before it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    The best part about the DLC guns in ME3 is that they were all free to unlock and use in the Multiplayer, which really does seem like the best advertising for its sale in singleplayer

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Skimmed over the thread looking to see if anybody else might have mentioned this, so I might have missed it if somebody did. Buuuuuut....

Anybody wanna cuddle a Krogan?

7gubeahj3rw8.jpg

Good to see the Bioware Store is still putting out new materials from the older games!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    They need to let us play as Elcor in Andromeda.

Elcor vanguards. The biotic charge would be inspirational.

In my head-canon, an Elcor biotic charge is same speed as a normal, non-biotic human charge, but with more shiny mass effect sparkles. This in no way diminishes it's glory.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    The best part about the DLC guns in ME3 is that they were all free to unlock and use in the Multiplayer, which really does seem like the best advertising for its sale in singleplayer

The only DLCs I never bought were the gun DLCs. I like character customization, but not that much.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Anybody wanna cuddle a Krogan?

@cambiata so I'm thinking on the dresser or...

This discussion has been closed.