Options

The Good Good McElroy Family of Products

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    my family used to have baked potatoes with dinner when i was a child

i don't think i've eaten one for about 10 years

and I don't think i've ever eaten one with toppings. We only ever had them with a little butter

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Man finding a group in roll20 sucks.

Oh, cool, this game has two slots open! Oh, you apply by basically making a character and posting it in a forum thread along with tons of other people until whoever is running it picks someone. And even though this game is supposed to start in four hours, none of the people who have been applying for the last week seem to have gotten any replies.

Cool. Great.

If you're really interested in starting something up, I might be down. Not sure if it would be better to recruit here in SE or over in Of Dice And Men maybe.

Oh, cool, this game has two slots open! Oh, you apply by basically making a character and posting it in a forum thread along with tons of other people until whoever is running it picks someone. And even though this game is supposed to start in four hours, none of the people who have been applying for the last week seem to have gotten any replies.

Cool. Great.

If you're really interested in starting something up, I might be down. Not sure if it would be better to recruit here in SE or over in Of Dice And Men maybe.

I'd be down as well. Though I'm not very experienced with d&d.

...hmmmmmmmmm

• Options
    baked potatoes always seemed like diy mashed potato, except wrapped in skin

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Skins where most/all the vitamins are.

With vitamin d from the sun and something to give you vitamin a you can straight live on potato.

They're the true super food but I'm kinda biased

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    potato skins are alright but i can do without them

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Ok, potato side bar.

When I think cheese fries, i think of the way we always got them in Texas, especially at a DFW burger chain called Snuffers - pile of fries, covered in melted shredded cheddar cheese, topped with bacon and chives with ranch on the side.

We moved to Illinois and cheese fries are covered in garbage nacho cheese sauce and they suck. Is this just a Midwest thing? Which one are the REAL cheese fries (it's not the nacho cheese sauce ones.)

Although, one pub here covered them in queso which is pretty alright even if it's just velveeta queso.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular

Cool. Great.

I'd be down as well. Though I'm not very experienced with d&d.

We should grab "Dex Dynamo" and maybe Blankzilla and do a wrestling themed adventure...

Hell yes.

I'll just leave this here.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Ok, potato side bar.

When I think cheese fries, i think of the way we always got them in Texas, especially at a DFW burger chain called Snuffers - pile of fries, covered in melted shredded cheddar cheese, topped with bacon and chives with ranch on the side.

We moved to Illinois and cheese fries are covered in garbage nacho cheese sauce and they suck. Is this just a Midwest thing? Which one are the REAL cheese fries (it's not the nacho cheese sauce ones.)

Although, one pub here covered them in queso which is pretty alright even if it's just velveeta queso.

The midwest has the blandest, worst food.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    i have had shitty and fab versions of both cheese options. i sway towards real cheese, but must admit that sauce has more even coverage. my instinct on it is that shredded cheese is for normal times, cheese sauce is more booze and/or 'events' food. chili cheese fries should only have shredded, but for green chile queso...

avocado on green chile mac n cheese is not to be missed, and now i need to go scrounge up some food!

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    i have had shitty and fab versions of both cheese options. i sway towards real cheese, but must admit that sauce has more even coverage. my instinct on it is that shredded cheese is for normal times, cheese sauce is more booze and/or 'events' food. chili cheese fries should only have shredded, but for green chile queso...

avocado on green chile mac n cheese is not to be missed, and now i need to go scrounge up some food!

I have never had this. And somehow my life feels emptier.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    I am 25 and have not eaten a baked potato.

Wait

Molly agreed with this

Have neither of you eaten a baked potato?

If I was a rich man I'd buy a plane ticket right this second to bake some potatoes for you.

I have not, no

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Counter/Weight finale part 3
    So many good moments. Kobis flying Grace/Liberty into the sun was both unexpected and great. Fuck... Everything Dre does is great. I really missed him in the ground game. Poor Larry. Oh no! The Maakos! "you were a good dad" :(

This is all fantastic. I honestly have probably twenty more moments that are worth mentioning, but I'm tired. So good.
    Now that I've finished Counter/Weight, I have to say it lives up to the hype. The scale of what they made is incredible.

Keep it wavy

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    What if there was a fast food place that was only baked potatoes.

Oh wait.

spud-u-like.jpg

Used to go there quite often as a kid.

And used to have a baked potato for school lunch a couple of times a week.

Butter, bacon, bolognese, tuna mayo, cheese, beans, whatever. Load that shit up. And don't you dare leave the skin.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I mean, the good thing about a baked potato is that it's mostly a vehicle for whatever you want to put on it.

it can be, if you've got awful taste and don't appreciate the potatomeat like an objectively good human being

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    And the skin of the baked potato is one of the 2 best parts! (there's 2 parts total but that's not important right now) If it's been baked properly so the skin is crispy but not burnt, after you eat out most of the delicious ambrosia of the potato flesh, add another pad of butter and some more salt and pepper to taste to the inside of the skin and just pick it up and eat it. It's fucking delicious.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The salt from Luke on LMTYAE this week was exquisite.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The salt from Luke on LMTYAE this week was exquisite.

