As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I decided to give camping resource extraction sites for bounties a way to raise money rather than waiting for lucrative ~1 million passenger routes, assassinations, etc.

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what but...it sucks. Really sucks. If I'm lucky, I run into a bounty worth ~50,000 or so, and he doesn't run away. If I'm not lucky, I get a bunch of contacts worth less than 10,000 each.

I like combat, but grinding for a few hours at the mercy of the RNG sucks. At least on a mission board, I don't have to be actively flying the whole time. On the other hand, I've never found a bounty worth 100,000---the closest I've ever gotten is assassination missions on pirate lords and that sort, and the payment for the actual mission beats the shit out of the bounty frankly--you'll get 700,000 or so for killing someone with a 40,000 bounty.

Maybe I just have bad luck?

Are you in a High or Hazardous RES? If so, and you jump in and find tiny bounties, reenter supercruise, loop back around and reenter the RES to reset it. If the first bounty you come across is still tiny, do it again. You should eventually get a high bounty coming in to start, and when it starts out with a high bounty they'll almost always all be in that same neighborhood from then on.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    what are engineers commodities?

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I decided to give camping resource extraction sites for bounties a way to raise money rather than waiting for lucrative ~1 million passenger routes, assassinations, etc.

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what but...it sucks. Really sucks. If I'm lucky, I run into a bounty worth ~50,000 or so, and he doesn't run away. If I'm not lucky, I get a bunch of contacts worth less than 10,000 each.

I like combat, but grinding for a few hours at the mercy of the RNG sucks. At least on a mission board, I don't have to be actively flying the whole time. On the other hand, I've never found a bounty worth 100,000---the closest I've ever gotten is assassination missions on pirate lords and that sort, and the payment for the actual mission beats the shit out of the bounty frankly--you'll get 700,000 or so for killing someone with a 40,000 bounty.

Bounties are determined by the type of ship that you're taking down and (to a lesser extent I think) their combat rank. A Deadly FDL will pay out 150k+ easily. Ditto a Deadly Anaconda. A Deadly Eagle is much lower. Like 10k (if that). Harder RES sites will tend to spawn bigger ships. It's also possible to get a "bad spawn" where you see mostly smaller ships. If you jump out and back in, you could be in the money with the FDLs and gunships and whatnot spawning in.

Further adventures in (what I have determined) is a really weird ass flight model in Elite.

I wanted to find out if each directional thruster (not the main engines, the directional ones) were independent in their speed, or if they draw from the same power source and split. IE, if you press just up, will you accelerate at the same rate as if you pressed both up and left? Answer- directional thrusters are independent. You will accelerate faster (in a diagonal direction) if you hold both up and left. (All readings taken with Flight Assist: OFF)
    Up was approximately 6 sec to 122 m/s.
    Left was the same 6 sec to 122 m/s.
    Up and Left was approx. 4.4 sec.

Ready for something screwy? Cool. Read on.
    This test, I was testing returning to zero FROM 122 m/s.
    Up - Approx 6 sec
    Left - Approx 6 sec
    Simply pressing FA:ON button with the throttle at zero- approx 2.25 sec.

Okay, weird. So I think, Maybe FA:ON is simply better at deceleration than FA:OFF. (I've determined previously that FA:OFF is better at acceleration than FA:ON)
    That's not what's happening.
    Main Thrusters Test, dropping from 122m/s (middle blue zone in my FAS) to Zero
    FA:OFF- approx 4.4 sec (Observation- the same speed as using both Up and Left to accelerate to 122m/s², meaning that Reverse Thrust is Equal to two Directional Thrusters)
    FA:ON- approx 5.75.

So, FA:ON doesn't decelerate the main thrusters faster. It does so at the same rate as if you used a single directional to cancel your vector speed. Interesting.

So where is the FA:ON decelerate to zero FROM a directional vector speed of 2.25 sec coming from?

Main Engine Thrusters, FA:OFF, Acceleration from 0 to 122m/s- 2.3 sec.

Close enough to say that the Flight Assist is somehow using the Main Engine Thrusters (moving forward, not reverse) to halt momentum from purely directional vector. Wow. That's weird, isn't it?

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Are you in a High or Hazardous RES? If so, and you jump in and find tiny bounties, reenter supercruise, loop back around and reenter the RES to reset it. If the first bounty you come across is still tiny, do it again. You should eventually get a high bounty coming in to start, and when it starts out with a high bounty they'll almost always all be in that same neighborhood from then on.

