As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need some advice on 2D Game Development

TimeTurtleTimeTurtle Registered User new member
So recently, I have been trying to develop a 2D sandbox game of some sort. I made a simple one with C# on Unity3D, but I notice that Unity has its limitations. I want to know what the most efficient and easiest to learn language is, and a simple way to publish or compile my game with. I heard that this community is well experienced with this kind of stuff and I want to ask YOU guys for your own opinions.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    There's an amateur game dev thread in G&T that might get you a faster answer.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    There is no perfect platform. Every platform has limitations. Unity is fine for learning on.

Here is a good list on the options.
    https://www.slant.co/topics/341/~2d-game-engines

• Options
    JustforspiteJustforspite Registered User regular
    There's no perfect language to learn either. Each engine is going to have a different language running things on the back end. Try to find the engine that will have the fewest limitations for what you want or has limitations you can live with, and focus on learning to program in that language. What limitations are you running into with Unity out of curiosity that makes you want to seek out a new solution?

Thanks to @pkkaos for the awesome avatar!
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    If you want more control than unity and are prepared to do a lot more work look into Monogame.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    TimeTurtle wrote: »
    So recently, I have been trying to develop a 2D sandbox game of some sort. I made a simple one with C# on Unity3D, but I notice that Unity has its limitations. I want to know what the most efficient and easiest to learn language is, and a simple way to publish or compile my game with. I heard that this community is well experienced with this kind of stuff and I want to ask YOU guys for your own opinions.

I think you should elaborate on what you think the limitations are.

Unity has limitations, but for someone of your apparent skill level, none of them would be relevant without years of seasoned experience

Unity is an extremely good tool for amateurs as it provides a lot of important services that would take an individual programmer weeks, months, or even years to devise from scratch.

• Options
    JustforspiteJustforspite Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

I think you should elaborate on what you think the limitations are.

Unity has limitations, but for someone of your apparent skill level, none of them would be relevant without years of seasoned experience

Unity is an extremely good tool for amateurs as it provides a lot of important services that would take an individual programmer weeks, months, or even years to devise from scratch.

Also I've noticed that when you think a platform can't do something, often times there is someone in the community who has gone out and modded the system or built the thing you're looking for. Unity has a pretty impressive community and asset store.

Thanks to @pkkaos for the awesome avatar!
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I'm personally still a fan of the XNA Game Studio as a skeleton framework to work on, but I'm also much more interested in the programming aspects of games than artistic/visual aspects. The area you have the most interest in will have a big bearing on which tool fits best for you.