Options

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. [MOVIES]

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I rarely cry in the theater. Only movie I can remember off of the top of my head that made me absolutely bawl in theaters was The Green Mile.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh wait! Furious 7 of course!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Stilts wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    Kubo and Arrival both got me to cry in theaters.

The only other thing to do that in like 5-10 years was the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary.

Tom Baker man.

The first TV show that ever made me cry was the finale of Babylon 5 where they do a controlled demolition of the space station.

The first book to make me cry was an Animorphs prequel novel.

So what I think I'm starting to realize is that sci-fi is more likely to open my tear ducts.

excuse me but which animorphs prequel novel was it

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    10 Cloverfield Lane was the biggest surprise for me this year, mostly because they kind of hid that it existed until like, a month before it was released, and then it was SUPER good. I could guess that I'd love Moana or Popstar going in, and a lot of the other movies I was really looking forward to didn't end up living up to expectations, so it was really nice to have something hit like that for me.

I really hope they turn Cloverfield into a weird anthology series where they don't even let anyone know they're making one until it's almost out.
    It's not quite the same, but they did reveal that the God Particle film that Abrams produced and comes out in February has been revealed to be a Cloverfield flick

it also has an absolutely killer cast: David Oyelowo, Daniel Bruhl, Ziyi Zhang, Chris O'Dowd, Elizabeth Debicki and Gugu Mbatha-Raw.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    10 Cloverfield Lane was the biggest surprise for me this year, mostly because they kind of hid that it existed until like, a month before it was released, and then it was SUPER good. I could guess that I'd love Moana or Popstar going in, and a lot of the other movies I was really looking forward to didn't end up living up to expectations, so it was really nice to have something hit like that for me.

I really hope they turn Cloverfield into a weird anthology series where they don't even let anyone know they're making one until it's almost out.
    It's not quite the same, but they did reveal that the God Particle film that Abrams produced and comes out in February has been revealed to be a Cloverfield flick

it also has an absolutely killer cast: David Oyelowo, Daniel Bruhl, Chris O'Dowd, Elizabeth Debicki and Gugu Mbatha-Raw.

wait what why was I not notified of this

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    What if the quality jump as the same as from Cloverfield to 10 Cloverfield Lane? Because holy shit that would be an amazing movie.

Edit- And I mean this from a place of quite enjoying 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the god particle is an anagram for I am cloverfield three

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

The only other thing to do that in like 5-10 years was the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary.

Tom Baker man.

The first TV show that ever made me cry was the finale of Babylon 5 where they do a controlled demolition of the space station.

So what I think I'm starting to realize is that sci-fi is more likely to open my tear ducts.

The Andalite Chronicles, I believe

Also I'm looking through Letterboxd to remind myself of what I saw this year, and I just discovered I somehow missed watching a Makoto Shinkai film

Well I guess I know what I have to do now

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

I am cloverfield three is an anagram for "a diversionary ham"

• Options
    The only plot details are:
    A shocking discovery forces a team of astronauts aboard a space station to fight for survival while their reality has been altered.

So it seems like they are definitely going with the Cloverfield flicks being sci-fi anthologies

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

I am cloverfield three is an anagram for "a diversionary ham"

We aren't going back Jack.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

Tom Baker man.

The Andalite Chronicles, I believe

Also I'm looking through Letterboxd to remind myself of what I saw this year, and I just discovered I somehow missed watching a Makoto Shinkai film

Well I guess I know what I have to do now

it's weird that the defining theme for those chronicle books was "this alien turns into a different alien so they can fuck/marry that alien"

• Options
    A shocking discovery forces a team of astronauts aboard a space station to fight for survival while their reality has been altered.

So it seems like they are definitely going with the Cloverfield flicks being sci-fi anthologies

As long as they don't tie these together in any way beyond silly little easter eggs I will remained stoked.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Those plot details make me wonder how close the release of God Particle will be to Life (the movie that seems to be hinting at being The Thing on a space station). Would be pretty funny to see them within a month of each other

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    coco_612x380.jpg?itok=846lJRdM
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/06/pixar-coco-cast-plot
    The world of Pixar is expanding in a big, dead, musical way in November 2017.

Coco is Pixar’s next original movie, and it’s the sole novel film for the studio over the next few years as production ramps up for Cars 3 (due in June 2017) and, later, The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4.

Coco follows the secret musical ambitions of Miguel, who resides in a lively, loud Mexican village but comes from a family of shoemakers that may be the town’s only music-hating household. For generations, the Riveras have banned music because they believe they’ve been cursed by it; as their family history goes, Miguel’s great-great-grandfather abandoned his wife decades earlier to follow his own dreams of performing, leaving Imelda (Miguel’s great-great-grandmother) to take control as the matriarch of the now-thriving Rivera line and declare music dead to the family forever.

But Miguel harbors a secret desire to seize his musical moment, inspired by his favorite singer of all time, the late Ernesto de la Cruz (Bratt). It’s only after Miguel discovers an amazing link between himself and De la Cruz that he takes action to emulate the famous singer and, in doing so, accidentally enters the Land of the Dead.

