Options

[Chat] Hotel

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    For all my love of classic sci-fi. And of William Shatner especially. I've just never really enjoyed ToS. Something about it just rubbed me the wrong way. Probably cause I watched TNG as my first real Star Trek show. So to me, that is default Trek. Guess that would make me a Trekker not a Trekkie.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    but that doesn't really seem like it's about systemic oppression as much as it is about war

The discussion around it is--like the character's reason for fighting is that she's part of a subspecies that is only used for building shit to serve the elite class, and isn't permitted to do anything else or even think of themselves as being capable of anything else.

Idk it was just a weird episode that I didn't like, except for the cool character design.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Also, [chat] you should know i am still totally digging Steven Universe and really enjoyed the episode fragment about Peridot and Lapis having a barn full of ridiculous modern art. However, I did not really like the message of the episode about Bismuth and the limitation on acceptable ways of taking down systemic oppression.

what was its opinion on acceptable ways of taking down systemic oppression

It had a weird objection to using lethal weapons in what I thought was an all-out war where the oppressive side was using lethal weapons (but the oppressed side was only using non-lethal weapons?)
    Maybe it was just presented without enough context (because the characters are all these immortal-except-killed entities who can be killed or just put into a dormant state. I think the oppressor side just kills and the oppressed side puts them into a dormant state (indefinitely...)?)
    When a character comes up with a weapon that kills, the protagonist is super freaked out and puts her into the dormant state, which just seemed kinda fucked up.

I mean on the face of it it's not entirely weird

the fact that others do is not usually a compelling argument to compromise your own morals

Yeah, I mean it makes sense given the characters (like the main dude is a tween empath; he's not going to be ok with killing). It also summoned weird parallels to the discourse on 'acceptable ways for black people to fight the system', which is partially from the show's casting/character design/writing and partially summoned entirely from connections made in my head from being an american person at this point in time.

well

acceptable ways for american black people to fight the system doesn't really include taking up arms and starting with political terrorism, does it?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    While driving on the highway during a heavy thunderstorm I saw an SUV lose control, flipped once and crashed into a ditch. I didn't stop to try and pull over to help because it was raining hard and I would have to cross two lanes to pull over, felt bad about it.

honestly if you aren't trained you run the risk of causing more harm anyway (not saying you're guaranteed to, just)

best to just call 911 and report it

Every first aid instructor I've ever had would disagree with you, at volume

the risk of you making things worse is nothing compared to the likelihood of the benefit of even untrained help

well that's incredibly inconvenient for me

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    ok we're about to do paleo lunch let's see how long before i'm hungry again

my money's on 45 seconds

The trick is to eat more

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    For all my love of classic sci-fi. And of William Shatner especially. I've just never really enjoyed ToS. Something about it just rubbed me the wrong way. Probably cause I watched TNG as my first real Star Trek show. So to me, that is default Trek. Guess that would make me a Trekker not a Trekkie.

Picard-chan

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    Of course I say you should all watch that while watching best TOS episode ever (doomsday machine)

TOS?

Picard-Facepalm.png

That's TNG!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    we have a different view here in the states

most places you can get sued if you try to help and something goes wrong

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Sounds like the kind of thing you would get out of anime. Passivity and all that.

I can think of two big examples (Kenshin and Trigun) where that same idea of never resorting to lethal force played a huge part in the resolution of conflict.
    If SU were an anime
    Steven would ultimately have to end up using the gem-killing device, yes. I will be incredibly surprised if Steven himself chooses that decision in a western animation though.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Also, [chat] you should know i am still totally digging Steven Universe and really enjoyed the episode fragment about Peridot and Lapis having a barn full of ridiculous modern art. However, I did not really like the message of the episode about Bismuth and the limitation on acceptable ways of taking down systemic oppression.

what was its opinion on acceptable ways of taking down systemic oppression

It had a weird objection to using lethal weapons in what I thought was an all-out war where the oppressive side was using lethal weapons (but the oppressed side was only using non-lethal weapons?)
    Maybe it was just presented without enough context (because the characters are all these immortal-except-killed entities who can be killed or just put into a dormant state. I think the oppressor side just kills and the oppressed side puts them into a dormant state (indefinitely...)?)
    When a character comes up with a weapon that kills, the protagonist is super freaked out and puts her into the dormant state, which just seemed kinda fucked up.

I mean on the face of it it's not entirely weird

the fact that others do is not usually a compelling argument to compromise your own morals

Yeah, I mean it makes sense given the characters (like the main dude is a tween empath; he's not going to be ok with killing). It also summoned weird parallels to the discourse on 'acceptable ways for black people to fight the system', which is partially from the show's casting/character design/writing and partially summoned entirely from connections made in my head from being an american person at this point in time.

well

acceptable ways for american black people to fight the system doesn't really include taking up arms and starting with political terrorism, does it?

A lot of people don't like that approach, no.

idk where I'm going here, really.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Today is my one year anniversary with the gf! Sadly she is at rehearsal until 10 pm and is leaving for another month on Friday.

She is a non materialistic ascetic so I am going to just give her a bunch of really nice vegan-ish chocolate, which is her only indulgence. Maybe I'll get champagne and peer pressure her into drinking it.

what.....does vegan-ish chocolate even entail

like they don't use milk, sure. are there other common animal products used to make chocolate?

