Options

[Path of Exile] Cats on Damage Taken

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    fuuuuck my sweep slayer ripped becuase I'm stupid and keep forgetting I dont have capped cold resist and got gang banged by sea witches. this is of course right after pondering if I should use the alpha howl I just found.....god dammit...

Also I'm surprised I never hear more about sweep builds. I feel like its superior to cyclone is almost every way, I had no issue slaughtering things in low tier maps with just a 4 link doomsower with increased aoe gem to boot. I was having so much fun with it I think I'm gonna just keep leveling him in pleb standard for map practice.

Hegemony is big on the leap sweeper. It needs a ton of attack speed to really take off but it's a solid build once you're there

I had 72% attack speed without faster attacks or attack speed on my gloves and was doing amazingly. blood rage, frenzy charges, onslaught from Bane of Legends and ancestral protector totem were more than enough to give me insane clear speeds. Build had tons of room to grow too. Man I wanna make a new one but I sorta wanna wait and see what the melee changes are gonna be whenever they release them. That was probably the most fun I've had playing poe in awhile.
    anoffday wrote: »
    Anyone know of any sites with good beginner builds? I'm looking for something that tells me what items to look for, where to put my skill points, etc. I'm pretty clueless. I started a witch, and I'd like to do some kind of fire build.

I would usually just see what kind of ability I would want to use and google "poe <insert ability> <insert patch>, so like "poe sweep 2.4" or something and it would usually show several build threads on the main forum.

Alternatively you could just skip the googling and check the main class forums: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum

plenty of guides and most of them have in depth explanations on everything from gear to how to level, skill trees, gem set up, videos, ect.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    What were the changes to blade vortex that made it the flavor of the month?

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Is anyone else interested in joining Winged Ancients / Rabble? @themightypuck and @Pacificstar have both been recruited. Send "Hefftex" a tell if interested.

Puck's BV build is great until he's not paying attention and gets out of range of my buff bot when running T12's. Then he goes poof!

I would but I'm on vacation for the next couple of weeks. Perhaps when I get back home?

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I started a BV Pathfinder and after about five levels of using BV (grabbed the aoe nodes at witch and use an Inc AoE support) I fucking hate it

it's the worst playstyle. click a few times move through mobs and wait. click a few times move into mobs and wait. click a bunch of times and run around the boss and wait.

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy playing it

the damage is good with practically no investment. it's still just good with a decent focus on gear.

it's the least interesting build I've ever played and I think I'm going to respec the Pathfinder into a fireball Dying Sun build after I've spent the next month and a half playing builds that are actually fun.

Sounds like you had the exact same experience I did when I tried out BV pathfinder during Prophecy. If it just lasted maybe 5-10 seconds longer so you weren't stopping to cast so often.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Honestly the ideal goal of most builds is to h
    Aktn Bstrd wrote: »

They reduced max charges from 50 to 25 and increased damage by 60%. It was intended to be a nerf to boss killing power, but it didn't really hurt that much while actually great improving mapping speed.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

They reduced the max number of blades from 50 to 20, and gave it a 50% damage increase to compensate. So the break even point is 20 blades now = 30 blades before.

I ran a BV build last league, crit-assassin and later swapped over to tri-curse/poison with Cospris and Heretics Veil. It was super powerful and slaughtered bosses. However, with almost all of my mana reserved, and a mana cost of 66 per cast, I typically only kept up 6-12 blades on trash. I rarely got above 30 blades except on really tanky bosses that didn't require much movement, which were rare before and non-existent now. So overall, the damage went up, and it became much much easier to keep that damage going.

