Options

The Trump Administration Thread For Discussing the Trump Administration

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Dunder wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Merrick Garland aside, how many spots in our courts and government just stayed empty because they refused to confirm anyone?

How long did Loretta Lynch have to wait on her confirmation?

Like this "seriousness and courtesy" of theirs are known things. You can look that shit up and see it for the blatant lie that it is.

Not that anyone will care. It will just be reported as "Democrats just doing what Republicans did" as if there's no substantive difference in the nominees in question.

Because Jeff Sessions and Loretta Lynch are basically the same person, so opposition would just be political payback instead of looking at Sessions and screaming "Are you out of your fucking mind!?"

I think you are overly optimistic. This will be reported as "Democrats are refusing to let the government function cos they are mad they lost".

Absolute best case scenario for the dems is "both sides are doing it so it is now OK, Dems can no longer criticize Reps for it".

I'm fine with it being reported as either so long as they do it. I see no reason for the Democrats to cave and do everything Republicans want when the latter has refused to offer any semblance of cooperation. There's nothing for Dems to gain outside of voter dissolutionment.

The problem is that voters hold democrats accountable for their actions (this is the biggest difference between party D and party R), so look forward to massive losses in the midterm and a rightward shift in the overton window and democrat policies.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Most of Dem strategy going forward is nothing but no-win scenarios. I guess if I had to pick, I'd rather go down fighting and kicking and screaming at least.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Merrick Garland aside, how many spots in our courts and government just stayed empty because they refused to confirm anyone?

Like this "seriousness and courtesy" of theirs are known things. You can look that shit up and see it for the blatant lie that it is.

Not that anyone will care. It will just be reported as "Democrats just doing what Republicans did" as if there's no substantive difference in the nominees in question.

Because Jeff Sessions and Loretta Lynch are basically the same person, so opposition would just be political payback instead of looking at Sessions and screaming "Are you out of your fucking mind!?"

I think you are overly optimistic. This will be reported as "Democrats are refusing to let the government function cos they are mad they lost".

Absolute best case scenario for the dems is "both sides are doing it so it is now OK, Dems can no longer criticize Reps for it".

I'm fine with it being reported as either so long as they do it. I see no reason for the Democrats to cave and do everything Republicans want when the latter has refused to offer any semblance of cooperation. There's nothing for Dems to gain outside of voter dissolutionment.

The problem is that voters hold democrats accountable for their actions (this is the biggest difference between party D and party R), so look forward to massive losses in the midterm and a rightward shift in the overton window and democrat policies.

I don't think it's that Republicans don't hold people accountable... it's just WHO is accountable.

The Democrats do something bad, the Dem's will be all over their own.
    The Republicans do something bad... and it's either on that individual person (not a party issue), or it's the fault of the Democrats.

As much as they like to talk about Democrats not taking accountability for things, they have really turned blaming others into an art form.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Rebecca Ferguson asked to perform at Donald Trump's inauguration ceremony
    The singer tweeted she would "graciously accept" the invitation from the American president-elect if she can perform Strange Fruit, a song that was blacklisted in the United States.
    The words of Strange Fruit describe the lynching of African Americans in the early 20th century: "Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze".
    It's been described as one of the first great protest songs.
    Rebecca wrote that the song "speaks to all the disregarded and down trodden black people" in the US and if she can sing it she will "see [Mr Trump] in Washington".
    Hehehehehe.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I'm just saying it is going to be really hard to financially support real journalism when this kind of shit ends up on the front page.

WaPo is the only one I'm comfortable supporting, and only because of Fahrenhold

Thank God Bezos hates Trump, otherwise he'd be completely irredeemable.

It was actually the first question addressed to him during his company-wide Q&A last summer.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The NYT looks like it just did a puff piece for Trump, saying that his combative personality melts away at Mar-
    a-Lago, a future Winter White House.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/01/us/trump-mar-a-lago-future-winter-white-house.html

Aside from a couple throwaway mentions of the bad stuff he has done recently, this article was basically talking about how luxurious and wonderful it is, how nice Trump is here, and how Camp David now seems obsolete.

