Options

Run the [Chat] 3

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    brynhrtmn wrote: »
    My drunk girlfriend threw up in my brand new car. Thanks 2017, great start

You still have a girlfriend!

I read this differently than you pappa spool.

• Options
    brynhrtmnbrynhrtmn Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    brynhrtmn wrote: »
    My drunk girlfriend threw up in my brand new car. Thanks 2017, great start

You still have a girlfriend!

Yes and I'm very thankful for that. If not for her I'd be blackout drunk and crying in some corner somewhere.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Pony wrote: »
    So, I decided to go back and collect a bunch of my DayZ posts because some folks suggested I do so, because they are genuinely funny.

I realized, in looking a lot of them over, that DayZ has a really... really weird and unique social dynamic that I'm not sure exists in a lot of other (if any) video games. Which is DayZ's unique approach to banditry and robbery and how it's this like weird, almost but not quite consensual negotiation between the person or persons being robbed and the people who are robbing them.

I'll probably write a much longer think-piece on it at some point, but essentially because DayZ has item-damage and degradation, and you can damage the items that people are wearing and have in their backpacks by way of shooting or hitting them in those locations, there's a huge disincentive to just wantonly murdering people on sight as a form of acquiring more and better quality gear. An extended firefight is not only wasteful of your own ammo and likely to result in your own gear getting damaged if you get hit at all, but is going to undoubtedly shred the loot of whoever you killed.

So as a result, DayZ not only incentivizes ambush tactics to minimize damage to yourself, your equipment, and the equipment of your target, but it also incentivizes robbery over murder. The threat of violence is a lot more lucrative over actually inflicting violence as an optimal play strategy in the game.

But then, it sort of calls into question why anyone would consent to being robbed. In real life, people don't consent to being robbed, they do it because they genuinely fear for their life, health, and safety. But when you're playing a video game, and dying in DayZ just means you lose your gear and respawn, where is the incentive for someone being robbed to "play along", if it means they're going to lose everything anyway and just respawn?

And that's where it becomes a weird, unique social dynamic I haven't really seen in any other game. Robbery in DayZ is a dance. It's a negotiation. If you just try to take everything from a player, strip them down their skivvies and essentially leave them in more or less the same or even worse a situation than a newly spawned player, they have no incentive to do anything other than make a run for it (forcing you to kill or chase them), try to fight you and force the issue that way, or log off (which currently still just causes their character to sit idle for a bit, and essentially allows you to loot them anyway and is basically them saying fuck it to the whole thing).

But if you don't force them into that position, now you're giving them a choice. If you want specific pieces of gear (like say, their gun, or their tactical vest), or are demanding a certain service from them (demanding they give a blood transfusion because one of your mates is injured and needs blood), or insisting you only want a specific resource (food, ammo, etc.) then that puts the person being robbed in a position where their compliance with the robbery puts them in a better position than the risk of non-compliance and respawning with nothing. The easier and more reasonable your request, generally the more accommodating they'll be.

It's a weird game.

For all the hate (and I don't know where it comes from, honestly) lumped on Rocket, he managed to take DayZ places that its imitators never reached. I still don't much care for the game, but yeah, it does its formula very well with mechanics that very subtly pressure players into doing things other than just shooting their not-clan-mates on sight. This, in turn, has created an environment where people will actually have the experience of meeting other players randomly and forming impromptu groups / friendships... a state of play that other survival games have not achieved at all (and its kind of a stunning achievement - and I remember people saying that he would never be able to accomplish it, so he should stop experimenting & trying to achieve the design goal).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    pet peeve: when a couple at the airport, with no kids, takes up 4 or more seats with all of their shit.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @Elldren

So I'm watching a Forgotten Weapons thing on the Enfield L85A1 and he mentions the mag release being an issue with catching on things. Then he starts fiddling with bits. The bolt release and fire selector need gorilla thumbs and then the mag release just the lightest caress. Amazing. Thank god there was nothing electric in it.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Those Mariah Carey clips are hilarious

go home

What?

• Options
    With Love and Courage
  • Options

go home

What?

I believe that's what she drunkenly says into the mic at the end of that clip.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

go home

What?

I believe that's what she drunkenly says into the mic at the end of that clip.

Ooooh. It's hard to hear.

Happy new year!

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Happy new year!

