Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    From what I understand, still no planetary suicide. Which, considering my flight proficiency, I'm more than fine with.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Yea no low flight, however if you're on PC that mod has been updated to work for foundation. As well someone made a new fast actions!

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Yeah, the old "instant click" mod broke with this update, so when I loaded the game up, I'd click things and nothing would happen. I was like "What the hell is... oh, right". Whoever decided that click-and-hold was the right move for PCs needs to sit in the corner and think about what they've done.

Thank goodness for the new "fast actions" mod. Now I just need a "make dialogue text and options appear on the screen instantly" mod.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Yeah, the old "instant click" mod broke with this update, so when I loaded the game up, I'd click things and nothing would happen. I was like "What the hell is... oh, right". Whoever decided that click-and-hold was the right move for PCs needs to sit in the corner and think about what they've done.

Thank goodness for the new "fast actions" mod. Now I just need a "make dialogue text and options appear on the screen instantly" mod.

It's less that they thought it was good for PC and more that there's just one set of code, as I understand it. One set of design decisions for all platforms.

• Options
    Which I classify as a flavor of "thought it was good for PC": They either thought it was reasonable enough for PC that it wasn't worth taking the time to create a separate input model for different platforms, OR they didn't have the resources to spend time/money on it. If it's the latter, well, OK, not much we can do about that. If it's the former, then they're just flat-out wrong (***opinion***).

But, I'm unconvinced that press-and-hold is the right decision for non-PC, either. To me, it just seems like they should have replaced "press-and-hold" with just "press" for all platforms.

• Options
    I personally like press-and-hold for almost every option they included it for, but am also playing with a controller on the PC, and am a known monster of a human being. So there is that.

But I also don't expect different input models on games. In fact, I get annoyed when a game comes to PC that had full controller support on console, but not on PC.

• Options
    Well, I also feel like in the Year of Our Lord 2016, if you're making a PC game that uses controllers on another system but does not permit controllers on the PC, then you have Made A Mistake(tm).

Including two control schemes instead of one is hard.

Making games is hard.

I recognize this fact.

You still have to execute, though.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Well, I also feel like in the Year of Our Lord 2016, if you're making a PC game that uses controllers on another system but does not permit controllers on the PC, then you have Made A Mistake(tm).

Making games is hard.

I recognize this fact.

I'm confused by this one? NMS automatically detects my 360 pad and maps all of the buttons. I don't actually play with it, but when it's plugged in it supports my 360 pad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »

Making games is hard.

I recognize this fact.

I'm confused by this one? NMS automatically detects my 360 pad and maps all of the buttons. I don't actually play with it, but when it's plugged in it supports my 360 pad.

We were speaking of theoretical other games that have controller support on the console they were released on, but not on the PC (say, Mass Effect), as a tangential line to control schemes and the feel of press-to-confirm feeling more right with a controller than KBAM.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    On that note, I just got a Steam Link and Controller yesterday. The Link seems to work great (wired), but the controller feels off for FPS aiming and got a bit weird when I was messing around with assigning inputs. Dunno if it was NMS bugging out or the controller, but as of one session of messing around with it I can't recommend it yet.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    On that note, I just got a Steam Link and Controller yesterday. The Link seems to work great (wired), but the controller feels off for FPS aiming and got a bit weird when I was messing around with assigning inputs. Dunno if it was NMS bugging out or the controller, but as of one session of messing around with it I can't recommend it yet.

You may need to tune in your Steam Controller in general. And by that, I mean delve into sensitivity settings and whatnot (there are several sensitivity settings beyond just basic aiming sensitivity) as well as check up on how buttons are activated (the triggers actually have a soft pull and hard pull options, the touchpads can be toggled so that you don't need to click them to use a button, etc). I would check the community templates that other people have put together and see if there's something there you like more (community stuff is nearly always better than the standard controller setup, even when there's a special template made for the game).