This is going to suck for a few years, isn't it.

I am actually, truly finished with NYT after 2016. I will not give them ad hits. They will never get my money.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

What election did you watch?

This makes perfect sense.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I'm just saying it is going to be really hard to financially support real journalism when this kind of shit ends up on the front page.

Yeah, but don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, I guess. The NYT at least believes in facts and evidence and objective reality. That needs supporting. And anyway you can still send angry tweets to the NYT and hope to improve their paper, can't do that if they go under.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    The NYT looks like it just did a puff piece for Trump, saying that his combative personality melts away at Mar-
    a-Lago, a future Winter White House.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/01/us/trump-mar-a-lago-future-winter-white-house.html

Aside from a couple throwaway mentions of the bad stuff he has done recently, this article was basically talking about how luxurious and wonderful it is, how nice Trump is here, and how Camp David now seems obsolete.

This is going to suck for a few years, isn't it.

I am actually, truly finished with NYT after 2016. I will not give them ad hits. They will never get my money.

The NYT is complicit in normalizing fascism at this point, as far as I'm concerned. I don't know if they were ever any good, but they sure as shit ain't now.

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The NYT has consistently been an elitist rag that has more or less been coasting on the Pentagon Papers and Watergate since the 1970's like most other national "papers of record." Queue subsequent boomer worship about their importance.

Just recall their assumption that Aleppo was the capital of Syria while lambasting Gary Johnson's ignorance of the city. They're all David Brooks now.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I am pretty sure that is not how it works.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    If the Democrats oppose or support anything, the Republicans will destroy them in the media because they're actually a cohesive unit in terms of hating Democrats.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

If they let Republicans nominate and place whoever they like some Dem voters will be annoyed that they did so.

If they block attempts by Republicans to nominate whoever they want without forcing at least some degree of compromise some Dem voters will be annoyed they did so.

Given either scenario results in losing some number of voters I'd rather go with the one that blocks shitty appointments.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    The NYT has consistently been an elitist rag that has more or less been coasting on the Pentagon Papers and Watergate since the 1970's like most other national "papers of record." Queue subsequent boomer worship about their importance.

Just recall their assumption that Aleppo was the capital of Syria while lambasting Gary Johnson's ignorance of the city. They're all David Brooks now.

I recall them putting 4 articles on Hilary's emails on the front page after Comey's letter

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

If they let Republicans nominate and place whoever they like some Dem voters will be annoyed that they did so.

If they block attempts by Republicans to nominate whoever they want without forcing at least some degree of compromise some Dem voters will be annoyed they did so.

Given either scenario results in losing some number of voters I'd rather go with the one that blocks shitty appointments.

To put it another way, if the Democrats support Trump's nominees, the two sides truly are the same. Seriously, they are all completely unacceptable/insane.
    There's a difference between obstruction for obstruction's sake and obstruction to try to prevent a catastrophe.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    If the Democrats oppose or support anything, the Republicans will destroy them in the media because they're actually a cohesive unit in terms of hating Democrats.

They were going to do that anyway.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    No matter what the Dems do re: Trump's nominations, they'll get demonized by someone. Since they can't win anyways, they might as well stick to their principles and go down swinging. If ever there was a metaphorical hill to die on, it would be on Capitol Hill whilst blocking every toxic cabinet pick the Trump camp makes.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    They were going to do that anyway.
    Oh, of course. But they'll at least have "something" to whine about. :wink:

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

That isn't a record setting amount. That was '74 when we murdered 970 people.

It is the highest since the 90's and hopefully a one off aberration that will revert to mean again. Not that he cares about Chicago.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

It is the highest since the 90's and hopefully a one off aberration that will revert to mean again. Not that he cares about Chicago.

How many people were shot in 1974? Maybe that's the record.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It's kind of amazing what people in the GOP will do for power. They'll fuck over anyone and everything just to stay in power.

