Options

Ask Tube: D&D Edition

1101112131416»

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Geth is more of a metallic bluish purple color than rouge.

That's cause you don't make him blush.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    He or icy said in a previous post it was a feature but the occasional disconnect between the post and the reaction was not worth keeping it on.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Correct

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    What is it about Geth, or your "regular" mod tools, that makes it more convenient to ask Geth to do something than to do it yourself?

So like, I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that mods have something they can click on to lock a thread, but Geth is often used instead. Is it faster/more efficient to type out "Geth, close the thread" because, say, you have to go through a couple menu options to do it manually, or is it more of a bookkeeping thing? Are there any functions that can only be performed through Geth (like recycling the [chat] thread at 100 pages, maybe)?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    What about it just being cooler?

I mean, it's pretty awesome that they can get a possibly-murderous rogue AI to do their bidding, making them the coolest mod squad around, but that may just be me.

...I think I should go to bed now.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Of all the potential murderous AIs out there in assorted science fiction, why'd you go with Geth?
    I mean nothing against Geth, of course, just curious why it (they?) got picked.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Mass Effect was at the height of it's popularity at the time.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What is it about Geth, or your "regular" mod tools, that makes it more convenient to ask Geth to do something than to do it yourself?

So like, I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that mods have something they can click on to lock a thread, but Geth is often used instead. Is it faster/more efficient to type out "Geth, close the thread" because, say, you have to go through a couple menu options to do it manually, or is it more of a bookkeeping thing? Are there any functions that can only be performed through Geth (like recycling the [chat] thread at 100 pages, maybe)?

Having to summon Geth to open/close a thread or kick a poster from the thread provides a layer of transparency to users.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Having to summon Geth to open/close a thread or kick a poster from the thread provides a layer of transparency to users.

Wow, I never even considered that.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Tube, have the staff done anything to prevent the scraping of the forum by malicious third parties intent on deanonymizing certain posters?

Because the SA feminism/lgbt/blacklivesmatter threads have recently had some problems of that kind.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Tube, have the staff done anything to prevent the scraping of the forum by malicious third parties intent on deanonymizing certain posters?

Because the SA feminism/lgbt/blacklivesmatter threads have recently had some problems of that kind.

As far as I'm aware it's never happened. If people did try, I doubt they have the skill to get past whatever Icy would put in place.
    see317 wrote: »
    Of all the potential murderous AIs out there in assorted science fiction, why'd you go with Geth?
    I mean nothing against Geth, of course, just curious why it (they?) got picked.

Icy picked it. I think he just likes Geth.

On mobile in particular I have macros that make geth quicker. There are also some functions (like recycles and thread kicks) that you can't do without geth.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    which mod can bench which other mod?

Duck & I could comfortably bench any mod in pure weight terms, save perhaps Zerzhul. In real terms, benching a human is very difficult, they're an unstable weight.
    zepherin wrote: »
    What's the weirdest thing you've ever had to act on Tube?

I'm going to say the time Soulja Boy signed up to hawk some shit. Or the time the Green Power Ranger's personal assistant came to defend his honor.

Could you tell the Soulja Boy story, if you have time? Because I can't go to bed not knowing what happened.

There's not that much too it, he just turned up pimping something video game related he was doing. My hunch is that it was, in fact, a confederate working on his behalf.

I am disappoint

Ok I got one. How many posts are reported on the average day, and how many of them are frivolous? Have you had many funny ones?

Somewhere between 5-10 most days. Most aren't actionable. We don't like funny ones because they're generally wasting our time.

wow, that's really the average?

I would have guessed at least twice that many

have you kept track of how that number has changed over a long term?

It's a rough count, some days you can hit 10 reports from a single thread. I don't keep track of the number at all, it's not a super useful metric for me.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Didn't a guy get banned years ago for threatening to find and beat up a mod at the Penny Arcade Expo?

If I remember right the mod in question posted a picture of their beefy physique in front of a doorframe and basically just said "I'm 6'4" and look like this, see you at PAX" or something like that.
    I think that might be an urban legend, but it wouldn't particularly surprise me if it were true. I don't recall it. We certainly have a few beefy mods.

I just found this thread and wanted to jump in on this.

This sort of happened.

Some dude, many years back, totally posted that he was going to find me at PAX and kick my ass, and posted a picture of himself being Mister Tuff Stuff.

