Options

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. [MOVIES]

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I just want one good street dance movie.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

someone hasn't seen dancin': it's on

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I just finished it up

The cameos were super shoved in there and gratuitous and I didn't love how action movie fighting times it got towards the end but I still really, really liked the movie. Like others have said, McKinnon and Hemsworth totally steal the show.

I thought Aykroyd's cameo was delightful

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I was disappointed by the post-credits cameo because I had convinced myself that Rick Moranis was going to show up

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I liked Mckinnon but had never seen her in anything else. Now that I know her better I think her habit of pulling focus as hard as she possibly can would probably annoy me more.

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I was disappointed by the post-credits cameo because I had convinced myself that Rick Moranis was going to show up

He ain't gonna be in your movie for any amount of money

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2010) all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFfSvCywEG8

Almost nothing like the anime film. Gets kinda slow about a third of the way through, and some plot twists were telegraphed too early. Still decent overall.

I didn't even know they adapted that to live-action

Huh

I really loved The Girl Who Leapt Through Time as an animated movie. It wasn't really that interesting a plot, the characters are likeable but nothing special, but none of that matters because the animation is fantastic and takes real joy in just like, capturing movement. Without that sense of, well, animation, I don't really know what the appeal of a girl who leapt through time movie would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0fXjzF-oFk

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm not a fan of Leslie Jones. She just never seems genuine when she's acting.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I just finished it up

The cameos were super shoved in there and gratuitous and I didn't love how action movie fighting times it got towards the end but I still really, really liked the movie. Like others have said, McKinnon and Hemsworth totally steal the show.

I thought Aykroyd's cameo was delightful
    Having him
    straight up say "I ain't afraid of no ghost" was too much for me

if it was the only cameo sure but there were so many and they were all super jarring

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I had no problem with any of the cameos since they were all super quick.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    That Ozzy cameo would have been baffling when the Osbournes was even on.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I'm very momentum based in movie watching. Basically if something starts the momentum, say a really weird cameo, or Thor's magic bath in Avengers 2, it takes me awhile to get myself back into the story.

So stuff like that can drastically diminish my enjoyment, even if it's just a fraction of the movie's runtime.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    same here

you really only get one chance to not fuck it up for me in a movie

it takes a lot to gain my good will back when you do

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    same here

This is one of the reasons why I dont like GotG as much as other people.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular

I wish I had more hands so I could double the number of birds I'm flipping at you.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options

I wish I had more hands so I could double the number of birds I'm flipping at you.

wait how can you flip two birds and type at the same time

are you a greedy goro

do you want eight arms?

do you want to be more octopus than man?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

wait how can you flip two birds and type at the same time

are you a greedy goro

do you want eight arms?

do you want to be more octopus than man?

Look, Moriveth has gone of this. He is just a normal human, alright?

• Options
    same here

You watch fucking garbage
    constantly

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    same here

constantly

I daresay that's kind of his whole deal

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Hermano wrote: »
    I don't remember anyone in the movie even mentioning his height or attractiveness as a negative once? He looked like an average height average attractiveness white nerd, it was his actions in trying to kill everyone that were repulsive, not his appearance

Gender swap it. Cast Mcarthy in that role. Never mention her weight, but treat her as equally repulsive. How convinced would you be if someone told you there was no subtext about her attractiveness making her less worthwhile as a person?

But this is the point I'm trying to make, Mcarthy is in this movie! She's the hero, she saves the world! She doesn't fit societal standards of attractiveness etc anymore than he does, but there's no negative subtext about her character because of that is there?

If the heroes were all super attractive popular people then yeah, there'd be a clear subtext, but they aren't. They're outcasts who are looked down on just like he is. They might be friends with each other (which develops over the movie) but everyone else in the movie treats them poorly.

He has an entire speech about how shitty his life is and it mirrors their experiences completely, he's the villain because of his actions, not his appearance

I haven't actually watched the new ghostbusters, so I'm only going off of what you guys are saying about it.

But just because a movie is progressive and accepting about one issue doesn't mean it is therefore without sin everywhere else.

The movie can be accepting of Mcarthy's physical appearance, while also belittling the male character for his appearance.

That is, after all, a real social dynamic, both for men and women. Plenty of unpopular and unattractive people still judge other people negatively for being unpopular or unattractive.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    same here

constantly

Watching a bad movie is for the joy of bumper cars versus a smooth ride. Being baffled and taken out of the movie can be like half the fun there.

Other times they actually do keep the tone the whole way through and commitment to something bizarre is super endearing.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I think improv to work for me requires a lot more restraint than a lot of comedies provide. The everybody goes for broke on being the funniest character just ends up exhausting me at best or annoying the piss outta me at worst.

@Gustav, you should look up the Robot-Pirate-Ninja theory for collabrative improv' comedy.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Improv comedy must surely be the performance art that requires the most audience goodwill, the slightest hostility or even neutrality turns the proceedings into a real bloodbath

Oh, oh...

I have stories.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I did improv for a bit at an improv restaurant, but the people I worked with always, without fail, went for the laugh line or the spotlight. It was Bad Improv.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think improv to work for me requires a lot more restraint than a lot of comedies provide. The everybody goes for broke on being the funniest character just ends up exhausting me at best or annoying the piss outta me at worst.

@Gustav, you should look up the Robot-Pirate-Ninja theory for collabrative improv' comedy.

Reading that and yeah. The world has too many fucking pirates.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    same here

constantly

okay a few things:

1. to say that all i watch is garbage is completely incorrect and it's incredibly tired. dogg, i seen more great films that most people have seen films. period. in any given year. and dogs that actually listen to my recommendations are almost never disappointed.
    2. fucking it up has nothing to do with overall quality, or quality in general: just the reaction to a singular moment in the film
    3. i fail to see how my personal taste has anything to do with the statement i made?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    same here

constantly

okay a few things:

1. to say that all i watch is garbage is completely incorrect and it's incredibly tired. dogg, i seen more great films that most people have seen films. period. in any given year. and dogs that actually listen to my recommendations are almost never disappointed.
    2. fucking it up has nothing to do with overall quality, or quality in general: just the reaction to a singular moment in the film
    3. i fail to see how my personal taste has anything to do with the statement i made?

I hate that he's correct here.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    same here

constantly

There's some really good garbage out there!

• Options
    I think schlock often is made with more heart and care than giant blockbusters too

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have yet to be disappointed by an AJ suggestion. He's honestly my go to if I'm curious about a movie because we have similar taste but I know where our differences lie.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    same here

constantly

okay a few things:

The fuck do dogs know about movies

• Options
    I think schlock often is made with more heart and care than giant blockbusters too

Giant blockbusters have a whoooole bunch of pieces dictated by people who do not care anything about film as an art or piece of entertainment. If Film makers are not careful, that can bleed through into the final work extremely quickly.

• Options
    same here

constantly

okay a few things:

I mean, they can't even look up.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    same here

constantly

okay a few things:

They know when a dog's in the movie.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    same here

constantly

okay a few things:

They know when a dog's in the movie.

which is a very good indication that the movie is good

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    same here

constantly

okay a few things:

Bark bark I'm a dog

• Options
    Does the Dog Die? is pretty much the only site I need to tell me if a movie will be good or not.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Does the Dog Die? is pretty much the only site I need to tell me if a movie will be good or not.

Yeah, I would have never seen Where the Red Fern grows without it.

• Options
    My dad called me a couple years back and was crying. Through his tears he asked if I had ever seen Where the Red Fern Grows, because if I hadn't I shouldn't.

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.