Right now I'm leveling a crit-assassin Vortex (not BV) build using Pyre to convert the initial hit to fire, so I double dip for the ignite off of both spell and elemental damage. I'm wondering if I shouldn't run dual Consuming Darks and an Infernal Mantle for the 75% fire-chaos poisons.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I ripped my last Reave assassin to Dominus on cruel because I whirled into a wall when he was winding up his slam

second Reave assassin is going strong into normal Malachai. I really like viper strike for single target. Especially on essence mobs where you can get a bunch of stacks up real fast 6before whirling away from their explodey shit

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Anyone know of any sites with good beginner builds? I'm looking for something that tells me what items to look for, where to put my skill points, etc. I'm pretty clueless. I started a witch, and I'd like to do some kind of fire build.

If you're looking for general information, I like ZiggyD's youtube channel. His builds are fairly indepth, and have breakdowns your skill tree at various levels. He's been doing builds since 1.x so many of his early builds might be lacking, but he also has a website where he's updated some of his older builds.

The other place to check is the poe forums, as each class has a separate sub-board for builds, many of them with linked YT vids, uniques they recommend, etc.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    @anoffday I'd recommend Flameblast or Firestorm as a first-fire-caster build: both are pretty straightforward and don't require much in the way of gear investment to get off the ground.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1460817
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1706557

Neither guide is perfect but they're both good enough to get you started.

If you're still undecided on a main skill, here's a generic 55-point skill tree for a fire build of any stripe.

You'll want to look out for armor pieces with 4 linked sockets so that you can get a decent setup for your main damage skill. Early on, this will be something like

[Main skill]
    Faster Casting
    Controlled Destruction
    Elemental Focus

At level 38, you probably want to replace Elemental Focus with Spell Echo (unless you're using Flameblast).

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Just curious, is there a way to get my casting speed high enough to hit the limit on number of raging spirits? Right now I can only get about 14 skulls out at a time

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    whats your skill tree look like? Are you using spell echo? Are you using Increased duration gem? Do you have the skill duration cluster under Elemental Equilibrium on the tree? It's a mix of casting speed and skill duration for raging spirits.

I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hey everyone, I want some opinions from experienced late-game mappers on my character. I'm currently in T7-T8 maps and haven't come close to dying.

I did a rare Mud Geyser (T7) map last night with increased critical chance/multi, 80% extra fire damage, 80% extra lightning damage and it went well. I didn't let the boss touch me though, I'm not that brave.

Here is my current character, anything you can see I can improve? My tooltip DPS is about 20K right now, that will jump when I finish the 2H axe wheel and get my last 2 ascendancy points.

Character name Spawnbrochieftotems: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Spawnbroker

Taste of hate is something I could start saving for, or maybe one of the rare granite flasks..I could also lose some dexterity on my gear and try to get some more life. My necklace is a big problem right now, but I need to wear it so I can keep using enfeeble.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Just curious, is there a way to get my casting speed high enough to hit the limit on number of raging spirits? Right now I can only get about 14 skulls out at a time

With Spell Echo, Haste, and the Necromancer Ascendancy for self applied Flesh Offering, you'll be in the mid 40s. The cap is very easy to hit after the cast speed and damage change.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hey everyone, I want some opinions from experienced late-game mappers on my character. I'm currently in T7-T8 maps and haven't come close to dying.

I did a rare Mud Geyser (T7) map last night with increased critical chance/multi, 80% extra fire damage, 80% extra lightning damage and it went well. I didn't let the boss touch me though, I'm not that brave.

Here is my current character, anything you can see I can improve? My tooltip DPS is about 20K right now, that will jump when I finish the 2H axe wheel and get my last 2 ascendancy points.

Character name Spawnbrochieftotems: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Spawnbroker

Taste of hate is something I could start saving for, or maybe one of the rare granite flasks..I could also lose some dexterity on my gear and try to get some more life. My necklace is a big problem right now, but I need to wear it so I can keep using enfeeble.