In the beautiful underworld, it’s not long until Miguel encounters the souls of his own family — generations’ worth of long-dead but no less vivacious Rivera ancestors, including great-great-grandmother Imelda. Still, given the opportunity to roam around the Land of the Dead, Miguel decides to track down De la Cruz himself. He teams up with another friendly (and skeletal) spirit — a trickster named Hector, voiced by Bernal — to find De la Cruz, earn his family’s blessing to perform, and return to the Land of the Living before time runs out.

• Options
    edited December 2016

As long as they don't tie these together in any way beyond silly little easter eggs I will remained stoked.
    David Oyelowo says he was surprised by the announcement and that he doesn't see a connection between it and the other Cloverfield flicks so it seems like they are doing exactly that

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    coco_612x380.jpg?itok=846lJRdM
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/06/pixar-coco-cast-plot
    The world of Pixar is expanding in a big, dead, musical way in November 2017.

Coco is Pixar’s next original movie, and it’s the sole novel film for the studio over the next few years as production ramps up for Cars 3 (due in June 2017) and, later, The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4.

Coco follows the secret musical ambitions of Miguel, who resides in a lively, loud Mexican village but comes from a family of shoemakers that may be the town’s only music-hating household. For generations, the Riveras have banned music because they believe they’ve been cursed by it; as their family history goes, Miguel’s great-great-grandfather abandoned his wife decades earlier to follow his own dreams of performing, leaving Imelda (Miguel’s great-great-grandmother) to take control as the matriarch of the now-thriving Rivera line and declare music dead to the family forever.

But Miguel harbors a secret desire to seize his musical moment, inspired by his favorite singer of all time, the late Ernesto de la Cruz (Bratt). It’s only after Miguel discovers an amazing link between himself and De la Cruz that he takes action to emulate the famous singer and, in doing so, accidentally enters the Land of the Dead.

In the beautiful underworld, it’s not long until Miguel encounters the souls of his own family — generations’ worth of long-dead but no less vivacious Rivera ancestors, including great-great-grandmother Imelda. Still, given the opportunity to roam around the Land of the Dead, Miguel decides to track down De la Cruz himself. He teams up with another friendly (and skeletal) spirit — a trickster named Hector, voiced by Bernal — to find De la Cruz, earn his family’s blessing to perform, and return to the Land of the Living before time runs out.

This sounds amazing.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what's the deal with all the day of the dead movies recently

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    I remember seeing something about Rundown and Rock and people basically pushing Seann William Scott as just stiffler and I think i'd be remiss if I didn't link what I believe is one of the greatest comedies of the past few years...

not to mention i'm linking the NSFW sequel trailer afterwards that I cannot wait for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfOZaquIhG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch1_SliHPbE

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    That sounds really good and also a little weirdly similar on a surface level to Book of Life so far as being heavily Land of the Dead and music focused

but I'm sure they will be very distinct and that it will be awesome

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's like a significantly less fun sounding version of Book of Life

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I was so excited for book of life

but boy I don't care for jukebox musicals

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

David Oyelowo says he was surprised by the announcement and that he doesn't see a connection between it and the other Cloverfield flicks so it seems like they are doing exactly that

The connection will be Tagruato Corp / Bold Futura showing up on a monitor or something.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I had a similar reaction to it in the end. It was fun, but I would have honestly preferred it without the musical numbers.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    HooverFan wrote: »
    I remember seeing something about Rundown and Rock and people basically pushing Seann William Scott as just stiffler and I think i'd be remiss if I didn't link what I believe is one of the greatest comedies of the past few years...

not to mention i'm linking the NSFW sequel trailer afterwards that I cannot wait for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfOZaquIhG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch1_SliHPbE

Goon has Liev Schreiber as a better Sabertooth than anything we saw in Wolverine Origins.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    another year, another sharply edited video from david ehrlich

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'm gunna have to do a double feature of The Arrival and Arrival.

And then do The Room and Room.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    I do think the whole THIS FAMILY HATES MUSIC thing is...a little lame

Like, Book of Life had the main dude whose name I forget's dad hate his love of music because he wanted him to focus on bullfighting which is cliché but is more palatable to me than a whole family just hating the very idea of music

but it's Pixar so it'll probably be great

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    how about a movie where a town hates dancing

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    I'm actually really sad Sean William Scott stopped doing things

I enjoyed him in basically everything he did other than american pie

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Also lame!

But wasn't it, like, lively teen dancing and not all dancing period? I honestly know nothing about Footloose.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Also lame!

But wasn't it, like, lively teen dancing and not all dancing period? I honestly know nothing about Footloose.

it was pretty much just dancing

That movie is kind of insane

• Options
    I'm okay with Jukebox Musicals, don't absolutely love them either, but I really liked the Book of Life version of I Will Wait For You

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    God damn it Zack watch Footloose

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    God damn it Zack watch Footloose
    God no

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Footloose is great, you should watch it.

Even the remake wasn't that bad, altogether, although it was longer than it needed to be for sure.

• Options
    Wait John Lithgow is the evil dance hating Reverend?

Hrm.......

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    you need to watch at least one movie where a town or youth center is saved by the power of dancing before you die

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    you need to watch at least one movie where a town or youth center is saved by the power of dancing before you die
    I have seen Dancin': It's On!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    John Lithgow is great in footloose

This discussion has been closed.