As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That's right, more Fallen London [chat]

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The grinder even has something that looks like it's a bench mounting point.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Holy fuck
    Andrew Rollins, a security researcher who also goes by Acew0rm, notified Netgear about the flaw on August 25, but says that the company never responded to him. After waiting more than three months, he went public with the vulnerability, and the Department of Homeland Security’s CERT group released an advisory about it on Friday. Its advice? Pull the plug.
    “Exploiting this vulnerability is trivial. Users who have the option of doing so should strongly consider discontinuing use of affected devices until a fix is made available,” the CERT notice said. The flaw allows unauthenticated web pages to access the command-line and then execute malicious commands, which could lead to total system takeover.
    After initially saying over the weekend that three products “might be vulnerable,” Netgear now confirms that eight of its router models (R6250, R6400, R6700, R7000, R7100LG, R7300, R7900, R8000) are affected, including three of the five most popular routers on Amazon. Netgear also declined to comment on why it’s taking so long to release a production-grade firmware update.”We strive to earn and maintain the trust of those that use Netgear products for their connectivity,” the company said in a statement.

The router my isp issues had a similar issue. We received a letter on Dec 9th saying that they became aware of the issue on Dec 3rd. With cursory Googling i was able to find articles about it from as early as Nov 22nd.

I am livid at them.

What's this about?

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Holy fuck
    Andrew Rollins, a security researcher who also goes by Acew0rm, notified Netgear about the flaw on August 25, but says that the company never responded to him. After waiting more than three months, he went public with the vulnerability, and the Department of Homeland Security’s CERT group released an advisory about it on Friday. Its advice? Pull the plug.
    “Exploiting this vulnerability is trivial. Users who have the option of doing so should strongly consider discontinuing use of affected devices until a fix is made available,” the CERT notice said. The flaw allows unauthenticated web pages to access the command-line and then execute malicious commands, which could lead to total system takeover.
    After initially saying over the weekend that three products “might be vulnerable,” Netgear now confirms that eight of its router models (R6250, R6400, R6700, R7000, R7100LG, R7300, R7900, R8000) are affected, including three of the five most popular routers on Amazon. Netgear also declined to comment on why it’s taking so long to release a production-grade firmware update.”We strive to earn and maintain the trust of those that use Netgear products for their connectivity,” the company said in a statement.

The router my isp issues had a similar issue. We received a letter on Dec 9th saying that they became aware of the issue on Dec 3rd. With cursory Googling i was able to find articles about it from as early as Nov 22nd.

I am livid at them.

It like when wife points out funny spot on ceiling and you claim it has always been like that.

Then it starts gushing water.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    also there's no guard on the blade and, if fixed in that position, it's basically just spinning freely up in the air

not the greatest of ideas

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That clamp job could not be less safe and this is coming from someone who licks eggbeaters while they're plugged in.

Wouldn't it be easier to just pull out the egg beater thingies and lick them directly like a lollipop for that cookie dough goodness?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    oh i can afford a rooftop shack or i can almost afford a room above a gambling den

perfect

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    yo firewaterword did you get sent to the pokey or something? I can't accept this chess invitation.

also it turns out that the next stage in my becoming a POSI is acquiring 500 (!) Romantic Notions to trade for an Elegant Townhouse

SIGH

Oh wait I can do this

I can craft Romantic Notions with Prisoner's Honey (50 honey turns into 10 notions per action). I can get Prisoner's Honey from Veilgarden by buying drinks for artists, finally putting all my shitty Greyfields 1879 to work (at a rate of 50 wine to 40 honey per action). So taking into account the 100ish notions I already ahve, getting sufficient honey will take me...50 actions...and converting them to Romantic Notions will take...another 40

guess I know what I'm doing the next couple of days

if you talk to the abiding wife in the breakwater house she gives you 5 romantic notions for free

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    oh i can afford a rooftop shack or i can almost afford a room above a gambling den

perfect

find some 12 year old kid that will convince his mom to let you move in as long as you unlock all the cheat codes for him in goldeneye 64

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    That clamp job could not be less safe and this is coming from someone who licks eggbeaters while they're plugged in.

Wouldn't it be easier to just pull out the egg beater thingies and lick them directly like a lollipop for that cookie dough goodness?

