Options

Ask Tube: D&D Edition

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I also miss Rygar's phalla OPs. I understand why they were excised, but he was a damn good writer and those are also gone.

Nothing lasts forever, though.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    How do you deal with an upset astronaut?

I do not understand this reference

You just give him a little space.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    If you had to choose a word to single out as the word you like the least, what would it be?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    gooby

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    I suppose you could give her a little space, too. I am certainly not saying that all astronauts are men, but I am just limited by language.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    by "it is indeed perverse and gross... leave this one the fuck alone" do you mean drez or resurrecting lost threads

because

i mean i can see the case for each so

just wanting to be clear

ilu drez

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    do you still lift? big 3? do you want me to gift you preworkout

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Have you ever gotten a report that you personally found funny but had to infract because it was a violation of the rules?

What's the most interesting thing the forums have exposed you to personally?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Czar's a good word, have you considered using it in your TBD title?

Please do not use "c'zar" as it has unfortunate associations.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    by "it is indeed perverse and gross... leave this one the fuck alone" do you mean drez or resurrecting lost threads

because

i mean i can see the case for each so

just wanting to be clear

ilu drez

I think specifically that thread. Though, I may have misinterpreted Tube.

I mean the thread is basically about some dude getting cheated on. I don't even know if he posts here anymore. I don't think it's unfair to call my individual or our collective fixation on it somewhat perverse. I just really found the dude's catharsis by the end of the thread uplifting along with his general attitude, but considering the topic at hand it's a bit perverse to fixate on, lol.

• Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Tube, are you happy with the way D&D is now? As far as content, not behavior. Is content something you even worry about? Other than keeping junk/spam/abuse etc off the page obviously.

Also, thanks for taking the time to do these kind of threads. I think it's a plus for the community.

armageddonbound on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Are there more associations beyond being associated with the thrice-banned?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    milski wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Are there more associations beyond being associated with the thrice-banned?

that's the only one I'm aware of.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Do you get to hang out with Jerry and Mike if you're in Seattle/Washington, or are you (and the forums) just an extension of the PA company with no directly relations with them?

I hang out with both, Jerry more than Mike.

Were you the (tube's actual name) that was standing just out of eye sight of them playing D&D on one of those PATV episodes? They made a 30 second deal out of someone with your name and I was like "hey maybe that's tube".

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Tube, how do you feel about the revised Vampire: the Requiem rules set (made by Onyx Path after White Wolf went under) from a game mechanics perspective? Obviously Masquerade has the superior setting if you ignore a lot of the later metaplot but do you prefer VtM mechanically?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Preacher wrote: »
    Have you ever gotten a report that you personally found funny but had to infract because it was a violation of the rules?

What's the most interesting thing the forums have exposed you to personally?

Trans rights. Without the forums I would absolutely not understand a word of it and would probably be real shitty garbage (more so).
    Drez wrote: »
    I think specifically that thread. Though, I may have misinterpreted Tube..

It's perverse to still be bringing it up. Even in the thread at the time we specifically said "this should not become a thing". "Oh that guy's pain was such a juicy story". No. That's bad person talk.
    Do you get to hang out with Jerry and Mike if you're in Seattle/Washington, or are you (and the forums) just an extension of the PA company with no directly relations with them?

I hang out with both, Jerry more than Mike.

Were you the (tube's actual name) that was standing just out of eye sight of them playing D&D on one of those PATV episodes? They made a 30 second deal out of someone with your name and I was like "hey maybe that's tube".

I'm going to say that was Rothfuss.
    Tube, are you happy with the way D&D is now? As far as content, not behavior. Is content something you even worry about? Other than keeping junk/spam/abuse etc off the page obviously.

It's basically fine? I've become accustomed to the idea that the D&D that people want is not necessarily a place that I'm personally interested in hanging out in.
    Preacher wrote: »

Oh yeah, all the time.
    Organichu wrote: »
    do you still lift? big 3? do you want me to gift you preworkout

I still lift, pretty sporadically due to minor but debilitating health problems. You can gift me preworkout should you so choose. Postworkout is better, Surge for preference. This does not confer upon a user any special privilege other than getting hit twice as hard so that everyone knows I'm not violating any ethics.
    Bethryn wrote: »
    If you had to choose a word to single out as the word you like the least, what would it be?

Right now I'll go with cuck. Not because it offends me or anything, it's just a real shortcut to "this guy is a dumbass"

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Tube, are there other forum systems other than Vanilla that you like? Personally I'm not sure if it's just that I'm so used to Vanilla or that it is in fact the best, but other forums always seem clunky and cluttered in comparison.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Am I on a blacklist for the [chat] creator roulette? I've never come up, even as a backup!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    edit: wrong thread!

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Poor Gooey.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    How is piggychimp these days? The threads / lets plays and other content she participated in was always such fun to read or listen to.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Tube, one of the things that seems to make threads and discussions degenerate is the use of language that is pointlessly snarky, superior, antagonistic, etc. Things along the line of:

"You do realize that [statement], right?"
    "uh it's called [X], look it up"

I see people doing this to score points in their own mind, or for the satisfaction of inflicting some kind of shame or frustration on other people, or just because it's kind of a default mode for discussion both online and offline. People often don't seem to realize it's antagonistic, or think that it's a level of antagonism that is appropriate or somehow useful. But a series of posts with this tone will often drag a thread down. It's also a frustrating part of the way unpopular opinions are dogpiled.

