Options

Access Hollywood presents: The [2016 Presidential Election] Shitshow Spectacular!

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

I just realized something.

How the fuck did Hillary get 30% on Drudge?

I'm guessing that's the only poll they didn't try to brigade because they assumed they wouldn't have to.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Y'know, I wouldn't mind a moratorium on "Reality is so crazy that Onion writers have no ideas!" jokes for the next, oh, trillion years or so.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    If you are too crazy for Glenn Beck, you've really accomplished...

well, something.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm going to be curious to see how much the tape has actually damaged his standing in the polls. Because, while it's obviously damaged his standing wrt media coverage, it doesn't seem like many of the people who were planning on voting for him are bothered by it. Like... at all.

Duffel on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Duffel wrote: »
    I'm going to be curious to see how much the tape has actually damaged his standing in the polls. Because, while it's obviously damaged his standing wrt media coverage, it doesn't seem like many of the people who were planning on voting for him are bothered by it. Like... at all.

He was never going to lose his core. But he needs more than his core to win.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Y'know, I wouldn't mind a moratorium on "Reality is so crazy that Onion writers have no ideas!" jokes for the next, oh, trillion years or so.

I'd prefer a moratorium on reality being so crazy that onion comparisons aren't obvious. :P

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Its a bit out of context but yeah Glenn Beck has noped out of this level of crazy

Even rats know when to flee.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Basically Glenn Beck, in his "principled conservative" character, is correctly assessing that, from the view of that character, this election is a Trolley Problem, and has decided on his 'least bad' choice.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

He's lost a chunk of what little woman support he had.

But really, it's not so much about peeling his core supporters (those will never leave him) but getting the moderates and centre-rights, the always-voted-republicans and the socially-liberal-financially-conservatives, and especially getting through to the low-information voters and the undecided.

Trump can't win with his die-hard base alone. Videos like this one cut off all other lines of support.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Just like physical laws get weird the closer you get to the speed of light, Poe's law gets weird the closer you get to this election.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »

But really, it's not so much about peeling his core supporters (those will never leave him) but getting the moderates and centre-rights, the always-voted-republicans and the socially-liberal-financially-conservatives, and especially getting through to the low-information voters and the undecided.

Trump can't win with his die-hard base alone. Videos like this one cut off all other lines of support.

Again, anecdotal, but I have actually yet to see a single man be like, "Oh, yeah, we all talk like that". I'm sure there have been, but not within any range of my witness. Seen lots of women be all like "Get over it, this is the way guys are", though. It's depressing.

I guess I really shouldn't be surprised. I mean, it's not as though it's a secret that our society as a rule simply does not care about sexual assault in general, at least if the perpetrator is "important" for whatever reason. We make that abundantly clear every time a powerful man gets accused of it.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, I'm watching the debate.

I'd like a hug.

But failing that, despite a 4 hour delay, I'm at a conference in Vegas. So if things go truly awry, at least I know I can get absolutely trashed no matter what time it is.

Have been pondering an N7 mass effect tattoo, but if I wake up with a "nobody gives a shit about the fucking emails" one I know what happened.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Basically Glenn Beck, in his "principled conservative" character, is correctly assessing that, from the view of that character, this election is a Trolley Problem, and has decided on his 'least bad' choice.

I don't think enough people realize that Glenn Beck is playing a character half the time. I mean, the guy is nutty, and I don't agree with much of anything he says...but he's effectively the (much, much) less funny, more nutty, conservative Stephen Colbert.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I am not sure we have seen the full effects of a sizable chunk of GOP elites abandoning ship. There are still people out there holding their nose and voting for Trump, but when other people they admire push back, some of them are gonna go "nuh uh."

This election isn't over until it's over, but Trump isn't just running against Clinton, he's running against his own party.

If say 20% of his party doesn't vote for him? He fucking loses.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I don't think enough people realize that Glenn Beck is playing a character half the time. I mean, the guy is nutty, and I don't agree with much of anything he says...but he's effectively the (much, much) less funny, more nutty, conservative Stephen Colbert.

Glenn Beck and Stephen Colbert played the same character. The difference is one actor was a zealot and the other a comedian. It's all in emphasis, timing, and delivery. The actual character is basically the same, except Colbert took more influence from O'Reilly

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Oh my god someone who says what I'm thinking

Have you considered running for President

• Options

Except that he wants you to believe his character. A character that spreads misinformation and conspiracy as truth.

He's nothing like Colbert.

• Options

Except that he wants you to believe his character. A character that spreads misinformation and conspiracy as truth.

That's delivery. Colbert's delivery was intentionally satirical so that the audience could know it was a joke. The zealot doesn't give that delivery, but rather plays the character as Heston's Moses.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Tri-State area man decides to run for president

-local man decides to run after getting told to do so on the internet. More after the break.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

I promise you, in the first hour of my presidency we are gonna find these people, we're gonna find these bad people that have run the same joke totally into the ground for months now, and we are gonna kick them out, believe me.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

I promise you, in the first hour of my presidency we are gonna find these people, we're gonna find these bad people that have run the same joke totally into the ground for months now, and we are gonna kick them out, believe me.

Ken Bone/Andy Joe 2016

A ticket you can relate to

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    So, I'm watching the debate.

I'd like a hug.

But failing that, despite a 4 hour delay, I'm at a conference in Vegas. So if things go truly awry, at least I know I can get absolutely trashed no matter what time it is.