And a biiiiig help is to get familiar with enabling the gyroscopic function of the controller. It sounds a bit odd, but being able to aim by moving the controller a bit helps a ton when you figure it out.

I very much doubt the issue is the Steam Controller. I have one and I use it almost exclusively, using KBAM for only a very very limited selection of games. It DOES take some adjustment from both KBAM and a standard gamepad, but it is definitely way better than a regular gamepad and offers a lot of non-gaming functionality as well. Hands-down my favorite input device I've ever owned.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    I exclusively use a Steam Controller at the moment. It requires serious investment in looking through all the different ways to bind controls, and it's best to change the usual default (mouse-like camera) bound to the right trackpad for most games that were also on console to Joystick Camera. But I love it for being the hyper-customizable interface it is.

Just note that the radial selection option for the trackpads requires you to play in Big Picture mode, currently.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Oh, it does have tilt functionality? I didn't even know that so I was pretty weirded out when all input stopped working after changing the right track pad's input but for some reason tilting moved me around.

I probably will check out the community profiles; I was mucking around in a bunch of the advanced settings but couldn't find one that felt good. I really like the controller itself, so I'm gonna keep trying a bit more.

I also hadn't updated its firmware so maybe that will help.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Oh, it does have tilt functionality? I didn't even know that so I was pretty weirded out when all input stopped working after changing the right track pad's input but for some reason tilting moved me around.

I probably will check out the community profiles; I was mucking around in a bunch of the advanced settings but couldn't find one that felt good. I really like the controller itself, so I'm gonna keep trying a bit more.

I also hadn't updated its firmware so maybe that will help.

Oh yeah, it definitely has gyroscopic function, which can be set to activate depending on your preference. For most games, I have the gyroscopic set to enable when aiming down sights and sometimes on whenever the right touchpad is being used. You can even do things like make it so tilting the controller left or right will lean your character left or right, if the game has functionality like that.

You might want to start with the basic gamepad template, then change one thing at a time to see what you like and don't like. There are seriously an assload of features, but the learning curve is worth it.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I found a pink wild west planet:

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black

131DDE056EEC56F4D989144BFB7B0B49C912FC8B

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    So, anyone else not able to find any signal boosters? I want to try out some base building, but I can't find any signal boosters to locate a possible location.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Metallikat wrote: »
    So, anyone else not able to find any signal boosters? I want to try out some base building, but I can't find any signal boosters to locate a possible location.

signal boosters are craftable i believe (hit one of the d-pad buttons, down maybe?)

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Didn't they say that you build signal boosters now? I think I remember reading that in the patch notes.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Didn't they say that you build signal boosters now? I think I remember reading that in the patch notes.

Yep! Press Z if you're on PC.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So apparently the limit on base sizes can be removed.

I dunno if this was made with or without the limits but it's ludicrous.

Also, holy moly space travel is way more dangerous in survival. I mined up something like 1500 iron to make sure I had plenty of shield fuel, and ended up still dying because I literally couldn't recharge fast enough (D-pad down and then A twice recharges shields, so I was taking hull damage almost instantly). True, it was my second engagement with a pack attacking freighters, so not just being jumped while traveling.

I've noticed you're much more likely to get NPC help, tho, and they do actually help. The freighter fights had 7-8 enemies and 10-12 friendlies, and afterwards I got to dock on the freighter and get some loot (after dying; I got locked out at first because a stray shot hit the freighter; at least it didn't shoot back).

I think as soon as I find a non-extreme planet I'm going to craft a shield upgrade.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    It seems the reseeding has super changed the system I was in. Enough so I have named it the "Dead to Me System". Before I plunge onward, though, I feel the need to look about for things in the even older two systems I'd been in. Kinda also wish better ships weren't so expensive at this point, but on the plus side, it means I have several million credits when I signed in, and can probably get a freighter at my leisure.