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Happy New Year's D&D. Hope your nights were all badass or at least weird/interesting

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    WsuxZhJl.jpg

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm just now getting home at 4:30am and first--genuinely, happy new years everyone. I recognize a lot of you from other threads and forums, but even the new to me: I hope you had a great day and I earnestly hope it continues into the year that is 2017.

• Options
    Ye gods, I've found the one moment in time when the [chat] thread isn't a mile a minute. I'm going to slowly back away and we'll all resume... whenever we resume.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Ye gods, I've found the one moment in time when the [chat] thread isn't a mile a minute. I'm going to slowly back away and we'll all resume... whenever we resume.

It turns out that everyone's New Years Resolution is to post less in [chat]

So give it 2 days.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    I'll pretend I didn't run everybody off with the questions of whether I'm a @Drez alt or not.

But I know.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Can't be as bad as driving around the hell that is Newry. Roundabouts leading into roundabouts in school traffic. On the up side I don't live there!

One time I was driving to Dublin, and the M1 was closed off approximately halfway around Newry. The redirected traffic took me off the M1, onto the old bypass heading north instead of south and eventually to the junction you would take to exit the M1 if you were planning to enter Newry coming from Belfast, and then through Newry proper before rejoining the motorway shortly before the border. I was basically doubling back on myself.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    hung

over

Operating within standard tolerances

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Spent my evening playing Alchemists (a super-cool board game that blends a logical deduction puzzle with worker placement). For midnight we went outside and watched various fireworks displays across the valley, which made me feel a bit like a general surveying a particularly festive bombardment.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    So far the new year looks exactly like the old year.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Spent my evening playing Alchemists (a super-cool board game that blends a logical deduction puzzle with worker placement). For midnight we went outside and watched various fireworks displays across the valley, which made me feel a bit like a general surveying a particularly festive bombardment.

Did you play with the app or with a non competing player? The need for either always seemed like clumsy design to me but I do like the idea of worker placement potion cluedo

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »

Benighted and Trumpish?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

It's quite a lot rainier

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

It's quite a lot rainier
    It's super sunny but fuckin cold down here.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    hung

over

time for breakfast.

some nice fatty bacon, sausages, eggs, fry up a tomato, fry some bread up, drink some tea.

lets go bogart capitalism waits for no man

• Options
    Also no food poisoning despite the oysters. I think I'm down to like a 40% chance now.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Did you play with the app or with a non competing player? The need for either always seemed like clumsy design to me but I do like the idea of worker placement potion cluedo

We used the app. It didn't feel that clunky, and allowed for a greater range of ways to try and work out what each ingredient did than I can imagine working if it was just a case of peeking at envelopes like in Cluedo.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Fallen London update: I've finally embarked on the quest to enter the Cave of the Nadir. My money troubles are about to be over forever! Eventually. Probably.

Also, I am only five Antique Mysteries away from a coveted Room at the Royal Bethlehem. Gonna spend today heisting those from a mummy man. Depending on how long Penstock's stays open after the Twelve Days of Christmas, I might even be able to rack up the 3 Notability I need to upgrade the Room into a Suite (which can only be done during the holidays).

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Mmmmorning

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Can't be as bad as driving around the hell that is Newry. Roundabouts leading into roundabouts in school traffic. On the up side I don't live there!

One time I was driving to Dublin, and the M1 was closed off approximately halfway around Newry. The redirected traffic took me off the M1, onto the old bypass heading north instead of south and eventually to the junction you would take to exit the M1 if you were planning to enter Newry coming from Belfast, and then through Newry proper before rejoining the motorway shortly before the border. I was basically doubling back on myself.

Sounds like Newry all right. Also reminds me of the times when getting to Dublin involved driving through every town on the way. Here's to EU funded motorways making life much easier!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    First shit of 2017

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    *stumbles into 2017*

oh geeze oh damn

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Happy New Year chat fam! Much love to all!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    [emotions redacted]

there was like a blissful 2 minutes of being awake before i remembered that I stepped into a bear trap last night and now have no idea what i'm supposed to do with this machete and my broken limb.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm just like

Okay hello new year same boy THIS BOY IS GREAT?

We are just in the car talking about our mutual love of Weird Al and I am like omg who is this incredible human

Also now he's dancing to Billy Jean it's adorable

Last night I had a super gross moment where we were on our way to the grocery store and listening to Sufjan Stevens and I was just like

Oh my God Pinecone is incredible and I never wanna do anything except be in the car on the way to the grocery store listening to Sufjan Stevens with him aaaaaaaaa

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
This discussion has been closed.