I feel like it's difficult for the mods to police this kind of thing, in that it's either too small or too pervasive, and it often seems odd to report a post for being "snarky." What do you think we, as a community of posters, can do to improve the tone and charitability of posts and alter forum culture, if anything?

In general, of course, I do feel that tonal issues like this have improved tremendously in recent years, and that is a credit to our diligent mods.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Pony wrote: »
    Tube, how do you feel about the revised Vampire: the Requiem rules set (made by Onyx Path after White Wolf went under) from a game mechanics perspective? Obviously Masquerade has the superior setting if you ignore a lot of the later metaplot but do you prefer VtM mechanically?

I haven't seen revised, but I definitely preferred vtr mechanically. I don't actually play the game however.
    How is piggychimp these days? The threads / lets plays and other content she participated in was always such fun to read or listen to.

She's good! I'm visiting England soon, perhaps I'll be able to catch up with her.
    Am I on a blacklist for the [chat] creator roulette? I've never come up, even as a backup!

We don't even have the facility to do that
    Tube, are there other forum systems other than Vanilla that you like? Personally I'm not sure if it's just that I'm so used to Vanilla or that it is in fact the best, but other forums always seem clunky and cluttered in comparison.

I think discourse is the only real alternative. Other forum solutions are horrible.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Is there a forum tool you wish you had access to at times? Like not even available or feasible but you are like "God damn I wish we could do *blank*?" If so, what tool?

Is there a conference for admins of large communities? Do you know any other admins of large communities?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Tube, one of the things that seems to make threads and discussions degenerate is the use of language that is pointlessly snarky, superior, antagonistic, etc. Things along the line of:

I see people doing this to score points in their own mind, or for the satisfaction of inflicting some kind of shame or frustration on other people, or just because it's kind of a default mode for discussion both online and offline. People often don't seem to realize it's antagonistic, or think that it's a level of antagonism that is appropriate or somehow useful. But a series of posts with this tone will often drag a thread down. It's also a frustrating part of the way unpopular opinions are dogpiled.

I feel like it's difficult for the mods to police this kind of thing, in that it's either too small or too pervasive, and it often seems odd to report a post for being "snarky." What do you think we, as a community of posters, can do to improve the tone and charitability of posts and alter forum culture, if anything?

In general, of course, I do feel that tonal issues like this have improved tremendously in recent years, and that is a credit to our diligent mods.

You do realize that this is an amazing observation and one I bet a lot of people on here haven't considered before, right?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Oh, what's the best way to report a series of posts where several people are being geeselords and it's not really just a single thing?

Like sometimes a thread becomes completely derailed by an argument between a few people. Is reporting a post from each more useful than, say, reporting a recent reportable post and including in the message that actually it should include the last four pages and several people?

Like, I guess what I mean is it better for me to do the work and summarize or simply present all the facts and let you/the mods do the work of sorting it out?

Chanus on
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Tube, often times in scanning through D&D threads i will encounter a particular thread of argument that seems like both sides are arguing past each other and they don't, for whatever reason, want to stop. Are there any particular steps I should take in this scenario? I imagine the best course of action would be to simply ignore it and start discussing another aspect of the issue and try to bring the thread around to it, but is there a point where two posters are so engaged in an argument for argument's sake that I should just report or somethig?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Are you willing to divulge the dark secret behind geth's chat picking routine?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

some secrets are too dark to know

think of the power

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

some secrets are too dark to know

think of the power

You don't really want to know how the sausage is made.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Archive.org doesn't seem to have much for the really old stuff, which isn't surprising, but there are definitely a few threads I wish we still had access too, just for posterity. The dawning horror/mockery as people realized the Phantom console was a gigantic running gag was pretty damned funny.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The dark secret is that geth has gained a limited form of sentience and started to reject some of their commands.

We're all essentially working to socialize our own future AI overlord.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The dark secret is that geth has gained a limited form of sentience and started to reject some of their commands.

We're all essentially working to socialize our own future AI overlord.

We're doomed

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Oh, what's the best way to report a series of posts where several people are being geeselords and it's not really just a single thing?

Like sometimes a thread becomes completely derailed by an argument between a few people. Is reporting a post from each more useful than, say, reporting a recent reportable post and including in the message that actually it should include the last four pages and several people?

Like, I guess what I mean is it better for me to do the work and summarize or simply present all the facts and let you/the mods do the work of sorting it out?

This is a legit useful question since, out of laziness, I generally just reoort that sort of thing with a message like "this conversation is going nowhere and everybody is being goosey" or something.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

You do realize that this is an amazing observation and one I bet a lot of people on here haven't considered before, right?

It's called civility, look it up.

• Options
    ;)

• Options
    Also Tube do you really hate memes? :P

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016

If you recall how the Awesome Posts subforum used to work, I think it's similar to what mods see with reporting posts for violations. Ergo, reporting a post creates a thread and each report of a given post after the first just appends a comment.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Tube, do you ever get caught up by the draft system? By that I mean something fairly regrettable you decided against posting getting autosaved and then prepended to the start of your next post.

Do you leave these? Do you edit them out? Have you ever gone all CIA and used secret admin editing to make the mistake vanish?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

@Chanus Tube may have his own answer but I feel like the best thing is to do what you just did. Write an explanation; give context. The post you report doesn't have to be noteworthy. We get plenty of reports that are like "hey, this specific post isn't really the problem but this whole page has gotten kind of shitty" and those are totally fine and sometimes very useful.