Also, keep an eye out for Imperial Clippers and Anacondas. One of the first outings to RESes when I first started playing was a Clipper worth 183,000 (KWS gave a nice little bump to that value). That said, I would not advise going up 1 on 1...definitely wait until the space-popo come by and start tearing into the bounty target.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

They are the cargo (not materials) needed for higher grade (starting at grade 2 I think) engineer blueprints. The ones that are actual cargo (articulation motors, modular terminals, etc).

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I was, though I'm not doing myself any favors by spending so little time in extraction/refinery economies that most of the areas are still marked "unknown."

Then again, I'm only in a Viper Mk IV--even fully upgraded, unless I'm mistaken a Deadly FDL would basically vaporize me in a few glances.

• Options
    jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular

There are currently three types of items you need to get engineers to pimp your ride, micro-materials, data and commodities. The former two are kept with your character but commodities are 1 ton cannisters that require your ship to have cargo racks and room to hold it.

The problem is that most of those are sold (or given as a mission reward) in inconvenient places and at inconvenient times and for people who are trying to modify their combat ships that usually have almost no cargo space and very little jump range, having to fly 150lys to get the required superconducting dildos and back is a huge pain in the pattela, especially when you want to do 20 RNG rolls but you can only hold 8 tons. Add that to the fact the devs don't want us to have cargo storage in stations or bases because they are afraid someone will go auction house supply kingpin on the starter systems, it's even more ridiculously inconvenient.

Without any commodities required, engineer mods just became ~30% less of a pain, which for people like me who were still recuperating our willpower to grind mods for my tow-truck anaconda and my canyon racer courrier, is a godsend.

• Options

I was, though I'm not doing myself any favors by spending so little time in extraction/refinery economies that most of the areas are still marked "unknown."

Then again, I'm only in a Viper Mk IV--even fully upgraded, unless I'm mistaken a Deadly FDL would basically vaporize me in a few glances.

Which is why you use the space-fuzz as a cannon-fodder. Remember, you don't need to do the majority of damage...just to participate on hull damage.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The commodities thing was a fucking bummer because it meant every ship had to have cargo space AND cart a bunch of shit around in case it was useful one day

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Which is why you use the space-fuzz as a cannon-fodder. Remember, you don't need to do the majority of damage...just to participate on hull damage.

Sounds extremely situation--you have to find a good bounty and hope the cops are on the scene to do the work with you. Though a Viper Mk IV can run away very fast at least.

I guess they changed how they distribute bounty credit--I remember earlier versions where you do do 30% on a target, if Internal Security did the other 70%, you'd get nothing.

• Options

Sounds extremely situation--you have to find a good bounty and hope the cops are on the scene to do the work with you. Though a Viper Mk IV can run away very fast at least.

I guess they changed how they distribute bounty credit--I remember earlier versions where you do do 30% on a target, if Internal Security did the other 70%, you'd get nothing.

Yeah, last night I hopped in my Viper MkIV for the first time in months (maybe even a year?) and hit up a nearby RES. One of the first bounties that showed up on my scanner I barely got the KWS completed and tapped the target a couple times with my pulse lasers before the cops rekt him. Like, literally, two hits with pulse lasers and I still got full bounty credit.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    The commodities thing was a fucking bummer because it meant every ship had to have cargo space AND cart a bunch of shit around in case it was useful one day

Also, pirates have a RAGING hard-on for all the engineer commodities. So you WILL get interdicted with 100 cr worth of them in your hold.

Meanwhile I can fly around with a hold full of Painite in my T9 and not worry too much. The difference is really stark. I wouldn't be surprised if they killed the commodities just because they couldn't figure out why that was happening.

• Options

In a High RES the cops are pretty omnipresent. You can even tag a hard bounty if there are no cops nearby, flip and boost towards the cops, and when you get close enough the cops will engage.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »

Bounties are determined by the type of ship that you're taking down and (to a lesser extent I think) their combat rank. A Deadly FDL will pay out 150k+ easily. Ditto a Deadly Anaconda. A Deadly Eagle is much lower. Like 10k (if that). Harder RES sites will tend to spawn bigger ships. It's also possible to get a "bad spawn" where you see mostly smaller ships. If you jump out and back in, you could be in the money with the FDLs and gunships and whatnot spawning in.

Further adventures in (what I have determined) is a really weird ass flight model in Elite.