Not that I'm aware of. You can even sub out the milk and make something that tastes almost exactly like milk chocolate using sugar and palm oil.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    kwWvYJ4.jpg

But those nails ARE fab

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    when I was pretty little my mom pulled over to help in a really bad accident before first responders got there, she definitely saved some shmuck from bleeding out

my mom is a drama queen and hyper reactionary person just like me, but she's also a competent medical professional who has saved many lives over a long career for shit pay and now thinking about this I'm upset again at how her employer is treating her

override367 on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    a:tla's ending. . .

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    While driving on the highway during a heavy thunderstorm I saw an SUV lose control, flipped once and crashed into a ditch. I didn't stop to try and pull over to help because it was raining hard and I would have to cross two lanes to pull over, felt bad about it.

honestly if you aren't trained you run the risk of causing more harm anyway (not saying you're guaranteed to, just)

the risk of you making things worse is nothing compared to the likelihood of the benefit of even untrained help

well, yes. Stop and help. If you're worried about not knowing what to do, take a first aid course. The main point of those are that even if you forget most of it, that you'll be like "right I know sorta what to do" and you start to do things

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I thought good Samarition laws were pretty common

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Looking at my mirrors I did see some cars in the lane the SUV was in pull over. I felt it was too risky trying to slow down and cross over a couple of lanes in the rain.

• Options

maybe i'm thinking specifically of when i worked in a restaurant at a nursing home

but yeah, it was drilled into our heads not to help

• Options
    Yeah, mostly I just thought the bit about the art in the barn is the fucking best and Peridot is also the best. Really pleased to have found a show that elicits this much emotion.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

well, yes. Stop and help. If you're worried about not knowing what to do, take a first aid course. The main point of those are that even if you forget most of it, that you'll be like "right I know sorta what to do" and you start to do things

There are really only two things to know if you're untrained. If there's no danger of them being hurt more, don't move them. If there is danger of them being hurt more, only move them enough to get them out of danger.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

its okay if you fuck up just shoot the victim and claim you were scared for your life, then they can't sue you

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    The odder bit is that that is my opinion of the tv series'.

But when it comes to the movies. Nothing in the TNG stable comes close to Khan or Voyage Home. Hell, I think I like The Motion Picture (With its 15 min of tracking shots filler) more than most of the TNG movies.

• Options

To expand on that, in WA state you are legally obligated to stop and help if you have the training to do so.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9djuORzi9rU
    how can you not say this is bes?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

honestly, I'm not so sure this is actually true

I mean unless you are a bona fide moron and you, I don't know, try to help by defibrillating the man with the broken legs by hooking him up to the mains

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Palm oil is apparently a bit evil, environmentally speaking

Thankfully she is into dark chocolate, as any right thinking person of taste would be, so it's always mostly cocoa anyway

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    My mom always used to do our dogs nails.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    kwWvYJ4.jpg

But those nails ARE fab

Fyi this is fake the application job is too perfect for a child and I recognize the product that was actually used

https://www.amazon.com/GLITTER-Purrdy-Paws-protectors-Supply/dp/B00E8GH05A

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I've never been in such a situation, but i assume if you called 911 you would be put in touch with someone that could like, talk you through basic first aid stuff? obviously knowing basic first aid stuff already would be better

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Palm oil is apparently a bit evil, environmentally speaking

Thankfully she is into dark chocolate, as any right thinking person of taste would be

palm oil is trying its best to match the ecological damage of petroleum oil

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Just tell everyone Santa Claus isn't real while you're at it DK!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Just an FYI, it's a felony if you don't help over here.

• Options
    A lot of people don't like that approach, no.

idk where I'm going here, really.
    That passivity - while noble and to an extent keeping the individual blameless - in the face of oppression allows the oppression to continue, and only through action and potentially blame-worthy actions can you end the oppression?

There is an ethical dilemma in teaching children to turn the other cheek and always be the better person, as in the real world this regularly does not come out well for the individual.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

32 states so fairly

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    This new phone doesn't have a button to mute the ringtone. My old phone is a relic of a more civilised age.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    kwWvYJ4.jpg

But those nails ARE fab

Fyi this is fake the application job is too perfect for a child and I recognize the product that was actually used

https://www.amazon.com/GLITTER-Purrdy-Paws-protectors-Supply/dp/B00E8GH05A

I am not ready to accept that someone would just lie on the internet!

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    a:tla's ending. . .
    Counterpoint: Korra s1 ending.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    now to find a gem pun with kwisatz haderach

quisartz haderach

it's like you're not even trying p10

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ugh, spoiled for stress + relationship stuff
    Despite it feeling early, I've been increasingly wishing I could move in with Querry like, now. We originally talked about it abstractly a few months ago, because my lease ends in late July, so that put it into our heads. We didn't actually bring it up until a bit after that, and the conclusion was basically "yeah, that would've been too early, but next year around then sounds like a good date to shoot for, if things are still going well." We separately came to those conclusions. But the thought of it has been cropping up more lately, for a variety of reasons, and now we both would really like to, even though it doesn't make sense, so we've got another yearish before we can.

But anyway, it's extremely stressful not to, and causes a not small amount of pining. A lot of this is tied to work, which has just kicked up a thousand percent. We both periodically have twelve hour days, and come home too exhausted to really interact with each other in the ways we're used to. There are a lot of times when I just want to eat and then go to bed with her, but I never get that on the days I really need it, and we both have to scavenge or cook for ourselves even when we get home at nine, and the other person always feels weird and wishes they could be there for practical and emotional support.

Basically life is stressful and I wish I could come home to her consistently, and spend exhausted nights snuggling into her and falling asleep, instead of exhaustedly trying to Skype and watch TV and then sleeping alone.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Just an FYI, it's a felony if you don't help over here.

God you guys are real nazis about that kind of thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.