Here's some thoughts in no particular order:

-vaal grace is great, it applies to you and your totems, useful for bosses and you have some slots open
    -get some gems leveling up in your weapon swap set, probably a few enfeebles would be good so you can try to vaal some later, maybe a poison gem so you can try it out with vuln on your blasphemy for maps you aren't scared of dying in
    -try to get flat phys on your jewelry (this can be really hard now especially since there are many popular phys attack builds now)
    -gloves with flat phys are usually pretty cheap, especially since I expect many people in HC are running facebreakers anyway
    -get a conc effect somewhere you can swap in for bosses, the damage difference is remarkable
    -consider a stibnite flask for bosses that have scary attacks, it makes izaro much safer for example
    -I think cloth and chain might be stronger than armor mastery and diamond skin on the passive tree
    -lions roar is a pretty amazing flask, although apparently everyone has figured it out: they are 27ish chaos on HC so maybe a distant purchase

mccart on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    whats your skill tree look like? Are you using spell echo? Are you using Increased duration gem? Do you have the skill duration cluster under Elemental Equilibrium on the tree? It's a mix of casting speed and skill duration for raging spirits.

Oh yeah, duh, I completely forgot about duration and spell echo. Thanks, y'all!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    mccart wrote: »

Here's some thoughts in no particular order:

-vaal grace is great, it applies to you and your totems, useful for bosses and you have some slots open
    -get some gems leveling up in your weapon swap set, probably a few enfeebles would be good so you can try to vaal some later, maybe a poison gem so you can try it out with vuln on your blasphemy for maps you aren't scared of dying in
    -try to get flat phys on your jewelry (this can be really hard now especially since there are many popular phys attack builds now)
    -gloves with flat phys are usually pretty cheap, especially since I expect many people in HC are running facebreakers anyway
    -get a conc effect somewhere you can swap in for bosses, the damage difference is remarkable
    -consider a stibnite flask for bosses that have scary attacks, it makes izaro much safer for example
    -I think cloth and chain might be stronger than armor mastery and diamond skin on the passive tree
    -lions roar is a pretty amazing flask, although apparently everyone has figured it out: they are 27ish chaos on HC so maybe a distant purchase

Sweet, thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely implement some of these, especially leveling gems in my swap set.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a level 8 Catarina on standard? I want to craft a +3 bow in my 6L but I'm not so jazzed about finding some rando to pay for it.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    @anoffday I'd recommend Flameblast or Firestorm as a first-fire-caster build: both are pretty straightforward and don't require much in the way of gear investment to get off the ground.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1460817
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1706557

Neither guide is perfect but they're both good enough to get you started.

If you're still undecided on a main skill, here's a generic 55-point skill tree for a fire build of any stripe.

You'll want to look out for armor pieces with 4 linked sockets so that you can get a decent setup for your main damage skill. Early on, this will be something like

[Main skill]
    Faster Casting
    Controlled Destruction
    Elemental Focus

At level 38, you probably want to replace Elemental Focus with Spell Echo (unless you're using Flameblast).

Thanks, I'll check this out.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    So my Templar is kind of a flop. I made it to merciless and I can face tank bosses really easily and clearing content is pretty easy, but damn it's slow. He's the first toon I've had to zero death all the act 4 bosses. I think I'm gonna do LiftingNerdBros bv shadow build cause I'm lazy

• Options
    So my Templar is kind of a flop. I made it to merciless and I can face tank bosses really easily and clearing content is pretty easy, but damn it's slow. He's the first toon I've had to zero death all the act 4 bosses. I think I'm gonna do LiftingNerdBros bv shadow build cause I'm lazy

Not super surprised by this, but I didn't want to discourage you from a build that may have turned out to be better than it sounded on paper. I think there's a lot to learn from failed builds -- it sounds like this one had some good things going on defensively that you can leverage in the future.

• Options
    It was fun to give it a shot, and I might come back to it in the future (let's be honest, I won't).