I wanted to find out if each directional thruster (not the main engines, the directional ones) were independent in their speed, or if they draw from the same power source and split. IE, if you press just up, will you accelerate at the same rate as if you pressed both up and left? Answer- directional thrusters are independent. You will accelerate faster (in a diagonal direction) if you hold both up and left. (All readings taken with Flight Assist: OFF)
    Up was approximately 6 sec to 122 m/s.
    Left was the same 6 sec to 122 m/s.
    Up and Left was approx. 4.4 sec.

Ready for something screwy? Cool. Read on.
    This test, I was testing returning to zero FROM 122 m/s.
    Up - Approx 6 sec
    Left - Approx 6 sec
    Simply pressing FA:ON button with the throttle at zero- approx 2.25 sec.

Okay, weird. So I think, Maybe FA:ON is simply better at deceleration than FA:OFF. (I've determined previously that FA:OFF is better at acceleration than FA:ON)
    That's not what's happening.
    Main Thrusters Test, dropping from 122m/s (middle blue zone in my FAS) to Zero
    FA:OFF- approx 4.4 sec (Observation- the same speed as using both Up and Left to accelerate to 122m/s², meaning that Reverse Thrust is Equal to two Directional Thrusters)
    FA:ON- approx 5.75.

So, FA:ON doesn't decelerate the main thrusters faster. It does so at the same rate as if you used a single directional to cancel your vector speed. Interesting.

So where is the FA:ON decelerate to zero FROM a directional vector speed of 2.25 sec coming from?

Main Engine Thrusters, FA:OFF, Acceleration from 0 to 122m/s- 2.3 sec.

Close enough to say that the Flight Assist is somehow using the Main Engine Thrusters (moving forward, not reverse) to halt momentum from purely directional vector. Wow. That's weird, isn't it?

I'd love to see the code behind how the different flight modes work. From what I've seen, when flying FA-ON, all the thrusters (including main), draws from the same thrust-pool, with the main taking priority. You can easily see this by getting into a slide and compare how long it takes to stop with throttle at full and at zero. Is it the same when going FA-OFF? It would not surprise me if the results you are seeing are due to the fact that the flight control system uses "dampening" and not utilizing the full available thrust that you have access to when going FA-OFF, rather than there being different simulated thrust values for FA-ON/OFF. Or it's all fake and arbitrary, who knows :-)

This amused me:

4grD1as.jpg

More here: imgur.com/a/jzyud

• Options
    I'm wondering what they're going to replace commodities with as a requirement, if anything. Will they still be mission rewards? If not, you'll still need modular terminals for that one unlock

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I'm wondering what they're going to replace commodities with as a requirement, if anything. Will they still be mission rewards? If not, you'll still need modular terminals for that one unlock

I think they're removing commodities from the blueprints list because it's the most efficient way for them to do it, time/work wise. Changing unlocks would be more work, so I don't see them doing that. I'm not trying to be negative. That just seems to be the reasoning from watching the live stream. "Ain't nobody got time for that shit." was a big part of it. :)

Frontier QA acknowledged the possible bug from my stopwatch shenanigans. So that's neat. I might make a video for them (they requested it). Should be easy to do, but it eats into game time, so I'm not sure how motivated I am to go that far.

Derrick on
  • Options
    Derrick wrote: »

I think they're removing commodities from the blueprints list because it's the most efficient way for them to do it, time/work wise. Changing unlocks would be more work, so I don't see them doing that. I'm not trying to be negative. That just seems to be the reasoning from watching the live stream. "Ain't nobody got time for that shit." was a big part of it. :)

Frontier QA acknowledged the possible bug from my stopwatch shenanigans. So that's neat. I might make a video for them (they requested it). Should be easy to do, but it eats into game time, so I'm not sure how motivated I am to go that far.

They said they were removing them from the blueprints, but not from the game. So I took that as you still need them for Qwent (or whoever it is).

• Options
    So either missions will now drop useless commodities or there'll need to be an alternative means to unlock that guy

• Options
    Well, you'll still need to collect them to unlock. After that they are useless yea.

• Options
    So most missions are now dropping vendor trash that you need a cargo hold for anyway or you can't accept the mission

• Options
    Also! This Asp, unmodded, runs cool enough that I can get the windows to ice by turning everything off but life support. I wonder if, with modding, I could get it to run cool enough to ice with thrusters on. It can also run silent for about a minute, which is neato. Is there any one ship that's known for running cool? Especially a big one?

• Options
    Not any big ones that I can think of, but both Diamondbacks are known for running exceptionally cool. In my DBX i can start charging the FSD while still fuelscooping at max and not overheat.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    So most missions are now dropping vendor trash that you need a cargo hold for anyway or you can't accept the mission

That's a good point. Wish it would give you a warning and then let you accept it. Can you not accept them, or not complete them?