Edit: yeah, it seems all the planets have changed, at least sort of. Like, my previous cash cow planet I had been on for a while looking for that last creature? Now a super hot planet. Still has cubes and balls, still hostile sentinels, but now hot instead of radioactive.

But I built a base on it (so I could get some of the upgrades) and now have a freighter.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    So this is a barren wasteland I landed on with nearly nothing at all on it; I think the weather occasionally got hot or something... all I remember is furiously scanning for clusters of Thamium, which were infrequent but usually had five or six plants. The colors were wonderful.

275850_20161129211532_1s.jpg
    275850_20161129211749_1s.jpg

Other stuff! Decided to fly along after a group of three NPCs, but got bored before they did anything interesting.
    275850_20161202210407_1s.jpg

Was extremely sad that I'm space poor because this freighter was sick.
    275850_20161202233629_1s.jpg

After something like 12 warps, I finally found Korvax space to hire a scientist. My base grows:
    275850_20161202215710_1s.jpg
    The following are all from my home planet, to showcase its variety (I didn't grab any of the purely desert areas). The sentinels are annoying but the weather is perfect, and most of the fauna is nonviolent. My one regret is that I put a typo in the system name.
    275850_20161202191451_1s.jpg
    275850_20161203131450_1s.jpg
    275850_20161203132749_1s.jpg
    275850_20161203132820_1s.jpg
    275850_20161203134048_1s.jpg
    275850_20161203134111_1s.jpg

It took me this long to realize there's a screenshot shortcut for controllers (logo button + right trigger). You can also warp back to your base from a station; I think I was trying from the same system earlier. Haven't tried warping back yet.

Now I just need to accumulate Antrium (100 for a storage container) and then I'll be living large.
    edit: and mere minutes after I went back to the game, the one thing I thought my home planet didn't have: a cave! Look at all that delicious glowy Antrium.
    275850_20161203150146_1s.jpg

Also! an important note. Storage containers are basically cubes with a terminal on one side. You can place them anywhere or snap them to your base, but if you connect them up the terminal can't face inward, meaning you can't access them from the inside. This is quite terrible if, hypothetically, your base is on an X-TREME sentinel planet. Witness the solution:
    Put a door in the wall, and then place the container just outside the door.
    275850_20161203153904_1s.jpg
    Perfect.
    275850_20161203153910_1s.jpg

The base continues to grow! Another important note: it looks like when you delete stuff, you get back the rarer materials but not stuff like Iron (or maybe not the full amount).

275850_20161203160123_1s.jpg

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    So, I went back to the two systems I had totally finished before the update, and this is what changed:

There was a radioactive moon I had called Chernobyl Prime that was all purple and green. It had since changed into a superheated moon, but there was something more interesting to me: the caves were that same purple the planet had before, and the green was now (more or less)Emiril deposits. It even had the same eels flying in the sky. So my theory (because I like a good story) is that the planet was advanced through its evolution by the update, and new dirt and growth started to settle atop the radioactive planet's surface. At least, that's the story I like to tell myself. The Frozen Wastes became The Irradiated Wastes, complete with mostly new creatures and much less water. I guess that's what happens when a frozen ball of a planet loses any atmosphere it had, and didn't have enough plants to offset the animals on that world.

The radioactive treasure planet with dangerous sentinels became another superhot planet (and my current home base), while it's neighbor became another radioactive planet.

So if you see the trending shift . . .

I still had 100% on the planets I'd already had 100% on, but some of the creatures (including the mythic Behemothlosaurus that took me 2 days of playing to find) are just gone, replaced by new fauna. It's weird and interesting, and since then I've poked at two other systems, small ones, and found a green ocean planet with waving grass and thick trees and bouncing plant slimes as far as the eye can see, and other wierd critters like this huge, docile monster:
    qw8dds9v7d11.jpg

The most surprising thing is, the planet isn't toxic. Isn't irradiated. Or super hot. Or desert. Or frozen.