I have a question for the people more knowledgeable than me i.e. everyone. I am following LiftingNerdBros assassin bv 2.4 build... why does he suggest assassin instead of trickster? Also, if he recommends using controlled destruction (I think that's the one, more spell dmg, reduced critical chance) why focus on getting crit from power charges and the assassin tree in general. They seem to run counter to each other. What's more likely is that I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

• Options
    Controlled destruction has a reduced crit chance of around 100%, meaning if the spell has 5% crit chance your total crit without it will be 5% less than it is with it. Since you can (generally) overcap crit using Assassin, it effectively does nothing except give you a massive blanket more damage mod.

• Options
    I am running a flameblast elementalist with discipline, blasfeeble, and arctic armor. with clarity

I have achieved a mana regen/reduced cost balance that automatically triggers flameblast when it hits 10 stacks. this is kinda useful

elemental conflux is really nice but a little awkward to time things around especially when using elemental overload. I shocked Cruel Voll which made me laugh. I don't know whether to go prolif or pendulum for merc lab. Pendulum seems like more work to optimize but stronger for single target damage. Prolif seems like it could make clearing packs simpler.

contemplating a shift to CI. 600+ ES chests are kinda cheap. Cloak of Flame is surprisingly nice, effectively 16% flat reduced phys damage and the ignite chance helps when conflux is off the fire/tri cycle.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Next year's 3.0.0 expansion introduces Path of Exile's fifth act. Without any changes to the game's structure, the core game would consist of fifteen acts to play through across three difficulty levels before you arrive at the end-game. Clearly, this is too much and would push the end-game out too far.

We want to confirm that our plan for 3.0.0 reduces the core game to ten total acts before the end-game. Changes of this nature dramatically alter the levels that maps and other systems start at, so we need Act Five to keep character progression relatively similar.

You've probably seen this already and expected it, but it's still a relief. Bandit rewards are going to be a bit of an issue and there are going to be slightly fewer skill points as rewards, but that can be adjusted. I do wonder if Act 5 will go back to Oriath or if there's something more important to deal with on Wraeclast. I want to know how the "Heart of Thaumaturgy"/The Beast was formed, how the gems coalesced and just how beaten the Beast is now that Malachai has been smacked down.

• Options
    Is there somewhere online where I can read the overall story of POE cause I really don't know what is going on. All of a sudden there are topless demons and then I'm inside the boss from Chrono Trigger. Things seem like they escalate quickly.

• Options
    Oh thank God, with Cruel gone I might actually play the leagues.

• Options
    I respected an old pathfinder to try a windripper I found last leave as a MF runner. Initially had 48k lightning arrow DPS. Sweet Jesus, that ought a do for blowing up low tier maps, although it will go down in MF gear and I'll probably only have like 3.5k life. But...white maps with 70% IIQ/350% IIR should be a fun new experience!

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Is there somewhere online where I can read the overall story of POE cause I really don't know what is going on. All of a sudden there are topless demons and then I'm inside the boss from Chrono Trigger. Things seem like they escalate quickly.

Here we are. Pretty good read, with some interesting parts and tidbits. Some of what I write is from the comic book, which is nice and puts some good detail and a human face on proceedings. Edit: Thank you for the feedback and corrections!

Basically: The Vaal are the Aztecs but more advanced. First civilization, first civilization on Wraeclast. Largely peaceful but practice human sacrifice. Their queen Atziri is vainglorious and wants to be pretty forever, and kicks the sacrifice thing up a notch while promising some glorious eternity via the gems (the ones you use for skills). She takes an interest in the work of Doryani who experiments gruesomely on countless young Vaal. Doryani is inspired by Zerphi, a 168-years old vaalish serial killer who stayed young seemingly forever by subjecting young pretty noble Vaalish to as much pain as is possible for a human to feel. The Vaal die in a cataclysm, the Azmeri -tough people from the mountains who got welcomed to the plains/jungles by the Vaal- settle a city and promise to "Keep their eyes open" unlike the Vaal.