Have been pondering an N7 mass effect tattoo, but if I wake up with a "nobody gives a shit about the fucking emails" one I know what happened.
    uy2jt5r5861s.png

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Tox beat me to this, but yeah, it's about delivery. In fact Beck and Colbert played the same character, with very different delivery and motives. The point remains, Glenn Beck is an actor/entertainer who plays a character much of the time.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

It's more likely to make undecided voters decided. I'm pretty sure I saw it happen to two of the people at the town hall live. The numbers never added up to 100 in the polls. At this point it may be a bit closer to.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Again, anecdotal, but I have actually yet to see a single man be like, "Oh, yeah, we all talk like that". I'm sure there have been, but not within any range of my witness. Seen lots of women be all like "Get over it, this is the way guys are", though. It's depressing.

I guess I really shouldn't be surprised. I mean, it's not as though it's a secret that our society as a rule simply does not care about sexual assault in general, at least if the perpetrator is "important" for whatever reason. We make that abundantly clear every time a powerful man gets accused of it.

Giuliani, for one. And hordes of republican commentators and Trump supporters on Twitter. One comparing it to 50 Shades was quoted right in this thread, another mansplaning to an outraged woman where her vagina is for some reason got some media attention too.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I am not sure we have seen the full effects of a sizable chunk of GOP elites abandoning ship. There are still people out there holding their nose and voting for Trump, but when other people they admire push back, some of them are gonna go "nuh uh."

This election isn't over until it's over, but Trump isn't just running against Clinton, he's running against his own party.

The latest NBC poll (I believe it was) said a bit under 70% of GOP voters thought other GOP officials should support Trump and 30% said Trump had to stand down or be repudiated by those officials. There seems like a very real chance that Trump might not reach 80% of the GOP vote in an electorate with a depressed number of GOP voters.
    edit

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Off-topic
    I haven't watched any of the right-wing pundit circus, so I don't have a first-hand knowledge of them, but Colbert always had an air of self-awareness about him and the show that the actual pundits lack. The Word segments come to mind. I do think that Colbert played a similar character Beck, but I don't think he played the same character. Though I do admit that a lot of Colbert's persona came through his intonation.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options

The latest NBC poll (I believe it was) said a bit under 70% of GOP voters thought other GOP officials should support Trump and 30% said Trump had to stand down or be repudiated by those officials. There seems like a very real chance that Trump might not reach 80% of the GOP vote in an electorate with a depressed number of GOP voters.
    edit

I really want this to happen.

Let's just vote tomorrow please.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Just like physical laws get weird the closer you get to the speed of light, Poe's law gets weird the closer you get to this election.

Or the event horizon of a singularity.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

this woman is a dangerously insane individual

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I knew Giuliani was a piece of shit before this election, and I don't know how my opinion of him could actually be lower now, but it is.

• Options

Giuliani, for one. And hordes of republican commentators and Trump supporters on Twitter. One comparing it to 50 Shades was quoted right in this thread, another mansplaning to an outraged woman where her vagina is for some reason got some media attention too.

I'm talking about people I've seen and heard personally. Not campaign surrogates.

• Options
    So if this is true, which is questionable based on the publication, then it might be the real reason Billy Bush got suspended:

http://pagesix.com/2016/10/10/billy-bush-bragged-about-vulgar-trump-video-to-nbc-staffers/
    Proving the infamous Ryan Lochte interview wasn’t Bush’s only Rio recklessness, the shamed “Today” host boasted at a party in August that he had a “tape of Trump being a real dog,” prompting staffers at “Access Hollywood” to track it down.

Bush never told NBC News brass about the tape when he joined “Today,” and they’re not happy about it. “Billy was bragging about the tape to other NBC staff while in Rio. If he knew about the tape, and remembered the full extent of such an explosive conversation with a presidential candidate and didn’t disclose that to NBC News, that is a very, very serious problem,” the insider said, adding it could violate the “morality clause” in his contract.

Also, none of the women on the staff wanted to work with him anymore.

Even worse for Billy would be the consequences from his own family for not mentioning this sooner.

What other Bushes have jobs that Trump can destroy? Didn't one become Ag Commissioner in Texas?

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Deseret News staff writer. That newspaper is literally owned by the Church of LDS, and has not in 80 years endorsed. The day after the tape came out they called for Trump to drop out of the race as an unacceptable candidate . So maybe they changed their minds and full on endorsed? Or possibly just a Hillary op-ed?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Can someone please decipher the Ken Bone shit for me? Is there some high level joke I'm missing or are people literally middle schoolers again laughing at the guy's last name?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Off-topic
    I haven't watched any of the right-wing pundit circus, so I don't have a first-hand knowledge of them, but Colbert always had an air of self-awareness about him and the show that the actual pundits lack. The Word segments come to mind. I do think that Colbert played a similar character Beck, but I don't think he played the same character. Though I do admit that a lot of Colbert's persona came through his intonation.
    And his eyebrow.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular

Deseret News staff writer. That newspaper is literally owned by the Church of LDS, and has not in 80 years endorsed. The day after the tape came out they called for Trump to drop out of the race as an unacceptable candidate . So maybe they changed their minds and full on endorsed? Or possibly just a Hillary op-ed?

Well I doubt she's opening a brand new hotel in downtown SLC, so.....

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Off-topic

Most of us can anecdotally point to at least one person we know that thought Colbert was a serious conservative pundit and had no idea the act was meant as sarcasm.

I blew that poor man's mind the day I told him. You could see something break inside...

• Options
    Priest wrote: »
    Can someone please decipher the Ken Bone shit for me? Is there some high level joke I'm missing or are people literally middle schoolers again laughing at the guy's last name?

He appears to be Jerry Gergich.

This discussion has been closed.