Imminent danger tastes better

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    yo firewaterword did you get sent to the pokey or something? I can't accept this chess invitation.

also it turns out that the next stage in my becoming a POSI is acquiring 500 (!) Romantic Notions to trade for an Elegant Townhouse

SIGH

Oh wait I can do this

I can craft Romantic Notions with Prisoner's Honey (50 honey turns into 10 notions per action). I can get Prisoner's Honey from Veilgarden by buying drinks for artists, finally putting all my shitty Greyfields 1879 to work (at a rate of 50 wine to 40 honey per action). So taking into account the 100ish notions I already ahve, getting sufficient honey will take me...50 actions...and converting them to Romantic Notions will take...another 40

if you talk to the abiding wife in the breakwater house she gives you 5 romantic notions for free

oh ho I bet she does

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Holy fuck

I am livid at them.

Welcome to the cyberpunk future. Technology absolutely integral to every aspect of your life, completely up to you to keep it maintained and secure.

Well, they released a firmware upgrade for it after being told but there's nowt you could do until then.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    You’ll find that your abstinence did not result in any worse cabinet appointments than were already being made, and that disaster relief efforts carried on without your involvement, just as they always do. As it turns out, your hobby of monitoring the “state of the world” did not actually affect the world.

http://www.raptitude.com/2016/12/five-things-you-notice-when-you-quit-the-news/

@Shazkar Shadowstorm idk who else may be interested

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Probably my favourite story from Invisible Inc:
    Bethryn wrote: »
    So I've been playing Endless and oh boy, it creates some seriously sphincter-clenching experiences.
    There are three big handicaps you're given on Endless which cause... problems.

The first after a certain point, to leave a level, you need to find an Exit Key. They're kept in a random safe on the level, and if you don't have it, you can't rush for the exit if things get too hairy.
    The second is that after day 5, you start the day with an amped up Daemon pre-installed for 20 turns. Nasty stuff like all programmes costing 2 PWR more, or starting at Stage 2 alert. The least punishing is probably the one that increases item CDs by 3 turns.
    And on alert 3 of every mission, the game will spawn an extra patrol and a daemon that marks one of your agents for that turn (and does this for 3 turns). Result? Guards will enter Disturbed/Alerted state, and things get dicey.

Anyway, this results in some pretty serious complications to your best-laid plans

Case in point, around day 7, I got a vault mission.

Finding the vault and the door to the escape elevator wasn't too hard. But by the time I'd looted the place, we were already on Alert 4, and climbing. For reference here is the final picture of the level, just before I made my escape.

p1ceTHNh.jpg

Now the vault is a one-way in deal, with a nasty choke in front of the vault grid:

Du0QqpDh.jpg

So getting out of there was a minor nightmare, and ended up involving an ever-growing pile of unconscious guards in the antechamber. Then I headed 'south', because the only safes I could see were down near where the elevator is. Both had Daemons and 6-7 firewalls...

Well, it turns out, no, that's not where the escape key is. So I'm wondering where the hell it is, and I realise that there's an area in the northeast that I had assumed was just as guard elevator, but does have room for more.

Yes, down two corridor's worth of no cover, with the high alert still spawning new guards in, while the old lot are still out baying for my blood.

cFYhBPDh.jpg

You see that bastard safe nestled away in the eastern corner? That's the fucker. Of course, just as I reach it (after creating several distractions, involving sacrificing and reviving a squad member), the game adds a friendly OMNI guard spawn into the mix, so I have to take that down too. And where, pray tell, have the horde of bastard corp guards congregated while I'm getting the key? That's right, in the south-facing corridor that is the only way for me to get back to the elevator.

Thankfully, I learnt two things this day.

One. Identical items do not share cooldowns. What this means is that something like Cloak III, which cloaks your entire team until the start of your next turn, is fantastic if you can get more than one, as it lets you chain cloaks without the enemy getting a shot off.
    Two. Say No To Stim. Stim packs are amazing. You can create a bucket chain and pass them back to the slowest member of your team. They happened to be an MVP in another hunt-the-exit-key escapade (I had to sprint, Cloaked, down a corridor of guards with Decker who had finally managed to find the key, and then pop one Stim on him and one Stim on Prism, in order to get everyone into the elevator before we were summarily executed), but here they just managed to get everyone through without taking a bullet to the head.

Pictured: final screen just before everyone gets into the damn elevator. Not visible is just how many other guards are searching that room.