The Azmeri and the surviving Vaal led by Tarcus Veruso, build a largely Roman civilization called the Eternal Empire over time, with Sarn as their capital. They begin subjugating other populations as well while letting them retain some independence and cultural distinction, much like the Romans. The last of the Phrecius family -Izaro- is slightly nutty and inbred and spends massively on the Ascendancy Labyrinth to decide a worthy successor (past Azmeri leaders were selected in wooden labyrinths with feral beasts and basic traps) and Chitus Perandus (rich merchant kid of low birth) uses his funds and deceit to win. On the way he promises an Ezomyte warrior that he will free the Ezomyte people from slavery. He poisons the poor Ezomyte guy and makes it through the Labyrinth. He throws Izaro in there upon becoming emperor, and Izaro fuses with the Goddess of Justice to become the pesky robot you fight three times. Perandus doesn't free the Ezomytes.

The Eternals have largely enslaved the Ezomytes, the Maraketh (the matriarchal, fight-happy people you meet in act 4) and the Karui (the Maori equivalents) and start forcing them to mine the Virtue Gems (our skill gems - but we put them in our gear for spells and attacks, while the Eternals implanted them in their bodies to become incredible singers or musicians. A poet called Victario is dismayed by how his fellow citizens become addicted to gem usage - more on him later). Malachai is a central gem scientist. He becomes attached to Dialla, a concubine the emperor grew tired of.

Ondar, mayor of Sarn, Templar Voll (you take Deshret's banner from him in the Dried Lake, remember), Victario, Geofri (you take his golden hand) and others start wanting to overthrow the Eternal empire, Sarn and emperor Perandus since they dislike how the empire has strayed towards Vaalish downfall despite Veruso's founding words. They start amassing a Purity rebellion with Karui (led by new king Kaom), Ezomytes (the Ezomyte rebels are led by Thane Rigwald, from the Talisman league) and Maraketh joining forces. Victario helps out and tries to get Maligaro, one of Malachai's disciples, assassinated. He also uses a loophole in the Karui Way to help Karui women fight and defeat Marceus Lioneye, an empire commander. Shavronne of the Umbra, one of Malachai's disciples, implants gem powers in the prison warden Brutus to stop the Karui from breaking through Axiom prison to go futher north. She creates a powerful guardian who beats her into paste and stops the Karui.

The Ezomytes also beat the part of the Eternal legions sent to subdue them, at terrible losses, while the Maraketh use their knowledge of storms to slaughter the legions sent to quell them. Deshret, leader of the Maraketh uprising, makes a saddle of an Eternal commander's skin. She's the one whose spirit is captured and you have to free in the mines.

Victario uses graffiti and other covert tactics to incite rebellion in Sarn and falls in love with another rebel leader. He works with the mayor and others to stage a final rebellion while the other peoples rebelling besiege the gates of Sarn. On the way, the rebellion burns Doedre Darktongue, another disciple of Malachai's, at the stake for her experiments. Victory against the Perandus family comes at heavy losses for the rebels and Victario loses his love at the hands of Dialla.

Voll, leader of the rebellion and now the new emperor of Sarn, is promised a way to defeat The Beast/The Nightmare (source of gem power and the Black Heart of Thaumaturgy) by Malachai in exchange for sparing Malachai's life. Victario tries killing Malachai upon hearing this but is stopped and dishonorably dismissed by Voll, who follows Malachai to Highgate where the gems come from.

The cataclysm that struck the Vaal happens again despite there being no massive sacrifice on par with the one Queen Atziri and Doriyani engineered, as Malachai refuses to sacrifice Dialla or perhaps she refuses to become a sacrifice in the right way. It is somewhat unclear. Sarn is wiped clean of life and everyone but the people with gems in them die, including Victario who remained embittered and miserable in Sarn. Those with gems are turned into monsters. Malachai fuses with the Beast and starts gathering power. Voll and his legion are turned into shambling horrors. One of the Perandus family makes a pact with a diety of mercantilism, precious metals and profit to escape the whole mess with life intact - he's the portly fellow who was central to the Perandus league.