It is the first planet I have found that is, on the whole, a nice place. And it's in the ass end of nowhere with no resources other than copper to speak of.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    I've been playing this a bit more. I got off the frozen heap I was on and went next door to the less frozen heap. It's actually not bad. Temps are cold but manageable and there's Emeril and Iridium everywhere. No predators that I've found. Drones all over the place but they leave me alone mostly. Well, there was that one I shot by accident when it flew between me and some Emeril I was mining but that wasn't my fault. The next five I blew up when they continued to interrupt my mining may have been my fault.

I found an abandoned base quite by chance so I claimed it and installed a construction terminal. Then I put a save point outside the front door. Then I went to the space station to hire some lackeys. Then I tried to use the teleporter to return to my base. Restricted. Teleporter offline until I make a few more warp jumps. Farking really?! Meh.

Downloaded some mods. Best mods I've found so far:
    Ship Launch cost reducer
    Move speed and Instant Lift off
    Instant button reaction

And the cream of the crop: Reverse Flight which lets you fly low and slow or even stop or back up.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    I've been playing this a bit more. I got off the frozen heap I was on and went next door to the less frozen heap. It's actually not bad. Temps are cold but manageable and there's Emeril and Iridium everywhere. No predators that I've found. Drones all over the place but they leave me alone mostly. Well, there was that one I shot by accident when it flew between me and some Emeril I was mining but that wasn't my fault. The next five I blew up when they continued to interrupt my mining may have been my fault.

I found an abandoned base quite by chance so I claimed it and installed a construction terminal. Then I put a save point outside the front door. Then I went to the space station to hire some lackeys. Then I tried to use the teleporter to return to my base. Restricted. Teleporter offline until I make a few more warp jumps. Farking really?! Meh.

Ship Launch cost reducer
    Instant button reaction

And the cream of the crop: Reverse Flight which lets you fly low and slow or even stop or back up.

I'm about to pick up that last one, as it sounds perfect. I've been toying with the idea of modding the plutonium launch cost, but it feels like one of the bigger changes in Survival that is altering the way I play the game, and I kind of like that. We'll see if I start to get frustrated with it as I go along -- I've found a couple of plutonium rich planets that have made it alright, and I'm looking forward to being able to stock a freighter with plutonium.

It's always weird to go back and play a game that has been made much more difficult, even knowing that the base experience was probably too easy. I've been pleasantly surprised with how necessary and good a lot of the Survival changes feel in spite of that -- it really feels like it's changed the game from "scan, find resource icon, harvest, repeat" to something a lot more authentic and dynamic.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Poketpixie wrote: »

Ship Launch cost reducer
    Instant button reaction

I'm about to pick up that last one, as it sounds perfect. I've been toying with the idea of modding the plutonium launch cost, but it feels like one of the bigger changes in Survival that is altering the way I play the game, and I kind of like that. We'll see if I start to get frustrated with it as I go along -- I've found a couple of plutonium rich planets that have made it alright, and I'm looking forward to being able to stock a freighter with plutonium.

It's always weird to go back and play a game that has been made much more difficult, even knowing that the base experience was probably too easy. I've been pleasantly surprised with how necessary and good a lot of the Survival changes feel in spite of that -- it really feels like it's changed the game from "scan, find resource icon, harvest, repeat" to something a lot more authentic and dynamic.

I tried the Hytech Low Flight mod but this one is so much better. It was really bugging me not being able to stop and check out the scenery.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    has anyone else been playing much survival mode? i'm plugging away looking for a spot to make camp but it's very difficult. all of the atmospherically favourable (ie, there is one and there are no hazard suit requirements) planets have hostile sentinels, and i'm starting to feel like it's hard coded.

it's a great way to play the game though. it really punishes mistakes. because you need a full launch thruster just to take off once, you can't idly land just to scope out / "discover" a planet or pick up an inventory upgrade. i landed on an extreme ice planet once without enough plutonium to take off again and just about lost my game - the storms could kill you in a minute

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I'm holding off on playing NMS until I get a better rig, but there's a twitter account NoMansScreens that just retweets gorgeous photos. <3

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    I'm more interested in the normal and creative game modes. Getting my ass kicked by a game is my exception, not my rule. :wink:

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I'm more interested in the normal and creative game modes. Getting my ass kicked by a game is my exception, not my rule. :wink:

It's great that there's a separate slot for each mode.