He didn't get banned for posting that or making the threat. He got banned a little while later for going completely unhinged at everybody laughing at how stupid he looked trying to be Mister Tuff Stuff on the internet and posting pictures of his Totally Sweet Chest Muscles.

Incidentally, that was one of my favorite PAX years ever, but for totally unrelated reasons.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ok I got one. How many posts are reported on the average day, and how many of them are frivolous? Have you had many funny ones?

Somewhere between 5-10 most days. Most aren't actionable. We don't like funny ones because they're generally wasting our time.

The exception to this is Tube reporting his own jokes to point out to the mod staff how hilarious he thinks he is some times.

This is not a rare occasion.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Last interjection -- I can't speak for the D&D infractions thread, but the one in SE is used for what I suspect is largely the same reason. Typically we only post about infractions in those if it is an extraordinary circumstance (in other words, something we find remarkably funny or dumb), if it is a fairly well known user getting banned for a particular reason (often a self-requested ban, to cut down on the rampant speculation and conspiracy theory silliness) or, most likely, in reaction to a trend in behavior we see occurring and we want to make a more public statement about it than the in-thread warning itself to help curtail the problematic behavior.

In general we (or at least I, and some of the SE mods from what I'm aware of) try to avoid using the infractions thread. In the past some users have looked at it like some shitty achievement unlocked to be mentioned in that thread, and would work to provoke us to "see their name in lights", as it were. Those types of users have not lasted long, and typically do not actually achieve the sort of mind-share they think their totally edgy antics inspire. They are momentary nuisances and quickly forgotten.

Someone else earlier asked about the warnings banners on posts in that thread, and I didn't see if Tube had answered it. It's not the mods pranking each other with infractions. Reactions are disabled in those threads, so people who ghoulishly agree or awesome with an announcement that someone has been punished receives a warning, but the way the forums work it shows that warning as a banner on that post. That's all.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    how often do people flag their own posts?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I wonder if there will be a rise in reports on Tubes posts now simply saying "did tube report this one?"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I wonder if there will be a rise in reports on Tubes posts now simply saying "did tube report this one?"

Do you think the feeling of being "clever" will outweigh the swift example you will be made of in order to dissuade others from trying to also be "clever"?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Do you think the feeling of being "clever" will outweigh the swift example you will be made of in order to dissuade others from trying to also be "clever"?

Oh like I was gonna do it, I was just wondering.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

Seems to happen every time a terrible pun appears.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Last interjection -- I can't speak for the D&D infractions thread, but the one in SE is used for what I suspect is largely the same reason. Typically we only post about infractions in those if it is an extraordinary circumstance (in other words, something we find remarkably funny or dumb), if it is a fairly well known user getting banned for a particular reason (often a self-requested ban, to cut down on the rampant speculation and conspiracy theory silliness) or, most likely, in reaction to a trend in behavior we see occurring and we want to make a more public statement about it than the in-thread warning itself to help curtail the problematic behavior.

In general we (or at least I, and some of the SE mods from what I'm aware of) try to avoid using the infractions thread. In the past some users have looked at it like some shitty achievement unlocked to be mentioned in that thread, and would work to provoke us to "see their name in lights", as it were. Those types of users have not lasted long, and typically do not actually achieve the sort of mind-share they think their totally edgy antics inspire. They are momentary nuisances and quickly forgotten.

Someone else earlier asked about the warnings banners on posts in that thread, and I didn't see if Tube had answered it. It's not the mods pranking each other with infractions. Reactions are disabled in those threads, so people who ghoulishly agree or awesome with an announcement that someone has been punished receives a warning, but the way the forums work it shows that warning as a banner on that post. That's all.

I think the thread serves its purpose. I don't want to be mentioned in it again, that's for sure.

Speaking on that subject though, I would like to thank the mods for having a very..Flexible? position on infractions, instead of some blanket hard and fast 3 strike rule. Sometimes you just get your heckles jimmied and you forget where you are and do a stupid thing.. and I think its wonderful to have a community that you can screw up in and still be a part of.. as long as those screw ups are on rare occasion, of course, and not a frequent sewage geyser

• Options

Mostly just me

• Options

Seems to happen every time a terrible pun appears.

If terrible puns were bannable offenses this place would be a ghost town.

• Options

Mostly just me

and in case you thought my post above about this was trying to sneak in a slam against tube, he's usually right

8406wWN.png