Hopefully that'll fuck 'em in the long run, but who fucking knows. I really don't want to think about what a Trump presidency might mean for the long run of our country.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    No matter what the Dems do re: Trump's nominations, they'll get demonized by someone. Since they can't win anyways, they might as well stick to their principles and go down swinging. If ever there was a metaphorical hill to die on, it would be on Capitol Hill whilst blocking every toxic cabinet pick the Trump camp makes.

I think they can personally win by getting re-elected. That way they still have a job that pays a salary.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Honestly I think the biggest problem for the politics of our country is just the general lack of awareness or care people have.

When only half of the public votes, of course problems arise.

At the presidential level as well as the state and local level.

How do you solve a problem of such widespread voter apathy and lack of care for civic issues?

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Maybe, but I'm not all that willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

For the Trump campaign and his administration, everything is historic, record-setting, or "the best" when it benefits their argument to call it that. It doesn't matter if it actually is historic/record-setting/the best or if it's typical or even low.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Honestly I think the biggest problem for the politics of our country is just the general lack of awareness or care people have.

How do you solve a problem of such widespread voter apathy and lack of care for civic issues?

Vote by mail.

Washington and Oregon had huge turnout percentage relative to the rest of the country.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

Vote by mail.

Washington and Oregon had huge turnout percentage relative to the rest of the country.

That's never going to happen, because the people who have won right now want to keep conditions like they are, right now.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

I wonder if he is gearing up to take on sanctuary cities or just trumping around.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm constantly confounded by the assertion that papers should be able to blatantly lie, with the assurance that people should instead be free to figure out whatever the truth is themselves. It's a laudable goal for someone I'm sure, but my question is always: why should this always end with the papers? Should politicians also be free to lie, with nothing but the freedom to search for the truth yourself? What about police? Car salesman? At what point exactly do we draw the line where lying is no longer okay, because the truth is still potentially obtainable somewhere else?

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

That is not what he said. The words he did say are in the quote tree. Those words are objectively wrong. Because he does not care.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Off topic, sorry.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

I think they can personally win by getting re-elected. That way they still have a job that pays a salary.

I think you completely missed my point.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Javen wrote: »
    I'm constantly confounded by the assertion that papers should be able to blatantly lie, with the assurance that people should instead be free to figure out whatever the truth is themselves. It's a laudable goal for someone I'm sure, but my question is always: why should this always end with the papers? Should politicians also be free to lie, with nothing but the freedom to search for the truth yourself? What about police? Car salesman? At what point exactly do we draw the line where lying is no longer okay, because the truth is still potentially obtainable somewhere else?

Going against reality is fine as long as people do what you want. It has been like this forever. see drug and sexuality education in school and Appeal to consequences fallacy in creationism.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

I think you completely missed my point.

I think many legislative officials miss the point

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

Pretty sure fraud and consumer protection laws aren't going to be as strong 4 years from now.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    People are underestimating how much America hates the party in the White House.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    a

We will get a followup tweet or media mention "Oh yeah it turns out I talked to some republicans and they said we hate federal government. I keep forgetting that part so were not going to actually help"

edit: back on the conspiracy train, it would be amazing if trump would give a light plan on how to solve a problem, then immediately follow it up by "sorry forgot I was republican" for the next 8 years.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    a

We will get a followup tweet or media mention "Oh yeah it turns out I talked to some republicans and they said we hate federal government. I keep forgetting that part so were not going to actually help"

edit: back on the conspiracy train, it would be amazing if trump would give a light plan on how to solve a problem, then immediately follow it up by "sorry forgot I was republican" for the next 8 years.

Republicans love the federal government. They're only against "big government" when they don't control it.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

I wonder if he is gearing up to take on sanctuary cities or just trumping around.

He's bringing it up because it was the subject of a 60 Minutes piece last night.

I wouldn't read too deeply into it.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2017
    oops not the chat thread

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.