Options

apologies in advance [chat]

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    But that wasn't the question they were being asked. It was specifically, how do they as filmmakers avoid it. They're doing exactly what people want by being more ethnically and culturally sensitive and explaining how they got to that point, and getting shit on for it.

do they want a gold star or what?

you're supposed to do that shit because its the right thing to do, not so people will fellate you about how great you are at presenting not-completely-racist material

also, that doesn't at all address the fundamental point about how myopic it is to have that discussion without anyone who isn't a greying white guy present

jfc

They're not asking to be fellated.

They were asked what they're doing to avoid doing what white dudes have been accused of in the past.

They answered "This is what we've been doing" with a bunch of examples showing that they're getting it.

The whole point was that all of them have recently made movies about race, gender and culture that didn't come off as a fucking minstrel show. It wasn't to air grievances about a hundred years of evil white male moviemakers. You want people to try hard at not being dicks, don't shit all over them when they try.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    At my current job I am also sometimes told to use method "x" to analyze the data, but there is no pretense that I also have control over the scientific direction of the projects for which my analysis is so narrowly dictated, plus I'm paid well to do it and people are not assholes about the results.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Today's catering is Make Your Own Fajitas. Today is a good day.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    huh. looks like i'm gonna be teleworking starting next week for like two months.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    having given notice and accepted the new job makes being motivated to finish out my work hard

though i know i have to because i want to leave a good impressions

connections from my last job is what are getting me this new job

connections are the best way to get job

especially russian connections

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I actually need to arrange a meeting with my PI to plan out what I'm doing for January

Spoilers: I am going to scream and jump out the window if he suggests something that isn't a slow grind of guaranteed data

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    PhD comics is generally not funny; this one, while also not funny, captures the main problem I had with grad school.
    phd121216s.gif
    Heh. I once made some comic strips that was basically "Dilbert, but with med students" (which is basically what this comic is, but for PhD students). It was horrible, and I wish I could bury it forever in the vault where they have the Ark of the Covenant, never to be seen again.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    how dare you judge me, orphane
    ~ the other day~
    *WARNING LOUD*
    [8:54 PM] P10: fk i got chat backup
    [8:54 PM] P10: and i have no good ideas
    [8:54 PM] P10: wait yes i do
    [8:55 PM] Orphane: make it
    [8:55 PM] Orphane: Kono [Chat]o Da
    [8:55 PM] P10: i don't know what that is
    [8:55 PM] P10: i'll do it tho if you provide me with the materials
    [8:55 PM] P10: otherwise it's wan wan chat
    [8:56 PM] Orphane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzaPMeFCZBU
    as if your ideas are so quality. . .

all a fabrication

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    But that wasn't the question they were being asked. It was specifically, how do they as filmmakers avoid it. They're doing exactly what people want by being more ethnically and culturally sensitive and explaining how they got to that point, and getting shit on for it.

you're supposed to do that shit because its the right thing to do, not so people will fellate you about how great you are at presenting not-completely-racist material

also, that doesn't at all address the fundamental point about how myopic it is to have that discussion without anyone who isn't a greying white guy present

I guess for me it depends on what the point of that interview is.

If it's just a general question of how they, as show runners, work to ensure that minorities and other cultural groups are represented well, then it's fine to have them as they are show runners.

Of course the answer would be hire a talented and diverse cast and crew (and listen to them), so it'll be a really short panel.

clint eastwood, as terrible an example of a person as he can be at his worst, is actually really good at this thing

and then he doesn't go off and hot dog about what a not-racist he is afterwards, because expecting a big pat on the back afterward kind of defeats the point

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    PhD comics is generally not funny; this one, while also not funny, captures the main problem I had with grad school.
    phd121216s.gif
    Heh. I once made some comic strips that was basically "Dilbert, but with med students" (which is basically what this comic is, but for PhD students). It was horrible, and I wish I could bury it forever in the vault where they have the Ark of the Covenant, never to be seen again.

You have to post one now.

• Options
    phd121216s.gif

There are a lot of like, humor channels/comics/blogs for doctors, and sometimes I just have to tell my husband that I don't want to watch some youtube video of a guy rapping about the ER, ok? Just, no.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    phd121216s.gif

You have to post one now.
    I literally destroyed all the copies that I could find. As in, physically destroyed the media.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    This day is quickly piling up the ol' Go Fuck Yourself's

It needs to be weekend.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
  • Options
    phd121216s.gif

There are a lot of like, humor channels/comics/blogs for doctors, and sometimes I just have to tell my husband that I don't want to watch some youtube video of a guy rapping about the ER, ok? Just, no.
    Especially since Scrubs has done basically all of those jokes, but better and with better comedians.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    phd121216s.gif
    There are a lot of shortcuts in college I wish I'd known before I started. Ways to shit out a 10 page sourced research paper in 2 hours, and get an A or B on it.

Don't front load your classes because that is hard as fuck, for no good reason.

There is a lot of things I'd have done differently.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    At my current job I am also sometimes told to use method "x" to analyze the data, but there is no pretense that I also have control over the scientific direction of the projects for which my analysis is so narrowly dictated, plus I'm paid well to do it and people are not assholes about the results.