QVevwBih.jpg

And the score screen:

0EKVXUeh.jpg

So yeah, late-game Endless is balls to the wall difficult, but intensely rewarding when you pull it off. My last four or five missions have been nailbiters, including realising that I simply had to bail on a Sankaku vault, and spending something like 10 turns pinned down by homicidal murderbots, trying to get Nika back up so we could all get out of there alive.

I really need to get started on a new Endless run now that I've picked up the Contigency Plan dlc.

contingency plan is fucking hard. it adds a mission which gives you another 48 hours, but I found that mission to be fiendishly difficult. I did find out if everyone's corpses are on the teleport pads they will survive so no losses!

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Holy fuck

I am livid at them.

What's this about?

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/11/notorious-iot-botnets-weaponize-new-flaw-found-in-millions-of-home-routers/?amp=1?client=safari

• Options

SIGH

Oh wait I can do this

oh ho I bet she does

the wife abides

:winky:

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    You’ll find that your abstinence did not result in any worse cabinet appointments than were already being made, and that disaster relief efforts carried on without your involvement, just as they always do. As it turns out, your hobby of monitoring the “state of the world” did not actually affect the world.

"Shazkar Shadowstorm" idk who else may be interested

without clicking on this because I have to go back to work very soon

it's great for people to not destroy their psyches by stressing every minute over the latest political news

but I am not getting with the idea that we should tune out at fucking all. not sure if that's where the article actually goes so by all means don't take this as a fully fleshed out response but I am worried that's where this line ends, people completely tuning out of the horrors because they are upsetting.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    As long as you don't have long hair the worst that grinder will do to you is give you a bad scrape if it comes loose. Different story if it had a blade.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Holy fuck

I am livid at them.

What's this about?

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/11/notorious-iot-botnets-weaponize-new-flaw-found-in-millions-of-home-routers/?amp=1?client=safari

Oh, okay, it's the same thing we've been dealing with.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hi chat! I am very stoked this morning, down to 186lbs! Yay for the miserable practice of calorie counting!

That's awesome! How much have you lost? Are you making many strong in the gym with big objects? firewaterword

@OnTheLastCastle Thanks dude! I'm down from a high of 210, which was, shoot I'm not sure, maybe three or four months ago? No gym yet, just a crazy-person amount of yoga, a bit of running here and there, and some (miserable) calorie counting. Next on the list is getting into lifting but that's going to require a personal trainer so it's on the back burner until Jan or Feb.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Time to apply to new jobs! Any resources you all would recommend for US/Canada Softwares?

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    @Jacobkosh I did some rather unspeakable things at the university and found myself mirror-marched. Again.

Made it out, mostly intact, so should be free now!

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

it's great for people to not destroy their psyches by stressing every minute over the latest political news

but I am not getting with the idea that we should tune out at fucking all. not sure if that's where the article actually goes so by all means don't take this as a fully fleshed out response but I am worried that's where this line ends, people completely tuning out of the horrors because they are upsetting.

I think the argument of the article is that tuning in is harmful for you as an individual and does not provide any benefits to society

so just tuning out is probably a net benefit for your personally, with no change to your impact on the rest of the world

and then of course, you could actually do things to affect the world on top of that

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Hi chat! I am very stoked this morning, down to 186lbs! Yay for the miserable practice of calorie counting!

That's awesome! How much have you lost? Are you making many strong in the gym with big objects? firewaterword

OnTheLastCastle Thanks dude! I'm down from a high of 210, which was, shoot I'm not sure, maybe three or four months ago? No gym yet, just a crazy-person amount of yoga, a bit of running here and there, and some (miserable) calorie counting. Next on the list is getting into lifting but that's going to require a personal trainer so it's on the back burner until Jan or Feb.

That's great. I also weighed 210 about a year ago and now I weigh 173-175. Feels gooooooood man.

Lifting doesn't require a personal trainer IMO. If you have access to dumbbells and a bench I can make you strong.

If you have a squat rack and olympic bar I can make you mega-strong. I now spend 20-30 minutes in the gym every 4th day and my arms are way bigger than when I was going every day/every other day.

• Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Time to apply to new jobs! Any resources you all would recommend for US/Canada Softwares?

dice, stack overflow, linkedin, indeed are the ones I hear about most often

there's also one specifically dedicated to software startups -- angel something or other?

