Options

Always the backup, never the [chat]

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    When I worked coffee shops, the first time I encountered a Canadian after a "double double" was a confusing experience

Especially because "double cream" implies something completely different in UK English

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    When I worked coffee shops, the first time I encountered a Canadian after a "double double" was a confusing experience

Especially because "double cream" implies something completely different in UK English

Do

Do I wanna know

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    My grandparents would park in the school parking lot and when I'd get off school. I'd just look for the big conversion van with the Stone Mountain carving air brushed onto the hood and walk over and get taken home.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OH MY JESUS

SO MUCH MAKES SENSE NOW

wow

did you know stone mountain was originally built as a KKK monument and meet-up locale?

hooray for the south!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    "Occidentalism" is a word I use every now and then.

Sounds like it would be a white guy talking about who the real racists are.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Do

Do I wanna know

It implies you want a double stuffed oreo.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Do

Do I wanna know

If you buy cream in the UK you get (in ascending order of thickness) single, double, whipping, spooning, or clotted cream.

So "double cream" implies the kind of cream you would pour over fruit or a dessert and probably wouldn't find in a coffee shop.

• Options

Do

Do I wanna know

If you buy cream in the UK you get (in ascending order of thickness) single, double, whipping, spooning, or clotted cream.

So "double cream" implies the kind of cream you would pour over fruit or a dessert and probably wouldn't find in a coffee shop.

Ah

That's much more benign than I'd feared

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    My grandparents would park in the school parking lot and when I'd get off school. I'd just look for the big conversion van with the Stone Mountain carving air brushed onto the hood and walk over and get taken home.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OH MY JESUS

SO MUCH MAKES SENSE NOW

wow

did you know stone mountain was originally built as a KKK monument and meet-up locale?

hooray for the south!

I'm sorry if heritage sites honoring war heroes offend you lib!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OH MY JESUS

SO MUCH MAKES SENSE NOW

wow

hooray for the south!

There's a memorial plaque marking the spot where Hitler is believed to be buried

• Options
    Also hitting the Moon without any guidance computers is super hard you guys

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

did you try aiming for it

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

No no.

You aim for the stars

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    narwhal try to launch your rockets during a full moon when it's bigger hth

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    rockrnger wrote: »

No no.

You aim for the stars

hqdefault.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

A moving target at 2200mph is a tricky proposition

• Options

I did

But that worked, like, easily the least of everything I've tried so far

That rocket went really far

And then came back down really fast

• Options

I did

more boosters then

my favorite thing to do is use the jet engines to get me into the upper atmosphere (far more fuel efficient than boosters and rocket engines)

and then use SRBs to get me into orbit, and then I have a full tank to get me to the moon

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OH MY JESUS

SO MUCH MAKES SENSE NOW

wow

hooray for the south!

There's a memorial plaque marking the spot where Hitler is believed to be buried

It's the second most urinated-on spot in Europe, behind the Blarney Stone.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

I did

more boosters then

my favorite thing to do is use the jet engines to get me into the upper atmosphere (far more fuel efficient than boosters and rocket engines)

and then use SRBs to get me into orbit, and then I have a full tank to get me to the moon

It DOES work really well

But it feels so wrong

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

I mean

it's fucking huge

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Try not to aim for the moon itself, but for the spot in the sky where the moon will be when the rocket gets there.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Mommy have two pee pee.

• Options

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OH MY JESUS

SO MUCH MAKES SENSE NOW

wow

hooray for the south!

It's actually where the Furherbunker was, but otherwise can confirm

It's in the front yard of a block of flats

• Options
    get into the moons orbit then speed up

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Try not to aim for the moon itself, but for the spot in the sky where the moon will be when the rocket gets there.

This upsets me because it's so close to a good idea

But also really far from one

• Options
    If you've ever played Hearts you know it's very hard to shoot the moon.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    it's not about where you aim it

but when you launch it

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

that's actually how it works tho

you use a hohmann transfer orbit then burn when you get to the point where you line up to where the moon will be in regards to the delta from your speed and the moons speed or some other boring bullshit physics math

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/22327618#Comment_22327618

this is how you used to land on the moon in kerbal space program before they had fancy shmancy lander legs and whatnot

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The bad scifi book cover conversation from earlier reminded me of something.

Remember when scifi and fantasy book covers would often have naked people (usually but not always women) as long as they were in profile or their naught bits were strategically covered by scenery? Every cover artist wanted to be Boris Vallejo.

Several years back in a public library science fiction section i stumbled across a book from the 1970s, it was a pulp science fiction novel and the cover art was done in a Vallejo-ish style. It depicted a robot with several nude women clinging to it, apparently enthralled, and the robot itself was just phallic-shaped enough to obviously be a metal penis ithout running afoul of censors.

I wish I could find it again because it was so hilariously absurdly 70s and weirdly misogynist. I didn't read the book because it looked terrible but I'm still curious what inspired the cover artist to paint naked women worshipping a robot dick.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    The bad scifi book cover conversation from earlier reminded me of something.

Remember when scifi and fantasy book covers would often have naked people (usually but not always women) as long as they were in profile or their naught bits were strategically covered by scenery? Every cover artist wanted to be Boris Vallejo.

Several years back in a public library science fiction section i stumbled across a book from the 1970s, it was a pulp science fiction novel and the cover art was done in a Vallejo-ish style. It depicted a robot with several nude women clinging to it, apparently enthralled, and the robot itself was just phallic-shaped enough to obviously be a metal penis ithout running afoul of censors.

I wish I could find it again because it was so hilariously absurdly 70s and weirdly misogynist. I didn't read the book because it looked terrible but I'm still curious what inspired the cover artist to paint naked women worshipping a robot dick.
    That was totally a thing for so long!

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

you use a hohmann transfer orbit then burn when you get to the point where you line up to where the moon will be in regards to the delta from your speed and the moons speed or some other boring bullshit physics math

6th grade was when I realized I couldn't be a scientist of any sort, and this is why.

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »

6th grade was when I realized I couldn't be a scientist of any sort, and this is why.

I mean.. it's fun math

but I don't want to do it in my free time

I want to get fucking paid

• Options

That's correct, and that's almost what knitdan said!

Whereas I interpreted as shooting it at where the Moon will be ... as fast as I possibly can.

Which is problematic unless I take a lot more rocket to hit the brakes at the far end. >_>

• Options
    *turns on mech jeb and makes cool spaceships instead*

• Options
    Pokemon Red and Blue come so close to having perfect synchronization

For those who never played, the main gimmick of having two releases is because not all 150 pokemon are present in a single game. For example in a field in Red you might get an Ekans, but in Blue the same field would yield Vulpix

So in that way it encourages you to trade with someone of the other colour in order to fill out your Pokedex.

And there are a couple of choices which underline this! You can choose Hitmonlee and your friend choses Hitmonchan and then you swap together! You choose Kabuto and your friend Praises Helix, and you swap to fill out! Great!

Except for the three-way choices that exist, namely the choice of starter and which evolution to apply to Eevee. Because these are tenary and not binary choices, a Red and Blue collaborating together can only expect to have 148 Pokemon in their Pokedex, unless one chooses to start from the beginning again.

Feels like a hairline fracture in the logic of trading between the games.

• Options
    hohmann requires you to time shit right though, which is annoying going out of your local planetary gravity well

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    try to aim for where the moon thinks you'll never find it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.