Options

Run the [Chat] 3

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Happy new year chat! May 2017 be better!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I think it is appropriate that I am ringing in the new year by gushing over a gay skating anime and looking up cute YOI vids on YouTube

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Happy New Years Chat.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Yay its 2017

*curls into a ball and cries*

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I think it is appropriate that I am ringing in the new year by gushing over a gay skating anime and looking up cute YOI vids on YouTube

VictorY 5ever

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    you insensitives

I still have two hours of 2016 left

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    you insensitives

forgot to check our time zone privilege

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Damn this tiny PC case. My new motherboard doesn't fit

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    it's been 2017 for seventeen hours now you backwardian ne'er-do-wells

get with the times

• Options
    New years was supposed to be rung in with new pc but now the evening is spent with tomb raider

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    I just got into an intense argument about poetry

About what

poetry. it's a form of communication that uses high levels of metaphor and sometimes rhyming structures and so forth.

read about it, it's pretty interesting. A few of my favorites are Ozymandias, The Second Coming, and The Sunlight in the Garden

I have a fucking degree in poetry

I meant like, what specifically

Ok, so,

Scotland has a position which is makar.

And a makar is something like a skald, that is, someone whose job it is to record what it is to live in this time.

Now, there are lots of sources as to what happened in a given period, but not what it is to live in a period.

And that is what I think it's important.

. . .and this person disagreed? That there are not a lot of sources? That this is what's important?

@Vanguard

Basically their position is that anyone so appointed is necessarily a tool of the state and so cannot record objectively

The current makar is Jackie Kay and I love everything she writes

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    it's been 2017 for seventeen hours now you backwardian ne'er-do-wells

get with the times

It will always be 2016 in my heart

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    watch the boyhood blu-ray commentary... heaven. so happy, finally seem to have a free blu-ray player on my pc.

have 'work' at 7:30 but what can you do. I may not sleeeeeeeep.

happy new year!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    we lost one more though
    William Christopher, the actor best known for his role as Father John Mulcahy on the hit TV show "M*A*S*H," died on Saturday, his family confirmed to Eyewitness News.

His son, John Christopher, said the actor died from non-lung small cell carcinoma at his home in Pasadena.

He was 84.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    you insensitives

Afraid you'll have to ride it out with just me, @Pony

*boards up the windows*

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    you insensitives

Afraid you'll have to ride it out with just me, @Pony

*boards up the windows*

save your window-boards for after the inauguration, when the Purges get announced

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Watched another couple episodes of Yuri on Ice. Wasn't going to post about it but this conversation sucks.

It's kind of funny to watch right after listening to Bill Simmons Channel 33 podcast about sports movies, where they go through and name all the standard Sports Movie Plots and story beats and stuff. Cuz it totally hits a bunch of them. Athlete starting to get over the hill, nobody believes in him, cocky upstart with tons of natural talent looks like he's going to overtake him... But then he gets a new coach, rediscovers his joy in the sport, as he begins a last resurgence on his career his new attitude on life also enables a new romance and/or new romance gives him a new attitude on life. That's like, how many Kevin Costner movies? The show is plainly very conscious of sports movie tropes. And yet, sports movies are also a pretty hyper masculine genre, the hero may let out his sensitive side, but only to his new lady friend, and only in certain ways.

Which is why I find Yuri on Ice so interesting. Yuri is a pro figure skater, he's like 23 now which is getting on the older side for skaters, and his last competition was a disaster. He comes back to his hometown for the first time in 5 years to reconsider what he wants to do next. The show even structurally seems like it's teasing the audience a bit here, when his cute female friend pops up in episode one and we're told he hasn't seen her in years, anyone familiar with sports movie tropes has got to immediately be like, "Ooh, ok, he goes back to his hometown, rekindles a flame from his youth, gets his mojo back, this girl is obviously the romantic interest." Except that she's married, has 3 kids, and Yuri doesn't mind a bit, cuz it grows slowly obvious that Yuri's gay.

We never really have Yuri's childhood spelled out, but in little glimpses we see he was kind of a scrawny kid who did ballet, then he started figure skating as well, his friends were mostly girls, and he obsessed over the professional figure skaters right along with them. The pictures of figure skaters up on the walls of his room aren't just sporting aspirational figures, they're also his childhood crushes. He's basically already had his whole Billy Elliot story, grown up, and become one of the best figure skaters in the world. And while there's a mix of sexualities among the skaters, they're not exactly a masculine bunch, they're all a bunch of artsy ballet types.