I'm looking too, low key, and it's frustrating how many of the postings are through recruiters

I'm probably going to create a list of places I might like to work and then go to each of their career sites because god forbid we have a quality job aggregator in 2016

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

It suggests avoiding headlines and "BREAKING NEWS" and instead consuming books and longform journalism ("things that took more than half a day to put together"). It also suggests volunteering and helping out on things you care about rather than watching news about them. In all extremely good advice start to finish.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

@Shazkar Shadowstorm idk who else may be interested

@skippydumptruck thanks skippy kisses

i've been talking with a friend about this because she overloads herself with news to a frothy amount and i'm like you gotta find a balance

i think it's important to strike a balance

which is why lately i'm trying to ignore my facebook feed, and inform myself with the occasional new yorker articles and podcasts, and the occasional nytimes and washington post article, and that's about it

i think getting involved and being productive is a much better use of time than reading news and frothing, yes, which is why i am going on monday to my first ever community organizing meeting in brooklyn! it's got a bunch of good organizations going:
    The Arab-American Family Support Center
    Brooklyn Community Pride Center
    New York City Anti-Violence Project
    National Institute for Reproductive Health
    Food & Water Watch - New York
    Showing Up for Racial Justice - SURJ, NYC

so we'll see

because you're right skippy, i have no control over some of that higher up stuff

but i can at least do some stuff at a local level and focusing energy there is more productive than shaking my fist at the sky

poo
  • Options
    A lot of people could do with tuning out a bit more.

• Options

It suggests avoiding headlines and "BREAKING NEWS" and instead consuming books and longform journalism ("things that took more than half a day to put together"). It also suggests volunteering and helping out on things you care about rather than watching news about them. In all extremely good advice start to finish.

yeah, this is exactly what i have been trying to do

first step is uh not look at facebook so much

i wish i could make my facebook feed be just like pictures of friends and social things again but i can't

poo
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

I just read the article. It's mostly an indictment of cable and internet "24 hour cycle". The recommendation is to select better news sources that take time to research a topic, read in-depth on that topic, and then maybe do something about it, as opposed to the cable news model of constantly consuming a shallow, opinionated stream of things designed to trigger fear and outrage without providing deeper context or meaning.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    tune in
    drop out

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

SIGH

Oh wait I can do this

yeah breakwater house is a fantastic way to stock up on rare-ish items right now

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Dammit. Left my books (well, the ones that I need) at home. :bigfrown:

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Wow it looks like my old best friend (with whom I'd lost contact with last year and warned about moving to LA) Has a trail Monday for the attempted murder of two cops in a train station.

Fuck man

Jesus

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    this is why i also started paying for some good news sources like nyt and the new yorker (even though the new yorker is not news per se, they've had some interesting and well done pieces lately)

poo
  • Options
    Podly wrote: »
    Wow it looks like my old best friend (with whom I'd lost contact with last year and warned about moving to LA) Has a trail Monday for the attempted murder of two cops in a train station.

Fuck man

Jesus

wot! bro....

poo
  • Options

OnTheLastCastle Thanks dude! I'm down from a high of 210, which was, shoot I'm not sure, maybe three or four months ago? No gym yet, just a crazy-person amount of yoga, a bit of running here and there, and some (miserable) calorie counting. Next on the list is getting into lifting but that's going to require a personal trainer so it's on the back burner until Jan or Feb.

That's great. I also weighed 210 about a year ago and now I weigh 173-175. Feels gooooooood man.

Lifting doesn't require a personal trainer IMO. If you have access to dumbbells and a bench I can make you strong.

If you have a squat rack and olympic bar I can make you mega-strong. I now spend 20-30 minutes in the gym every 4th day and my arms are way bigger than when I was going every day/every other day.

Yeah if I had my shit together I could probably figure it out on my own, but I think I'd rather have the external motivation (plus I know how my brain works, and if I pay for it, I'll make it happen out of spite if necessary).

I've got dumbbells (I think up to 25lbs), a curl bar, and a bench but all that shit is in my garage and my garage is very cold and my cars in the way and I think you get the picture...

Congrats on the weight loss dog that's awesome. If I can get down to 180 I'll be pretty jazzed about things.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    start playing video games 8-16 hours a day
    er, wait

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    @Grape Ape where are you again

poo
This discussion has been closed.