As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: Galoot Debate

1939495969799»

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And as I said over on that thread:

What she said: "We should have sympathy for these people."
    What Trump and his surrogates hear, think, and say: "Fuck those losers."

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Doesn't really sound like she's making fun of them, to me. I'm not going to sit and listen to a 40 minute long shitty quality recording to get her tone though. (Like was someone literally sitting on a microphone or what?)

it's a hacked cellphone

was released earlier this week

the original politico lede/tweet was some hot fucking garbage as well - said how she "mocked" sanders supporters

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    It's definitely something that a politician would never publicly say on purpose, because telling someone "You're wrong, but I think I understand why" is a minefield at the best of times. There are several phrases in there that are blunt enough that I wouldn't blame a Bernie voter for hearing them and thinking "Hey, fuck you, Secretary Clinton."

But it sounds like she honestly gets why I voted for Sanders in my state's primary, and she's going to need to talk a hell of a lot of our generation out of the Johnson camp if she's going to go into election day with a comfortable lead. I hope young liberals don't get their backs up over that leak. Hillary Clinton is not our enemy, and fucking Gary Johnson is absolutely not our ally.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    It's definitely something that a politician would never publicly say on purpose, because telling someone "You're wrong, but I think I understand why" is a minefield at the best of times. There are several phrases in there that are blunt enough that I wouldn't blame a Bernie voter for hearing them and thinking "Hey, fuck you, Secretary Clinton."

But it sounds like she honestly gets why I voted for Sanders in my state's primary, and she's going to need to talk a hell of a lot of our generation out of the Johnson camp if she's going to go into election day with a comfortable lead. I hope young liberals don't get their backs up over that leak. Hillary Clinton is not our enemy, and fucking Gary Johnson is absolutely not our ally.

she didn't even say they were wrong to want these things. at best you could argue she said they were wrong to not accept incremental improvement with eyes on a long term goal.

and, to be frank, that's not incorrect.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't see anywhere that said that. Just that a lot of entry levels jobs like barista do not offer and real advancement because in this economy the managers and higher-ups aren't inclined to leave their positions any time soon. So your "career" is basically sixty cents more per hour each year. And we're talking college graduates, so yeah, I can see why they wouldn't be keen on incremental improvement in a job that that they took on immense student debt to avoid having to work in the first place.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fuck, college was supposed to be the goddamn "incremental improvement" for the long term goal. To hell with anyone that says "Oh, they just want X job and not slowly work at it for a number of years."

Motherfucker, they just did that.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Everybody who’s ever been in an election that I’m aware of is quite bewildered because there is a strain of, on the one hand, the kind of populist, nationalist, xenophobic, discriminatory kind of approach that we hear too much of from the Republican candidates. And on the other side, there’s just a deep desire to believe that we can have free college, free healthcare, that what we’ve done hasn’t gone far enough, and that we just need to, you know, go as far as, you know, Scandinavia, whatever that means, and half the people don’t know what that means, but it’s something that they deeply feel.
    I admit I laughed at the part about Scandinavia.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Everybody who’s ever been in an election that I’m aware of is quite bewildered because there is a strain of, on the one hand, the kind of populist, nationalist, xenophobic, discriminatory kind of approach that we hear too much of from the Republican candidates. And on the other side, there’s just a deep desire to believe that we can have free college, free healthcare, that what we’ve done hasn’t gone far enough, and that we just need to, you know, go as far as, you know, Scandinavia, whatever that means, and half the people don’t know what that means, but it’s something that they deeply feel.
    I admit I laughed at the part about Scandinavia.

In defense of baristas, the question of what Scandinavia means is p. complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsXMe8H6iyc

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Well that escalated quickly

Russia warns US not to intervene as hospital is hit in latest Aleppo blitz
    An unrelenting Russian and Syrian blitz of eastern Aleppo heavily damaged one of the city’s three remaining hospitals on Saturday, as Moscow warned that any American attempts to stop its assault would lead to “frightening tectonic shifts in the Middle East”.

The Russian raids struck at least five areas of the opposition-held half of the city, which is bracing for a ground assault by Shia forces allied to the Syrian regime. Syrian helicopters are believed to be responsible for the strike on the M10 hospital, which has left those who remain in the east with next to no access to essential healthcare.
    In the recordings, which were published by the New York Times, Kerry is heard saying: “We are trying to pursue the diplomacy and I understand it’s frustrating. You have no one more frustrated than we are.” He said that the US had no legal justification for attacking the Assad regime, while Russia had been invited to join the conflict on behalf of the Syrian leader.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    yeah it's been heading that way for a week now.

blowing up the hospital is pretty brazen, though.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I just passed a bunch of Trump sign-wavers that had signs around their neck that read "Deplorable"

I kinda wish everyone would self-designate so readily

• Options
    Gingrich: 'No excuse ever' for 3 a.m. tweeting
    "What Trump has got to understand, he's got to sing either, 'I got to be me' or he's got to order a new song, 'I've got to be President.' They're not the same song. He's got to become much more disciplined," Gingrich said in an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity.
    "I really hope this is a wakeup call for him. Quit tweeting without somebody looking over your shoulder, don't ever tweet late at night and prepare to really study and get ready for a serious debate because ... this next debate is going to be very important for how people judge him," he continued.

• Options
    I just passed a bunch of Trump sign-wavers that had signs around their neck that read "Deplorable"

As soon as you said that, a Google image search term popped into my head, and it did not disappoint.

deplorable-me1.jpg?w=474

I mean, obviously I'm deeply disappointed in just everything and everyone now, but I immediately found what I was looking for. Good job, Google.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The whole 3am tweet thing drives me crazy, because I feel like people are missing the context that it wasn't just a 3am tweet.

It was him tweeting multiple times from like 1am to 5am or something, about the same damn thing, which was obviously eating away at him so fucking badly he couldn't help himself.

The problem isn't that he tweets at 3am, it's that some gotcha'd him and it drove him so mad that he was up all night fuming.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Was it 3am eastern or pacific

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Was it 3am eastern or pacific

If it had been pacific, someone in DC would have been up at 6 a.m. to call and tell him to put down his phone

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I could not care less about the time he tweeted

The subject would be shitty no matter the time

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular

fucking war boys

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »

fucking war boys

warring fuckbois

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    NeoToma wrote: »

fucking war boys

warring fuckbois

wandering the war-torn fucklands

fearless, reckless, bottomless

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    I could not care less about the time he tweeted

The subject would be shitty no matter the time

The time is just indicative of his lack of impulse control

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Oof, comparing her to Janeway. I wouldn't even compare Trump to Janeway.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Oof, comparing her to Janeway. I wouldn't even compare Trump to Janeway.

What's so bad about Janeway?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I've heard her described as a war criminal.

But I havent watched much Star Trek to confirm or deny.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Janeway's biggest failing was Brannon / Berman and some very tired script writers

Brolo on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Janeway's best moment was when she outsmarted a clown

https://youtu.be/kPw8WIwgaxI

Huh maybe that Riker tweet does have a point

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Janeway was never written consistently enough, so she comes off as psychopathic.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Screw you guys. Janeway or the highway.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Sorce wrote: »
    Janeway was never written consistently enough, so she comes off as psychopathic.

this is a response that most likely arises from the unreasonable standards placed on female leaders (both in fiction and reality)

relevant, really

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Janeway was great during Year of Hell and that's how I choose to remember her

IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.