The Karui are too close to Sarn and start getting afflicted. Kaom decides to go north with a select group of warriors to solve all this while Hyrri takes the rest to another place. Later, In Theopolis, Daresso's beloved Merveil starts getting changed by a necklace he gave her so he heads to Wraeclast to find a cure. Some of the Azmeri live far enough away from Sarn to survive and later form the forest encampment. The Maraketh who were far away enough from Highgate to not get blasted into black, warped mush and bones take it upon themselves to guard the entrance and keep Nightmare at bay.

A tiny offshoot of Voll's new empire and religion, lies on the island of Oriath, with Theopolis as the capital. When the cataclysm strikes, it alone remains a vestige of Voll's Purity rebellion/theology and Sarn's culture. Here, High Templar Dominus starts taking an interest in the power found on Wraeclast. He and officer Piety (formerly a magic student/prostitute called Vinia) from the Blackguard head over there with General Gravicius, and they realize that much like Doryani they need a lot more subjects to experiment on to understand the power of the gems and thaumaturgy. So they decide to make Exile to Wraeclast a punishment for criminals on Oriath...

Among those sent to Wraeclast over time are Hillock, Oak, Kraityn, Alira, the vendors we meet in some of the 'towns', some or all of the Masters and of course our seven playable individuals.

Absalon on
  • Options
    That sad moment when you realize your best HC character is an SC character...

I rolled a Flameblast Totem Chieftain in Essence Softcore (after suiciding my Cycloner on the last phase of Merciless Izaro), so of course he's level 85 and hasn't died yet. My SC atlas is fleshed out through T6 and most of T7, and I see no reason the character can't push easily to T11-T13 on my current gear. Maybe higher. It's kind of insane how much safer this guy feels than any of the melee or self-cast characters I played at the start of the league.

• Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    I've managed to kill the Hydra and the Phoenix on ESC, still a few maps away on the lower two which I might just go ahead and start buying now. I did die once to both the upper guardians. The death to Phoenix was due to lack of knowledge of his discharge, dying to Hydra was poor play. I did get really lucky with the Phoenix lair map, it dropped in my first Core run. It took 10 Dark Forest clears to get a Hydra map. The guardians being immune to either poison or bleed is pretty frustrating, the poison/bleed combo is so effective elsewhere fighting the guardians makes my character feel quite weak. I don't know if I can really expect to do a corrupted rare version of the guardian maps with this character unless I get a corruption that doesn't buff the guardians at all. With enfeeble Phoenix can hit me for 4.5k with just a basic attack so if he was buffed even just a little, even just with increased aoe and monster hp things would be pretty rough.

I'm still playing EQ slayer with a Disfavour running temp chains and vulnerability amplified by a +2 enhance in the axe. For the guardians and core malachai I swap in enfeeble for vulnerability. It seems like most people have been just running their ancestral warchief in their axes, so I might try that at some point too. I could sell off everything to get a 6-link axe and maybe try to kill the shaper, not sure yet. Knowing my propensity to make mistakes in games when I get nervous it would probably take me a few sets to get a kill.

I have a 3-4 tabs of ilvl 84 items on ESC so if anyone wants something to alch or essence craft just ask, I don't mind giving them away since I have so many and only sell maybe 4-5 an evening now.

One thing the altas has done for me is that I can sell tier 8 maps now pretty regularly for a couple chisels each, I imagine this is people just filling holes in their atlas. This is nice since I've totally run out of whetstones and hammers and tier 1-5 maps making chisels, and was getting down to 30ish chisels only chiseling 14s and 15s, so it's nice to have some income to fix that.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Absalon wrote: »
    Wall of Text.

Awesomed you for your stylistic touches.

A couple nitpicks though. The Empire are no longer Azmeri anymore, they're called Eternals (of the Eternal Empire) and are the offshoot of Vaalish and Azmeri intermingling. The remaining Azmeri are backwater tribals who survived everything because they were nowhere near all that shit.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »

Here we are. Pretty good read, with some interesting parts and tidbits. Some of what I write is from the comic book, which is nice and puts some good detail and a human face on proceedings.