So on the one hand you have this story that's really hitting all the marks of a sports comeback story. And there's lots of focus on Yuri as an athlete, working out, managing his strict diet, practicing his jumps and technique. But all the language's changed, instead of hyper masculinity and stiff upper lips the focus is on like emotional, artistic expression, male beauty and sensuality. And Yuri's blooming romance isn't with some cutie back home, it's with his new skating coach, a man that he idolized back when he was an amateur.

It does some other cool things too. Sports movies are usually more about the underdog outsider, but Yuri's already a pro. So things like the pressure of social media, the difference in how the public perceives him (one of the best in the world!) vs. how he perceives himself (the worst at the whole tournament), and the social weirdness of a bunch of kids coming of age and competing against the "old" athletes that they used to watch on TV. And I like how the show really constructs the skaters in their own little social world, even though they don't all like each other they're all stuck in hotels competing at the same places, and fans are crazy, so they hang out together, and some of them date, and the rest of them gossip about how that guy totally got dumped and now this season he's doing a whole tragic romance theme to his short program, lololol.

Yuri on Ice is really good, people should watch it.

Kana

I literally binged all 12 episodes over the course of the last 24 hrs

Victor x Yuri OTP skate like a beautiful dream we were born to make hsitory

Truest love

second only to JJ x JJ

Yurio x Pirozhki

I like how

Well, it's not like anime isn't full of fucking dopey teenagers

But I like how everyone totally recognizes what a dopey pain in the ass teenager Yurio is

He even walks around staring at his phone all the time.

Honestly

Last episode spoilar
    i know it broke the mold to NOT have Yuri win gold and also keeps Yuri and Victor together as both romantic partners, as coach/student, AND as competitive rivals, which is all very good and multifaceted

But

That smug fuck teen winning gold on his first try

Aw hell naw

Well, I do think it pays off in the sense that
    In a lot of ways Yurio is ALSO the hero of a sports story. He's the promising young prodigy who has assloads of natural talent but doesn't really have his head screwed on straight. Yuri's own improvement challenges him, drives him to actually push himself and make the most out of his talents that he hadn't been. And so he ends up appreciating Yuri despite himself, because Yuri made him better.

Speaking of anime Hakks, if you haven't seen it you should definitely check out Gi(a)rlish Number. There's no romance at all, it's just a very, very cynical comedy about the anime industry and how much it sucks.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh shit dragonball z Kai is on cartoon network hd? That's awesome. And...bobs burgers is on regular cartoon network. This hotel cable is weird.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Tap Titans 2 is so good.

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Happy New Year, chat!

We wish you all many moments of joy and peace, and an abundance of love in the coming year ♡

Belasco32 on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Nargirl just woke up and muttered, "I missed it, didn't I?" and when I confirmed she had and then wished her a happy new year, she rolled back over and promptly fell back asleep. <3

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I made a superior heart, Belasco.

Though I am both impressed and confounded by how you created yours.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Oh shit dragonball z Kai is on cartoon network hd? That's awesome. And...bobs burgers is on regular cartoon network. This hotel cable is weird.

YouTube.com dbza

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow I think I'm going to sleep in, go get fancy hot dogs (not from a gas station) with my wife. Go to the book store to get a 2017 calendar, and maybe take her to see a movie.

We're also going to look at new teevees for ME: Andromeda since our only TV is going on 8 years now.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Happy New Year.

I shot off some rockets with family. Watched Jenny McCarthy on the TV.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

well I don't disagree

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I made a superior heart, Belasco.

Though I am both impressed and confounded by how you created yours.

It's just an emotion off of my phone

♡♡♡♡♡♡

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    we lost one more though
    William Christopher, the actor best known for his role as Father John Mulcahy on the hit TV show "M*A*S*H," died on Saturday, his family confirmed to Eyewitness News.

His son, John Christopher, said the actor died from non-lung small cell carcinoma at his home in Pasadena.

He was 84.

I just saw that. Shit. That show was a big part of my growing up. :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    what if I stay up drinking coffee again

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »

make mongolia great again

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Let's see what other emoticons work.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Run them jewels fast run them run them jewels fast

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

YouTube.com dbza

Definitely the superior version

• Options

MMGA

yeah

maybe I'll put that on a hat

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Time to start my year end paper work

*insert noisemaker sound here*

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Happy new year news whiteys

NOT YET

Still 2 hours to go

you don't know me

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Didn't want to watch Jenny McCarthy so we rang in the new year with Pitbull and Snoop Dogg in Miami.

Good job Pitbull.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options

MMGA

yeah

maybe I'll put that on a hat

the decadent Chinese will bear the Mongol yoke once more

CEUXodll.jpg?1

This discussion has been closed.