EVERYBODY LIKES GARBAGE

OBJECTIVELY EXCELLENT GARBAGE

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Ok, potato side bar.

Wrong, you just have a really crappy pallette.

And all a baked potato needs is a bunch of sour cream. Don't get me wrong, the whole loaded route with chili, cheese, bacon, and whatever other nonsense you wanna throw on is fine too, but that's just indulgence.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The Midwest actually has some pretty great stuff.

Chilli cookoffs and midwest style BBQ cookoffs and all sorts of great things like that! Plus you in most mid sized cities you get a decent selection of restaurants Toledo has a good number of Mexican places and Chinese places and Indian places are becoming more common. Plus we are like half way between Chicago and NYC so, we are like some weird little pizza oasis here, so many good places to get a pie in one 300k person city.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    rhylith wrote: »
    Ok, potato side bar.

Wrong, you just have a really crappy pallette.

And all a baked potato needs is a bunch of sour cream. Don't get me wrong, the whole loaded route with chili, cheese, bacon, and whatever other nonsense you wanna throw on is fine too, but that's just indulgence.

My trips to the midwest have been a bunch of restaurants mostly serving underseasoned burgers and filled with people who think yellow mustard is too spicy.

I'll stick with my city's incredible food scene with access to literally any country's cuisine within probably 5 miles of my apartment. But I dunno, maybe my palette's not refined enough.

rhylith on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    WELL LARDY FRUCKIN' DAR BIG CITY BOY SMEARING YOUR GREY POOP-ON ALL OVER YOUR GOLDEN GOSHDARN GOOSEBUGERS

STAY THE HELL OUTTA IOWA

• Options
    edited October 2016
    See when people say "underseasoned" that just tells me they've got a crummy sense of taste that's over-reliant on lazy taste-boosters. Most meat, when prepared properly, needs very little seasoning, if any.

(PS in case this seems personal, I'm totally just joshing you.)

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Eh actually most diners I've been to totally undersalt their burgers (if they use any at all) and they come out bland and kinda gross.

Salt is important in a burger because it helps bring out the flavor of the meat.

I mean it'd also help if they didn't use the cheapest frozen beef possible.

• Options
    That said there are good diners and bad diners

A proper diner should be able to execute a basic burger pretty well.

In the midwest you should look for places that offer generous portions too as that is totally a thing about the best diners out here.

You want to go out for lunch or breakfast and have to take home leftovers.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    if diner food was properly seasoned, you'd be pausing to savor the flavor and not demolishing your seventh plate and can I get another order of onion rings okay thanks

• Options
    The best diner I know in town is called Uncle Johns Pancake House.

They actually make really good flavorful food AND load the hell out of your plate.

Best of both worlds.

• Options
    the core principle behind modern "diner food," as applied by some diners and family restaurant, is that there is just so much food, either due to portion sizes or things like cheap pricing or unlimited X offers like apps or sides

this does not necessarily mean the food won't be good! it's just kind of an implicit understanding that you're there for quantity, not quality

if we're talking actual diners, they still live in a very limited capacity in the midwest

• Options
    it's important to remember that diners have a strong connection to emergency service workers and other people who need to come in for food at 3 AM

it's why many surviving diners are located near hospitals and police stations

and what a lot of those night shifts workers want at 3 AM is something to eat that isn't moving and, preferably, has been cooked, they're not especially picky

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Would you call a waffle house a diner?

I probably would

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

I probably would

No. It's very clearly a house.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I like cottage cheese on baked potatoes.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I could really go for about a dozen devilled eggs right now.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Devilled eggs are so good

• Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    Counter/Weight finale part 3
    So many good moments. Kobis flying Grace/Liberty into the sun was both unexpected and great. Fuck... Everything Dre does is great. I really missed him in the ground game. Poor Larry. Oh no! The Maakos! "you were a good dad" :(

This is all fantastic. I honestly have probably twenty more moments that are worth mentioning, but I'm tired. So good.
    Now that I've finished Counter/Weight, I have to say it lives up to the hype. The scale of what they made is incredible.

Keep it wavy
    Maybe the hardest part of that episode was listening to everyone around Maako die, waiting to find out if Austin would take Lazer Ted too. And then he twists that knife.

Austin Walker has ice in his veins.

I'm really impressed by the escalation throughout Counter/Weight. It starts with criminals running jobs for mid-level bureaucrats and ends with a king fighting a god on the ruins of a doomed planet. The series grew into something really special over its run, in a way that was completely unexpected.

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

I probably would

I think "diner chain" sums it up pretty well

I definitely don't think it should be wholly excluded, and the experience is fairly authentic (especially since you can't get waffle houses all over America, right? Like they aren't everywhere)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options

I probably would

No. It's very clearly a house.

Given their resiliency during extreme weather events, I will also accept the classification of "stronghold".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Presidents are people too is indeed a nice listen, but it's way breezier than I had hoped for

f2ojmwh3geue.png
This discussion has been closed.