Basically: The Vaal are the Aztecs but more advanced. First civilization, first civilization on Wraeclast. Largely peaceful but practice human sacrifice. Their queen Atziri is vainglorious and wants to be pretty forever, and kicks the sacrifice thing up a notch while promising some glorious eternity via the gems (the ones you use for skills). She takes an interest in the work of Doryani who experiments gruesomely on countless young Vaal. Doryani is inspired by Zerphi, a 168-years old vaalish serial killer who stayed young seemingly forever by subjecting young pretty noble Vaalish to as much pain as is possible for a human to feel. The Vaal die in a cataclysm, the Azmeri -tough people from the mountains who got welcomed to the plains/jungles by the Vaal- settle a city and promise to "Keep their eyes open" unlike the Vaal.

The Azmeri, led by Tarcus Veruso, build a largely Roman civilization over time, with Sarn as their capital. They begin subjugating other populations as well while letting them retain some independence and cultural distinction, much like the Romans. The last of the Phrecius family -Izaro- is slightly nutty and inbred and spends massively on the Ascendancy Labyrinth to decide a worthy successor (past leaders were selected in wooden labyrinths with feral beasts and basic traps) and Chitus Perandus (rich merchant kid of low birth) uses his funds and deceit to win. On the way he promises an Ezomyte warrior that he will free the Ezomyte people from slavery. He poisons the poor Ezomyte guy and makes it through the Labyrinth. He throws Izaro in there upon becoming emperor, and Izaro fuses with the Goddess of Justice to become the pesky robot you fight three times. Perandus doesn't free the Ezomytes.

The Azmeri have largely enslaved the Ezomytes, the Maraketh (the matriarchal, fight-happy people you meet in act 4) and the Karui (the Maori equivalents) and start forcing them to mine the Virtue Gems (our skill gems - but we put them in our gear for spells and attacks, while the Azmeri implanted them in their bodies to become incredible singers or musicians. A poet called Victario is dismayed by how his fellow citizens become addicted to gem usage - more on him later). Malachai is a central gem scientist. He becomes attached to Dialla, a concubine the emperor grew tired of.

Ondar, mayor of Sarn, Templar Voll (you take Deshret's banner from him in the Dried Lake, remember), Victario, Geofri (you take his golden hand) and others start wanting to overthrow the Azmeri empire, Sarn and emperor Perandus since they dislike how the empire has strayed towards Vaalish downfall despite Veruso's founding words. They start amassing a Purity rebellion with Karui (led by new king Kaom), Ezomytes (the Ezomyte rebels are led by Thane Rigwald, from the Talisman league) and Maraketh joining forces. Victario helps out and tries to get Maligaro, one of Malachai's disciples, assassinated. He also uses a loophole in the Karui Way to help Karui women fight and defeat Marceus Lioneye, an empire commander. Shavronne of the Umbra, one of Malachai's disciples, implants gem powers in the prison warden Brutus to stop the Karui from breaking through Axiom prison to go futher north. She creates a powerful guardian who beats her into paste and stops the Karui.

The Ezomytes also beat the part of the Azmeri legions sent to subdue them, at terrible losses, while the Maraketh use their knowledge of storms to slaughter the legions sent to quell them. Deshret, leader of the Maraketh uprising, makes a saddle of an Azmeri commander's skin. She's the one whose spirit is captured and you have to free in the mines.

Victario uses graffiti and other covert tactics to incite rebellion in Sarn and falls in love with another rebel leader. He works with the mayor and others to stage a final rebellion while the other peoples rebelling besiege the gates of Sarn. On the way, the rebellion burns Doedre Darktongue, another disciple of Malachai's, at the stake for her experiments. Victory against the Perandus family comes at heavy losses for the rebels and Victario loses his love at the hands of Dialla.

