Options

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. [MOVIES]

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If we're going by "hasn't left my consciousness for very long since seeing it," my best film this year is probably Suicide Squad, hahaha

Being memorable isn't the same thing as being good.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    yes thank you for telling me Suicide Squad was bad

i'm well aware

but my friends and I have drawn so much ironic enjoyment from it that I can't call it any less than a success (for me, personally)

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I think Apocalypse was the worst film I saw this year

although I'm actually surprised it came out this year it feels like so long ago

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Top ten's hard for me this year, I think. There were a few movies I really dug, but most of the movies I saw this year I just...didn't care about that much. I still haven't seen Arrival or Rogue One, but if I had to make a top 10 it's probably...well, I hope I like them, I've seen more than 10 movies but I don't want to put some of them on a list like this, so it's a top 8 now

8) Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    7) ...Civil War?
    6) Star Trek: Beyond
    5) Ghostbusters
    4) Zootopia
    3) Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
    2) Moana
    1) 10 Cloverfield Lane

I saw Doctor Strange and it was fine but I don't like it enough to put it on here. I barely liked Civil War enough to put it on here. Magnificent 7 was also fine, but I had completely forgotten that it existed and it's not the first time that's happened since I saw it. Jason Bourne was completely superfluous and kind of bad, honestly. Worst movie I saw this year was Independence Day: Resurgence, which managed to fuck up everything that made the original movie good and pile on a bunch of extra awful shit whenever it could. It's kind of remarkable how bad that movie turned out to be.

I thought Deadpool was kind of shitty and all of its jokes were bad and I'm mad they shoved Colossus into a movie that was completely up its own ass. I saw one scene of Batman v Superman and it was when Batman finds out Superman's mom's name is ALSO Martha and it was somehow WAY WORSE than advertised, which I didn't think was possible

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Huh, guess I've seen 10 from this year after all, forgot some things I'd watched online were that recent.
    1. Arrival
    2. Shin Godzilla
    3. 10 Cloverfield Lane
    4. Civil War
    5. Zootopia
    6. Star Trek Beyond
    7. Doctor Strange
    8. Deadpool
    9. Ghostbusters
    10. Ip Man 3

Managed to squeeze enough onto the list to bump off both Batman vs Superman and Zoolander 2, even.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Just got out of Arrival

It was very definitely based on a science fiction short story, in the best way possible
    Some odd editing in there and it could easily have had a couple more scenes of direct exposition without giving too much away or killing the pacing but overall it was very definitely solid. And god damn is having properly alien aliens refreshing.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I'm gunna have to do a double feature of The Arrival and Arrival.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »

Would you like to see the ruins my friend?

I recall liking The Arrival, but that line is literally the only thing I remember from it now.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Relistening to some of my favorite Moana tracks on Spotify, I'm remembering that "Shiny" is an extremely Flight of the Conchords song. Jermaine is basically doing his Bowie impression for, like, a third of it. That was a fantastic casting decision right there.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I felt like he sounded a lot like Tim Curry during that song

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I felt like he sounded a lot like Tim Curry during that song

Yeah, Jermaine's normal voice has a splash of Curry in it. And that tends to get pronounced when he's performing.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Splash of Curry is my Indian Rocky Horror performance group.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Okay yep.

Going to treat myself to some cinema tomorrow.

Think maybe I'll just see two movies.

Probably Moana and Arrival?

I wan't to catch up on all the other marvel movies at some point and will probably just rent Dr Strange when it's available for that.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    I hate the end of the Nausicaa manga too much to put it above anything.

Dare I ask why?
    the ending like the finale or like the very end?

In the manga
    It's implied that humans have adapted to the toxic forest so much that they can no longer survive in an actually clean environment. So once the forest finishes purifying the land humanity will die.

I think it runs completely counter to Nausicaa's whole mission and the rest of the story. Plus, it's just a fucking bummer of an ending and I don't like those.
    Nausicaa implied there was still a chance. People adapted to survive where they were, and were learning ways to deal with the world as it came. She chose to bank on that rather than accept that the architects of the world's demise deserved power. And even if she was wrong, it was better than letting tyrants and monsters have their way.

It's not a certainty, but if it was certain, they wouldn't call it hope.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I still can't get over the decision to film Crouching Tiger 2 entirely in English.

I also get the impression that a lot of you - on those "strongly disagree, mildly disagree, neutral, mildly agree, strongly agree" tests - are the sort to fill in the strongly disagree and strongly agree bubbles as often as possible, based on movie opinions.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's the internet, everything is either "awesomesauce" or "the worst evar"

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I still can't get over the decision to film Crouching Tiger 2 entirely in English.