Do they do the xzibit style arm x when they announce the method?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ha just saw some tv/movie filming rig drive by my office.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It's so fucking weird that somehow medical doctors get colloquially called "doctors" despite that being the less specific part of the title

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    phd121216s.gif

man you guys are literally mike pence

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/08/25/here-are-the-cartoons-mike-pence-drew-while-in-law-school/?utm_term=.de26c3bc4862

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I procrastinated and now the Rogue One showing my friends are going to tomorrow is sold out and I can't go. God damn it.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

If it's just a general question of how they, as show runners, work to ensure that minorities and other cultural groups are represented well, then it's fine to have them as they are show runners.

Of course the answer would be hire a talented and diverse cast and crew (and listen to them), so it'll be a really short panel.

clint eastwood, as terrible an example of a person as he can be at his worst, is actually really good at this thing

and then he doesn't go off and hot dog about what a not-racist he is afterwards, because expecting a big pat on the back afterward kind of defeats the point

It did not seem like they were trying to come off as self congratulatory or superior, and looking for the worst in people because they're privileged and talk about something adjacent to minority issues is a good way to make allies go "well fuck you, too!"

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @Elldren

So someone did a Solider of Fortune parody cover for the 30 years war.
    1doPOQt.jpg

Windows: 10 tips for power users. Bwahahahahahahahaha

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    It's so fucking weird that somehow medical doctors get colloquially called "doctors" despite that being the less specific part of the title

It's worth it when you get to cause a scene on a plane though

"Oh you want a medical doctor. You should have said. No, he is probably dead now"

• Options
    Oh and I met with my mentor today and he is totally on board with my path towards project management, and specifically wants to pair me up with people who are super-technical but some combination of [bad writer/scattered/cannot logically break down complex task into sub-tasks/cannot effectively communicate]. He thinks I'm organized! I'm...not, and I said that, but I do have what I guess I would call an organized mind, in that I can analyze and lay out stuff--including tasks for people to do to make a program happen--logically.

• Options
    Or maybe I mean DMX's arm thing

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    user: can you install Microsoft Streets and Trips on my new computer?

*last version from 2012, all support ended 2015*

me: no

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    phd121216s.gif

man you guys are literally mike pence

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/08/25/here-are-the-cartoons-mike-pence-drew-while-in-law-school/?utm_term=.de26c3bc4862
    I also grew up in Indiana.

Man, there's really nothing to do in Indiana but draw shitty comic strips and be raging Christian fundamentalists, is there?

I guess GenCon is there every year. They almost fucked that up, too.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

"Oh you want a medical doctor. You should have said. No, he is probably dead now"

This is why I want my doctorate

"Is there a doctor on board?"

"Oh yes, I am a doctor!"

"Help this man! He's having a heart attack!"

"Oh um. Well I can tell you that while he's still conscious he can sign this form to donate his brain to my lab."

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

It did not seem like they were trying to come off as self congratulatory or superior, and looking for the worst in people because they're privileged and talk about something adjacent to minority issues is a good way to make allies go "well fuck you, too!"

And as a followup, yes, I agree that such a panel could probably be improved by adding relevant minority advisors who had also worked on those programs, but that doesn't mean the correct response is to insult them for doing it. Constructive criticism, not simply shouting them down.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Or maybe I mean DMX's arm thing

I gotta say, I'm not familiar with either...

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I forgot how rough those Pence comics were.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

good for them

the door's right over there if they prefer the neo Nazi clubhouse

I'm fed up with 'allies' who are only here for the sake of glamor & convenience, because it turns out they'll ditch you the moment the going gets tough

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I just had a meeting with Couch, the professor who is letting me take his class without actually attending, and I asked for his animation history course syllabus (he doesn't teach it any more but I just wanted the info to study on my own), and instead he wants me to take another class he's doing but ACTUALLY be doing history of Animation as like a.. secret independent study

And then as the final project for that class help him do research about Popeye and Betty Boop for something he's writing

Also I FINALLY got my midterm back from him and it's covered in A's again

Honestly this man does so much for my self esteem q-q

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

This is why I want my doctorate

"Is there a doctor on board?"

"Oh yes, I am a doctor!"

"Help this man! He's having a heart attack!"

"Oh um. Well I can tell you that while he's still conscious he can sign this form to donate his brain to my lab."

That's why you're not getting into the colony. This shit right here.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    @p10 having a mostly unfurnished apartment seems like a pretty normal thing for a single person idk

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    what the fuck is this shit

919UOwT.png
  • Options

good for them

the door's right over there if they prefer the neo Nazi clubhouse

I'm fed up with 'allies' who are only here for the sake of glamor & convenience, because it turns out they'll ditch you the moment the going gets tough

ouroborous

• Options
    Shit. I just realized that if I ever run for office, someone is going to dredge up my old comics. I'd have to concede the race in disgrace.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »
    I forgot how rough those Pence comics were.

Oh, honestly they seem pretty good to me, for what they are! Student comics are generally utter garbage, and at least those ones have a distinct style and recognizable punchlines that are very mildly amusing.

This discussion has been closed.