Bigity on
  • Options
    Also! This Asp, unmodded, runs cool enough that I can get the windows to ice by turning everything off but life support. I wonder if, with modding, I could get it to run cool enough to ice with thrusters on. It can also run silent for about a minute, which is neato. Is there any one ship that's known for running cool? Especially a big one?

I've wondered about modding my FAS with g5 low emissions power plant and clean drive tuning. Could try something similar with the Asp.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016

I've wondered about modding my FAS with g5 low emissions power plant and clean drive tuning. Could try something similar with the Asp.

Thinking about doing this after the patch hits live. Low emissions, potentially low power bi-weaves (when/if I want them on), clean drives, and some close in weapons (PAs and cannons, or maybe all frags). I really want to see what these changes to NPCs to make them less effective against silent running means.

Bigity on
  • Options
    I figure I'm going to need something to make things safer for my final station approach because if I get scanned at the last minute and fail I'm going to lose my shit. I feel like a silent running approach is probably a relatively safe bet, even thought it'll mean going in without shields. It's going to be fucking nailbiting either way.

11 thousand light years to go before my destination. Sagittarius A is on the way, without looking I'd say it's 5 or 6. Once I'm at the halfway point I'll decide whether to stop by Jaques on the way back. It's a pretty big detour, but I'd be able to repair, refuel, drop off data and maybe swap some modules.

What's the security like there anyway? Am I going to get scanned?

• Options
    You can easily skip scans without SR. Line up with the slot 6-8k out. Boost towards station. Get docking permission, and keep going fast enough to get inside before a scan can complete and not so fast you paste yourself on the back of the station.

Still, that way is also nailbiting :) Especially in open where players don't always fly out of the slot on their green side.

• Options
    Oh yeah, I've done it before but there's a decent failure rate that I'm not willing to risk after a three week long voyage with 68 million credits on the line. I want to go in invisible, if that will work.

• Options
    Why are you so hot to avoid a scan, if I may ask?

• Options
    are you a cop

• Options

My passenger hates scans. I can maybe, hopefully get away with one, but it has the potential to bork the mission. I've lost a passenger to a second scan before, and don't want to risk even one because 3 week voyage, 68 million credits etc

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    They will remove commodities from all Engineer blueprints in 2.2.03.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss

as far as things that will get me back into this game goes, this is pretty damn high on the list! I was getting somewhat frustrated having to cart all that nonsense around. The engineering stuff seemed great otherwise, at least what I saw of it.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    I'd like to dig into the engineering stuff more, even if it's just to unlock them so they're there if I want them. It seems like the best way is to tootle around in an SRV for an hour or two collecting materials for a bunch of level 1s.

• Options
    are you a cop

No just curious as to why an explorer would need to avoid scans :) Passenger makes sense, I just haven't done any of those missions yet.

And my legacy fine tab of 60 some odd million bucks means I certainly am no cop.

• Options
    I'd like to dig into the engineering stuff more, even if it's just to unlock them so they're there if I want them. It seems like the best way is to tootle around in an SRV for an hour or two collecting materials for a bunch of level 1s.

You can get to rank 3 with an engineer with 30ish grade 1 mats. 4 and 5 is where it slows way way down. I think someone did it as a test once and it was like 200-250 grade 1 blueprint mats to hit rank 5.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Ooooh... from the patch notes:

* Tweaks to make NPCs less effective against silent running
    * NPCs should't always be so accurate with rail guns

Me like!

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    On the one hand I think this patch is a really great balance pass and super sensible game design.

On the other hand if I don't get the deets on multicrew soon I'm going to lose my shit.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    When I dock under silent running, I am way, way more nervous that I will take too long and some cop will zoom up and scan me, than I am about hitting something while my shields are down. If I hit the station I will take 2% hull damage, which is nothing. If I hit another ship and it's destroyed, the station's guns would burn through my shields like they were nothing.

Use silent running, move with alacrity, just don't collide with traffic.

• Options
    I had one of those paranoid passenger missions, and miscalculated my distance when boosting in on silent running. I ended up wedging my AspX under the ring at the back of the station. Which wouldn't have been bad, but my passenger also didn't like me taking hull damage, and I kept forgetting I was in reverse from trying to slow down.

I finally managed to get loose and dock, with my passenger one step away from giving me the finger.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    This passenger has put up with 6 points of hull damage over the trip without a peep. That's from occasional fluffs on jump leading to hard exits.

This discussion has been closed.