Options

[Chat] Hotel

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    mh2Rf4c.jpg

I don't think so

Why are there so many cute friendly dogs and cats in hell

to delude you into thinking you're in a good place before your child gets bone cancer

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    no memes

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    What about this unrealistic ethical scenario:

You will have an opportunity for advancement by utterly destroying another human being's emotional and economical well being

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    no memes, no masters

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Also the only thing I like about thought experiments is picking them apart

the trolley problem is just a way to have a shouting match devolve into a full on fistfight between kantists and utilitarians

I would throw the first chair

but the answer is "tell the dude to move"

That's the answer. Whoever made the thought experiment may not like it but fuck that guy

no it is not because the thought experiment includes "they cannot be warned in time"

because you're out of earshot obviously

If you have time to analyze this entire scenario and make a decision they can be warned in time

and what if the reader is Italian there is no way they're out of earshot

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    does the hillary dopplegangar have a clever name

Shrillary $$Clinton$$

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    ok i fixed this problem last week and now i cant remember where the damn setting was

excel people: somehow a file got messed up and now when you click in a cell to edit the text in it it deletes the contents of the cell instead of letting you edit what is there. how do i stop it from doing that? google isnt helping.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/505471-double-click-cell-erases-contents.html

tldr if it's not the code make sure it's not hidden (last post)

was hidden.

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I always assumed they were tied to the tracks or something.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Work hasn't updated the online cafeteria menu for this week. I have to actually go down there and see what food is being offered.

I expect the person responsible will be fired.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

You will have an opportunity for advancement by utterly destroying another human being's emotional and economical well being

Where?!?

• Options
    maybe all the people on the tracks are disabled immigrants who rely on the government dole

this adds another dimension to your personal ethics in how you answer

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Is it unethical to save the life of a person if you're a time traveller and they're in immediate danger but you know that in your future they die at this moment? Do you risk destroying the time stream for that? Is it the right thing to do, or not?

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

the trolley problem is just a way to have a shouting match devolve into a full on fistfight between kantists and utilitarians

That's the answer. Whoever made the thought experiment may not like it but fuck that guy

I'm honestly not sure if you're being purposefully obtuse or not.

Ok, so the conductor / brain in a vat is controlling the scenario from a switchbox a mile away, watching via camera, and has no means of communication. Purposefully missing the point doesn't do anything to alter the subject of the thought experiment, it just asks the people involved to entertain meaningless and distracting hypothetical scenarios.

the brain in the vat is at the wheel of the trolley. Not a mile away.

Look I didn't write any of this

• Options
    rockrnger wrote: »

Where?!?

every single management position everywhere

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

While not necessarily illegal, it is certainly frowned upon to fart on a coworker's paycheck.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Shrillary $$Clinton$$

we can go deeper

$hrill-angry ¢LIE-ton

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »

I'm honestly not sure if you're being purposefully obtuse or not.

Ok, so the conductor / brain in a vat is controlling the scenario from a switchbox a mile away, watching via camera, and has no means of communication. Purposefully missing the point doesn't do anything to alter the subject of the thought experiment, it just asks the people involved to entertain meaningless and distracting hypothetical scenarios.

also lud is reading a joke one like it's the real one

trolley headed for five men, who will not see the trolley in time

can be diverted towards one man, who especially does not expect a trolley and will not be able to get out the way either

they're far too far away to run to them and shout, you have no other way of warning them in time because the trolley is coming now but you have the lever.

that is the problem.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ok i fixed this problem last week and now i cant remember where the damn setting was

excel people: somehow a file got messed up and now when you click in a cell to edit the text in it it deletes the contents of the cell instead of letting you edit what is there. how do i stop it from doing that? google isnt helping.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/505471-double-click-cell-erases-contents.html

tldr if it's not the code make sure it's not hidden (last post)

was hidden.

Hm.

Google seemed to work fine for me.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

Shrillary $$Clinton$$

we can go deeper

$hrill-angry ¢LIE-tons-of-skeletons-in-the-closet

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    mh2Rf4c.jpg

I don't think so

Why are there so many cute friendly dogs and cats in hell

Why would pet cats and dogs die if this weren't hell.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Shrillary $$Clinton$$

we can go deeper

$hrill-angry ¢LIE-ton

Too deep! Too deep!

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rzIwrEqpw

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Look Wesley fucking Crusher in Star Trek was given basically the trolley scenario for his academy training in Star Trek and he told the one guy to fuck off without much hesitation at all so it can't be that hard

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Is there a trolley problem / multitrack drifting mashup?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Is the classic construction of the trolley problem such that you have to hit the switch to change to the track with one person but if you do nothing the trolley hits the five people?

I have read so many versions of it at this point I don't know what the point of the original was.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    rockrnger wrote: »

Where?!?

every single management position everywhere

And to think I have been doing it for free.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • Options
    Is the classic construction of the trolley problem such that you have to hit the switch to change to the track with one person but if you do nothing the trolley hits the five people?

I have read so many versions of it at this point I don't know what the point of the original was.

Well there are three tracks but you don't know what's on them, and you are shown what's on one of the tracks that you don't choose, then you are given the choice of changing tracks

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Is there a trolley problem / multitrack drifting mashup?

There is, actually

Always have faith in the Internet

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    GL5XYDL.jpg

Let Jesus take the wheel. It is in God's hands now.

Also, God's a bit miffed at the abomination his creations have birthed, taking the brain of one of his sons or daughters and hooking it up to a turn of the century locomotive, reducing it's existence to one of mindless servitude in which it's free will is restricted to an artificially binary set of morally ambiguous choi-oooooooohhhhh.

Houn on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    who is the trolley problem even written for

• Options
    If the 5 people die you get sbarro, if the one person dies you get papa johns

• Options
    Also there is an out of control trolley and it doesn't have some sort of emergency horn or bell? What libertarian hellhole with no safety standards does this guy live in

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Exactly.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I would press the button to kill someone else for 1 million dollars if and only if I had a signed contract from the person with the box stating that no one in my family would be selected for any current or future box.

I would sacrifice one person to save ten or more people, provided I did not know or care about that person.

If I knew/cared for that person, I would sacrifice up to 1000 people to save them, possibly more.

Did I pass the test?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

Shrillary $$Clinton$$

shrillary is a really good one I think

packages up some nasty thoughts about women in authority and plops it right into her name

• Options
  • Options

no it is not because the thought experiment includes "they cannot be warned in time"

because you're out of earshot obviously

If you have time to analyze this entire scenario and make a decision they can be warned in time

and what if the reader is Italian there is no way they're out of earshot

I specifically said they cannot be warned in time. How much deliberation time you have was not stated; all you've been told about how much time you have is that it is not enough to warn them.

Look if you're going to pick something apart, don't do so by just pretending/being obtuse and dumb for the sake of it.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    the base trolley problem is easy, we face it in real life all the time... the general practice is you let people boned by fate be boned

if you start deciding peoples fate you get sued

duh

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Jesus, hold my hoops

This discussion has been closed.