Voll, leader of the rebellion and now the new emperor of Sarn, is promised a way to defeat The Beast/The Nightmare (source of gem power and the Black Heart of Thaumaturgy) by Malachai in exchange for sparing Malachai's life. Victario tries killing Malachai upon hearing this but is stopped and dishonorably dismissed by Voll, who follows Malachai to Highgate where the gems come from.

The cataclysm that struck the Vaal happens again despite there being no amssive sacrifice on par with the one Queen Atziri and Doriyani engineered, as Malachai refuses to sacrifice Dialla or perhaps she refuses to become a sacrifice in the right way. It is somewhat unclear. Sarn is wiped clean of life and everyone but the people with gems in them die, including Victario who remained embittered and miserable in Sarn. Those with gems are turned into monsters. Malachai fuses with the Beast and starts gathering power. Voll and his legion are turned into shambling horrors. One of the Perandus family makes a pact with a diety of mercantilism, precious metals and profit to escape the whole mess with life intact - he's the portly fellow who was central to the Perandus league.

The Karui are too close to Sarn and start getting afflicted. Kaom decides to go north to solve all this while Hyrri takes the rest to another place. In Theopolis, Daresso's beloved Merveil starts getting changed by a necklace he gave her so he heads to Wraeclast to find a cure. Some of the Azmeri live far enough away from Sarn to survive and form the forest encampment. The Maraketh who were far away enough from Highgate to not get blasted into black, warped mush and bones take it upon themselves to guard the entrance and keep Nightmare at bay.

A tiny offshoot of Voll's new empire and religion, lies on the island of Oriath, with Theopolis as the capital. When the cataclysm strikes, it alone remains a vestige of Voll's Purity rebellion/theology and Sarn's culture. Here, High Templar Dominus starts taking an interest in the power found on Wraeclast. He and officer Piety (formerly a magic student/prostitute called Vinia) from the Blackguard head over there with General Gravicius, and they realize that much like Doryani they need a lot more subjects to experiment on to understand the power of the gems and thaumaturgy. So they decide to make Exile to Wraeclast a punishment for criminals on Oriath...

Wow! Thank you for all of that. That puts a lot of different things into context. Although, I'm pretty sure the Beast = Lavos.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Eh, not far off. It's a supernatural creature. Thusly, it ignores casuality.

Putting aside that I don't think it's linguistically coherent to call anything that.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    If I recall correctly, it is thought that massive implanting of gems is what lead to the two previous cataclysms.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    On the History of Wraeclast page that was linked, it is implied that the second cataclysm was triggered intentionally by Malachai to kill off anyone who might stop him.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, it is thought that massive implanting of gems is what lead to the two previous cataclysms.

that has some interesting implications for Dominus' experiment in sending exiles to Wraeclast...

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Brody wrote: »
    On the History of Wraeclast page that was linked, it is implied that the second cataclysm was triggered intentionally by Malachai to kill off anyone who might stop him.

Piety explicitly says so the second time you beat her.
    Malachai's journal and boss dialogue suggests that he his motives are a bit more complicated than simply taking over the world.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    So I'm leveling a flame golem witch for kicks as apparently its pretty baller. Though I'm wondering if I should go elementalist or necromancer. Elementalist gives me another golem, plus makes them immune to elemental damage, though thats about all it gives me. I would probably have to use some other ability also to put that 160% more damage from the 4 golems to use.

Necro is more straight minion based. I do have an alpha howl and could make good use out of commander of darkness, but I dont really wanna use any other minions...

I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Elementalist has a purpose-built skill for ignoring reflect. People went a little bit crazy with Flameblast when she got it.
    I was also thinking of trying to double-dip the golems for conversion, but it's a pain in the ass to figure out lightning-fire conversion.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Thinking on it, necro just seems better in all ways. Would let me run EE and just spam ball lightning with curse on hit. 3 super powered golems is better than 4 not so strong golems.

Just feel like I need some other minion...

I'm dead serious."