I also get the impression that a lot of you - on those "strongly disagree, mildly disagree, neutral, mildly agree, strongly agree" tests - are the sort to fill in the strongly disagree and strongly agree bubbles as often as possible, based on movie opinions.

legit offended rn

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

I honestly don't think I've seen that in the last few pages at all.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

I honestly don't think I've seen that in the last few pages at all.

I've seen it on literally every post on the last few pages.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's not literally present, but it's the nature of the internet. Like how youtube used to have a star system but people only ever gave videos 1 or 5 star ratings. So they swapped it out for the thumbs up/thumbs down system they have now. Everything is either good or bad.

• Options
    okay stop saying literally

it's literally making me mad

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    it was hard to come up with strong opinions on a lot of the movies I saw this year, actually

• Options
    it was hard to come up with strong opinions on a lot of the movies I saw this year, actually

Arrival is the only one I feel really strongly about?

And that's largely because it made me sob like a baby in the theater, so it kinda earned that.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

And then do The Room and Room.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    all the movies that made me cry in the theater this year are childrens films

I don't really know what that means

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

And then do The Room and Room.

I've never seen either. So this is precisely how I'm going to see these for the first time.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    all the movies that made me cry in the theater this year are childrens films

I don't really know what that means

I wouldn't call Arrival a children's film...

• Options
    I haven't seen Arrival

it honestly doesn't really seem like my kind of thing

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    i saw all of arrival's emotionally manipulative tricks (not a condemnation -- they are tricks) coming from a mile away, so i sat there and waited for something to surprise me

it was pretty, it told a decent story, all the performances and effects were good, but it just didn't do enough different to really move me

meanwhile, i bawled my eyes out an episode of boy meets world i've seen a million times and watched later that night so you know

maybe it is me that is the broken one

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Kubo and Arrival both got me to cry in theaters.

The only other thing to do that in like 5-10 years was the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary.

Tom Baker man.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I see way too many movies since going to watch them tends to be an outing with friends, so its hard for me to figure out a list of top movies.

But I think Moana might be at the top?

Not like the best movie, but probably my favorite. Just loved that movie.

• Options
    Moana and Kubo both did it to me

Also TMNT 2 but I'm pretty sure that's a just me thing

• Options
    Oh yeah, the ways Arrival tries to tug at your heartstrings are extremely blatant. And normally that doesn't work well with me, but it hit me really hard for some reason this time.

I can't even really explain why it did.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I don't generally tear up during sad scenes in movies as much as I do during like...really triumphant ones. Moana had a nice mix of both!

• Options
    Admittedly this year (even outside of celebrity deaths, world events and what have you) has me as a pretty raw nerve.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

The only other thing to do that in like 5-10 years was the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary.

Tom Baker man.

The first TV show that ever made me cry was the finale of Babylon 5 where they do a controlled demolition of the space station.

The first book to make me cry was an Animorphs prequel novel.

So what I think I'm starting to realize is that sci-fi is more likely to open my tear ducts.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    yeah Moana made me tear up at times I really didn't expect
    like during We Know the Way, just how full of life and pride the explorers were, really got to me

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Letterboxd says I've seen 31 2016 movies god damn

I can't say there's a clear number one and hell if I'm gonna rank 'em, but I remember a lot of movies being really good. I mean, within the last ten days, I've seen Arrival, Hell or High Water and Hunt for the Wilderpeople and these are all fantastic.

I still haven't seen Green Room though. I should really get around to that.

• Options
    10 Cloverfield Lane was the biggest surprise for me this year, mostly because they kind of hid that it existed until like, a month before it was released, and then it was SUPER good. I could guess that I'd love Moana or Popstar going in, and a lot of the other movies I was really looking forward to didn't end up living up to expectations, so it was really nice to have something hit like that for me.

I really hope they turn Cloverfield into a weird anthology series where they don't even let anyone know they're making one until it's almost out.

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Tom Baker man.

The first TV show that ever made me cry was the finale of Babylon 5 where they do a controlled demolition of the space station.

The first book to make me cry was an Animorphs prequel novel.

So what I think I'm starting to realize is that sci-fi is more likely to open my tear ducts.

A lot of it for me is how fundamental that silly and quite often terrible show is for me. Somehow a copy of the Doctor Who Monster Book (Doctors 1-4) ended up in the library of my super rural town. And I when I was in kindergarten I would check it out incessantly and draw the monsters from it. No one else ever knew what I was ever on about so it felt like my own little hidden mythology.

As I grew up it ended up leading me into a lot of stuff a love. Hitchhiker's Guide off the top of my head. So it's got this super emotional connection for me.

Even if I'm the first to admit 90% of it is rubbish.

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.