• Options
    @bsjezz I'm in a similar situation right now; booted it up yesterday to look for some Candecium or whatever, found a moon with something entirely different but decided to go check it out anyway.

It turned out to be extremely far away and also extremely hot; three pips of heat damage normally, with storms every couple of minutes.

275850_20161217200721_1s.jpg

I forgot I didn't have enough plutonium to take off again, so I've been digging a huge network of tunnels to get to Th and C so I can keep digging tunnels to find more Pu... and I've gotten about half a tank so far.

275850_20161217200707_1s.jpg

I wonder how much of this will have sealed up around me.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Finally got a chance to play with the new update. Base building is definitely a nice carrot, although I can feel that it may only feel fresh for a coupe of weeks until I can get most of the core building items. Gave creative a try but the messing around with building placement seems pretty frustrating, I'm not sure it's worth the time when I could just goof around in minecraft instead, unless I just end up using creative as a means of more easily exploring different planets.

In the meantime I stumbled upon this webapp and see if I can't find anything of interest near me. Probably not, since any already interesting catalogued stars(link) will have been totally revamped with Foundations, but it may be worth a shot.

https://pahefu.github.io/pilgrimstarpath/

Edit: I suppose if I want to strike out for greener pastures and keep the option of revisiting my current little empire, I just need to make damn sure that I'm diligent in teleporting back to my current star system from my base so it's one of my ~4 remembered stations?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Or find a nicer planet to base on and relocate.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Started this back up the other day on PS4, explored a couple new planets, and made the mistake of hanging around on one with "frenzied" sentinels. They chased me non-stop, and into orbit, where I shut the game off when it became clear after several space dogfights that there was no way out of the endless loop of combat. I'll check it out again in a couple weeks. But quick question, are there still a bunch of planets with relaxed "netflix and chill" type sentinels as you progress closer to the center of the galaxy? Not that the ending sounds like it's worth it, but I'd like to have that option without having to deal with a bunch of rampant AI bastards every time I land on a planet.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    I've only ever found a single super aggressive sentinel planet.

Though I really have to say that if you're trying to "beat" the game, you're doing it wrong. The Center or The Atlas paths are fine, I suppose, but the game really seems bent towards the "Explore" side of things most. Just, endless exploration and discovery.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    It did seem like I was getting an endless respawn of sentinel ships at this one planet, I hadn't experienced that before.

I recall that they reduced the number of buildings spawning on worlds, but has that drastically reduced monolith spawns? If so, I'm not super keen on the languages being a lot more difficult to learn, even if they're giving us some freebie communication with the specialists.

One question though, what is the importance of the 4 tiny white lines blinking on stars in the galaxy map? They pulse in and out, and I can't think of what they represent for the stars I've seen them on.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    I think the blinking stuff on the galaxy map has to do with other players having discovered them or something like that. Not at all sure, though.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    HG is supposedly releasing an update this week that adds some sort of vehicle you can drive around the surface of planets with. Might check it out if I can muster the strength to reinstall the game at some point. Absolutely no interest in base building, but tooling around a planet in a vehicle could be fun. Provided it isn't a pain in the ass to keep fueled up or drive, that is.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Provided it isn't a pain in the ass to keep fueled up or drive, that is.

shouldn't be a pain in creative mode at least. it will almost certainly require some kind of fuel though

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Cool, I'll have to try it out since I still have the game installed.

They seem to be listening to features that we want at least.